India-Forums

Dharamkshetra discussion thread 2 (Page 30)

CaptainSpark IF-Rockerz
CaptainSpark
CaptainSpark

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Adishakti

I feel the problem with Karna and Kunti is that while people look at Karna from Kaliyug perspective, they don't extend the same courtesy to Kunti
Karna was abandoned at birth by his birth mother...we keep blaming Kunti for that because being unwed mother is not such a big deal now..women are independent enough and more than that society is tolerant enough to accept them. Kunti did not have the option of keeping him 

She actually did a favor to Karna by leaving him in water. he got adopted by decent parents and got a chance at life. If Kunti had not abandoned him it would have been either death or life worse than death for both of them 

and the fact that vyasa mentions Surya as the father who is a God revered by Hindus completely obliterated the fact that...Kunti was 12-13 year old child, who did not have the maturity or perspective to understand implication of her actions

If the same thing happened today, by an ordinary mortal...it would have been rape and Karna would have been a rape child. And the only one who would get blamed for Karna's plight would be his father. 
And actually praise Kunti for giving birth to the child and letting it go so that it adopted in a loving family.

As far as revealing the truth only before war..why not..except a couple of insults what was wrong in Karna's life for Kunti to jeopardize her other children's future for him..except Draupadi and brahmastra what else was missing in his life, for Kunti to state the truth and ruin Pandavas lives

When war became inevitable she did what any good mother would do, try to ensure her sons victory, she asked Karna to join Pandavs so that all six of them can win. and if that was not possible atleast safeguard their lives..if not all of them atleast as many as possible.. Why she didn't tell pandavs..if she told them Pandavas wouldn't fight.btheqn duryodhan and the whole world will know. Would duryodhan be nice to pandavs when if he came to know the truth. Hell would he be nice to Karna if he came to know the truth

Totally agree with whatever you said Adi... Smile
Infact this is the reason after Arjuna Kunti is my most favourite character..

CaptainSpark IF-Rockerz
CaptainSpark
CaptainSpark

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by amritat

Originally posted by CaptainSpark

Amrita

Not quoting your incredibly long postLOLDefinitely Karna is the most popular character of Mahabharat even outside Bengal.. But it is true..atleast from my experience, that Bengalis see Karna is another light.. they workship him more than others.. in general.. And I feel Kashidashi Mahabharata, Karna Kunti Sangbad, Pother Panchali's Karna scene are highly responsible for this.. I am not blaming the authors for their creative liberty.. Ofcourse they can write. Infact they have given us some of the best literary pieces... Its not anyones fault but I feel Bengalis are a bigger lover of tragedy as a whole and also tears (Have you seen Bengali serials?LOL).. The whole world are lovers of tragedy.. Hamlet and Macbeth are anyday more popular than Merchant of Venice or Comedy of Errors.. But I still feel Bengalis are a bit more inclined.. you don't have to think the same..

As far Madhusudan Dutta is concerned, I agree with every word you said about him being one of best poets Bengal and the whole of world has seen... I am again not blaming him.. But his Meghnath vadh Kavya is highly a great example of workshipping villians.. I DONT MEAN TO DEMEAN HIM. It is a classic poem...BUT...the point remains.. these poems provoke workshipping of villians as a whole.. Thinking that villians the ones we knew as bad were not actually bad..this idea..

LOL
I actually tend to write long long posts...Brevity is something I am yet to learn...

As for Bengalis...I agree completely...Bengalis are the biggest worshippers of Karna...
Best examples of that are in this forum only...
Even KMG is often called a Karna fan n he was a Bengali... LOL

But I have also seen the same fandom in South...Someone once told me that in South India, SEVENTEEN movies in total have been made on Karna... LOL Dont know how true that is!!
But I can well imagine how Draupadi was portrayed in them... Wink

Anyway, this is something we cannot change...
I guess because Banga is a part of Anga...n maybe that's y, there is so much of Karna worship here...
But then that should make most Punjabis fans of Panchali too...not sure wat is her status in Punjab... LOL

I agree that Michael Madhusudan Dutta was the pioneer of the Inversion Theory...
But I dont mind that unless the facts are distorted...
If someone says Duryodhan was a better warrior than Bhima...then I dont mind that...because he was.
But if someone says he asked Draupadi to sit on his thighs because he felt sorry that she was standing n yelling for so long n needed a place to sit n rest... Dead then... Dead
I actually do not consider any of them as villains anymore, except Dushasen...so Inversion Theory is fine,as long as there is logic n integrity in the portayal n no intensional whitewashing of the villains...

And y do I think so about Kunti?
Well...I once read a citation...a conversation between Kunti n Lord Krishna where Kunti clearly states her motives for visiting Karna...Please check that once...I am very bad at providing citations...
She clearly states wat she want...so I cant help but feel that her intentions werent pure... Cry

And y do I think, that Draupadi's sharing was intentional?
For that u have to read all the sections before Draupadi's Swamvar thoroughly...Like u said, not everything can be proved with just citations...we need to read between the lines...Read all the sections from there n carefully observe Kunti's reactions, silence n even actions...U will realize y I think that way...

Believe me, apart from these two things, I actually like Kunti...n I HATE Kunti bashers...
Only a woman in her place would know how she felt when she had to abandon Karna... Cry

@bold - ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL
Did someone say that? D'oh

Yes Amrita Inversion Theory is not a problem at all.. Infact it is a really beautiful aspect of literature according to me.. Smile Its just that there are people who conclude that Meghnath/Indrajeet or maybe Karna... are great men from such texts.. I am sure you know few examples Wink And they take these texts as ultimate and not a work of fiction.. problem lies there..
Tagore wrote on Karna that does not mean Tagore was emotionally attached to Karna ShockedConfused Also, in scenes like Pother Panchali,, people valiantly claim Bibhutibhushan is a Karna fan.. These things is what I have a problem with... You see K of Karna and you are all set to call him a Karna fan.. this is not done!
Should I start calling "Karan Johar"'s parents Karna fans or "Arjun Kapoor"'s parents Arjuna fans? Confused

Now coming to Kunti.. I was just curious to know. Will surely try to find out the citation Smile And regarding division, we should not argue on that all over again as its pretty clear our views don't really match there right... LOL
CaptainSpark IF-Rockerz
CaptainSpark
CaptainSpark

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by amritat

Originally posted by indianprincess

@amrita
being a punjabi myself as far as my experience goes...punjabis are more into ramayan than MB.
draupadi is respected atleast in the older generationin punjabLOL
i know many women of my grandmom's age who are named draupadi, even non hindus would name their daughter after her in punjab.. one being our close relative herself.

Then that is great news... Big smile
Even I have a friend named Yajnaseni...but that is rare in Bengal...
I guess Bengal houses both haters n lovers of Draupadi... LOL I have seen some of the worst haters of Draupadi to be Bengalis...n some of the biggest fans as well...

As for Karna, many Punjabis are named Karan...
And it's ironic that in Bengal, most people worship Karna but I have rarely come across a man whose named after Karna...
But I know a lot of Bengalis who are named Sabyasachi, Arjun, Parth,etc...

I have heard from my grandmother that she actually fought with my dad (His name is Sabyasachi LOL) for naming me Yajnaseni...Smile I wish I was named that Cry
Anyways, my cousin is names Yajnaseni. I have seen numerous girls names Panchaali and Krishnaa. Kalyani is a bit old fashioned though LOL
And ya..the irony I quite agree LOL
CaptainSpark IF-Rockerz
CaptainSpark
CaptainSpark

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Urmila11

As for the name issue, I must have to say that it's my favourite character whose name is never used Cry I have heard Yajnaseni, Panchali, Krishnaa, Kalyani, Arjun, Partha, Sabyasachi, and even Karna. But none likes to name a baby boy after Yudhi, in fact his beautiful name is used to mock people (mostly in Bengal).
Yeah. Satyabadi Yudhishthir is used to mock people LOLLOL
Maverick_me Goldie
Maverick_me
Maverick_me

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:18am | IP Logged

sema, i know many boys/men with yudi's name...so don't worryLOL.
not as common as arjun but still.
btw did u happen to watch any of ekta kapoors soap, many of her male character's had that name.

Wow that's a good news Embarrassed thank you for letting me know. No I watch nothing except Mythological serials or films. But if Ekta Kapoor did so, please tell me few names so that I can watch just to hear the name Day Dreaming

Have you heard Yudhisthir Urs, the famous Vj on channel V? He calls himself "Yudi" I am a fan of his that's why for me Mr Y from mbh is 'Yudi' Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DharmaPriyaa

DharmaPriyaa IF-Dazzler
DharmaPriyaa
DharmaPriyaa

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maverick_me

sema, i know many boys/men with yudi's name...so don't worryLOL.
not as common as arjun but still.
btw did u happen to watch any of ekta kapoors soap, many of her male character's had that name.

Wow that's a good news Embarrassed thank you for letting me know. No I watch nothing except Mythological serials or films. But if Ekta Kapoor did so, please tell me few names so that I can watch just to hear the name Day Dreaming

Have you heard Yudhisthir Urs, the famous Vj on channel V? He calls himself "Yudi" I am a fan of his that's why for me Mr Y from mbh is 'Yudi' Smile

No I didn't hear that but I think I have seen this name while searching net for my Dharmaraj LOL and I always use Yudhi as if it was his nickname LOL Draupadi used to call him Jaya I guess. Pandavas have 5 nicknames for Draupadi's special use.

Maverick_me

Brahmaputra IF-Sizzlerz
Brahmaputra
Brahmaputra

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
Amrita, I seem to have holding records of being the first Karnala in many things.LOL Bad joke, I know. Amd I agree with whatever you wrote about Kunti. I am adding nothing to it only because I will not stop once I beginLOL... You might be right that I felt hardly anything while reading the poem because I did not read it in Bengali. Reading the same in Bengali will be an entirely different feeling. I am sure. Translations are always helpful only for superficial understanding. I am not at all disagreeing with Tagore. Who am I to disagree with him? What I meant was people fail to see Kunti in their urge of connecting with Karna. Even though Tagore wrote this poem only with a great vision, this poem is wrongly understood. It is not at all Tagore's problem. It is the problem in people's understanding. And I am a little shocked seeing this masterpiece work is used to demean a character which Tagore himself would have never imagined.

Edited by Brahmaputra - 25 May 2015 at 12:44pm

amritat

Brahmaputra IF-Sizzlerz
Brahmaputra
Brahmaputra

Posted: 25 May 2015 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
Brishti, I agree with you on Kunti. But I don't think the poem demeans her. But what demeans her or not is the mind which reads it. There is a difference. Many times we understand things based on our understanding. I am not saying that is wrong. That is what naturally comes to people. Still, a second thought is not a bad option. Not having a second thought after reading the poem is what makes kunti mean there. And I provided Drona's reference only because you asked. I am certain that Karna was NOWHERE a student of Drona which is backed by geographical & chronological evidences availabke in MB. And in MB, there are two stories of one Karna & I have chosen the second one as I have been bored & already done with the first.LOL

CaptainSpark

Go to top