Frequent Posters

Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: .Sanskruti

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† sometimes I think u take wisest decisions๐Ÿ˜†

Edit: there is something in above post for u to dissect๐Ÿ˜›

Always Kabhi Kabhi I do that.๐Ÿ˜†

Where did you find vyasa uncle going crazy calling karna a suta even before Karna met the Suta? Let me know the parva at least. I will check & say.๐Ÿ˜› But I will be replying late as I am busy reading for exams.
Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

1. There are only two references to Karna-Parashurama story; first in Karna parva & 2nd in Shanti Parva. Karna Parva narration does not say Karna approached Parashurama only to learn Brahmastra to fight with Arjuna. Also, in his last duel with Arjuna, Karna successfully used Brahmastra thrice. Hence the Shanti Parva narration along with Karna's curses has to be an interpolation. However, Shanti Parva narration does not say Karna wanted to learn Brahmastra only to kill Arjuna. He simply says he wanted to fight with Arjuna.

Karna. one day approached Drona in private and said these words unto him, 'I desire to be acquainted with the Brahma weapon, with all its mantras and the power of withdrawing it, for I desire to fight Arjuna. Without doubt, the affection thou bearest to every one of thy pupils is equal to what thou bearest to thy own son. I pray that all the masters of the science of weapons may, through thy grace, regard me as one accomplished in weapons!

In any case, there are enough evidences to prove Karna was never a student of drona.

2. Arjuna did not ask Kirata Shiva to give him Pashupata. Arjuna asked for Brahmashiras instead, to defeat Karna, Bhishma, Drona & Kripa.

"Arjuna said, 'O illustrious god having the bull for thy sign, if thou wilt grant me my desire, I ask of thee, O lord that fierce celestial weapon wielded by thee and called Brahmasira--that weapon of terrific prowess which destroyeth, at the end of the Yuga the entire universe--that weapon by the help of which, O god of gods, I may under thy grace, obtain victory in the terrible conflict which shall take place between myself (on one side), and Karna and Bhishma and Kripa and Drona (on the other)--that weapon by which I may consume in battle Danavas and Rakshasas and evil spirits and Pisachas and Gandharvas and Nagas--that weapon which when hurled with Mantras produceth darts by thousands and fierce-looking maces and arrows like snakes of virulent poison, and by means of which I may fight with Bhishma and Drona and Kripa and Karna of ever abusive tongue, O illustrious destroyer of the eyes of Bhaga, even this is my foremost desire, viz., that I may be able to fight with them and obtain success.'

Bhava replied, 'O powerful one. I will give to thee that favourite weapon of mine called the Pasuputa. O son of Pandu, thou art capable of holding, hurling, and withdrawing it. Neither the chief himself of the gods, nor Yama, nor the king of the Yakshas, nor Varuna, nor Vayu, knoweth it. How could men know anything of it? But, O son of Pritha, this weapon should not be hurled without adequate cause; for if hurled at any foe of little might it may destroy the whole universe. In the three worlds with all their mobile and immobile creatures, there is none who is incapable of being slain by this weapon. And it may be hurled by the mind, by the eye, by words, and by the bow.'"

But, I personally consider Arjuna's words as an interpolation for the below reasons.

1. Arjuna asked for Brahmashiras but he got Pashupata.

2. AFAIR, Arjuna had already been given Brahmashiras by Drona when he saved Drona from crocodile during his stay in gurukula. So why should he ask for the same weapon again?

3. There is no chance for Arjuna to be known already that he would fight against Kripa in future. Kripa switched sides much later.

4. They look odd among Shiva's words. But if we read Shiva's words alone, they look continuous.

Instead, I see it like Arjuna was afraid when he realised who he had been fighting with, but Shiva consoled him and gave him Pashupata out of his compassion, without being asked, pleased with Arjuna's warrior skills.

Sanskruthi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

I cant see colours for a minor problem in my PC so I don't know which part u marked in red...

Now finally coming to the gambling part. Not every emperor who stayed in their kingdom and administered it well gambled it away. Yudhishthir was the only one and why did u pull this in? There are many many many mor ekings in epic who did not gamble their empire.
Jst coz Yudhi did its better Karna doesn't stay in Anga? Nobody was telling him to be like Yudhi or any gambler for that matter. I was just saying he is not a good king.
I think you are being delusional with Yudhi here too by the way..but not getting into that. lets keep the debate to the point.

Brishti this is what I posted in red now I m posting in bold hopefully this is visible๐Ÿ˜› If no then lemme quote it as well:

also I will add ki if staying 24*7 in ur own kingdom and looking after it makes u think its ur pocket-money that u can gamble away it was better Karna wasn't there

I know its crap no need to quote this post give me a answer again๐Ÿ˜ณ nd now ur other question Why I put that here and lets stick to debate thats what I too want firstly I am nt the first one to pull Yudi in betn nd talk abt their sins and gambling in debate of Karna being the king๐Ÿ˜† jst check few of the previous posts and I know when I pull other characters in betn in that way when the debate topic is different and I know I sound foolish nd idiot when I bring such point in my answer...๐Ÿ˜› now when you know what was actually marked in red jst re-read the that particular line and the PS thing I posted..may u get it๐Ÿค” IF no jst a harmless advice leave it...๐Ÿ˜Š

BTW that protecting the kingdom thing I posted to tell Karna was there for his kingdom when it needed him nd I m in no mood to stretch the debate on Karna's tenure as King as u rightly say each of us will find many citations supporting our beliefs and taking us to a different conclusion also bcoz I m going inactive due to tests๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by .Sanskruti - 8 years ago
Sanskruthi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: Brahmaputra

Always Kabhi Kabhi I do that.๐Ÿ˜†

Where did you find vyasa uncle going crazy calling karna a suta even before Karna met the Suta? Let me know the parva at least. I will check & say.๐Ÿ˜› But I will be replying late as I am busy reading for exams.

nt really MB bt an analytical study on blogspot I read it many months ago when I was dissecting that Karnas curses bt still I will check the my lappys history dnt worry bt in next week now even I got exams will do it later BTW I remember MaGrath too telling something similar I think he gave reference as well jst check that PDF if u have
BTW I guess Its Adiparva read whole till Karnas birth nd adoption na na..๐Ÿ˜ณ BTW do it after exams not now abhi studyโญ๏ธ
nd all d bst rock ur exam๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Edited by .Sanskruti - 8 years ago
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: .Sanskruti

Brishti this is what I posted in red now I m posting in bold hopefully this is visible๐Ÿ˜› If no then lemme quote it as well:

I know its crap no need to quote this post give me a answer again๐Ÿ˜ณ nd now ur other question Why I put that here and lets stick to debate thats what I too want firstly I am nt the first one to pull Yudi in betn nd talk abt their sins and gambling in debate of Karna being the king๐Ÿ˜† jst check few of the previous posts and I know when I pull other characters in betn in that way when the debate topic is different and I know I sound foolish nd idiot when I bring such point in my answer...๐Ÿ˜› now when you know what was actually marked in red jst re-read the that particular line and the PS thing I posted..may u get it๐Ÿค” IF no jst a harmless advice leave it...๐Ÿ˜Š

BTW that protecting the kingdom thing I posted to tell Karna was there for his kingdom when it needed him nd I m in no mood to stretch the debate on Karna's tenure as King as u rightly say each of us will find many citations supporting our beliefs and taking us to a different conclusion also bcoz I m going inactive due to tests๐Ÿ˜†

Okay. I got it now. So just chuck out the parts about your bold part ๐Ÿ˜†
CaptainSpark thumbnail
๐Ÿ˜ŠMy replies in italics

1. There are only two references to Karna-Parashurama story; first in Karna parva & 2nd in Shanti Parva. Karna Parva narration does not say Karna approached Parashurama only to learn Brahmastra to fight with Arjuna. Also, in his last duel with Arjuna, Karna successfully used Brahmastra thrice. Hence the Shanti Parva narration along with Karna's curses has to be an interpolation. However, Shanti Parva narration does not say Karna wanted to learn Brahmastra only to kill Arjuna. He simply says he wanted to fight with Arjuna.

Karna. one day approached Drona in private and said these words unto him, 'I desire to be acquainted with the Brahma weapon, with all its mantras and the power of withdrawing it, for I desire to fight Arjuna. Without doubt, the affection thou bearest to every one of thy pupils is equal to what thou bearest to thy own son. I pray that all the masters of the science of weapons may, through thy grace, regard me as one accomplished in weapons!

So u basically mean to say Karna wanted a weapon like Brahmastra just to FIGHT Arjuna, not intending to defeat/kill him ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Is he a fool or what. And whatever, my point is that he only wanted such a weapon to fight Arjuna? Is that even a valid reason to ask for it.

In any case, there are enough evidences to prove Karna was never a student of drona.

Jamy I am used to this you call whatever you want interpolation whenever you want ๐Ÿ˜† I know there are many interpolations in the story but that does not mean you call anything interpolation! I feel Yaksha prashna, Durvasa incident, Drau's birth from actual FIRE as grown up, Akshaya incident etc. as interpolation for the simple reason as these seem impossible.
So I really have nothing to say about your interpolation theory. ๐Ÿ˜†

2. Arjuna did not ask Kirata Shiva to give him Pashupata. Arjuna asked for Brahmashiras instead, to defeat Karna, Bhishma, Drona & Kripa.

"Arjuna said, 'O illustrious god having the bull for thy sign, if thou wilt grant me my desire, I ask of thee, O lord that fierce celestial weapon wielded by thee and called Brahmasira--that weapon of terrific prowess which destroyeth, at the end of the Yuga the entire universe--that weapon by the help of which, O god of gods, I may under thy grace, obtain victory in the terrible conflict which shall take place between myself (on one side), and Karna and Bhishma and Kripa and Drona (on the other)--that weapon by which I may consume in battle Danavas and Rakshasas and evil spirits and Pisachas and Gandharvas and Nagas--that weapon which when hurled with Mantras produceth darts by thousands and fierce-looking maces and arrows like snakes of virulent poison, and by means of which I may fight with Bhishma and Drona and Kripa and Karna of ever abusive tongue, O illustrious destroyer of the eyes of Bhaga, even this is my foremost desire, viz., that I may be able to fight with them and obtain success.'

I just said this is justifies as it is after dice hal and also they were preparing for war then. So pretty obvious that will be his reason. So even if these words are not interpolation then also it makes sense ๐Ÿ˜Š Anyways this is 'interpolation' so... ๐Ÿ˜†

Bhava replied, 'O powerful one. I will give to thee that favourite weapon of mine called the Pasuputa. O son of Pandu, thou art capable of holding, hurling, and withdrawing it. Neither the chief himself of the gods, nor Yama, nor the king of the Yakshas, nor Varuna, nor Vayu, knoweth it. How could men know anything of it? But, O son of Pritha, this weapon should not be hurled without adequate cause; for if hurled at any foe of little might it may destroy the whole universe. In the three worlds with all their mobile and immobile creatures, there is none who is incapable of being slain by this weapon. And it may be hurled by the mind, by the eye, by words, and by the bow.'"

But, I personally consider Arjuna's words as an interpolation for the below reasons.

1. Arjuna asked for Brahmashiras but he got Pashupata.

2. AFAIR, Arjuna had already been given Brahmashiras by Drona when he saved Drona from crocodile during his stay in gurukula. So why should he ask for the same weapon again?

3. There is no chance for Arjuna to be known already that he would fight against Kripa in future. Kripa switched sides much later.

4. They look odd among Shiva's words. But if we read Shiva's words alone, they look continuous.

Instead, I see it like Arjuna was afraid when he realised who he had been fighting with, but Shiva consoled him and gave him Pashupata out of his compassion, without being asked, pleased with Arjuna's warrior skills.

Edited by CaptainSpark - 8 years ago
Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Arjuna never used Pashupata...if he had used it on day 1 the war would have been over...he didn't use bhrahmashira till ashwatthama used it..and that too only to baffle it..and immediately recalled it when vyasa asked him
He never used them even when abhimanyu was killed.. He would not use a weapon of mass destruction for personal glory or personal vengeance unlike Karna..

That itself justifies why he received them in the first place. Like Thor says in Avengers 2, you need to be worthy of it
Edited by Adishakti - 8 years ago
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Arjuna asking for Brahmasira and getting Pasupata in return  , is an interpolation ?!

really?! ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿค”
Lets see the verse

3/41/7&8 CE

Arjuna Uvacha
Bhagavanndadasi Chenmahyam Pritya Vrishdhwaja
kaamaye divyamastram tadghoram paasupatam Prabho 

Yadtad Brahmasiro naam raudram bheemaparakramam
Yugante daarune prapte kritsnam samharate jagat

Arjuna is asking  Bhagavan Vrishadhwaja Shankara to grant him" Pasupata of terrible prowess which has 'Brahmasira' for its name and famous for its capacity to bring an end to this world .

Pasupata that which is named  Brahmasira

Bhagavan uvacha:
Dadani tEstram dayitamaham paasupatam mahat
Samartho dharne mokshe samhaare chaapi Pandava

I will give you that cherished weapon of mine along with the knowledge of withholding unleashing and withdrawing it as well O Pandava

Shiva says , he is granting Arjuna's wishes because the latter deserves it and that there's no other warrior like Arjuna!! ๐Ÿ˜Š (CE 3/40/52 Shauryanena dhritya cha kshatriyo nasti te samah) not because Arjuna was afraid since he didn't know , who he's fighting with
Of course Shiva is Aashutosha - the compassionate one who can be pleased easily ...

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Thank you for the confirmation Maverick ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
mahalaxmi-sita thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
it seems like anything which doesn't suit your agenda nowadays, is an interpolation.