Fan Fictions

India-Forums

Fan Fictions
Fan Fictions

Software Symphony 21 Plan & Pilfer on 17 (Page 50)

nividances IF-Dazzler
nividances
nividances

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged
This was a recent Humans of Bombay post. In the end the girl talks about choice and I think she does a much better job of it than Ms. Padukone managed to do. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/imaansheikh/from-kamathipura-to-america

"I've grown up in a red light area, surrounded by the flesh trade all my life. At 12, I've been asked for my 'rate' and cried myself to sleep because I didn't understand it. But you want to know what's worse? It's that the men who came to ask would all be from the 'upper class' as you call it with shiny cars and the perception that they could 'buy' anything. But the women there are my family...they've taken care of me when my mother would have to go work at a factory near by and treated with me so much love and kindness, but I still grew up with a very low self esteem because of my dark color. I don't know why you have to be fair to be beautiful...and because I'm dark I've always been called ugly. Once my 12th standard ended, I decided to make a change. I told the people at my Municipal school that I wanted to study, learn English and make something of myself. That's when I went to an organization called Kranti.

I spent the next year, traveling across India conducting workshops on sex education and that's when I realized that not everyone judges me for my background and kind of got my self esteem back. I've always been a day dreamer, so I randomly just said it out loud one day that I want to go America (at that point I didn't even know if it was a continent, city or a country) and through Kranti's efforts I got a full scholarship at Bard College to study Liberal Arts. We crowd sourced the rest of the money for my accomodation and day to day expenses and my life has just turned around...I've been to semester at Sea, I speak fluent English and have amazing entrepreneurial ideas to make a difference to my home...to Kamathipura. 

Yes, open your mind about my home. Accept that people have choices and know that so many women there are in it by choice...because it's their source of livelihood. As Indians, we need to judge less and accept things that are not always in our comfort zone, because my background is not my weakness...I'm me, and no location can define who I am."

Edited by nividances - 13 May 2015 at 5:56pm

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

Bindi35snekkentikalavathi5DivashniRaBirSunshineBlissdristi64blue5skyHsp.canadashidin0117Seriousreaderishruhiputti77

blue5sky Goldie
blue5sky
blue5sky

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nividances

This was a recent Humans of Bombay post. In the end the girl talks about choice and I think she does a much better job of it than Ms. Padukone managed to do. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/imaansheikh/from-kamathipura-to-america

"I've grown up in a red light area, surrounded by the flesh trade all my life. At 12, I've been asked for my 'rate' and cried myself to sleep because I didn't understand it. But you want to know what's worse? It's that the men who came to ask would all be from the 'upper class' as you call it with shiny cars and the perception that they could 'buy' anything. But the women there are my family...they've taken care of me when my mother would have to go work at a factory near by and treated with me so much love and kindness, but I still grew up with a very low self esteem because of my dark color. I don't know why you have to be fair to be beautiful...and because I'm dark I've always been called ugly. Once my 12th standard ended, I decided to make a change. I told the people at my Municipal school that I wanted to study, learn English and make something of myself. That's when I went to an organization called Kranti.

I spent the next year, traveling across India conducting workshops on sex education and that's when I realized that not everyone judges me for my background and kind of got my self esteem back. I've always been a day dreamer, so I randomly just said it out loud one day that I want to go America (at that point I didn't even know if it was a continent, city or a country) and through Kranti's efforts I got a full scholarship at Bard College to study Liberal Arts. We crowd sourced the rest of the money for my accomodation and day to day expenses and my life has just turned around...I've been to semester at Sea, I speak fluent English and have amazing entrepreneurial ideas to make a difference to my home...to Kamathipura. 

Yes, open your mind about my home. Accept that people have choices and know that so many women there are in it by choice...because it's their source of livelihood. As Indians, we need to judge less and accept things that are not always in our comfort zone, because my background is not my weakness...I'm me, and no location can define who I am."

As always when I found a breather..i went online and the last page of the thread trying to figure out if I have missed an update.

And I found your article. What a beautiful anti-dote to all that seems to fill the news about India off late.

Could not agree more with the girls definition of choice.Little stories like this are so heart warming. I know many kids like teach English at organisations like Kranti, mothers that teach their maids kids along with their own, bachelors in Bangalore who pay their maids kid's school fees together with the salary they pay her. And then there is the snigger of OH the NGO types at cocktails. You need them afterall they make giving easy for people like us who would like to give but have mile long daily to do lists! 

When Kids come back as say ' oh that was easy' after tutoring a needy child there is a glint in the eyes and a sense of peace that comes from giving.

It does not take much to be non-judging a little less ego and space in your mind to think of another. So true Nivi choice can transform yourself and the world around you!

Thank you for the article.Thumbs Up

I just love this thread!! Awesome tale, awesome writer and awesome people!Hug

have nice day everyone!

And Nisha who rarely gets to read all that we write...as always waiting for more...

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

kalavathi5DivashniSunshineBlissdristi64Hsp.canadanividancesshidin0117ishruhiputti77

nividances IF-Dazzler
nividances
nividances

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Seriousreader

Why do children carry iPads to school?Ouch
Do they really need to...
Childhood was simple for my generation...happier without such gadgets

I don't know about India, but I know here in the US a lot of schools have begun to use e-textbooks, so the schools themselves are supplying iPads for classroom use rather than purchasing books. My younger brother has never lugged home a heavy book since 8th grade because everything was available online, from homework problems to required readings. However, I do know that the school iPads are only meant to be used in the classroom and they are not allowed outside of the building. I'm not sure about kids using their own personal devices in school, as our school district prohibits the use of cell phones during school hours, so everyone including teachers and students has to keep their phones turned off within that time frame.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

RaBirSunshineBlisskalavathi5Divashniblue5skyHsp.canadaishruhiputti77

shidin0117 IF-Dazzler
shidin0117
shidin0117

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nividances

Originally posted by Seriousreader

Why do children carry iPads to school?Ouch
Do they really need to...
Childhood was simple for my generation...happier without such gadgets

I don't know about India, but I know here in the US a lot of schools have begun to use e-textbooks, so the schools themselves are supplying iPads for classroom use rather than purchasing books. My younger brother has never lugged home a heavy book since 8th grade because everything was available online, from homework problems to required readings. However, I do know that the school iPads are only meant to be used in the classroom and they are not allowed outside of the building. I'm not sure about kids using their own personal devices in school, as our school district prohibits the use of cell phones during school hours, so everyone including teachers and students has to keep their phones turned off within that time frame.

Yeah Nivi...these schools are called e-techno schools. even here cell phones r not allowed inside the classroom or they have to turn it off. But coming to books, its literally a burden here, my son's school bag weighs b/w 5-7 kgs. I weighed it...He is very skinny and when he carries the bag, he leans forward. I always write in the suggestion and complaints book but nothing has been done. There is a rule that school bags shld not weigh more than 3kgs. Thank god he goes in van, but still climbing up 2 floors of stairs ...plus lunch bag, plus other things like his sport shoes, karate dress...CryCry

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Hsp.canadaSeriousreaderishruhi

putti77 IF-Rockerz
putti77
putti77

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SAKIV-RAM

6AM IST

ROFLROFL

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SeriousreaderSAKIVIAM

nividances IF-Dazzler
nividances
nividances

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SAKIV-RAM

6AM IST

I'm liking the punctuality my friend. Big smile

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

RaBirDivashniHsp.canadaSeriousreadershidin0117SAKIVIAMputti77

samsi74 Groupbie
samsi74
samsi74

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ishruhi

Originally posted by samsi74

What powerful updates Nisha !I'm speechless. I read updates while travelling to work from the mobile and yet to get the hang of making posts from that. Whole day I was hurting. Like it's my kid who did that and bala scolded me! I can't remember a day I have been this upset over a fictional situation. So much so that today's bedtime stories to my kids wove around stealing! I told shravu's problem to them (saying he's a son of a friend) and asked what they would do? They came up with very cute solutions like they would ask a tab for their birthday or they will start a piggy bank and save all the gift money they get from relatives for new year! By the end of the session I was sobbing! My heart goes to Shravu.How I wish someone will sit down with him and explain there are always things you like but can't afford and there are better solutions than stealing.
Hats off to you Nisha .

samsi you kids are so cute..hope nandu will react somewhat similar..

Thanks Ishruhi! I always try to make bedtime stories into lessons of civics and ethics in a simple way.Today it was very close to the heart.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Hsp.canadadristi64shidin0117ishruhiputti77

SAKIVIAM IF-Rockerz
SAKIVIAM
SAKIVIAM

Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged
After SOSY some invisible alaram is installed in my mind yaar.
automatically wakes up around 5:50 -6:10.
And first thing I do is open my nlappy and check for update.
today din't found yet

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

shidin0117putti77

Go to top