Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by atominis

The father in this case is not even worth talking about. His interviews in defense of Salman make no sense! Equating him to Karna or some tragic hero and all other gibberish!

I agree with you that both parents have responsibility.

I myself advocate that.

But the point about over indulgent mothers is also valid.

Like Nargis who hid Sanjay's delinquent ways and drug abuse from Sunil Dutt for a long time.

It's problematic when mothers keep hiding or excusing wrong doings of a child and sometimes even prevent the father from disciplining the child. We have descriptions of such mothers in films like Raja Babu who would go to any extent to save their son.

Though in Salman's case I doubt if anyone ever tried to discipline him at any stage.

From the looks of it at least, no one tried to correct him... I think his dad was proud of what he was turning into...and mom was blinded by her love.
Salman's mom was this star of her college...too beautiful,very smart,active in arts and sports..she hailed from a Bengali Hindu background...Later she dropped out from college to elope with Salim Khan..she was amazingly talented and stunning..her potential was untapped cuz she fell in love with wrong guy :(
Edited by Neela-Paani - 8 years ago
How long do the parents have to take responsibility for their grown up kids?? I don't think any parent teach their kids to do the wrong thing...Salman's most of the problems started atleast the ones that we know of...after he was 30...come on ...a 30 year old grown up man knows right from wrong...what has his mother got to do in this? 
When u leave the people on the road to die after injuring them...u are the one responsible...not Mommy and Daddy..
rarely I agree with her but she did point out some harsh realities here! 
BI

I think the time to discipline the "child" has gone now. He is freakin' 50 years old now!

But I doubt if Salman was disciplined or taught anything even when he was young.

His actions as well as the way his family rushes to cover up everything he does, seem to suggest, no one ever laid even basic rules for him when he was a child.

I could be wrong. But I assume he was never seriously disciplined at any stage. Almost like how Nargis used to spoil her Sanju baba rotten.

His father has not played a positive role either, it seems.

Mothers can discipline only till the child is young. Once in his 20s or 30s, earning on his own and having own circle, the young male is virtually out of the mother's hands.

Still, it's a reality that Indian mothers are too defensive. You should have watched India's Daughter and seen how defensive even the convicted rapist's mother was, for her son!

You don't want to, or cannot discipline the child. Fine. But at least don't defend this blindly! Indian mothers, fathers and even siblings have this wrong attitude of defending the khandaan ka chirag or laadla no matter what.
This is ridiculous what is salman's age that his mother is still responsible for his actions? He is a grown man for god sakes. And really this article just shows hw a woman is blamed for everything did she make a child on her own, did she grow him up alone? Pathetic article.
I didn't know Sunjay's problems had started when Nargis was still alive. I remember hearing rumors that it was Nargis' death that distressed him so much he turned to drugs. I guess it was started by his fans trying to find excuses for him.

As for Salim Khan, yea I agree that he probably didn't do much, if anything in terms of disciplining Salman. I remember reading about the Somi Ali incident where Salman smashed a bottle of beer on her head (Somi herself now claims he smashed the bottle on the table because he didn't like her drinking) and how Salim Khan defended him saying she should have never lied to him about drinking. 

Very good article by Shobha De! 👏
Agree with her abt Indian mothers spoiling their sons rotten so they grow up with a sense of entitlement and no moral direction of right and wrong!

The scene that infuriated me the most in the movie "No One Killed Jessica" was Manu Sharma's mother standing in the background, repeating like a moron, Merey Mannu ko kuchh nahin hona chahiye"
She had no feeling for the innocent girl whom her son killed for no reason, all she wants is her son shd not be punished at any cost...threaten, bribe witnesses, kill them, bribe police, do anything but my son shd be safe, out of jail. 😡

First of all these mothers bring up their sons to be monsters,  then they want to protect them from punishment after heinous crimes!

But of course its not just the blind mothers, its the morally depraved, son-obsessed fathers too!

Salim Khan said this in 2002 abt Salman beating up his girlfriend:

"Salman may have done a few things in an emotionally-charged state", he conceded.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020303/spectrum/main6.htm

I agree with all the posters here abt Nargis and Sanju...Sanju was a drug addict from teenage years, in his debut movie "Rocky" its quite apparent that hes a druggie.
Nargis defended and protected him all her life, after her death Sunil Dutt used his contacts and influence to keep Sanju out of jail.

I understand every parent is protective abt their child but these parents never stopped their sons from starting on a lifetime of criminal acts in the first place. 
If they had been more proactive and strict with their privileged sons from childhood, perhaps they wouldnt turn out to be so prone to breaking laws and be high-profile criminals.

Edited by pallavi25 - 8 years ago
Shobha de needs a reality check.
That kid was not grown up kid. He was 16. he went to steal from a place and his mom found him and he refused to go home with her and she handled the situation.

People are missing the intention behind the events.
That kid went out with the intention to steal.
salman did not go out with the intention to hurt people.

Every random person is now busy writing open letters to media, audiences and celebrities.

What utter stupidity. This article is so pathetic.
Salman is nearly 50, probably close to a lot of our parents age. Why should his mother take responsibility for him? Parents can only guide you for the first 2 decades and after that you are on your own.

Salman's mistakes are his own doing, his mother cannot be held responsible for them. How would Shobaa De like it of she is held responsible for her kids mistakes?