Epic Channel

Dharamkshetra discussion thread 2 - Page 19

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Interesting discussions going on...

From Ramayan to Mahabharat to Rabindranath Tagore to Madhusudhan Dutta...wow...

As for Karna...well the new serial with Karna on Sony is sending chills down my spine... πŸ˜†
With another show on none other than Karna, I can clearly visualize the state of the forum... πŸ˜†
Same old debates, same old discussions n sarcastic members...same old bashing...everything will start again...
My curiosity wont let me stay away from the forum n those debates will start there as well...with some new members joining the group... πŸ˜†

I wish Siddharth Tewary had chosen some other area of interest... 😭

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DurgaS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: .Sanskruti

I jst want to comment on that part in red... its nt mentioned in CE also I have read it nowhere except Karnas POV books like MJ and KW bt I firmly dnt believe that a skilled archer like Arjuna would jst kill a innocent boy mistakenly.. Its an later edit for me😊

Hmm ok thanks. I too hadn't read that anywhere else before. Maybe a Karna supporter must have added that to give weightage to his purpose to kill Arjun. 

Btw, what are CE, MJ and KW? 

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: DurgaS

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">Hmm ok thanks. I too hadn't read that anywhere else before. Maybe a Karna supporter must have added that to give weightage to his purpose to kill Arjun.</font>

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="2" color="#000066">Btw, what are CE, MJ and KW?</font>

CE is Critical Edition of Mahabharat.
MJ is a novel on Karna named 'Mrityunjay' by Shivaji Sawant...
KW is another modern novel named 'Karna's Wife' by Kavita Kane...

As for that killing son thing...well that character Sudaman, Karna's son, is not there in KMG or CE...I dont know of any version that has it...Sudaman is either a folktale or Shivaji Sawant's creation...not sure..
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: amritat

As for Karna...well the new serial with Karna on Sony is sending chills down my spine... πŸ˜†
With another show on none other than Karna, I can clearly visualize the state of the forum... πŸ˜†
Same old debates, same old discussions n sarcastic members...same old bashing...everything will start again...
My curiosity wont let me stay away from the forum n those debates will start there as well...with some new members joining the group... πŸ˜†

Yes man.. I really wish he did! Same old Karna πŸ˜† 
And @bold - I always say moment we say karna, atleast in front of Bengalis, comes Tagore for his ONE poemπŸ˜† People keep on proving my point, Tagore should atleast be given 50% credit for makin Karna the KARNA THE GREAT!
And Madhushan Dutta should be given almost more than half the credit for Bengalis having this urge to workship villians, and think.. they are not actually wrong.

OKay now I should stop or else people will accuse me for bashing Tagore and Dutta 🀣
CaptainSpark thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: DurgaS

@Brishti_Sarkar / Captain Spark - First of all congrats on your runner up award. 

Thank you so much! 😊

Thanks to you too for taking out the last straw in the Draupadi Karna angle. 

Also, thanks for the explanation and I do agree with you. Arjun never claimed he was the best archer. It was Drona all the way. I like your example of the beating the best author. Absurd indeed. πŸ˜† 

So with Karna being abandoned, raised with love but not as a warrior as he would have liked to, being cursed time and again and not being allowed to prove his expertise; he goes ahead and makes rash decisions, becomes friends with the wrong guy and ends up dying at the hands of a warrior without even being able to give him a good fight. Whatever he was trying to attain for whatever reason, he couldn't do it. All this leading to nothing. 

Haha! Just wanted to make my post entertaining hence such an example πŸ˜† Agree with you. This lead to nothing. He had potential, but he wasted it according to me. But the reason I don't sympathize on him is that where he could not help it, okay. It was unfortunate. Like Kunti abandoning him was not in his hands.
But where he COULD help, he did not. That is my reason for not liking this character or having any sympathy actually πŸ˜†
Edited by CaptainSpark - 8 years ago
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
1. Nowhere it is said that Karna asked for Brahmastra before completion of his studies. In fact, Arjuna was given Brahmashiras before he completed studies. Also Brahmastra was a relatively small weapon during MB times. There were better weapons than it.
2. AFAIR, the only context where Karna says he wanted to kill Arjuna is when he took Asura vrata. And it was Arjuna who first said he would kill Karna, in rangabhoomi itself. Karna has no dialogues before Rangabhoomi event. Karna wanting to kill Arjuna since gurukula times makes no sense as there is nothing which proves so.
3. Arjuna did not kill any son of Karna. That is the creaction of the most horrible FF ever written on Karna - Mrityunjaya. I have never read such a worse work on Mahabharata & don't get why it is praised often as a classic. In fact, Mrityunjaya is full of such stupis stories that are written to justify whatever Karna did. I find no sense in any of those. And honeslty, how did the author think that Arjuna who passed the bird's eye test when he was much younger & broke the fish's eye of Draupadi swayamvara competition, was careless & unskilled enough to fail in recognising a boy?
DurgaS thumbnail

CE is Critical Edition of Mahabharat.
MJ is a novel on Karna named 'Mrityunjay' by Shivaji Sawant...
KW is another modern novel named 'Karna's Wife' by Kavita Kane...

As for that killing son thing...well that character Sudaman, Karna's son, is not there in KMG or CE...I dont know of any version that has it...Sudaman is either a folktale or Shivaji Sawant's creation...not sure..

Oh ok thanks. The only MB I read was C Rajagopalachari's Mahabharat written in English which is a shortened version of Vyasa's MB. All these different versions, interpolations has now confused me. I think I will go and read CR's MB once again in peace. 

Edited by DurgaS - 8 years ago
CaptainSpark thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Brahmaputra

1. Nowhere it is said that Karna asked for Brahmastra before completion of his studies. In fact, Arjuna was given Brahmashiras before he completed studies. Also Brahmastra was a relatively small weapon during MB times. There were better weapons than it.

But Jamy, Arjuna did not ASK for it. Drona gave it to him himself. A teacher thinking you are deserving is different. But you being overconfident about yourself, and asking for a weapon like that is not good. That is I guess..the difference here. Okay, let us accept he did not ask before completing studies. But how do you prove he completed it? I mean, he asked in the middle of Gurukul so...
LIke even if you have completed class 12, you can apply for going to IIT. You cannot say give me the degree now.

2. AFAIR, the only context where Karna says he wanted to kill Arjuna is when he took Asura vrata. And it was Arjuna who first said he would kill Karna, in rangabhoomi itself. Karna has no dialogues before Rangabhoomi event. Karna wanting to kill Arjuna since gurukula times makes no sense as there is nothing which proves so.

He asked for B to fight Arjuna. So he wanted to fight just for fun and had to intention of killing/defeating Arjuna? πŸ˜• I ask again, is he a fool of what? No! I hate Karna but I never thought he could be such a fool... In Rangabhoomi, he jumps in all of a sudden and says "Hey that guy is not as good as me I am better and I will prove." Mind you he jumped when Drona called ARJUNA the best. I am sure if he would call Ashwi the best (considering he is an archer I took his example) then I don't think K would jump in. So he was a fool that he had no intention of killing/defeating/proving himself superior to Arjuna? Err... πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
Sorry if I sound harsh but,

3. Arjuna did not kill any son of Karna. That is the creaction of the most horrible FF ever written on Karna - Mrityunjaya. I have never read such a worse work on Mahabharata & don't get why it is praised often as a classic. In fact, Mrityunjaya is full of such stupis stories that are written to justify whatever Karna did. I find no sense in any of those. And honeslty, how did the author think that Arjuna who passed the bird's eye test when he was much younger & broke the fish's eye of Draupadi swayamvara competition, was careless & unskilled enough to fail in recognising a boy?

Edited by CaptainSpark - 8 years ago
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

I dont get it what is so much there in Karna's life to be shown in a daily soap. I am not being anti Karna here. For a film, it is okay. There is enough. But for a daily show, there is nothing much written about his life in MB. He comes, says something sharp or sweet, fights & goes. This is what MB has about him. I read that the show will be based on MJ. In that case, it is better not to watch. Trust me, that book is good for nothing. I hate it to the core coz many people believe what stupidity written in it is the ultimate truth about Karna. As you said, that forum will have same old debates which have became boring for me now. How long we shall debate on same things without reaching at any point? πŸ˜†. Honeslty, there is nothing left to discuss about Karna than what did in MB forum. I guess many Karnalis will turn against the show if it shows stupid things in name of Karna's life.
DurgaS thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: CaptainSpark

Yes man.. I really wish he did! Same old Karna πŸ˜† 
And @bold - I always say moment we say karna, atleast in front of Bengalis, comes Tagore for his ONE poemπŸ˜† People keep on proving my point, Tagore should atleast be given 50% credit for makin Karna the KARNA THE GREAT!
And Madhushan Dutta should be given almost more than half the credit for Bengalis having this urge to workship villians, and think.. they are not actually wrong.

OKay now I should stop or else people will accuse me for bashing Tagore and Dutta 🀣

I think I should take a look at the Karna's poem by Tagore. 

I am a South Indian and we've had doses of mythological movies over many years. Some of those have been on Karna too. The immediate one I remember is NTR's 'Daana Veera Soora Karna'. The whole movie is centred around Karna and his travails. Of course glorifying him to a large extent. Had seen this movie decades ago. Now I wonder what did they show as Karna doing in the Dyut Sabha.