Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: bafflingtulip

I wonder though that many Indian actors have tried breaking into Hollywood . Even Bollywood actresses who attend Cannes etc. How interested is the western media in them? Is this exposure hyped in India? Many western fashion websites I have seen don't even show pictures of Sonam/Ash etc. So while India is represented globally, is it also appreciated in the West to the extent that the Indian media portrays it to be?

Till date, I don't understand why the Indian heroines are SO hyped when they get to Cannes, when they're not even starring in any of the featured movies? What is actually their purpose of being there?

I think Indians are appreciated abroad, but in the same way as portrayed by Indian media.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Deewangi

How so...Are Indians, Chinese, etc. living in America not American all of a sudden? To be American, one must be white? 

As an Indian, I am proud to say Priyanka Chopra is from my country and I think its time we stop being condescending towards our own culture. 

All I see on the thread of Quantico's trailer on IF is hate on her accent (which sounds absolutely fine, I can assure you as a North American). Her "Exotic" music video too has around 65 million views on YT and it was a great song! Yet all I saw on IF and specifically from Indian users on YT was hate while people from around the world, be it white, yellow, black, or red were praising her looks, the video, and her voice. So lets not characterize people...Us Indians tend to be the most abashed towards our own nationality. Unsurprisingly, her WORST critics seem to be her OWN people. 

I think its her efforts and hard work that has brought her this far. Today she represents India on an  international scale and from here...sky is the limit. Hope this Desi Girl goes places!

You are confused between caring for people in another country like India vs caring for people ORIGINALLY from another country like India but are citizens of USA. In the latter case you are still caring for an American citizen/someone living in America. Americans in general have really less idea of what happening in the world. 
LSctt thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
cant believe this girl did barfi!!! The acting and ACCENT is just bad!!!!

http://youtu.be/s7gJ74ARN84
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Wooowww...she's gonna play an FBI agent :o it's so nice how they tweaked the script! I've always wondered if our Indian-Am there join FBI, CIA, special forces etc etc... Yayyy :D
What channel will this serial be telecasted on? Can we watch it in India?
Hmmm, there are many series with American Indians to be shown to have American accent and not the Apu kind from Simpson. So west definitely has shows which reflect immigrant Indians with heavy Indian accent and American Indians with the casual American accent. No clue how she's breaking the stereotype especially given the half Caucasian bit...
LSctt thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

I cant see but that's sad :(

I'm not a fan but thought the show and acting would definitely recommend better than this 🀒
LSctt thumbnail
The trailer is so bad!!! Would have been expected at least better acting from her as we all know she can't do an American accent!
I had dialect coaching to sound even more American and how much I have laughed! Because I told them in India anyway people think I have an accent, now with Quantico, that's on some other level
--------
Way to make a fool of yourself. More like you made others laugh with your delusional statement. Yes you had an accent, but it had neither American head nor tail to it.
Edited by Fiery-Phoenix - 8 years ago
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

She never had an American accent.  Just because you don't sound like Abu from the Simpsons doesn't mean you automatically have an American accent.  Her accent has always been Indian.  As it is, she doesn't sound like a natural American in this show either.  Her speech pattern and flow is not natural, but she's trying really hard so good for her in that regard.

And I would have appreciated her attempt at fighting racism much more if she hadn't agreed to special make up and prosthetics to make herself look like Mary Kom.  I'm sure there are a lot of talented Indian artists with similar features to Mary Kom.  

This is bang on, I find PC's attempts to fit in & constantly state how "she grew up in America", very amusing. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†Studying somewhere, for a few years, doesn't mean that she "grew up" in that country, by that logic I've grown up in a quite a few countries. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

That said, she definitely doesn't have a typical  Indian accent. Women like Lara  Dutta, PC, Ash, Sush do not have "Indian" accents or rather, the west, America's perception of them. 

Americans are warm, very friendly & open from my experience, and culturally curious esp if the culture is Indian but asking Indians whether they play with snakes & do they have to walk to school is probably not the best way to endear yourself to an Indian. πŸ˜† This has actually happened to me but yes, my experience dealing with Americans is limited, so maybe these are just a handful of ignoramuses. 
Deviant_Pixel thumbnail
Originally posted by: Chippeshwini

Till date, I don't understand why the Indian heroines are SO hyped when they get to Cannes, when they're not even starring in any of the featured movies? What is actually their purpose of being there?

I think Indians are appreciated abroad, but in the same way as portrayed by Indian media.

Yeah they are only brand ambassadors. Also considering the population of our country it is pretty shocking at the low number of Indian movies that have been showcased at Cannes. 

I'm sure the Hollywood celebs appreciate them etc. but the western media shows very little interest in anything that isn't European/American. That's why I'm curious to know while we deem SRK/Ash to be 'global' , we are only really referring to NRI's? How many Europeans/Americans actually know them is something I am curious about!