Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

why do some women wear clothes they do (Page 3)

BirdieNumNum Goldie
BirdieNumNum
BirdieNumNum

Posted: 17 May 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

i think women wear 'those' clothes for pretty much the same reasons as men wear 'their' clothes. These could include any or more of following- to look chic, to be comfortable, to look cool, to look hot, to fit in with others, to feel good as well as to feel good about themselves.

of course no one is looking to get hounded by the other sex for their clothes. You want people to find you attractive, but you dont want them to grope you or indulge in cat-calls or eve-teasing because of it... and they should not, needless to say.

there's a subtext in all this... The choices women/ men make with regards to dressing up/ down is in context of other people. Left to oneself with no one around, and with no prospect in sight, one might well traipse around in other attire or none at all :)

if it was as simple as your first line.. We would have Victor's secret... for us..LOLLOL

Guys dont care for their dressing - its modern thinking that has made guys engage in feminine traits... otherwise men really dont care about these things...Smile

if there's no victor's secret, it's because no one is interested in men showing cleavage. LOL Have you seen how ugly man-boobs are? That would be like a sagging 50D or something LOL 

and of course, men care. That's why you've got even fat balding middle aged men go for expensive armani suits, wanting to look sexy. How crazy is that- fat, balding guys think they can be sexy in anything?LOL..

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 17 May 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged

Within a context of indian culture even a kid could tell if the girl dressed out of line.. its not like rocket science.. that needs a huge debate...of course most of our morality we get in legacy so that could be debatable.. not the actually right or wrong in appearances...For eg.. how many woman are willing to walk out of the home without wearing a bra... its not nude.. nothing is seen and lets assume for sake of debate that the fabric is thick enough to not be see through...i know of guys who have gone to school or work without underwear!!LOL

When members within a family  are known to be divided in their opinion  on appropriateness of an attire how would it be determined  in the Indian culture, which is well known for its rich?  Besides, is there any established standards for something being "actually right or wrong in appearance" ? Care to define it?

Actually all woman think alike.. which is why marketing anything for woman is not naive and successful... This point being aside...i agree experimentaion.. aligning with the popular actresses... where do i stand...etc. but why does she want to do that.. i want the deeper reason.. not something like kangana wore that dress so i want to wear it kind of thing...

Are you sure the part in  bold wasn't a typo ? It looks contradictory.

Sorry, there is no deeper reason other than that women simply  enjoy   a variety in clothes and accessories  . Evident from the fact that shopping for apparels  constitutes a therapeutic exercise in itself   and men are furthest from their mind while  they shop Tongue . Your wanting there to be a particular deeper reason doesn't make it happen .

I do not question her prerogative.. but inviting attention.. for what? 

For reasons known best to her. To boost or reassure her own ego perhaps. There is also a fair possibility that the invitation was imagined.Tongue

Also if it is meant for someone in particular that should be mad explicitly evident right?

Yes, makes sense to avoid any unwanted attention .

Otherwise.. everybody gets the right to misinterpret...their way...LOL

As long as it is confined to the realm of thoughts it may not matter much but eventually thoughts may get translated into action and reap its consequences . Therein  lies the danger of misinterpreting . Choice is upto the individual Tongue

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 17 May 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged

Ok first of all this is not guys v/s girls debate.. secondly.. exposing unless its pulling their pants down in public doesnt apply to guys.

Some double standards indeed !!!  

. all the wardrobe malfunctions have been in reference to femail models... and photographers have gone to lengths to catch any sliver of this malfunction to get pulbicity...

That could have more  to do with some men's obsession with ogling at the female form.  The fact that female photographers are very few , makes it difficult to comment whether they would react  in a similar manner.

Malaika is over 40 and has children - what would justify her doing item numbers in bikinis... when her husband is counting crores and crores...

That's Professionalism. She is a professional  actress and would accept any role that would brighten her prospects as one. She was a successful model/ actress  before her marriage and she  continued her career post marriage . Male models or actors don't  end their careers after they get married so why expect any different from their female counterparts? 

And doing item numbers or dressing up in a particular way does not indicate an open invitation to the  onlookers.

Now to your point if a guy wears a sleeveless t-shirt.. is that even noticed!!!? thats the conspiracy theory of the feminists... they have popularized all that bull.. i wore a shirt inside out to work one day and attended sever meetings and somebody pointed it out at the end of the day!!! LOL... Now if a girl wore a scoop neck and showed some cleavage... people would setup meetings an invite her LOL...

Girls may have a thousand other things on their mind than ogling at a guy who wears his shirt inside out for a meeting! LOL Its mens prerogative to invite anyone they wish to. Isnt it better to be upfront about whom one wishes to invite? Why blame her that she invited the invitation! Smile

Guys dont know anything about dressing so dont even go there... LOL and if guys walk into the mall flexing their muscles and wearing cologne...etc... get it from me .. that is a mating call.. and every girl who he catched watching him are game.. Guys are pretty straight in this matter... no ambiguity..LOL

Your call on that would be better than mine so I ll give this  one to you  LOL 

A word of caution though-  Most girls who are watching could be doing it out of idle curiosity and not necessarily game for it.  The cologne could get "misinterpreted" as a ruse to cover up questionable personal hygiene and be a turn off to those allergic to strong odours  ;)) 

Not trying to scare you off, just trying to say that it could be detrimental  to misinterpret that every girl out there who is not sloppily dressed  intends to have guys hitting on her with cat calls, whistles or silly comments . In fact such misbehavior  can be most off putting.

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:02pm | IP Logged

i think women wear 'those' clothes for pretty much the same reasons as men wear 'their' clothes. These could include any or more of following- to look chic, to be comfortable, to look cool, to look hot, to fit in with others, to feel good as well as to feel good about themselves.

of course no one is looking to get hounded by the other sex for their clothes. You want people to find you attractive, but you dont want them to grope you or indulge in cat-calls or eve-teasing because of it... and they should not, needless to say.

there's a subtext in all this... The choices women/ men make with regards to dressing up/ down is in context of other people. Left to oneself with no one around, and with no prospect in sight, one might well traipse around in other attire or none at all :)

if it was as simple as your first line.. We would have Victor's secret... for us..LOLLOL

Guys dont care for their dressing - its modern thinking that has made guys engage in feminine traits... otherwise men really dont care about these things...Smile

if there's no victor's secret, it's because no one is interested in men showing cleavage. LOL Have you seen how ugly man-boobs are? That would be like a sagging 50D or something LOL 

and of course, men care. That's why you've got even fat balding middle aged men go for expensive armani suits, wanting to look sexy. How crazy is that- fat, balding guys think they can be sexy in anything?LOL..

trust me, men have nothing to show.. just wealth and popularity..so armani dont make him sexy... just woos those gold diggers who btw have been flaunting that cleavage for a reason Smile ..and thats the reason I want to know because I consider woman more than just that...men have no aesthetics...btw victors secret may not have to just do with cleavage.. Smile
 I am thankful for the existence  of this other gender...not to say all woman come close to aesthetics... all my misconceptions can be cleared if i attend one of those feminist meetings... LOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 May 2015 at 8:35pm
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

Ok first of all this is not guys v/s girls debate.. secondly.. exposing unless its pulling their pants down in public doesnt apply to guys.

Some double standards indeed !!!  

. all the wardrobe malfunctions have been in reference to femail models... and photographers have gone to lengths to catch any sliver of this malfunction to get pulbicity...

That could have more  to do with some men's obsession with ogling at the female form.  The fact that female photographers are very few , makes it difficult to comment whether they would react  in a similar manner.

Malaika is over 40 and has children - what would justify her doing item numbers in bikinis... when her husband is counting crores and crores...

That's Professionalism. She is a professional  actress and would accept any role that would brighten her prospects as one. She was a successful model/ actress  before her marriage and she  continued her career post marriage . Male models or actors don't  end their careers after they get married so why expect any different from their female counterparts? 

And doing item numbers or dressing up in a particular way does not indicate an open invitation to the  onlookers.

Now to your point if a guy wears a sleeveless t-shirt.. is that even noticed!!!? thats the conspiracy theory of the feminists... they have popularized all that bull.. i wore a shirt inside out to work one day and attended sever meetings and somebody pointed it out at the end of the day!!! LOL... Now if a girl wore a scoop neck and showed some cleavage... people would setup meetings an invite her LOL...

Girls may have a thousand other things on their mind than ogling at a guy who wears his shirt inside out for a meeting! LOL Its mens prerogative to invite anyone they wish to. Isnt it better to be upfront about whom one wishes to invite? Why blame her that she invited the invitation! Smile

Guys dont know anything about dressing so dont even go there... LOL and if guys walk into the mall flexing their muscles and wearing cologne...etc... get it from me .. that is a mating call.. and every girl who he catched watching him are game.. Guys are pretty straight in this matter... no ambiguity..LOL

Your call on that would be better than mine so I ll give this  one to you  LOL 

A word of caution though-  Most girls who are watching could be doing it out of idle curiosity and not necessarily game for it.  The cologne could get "misinterpreted" as a ruse to cover up questionable personal hygiene and be a turn off to those allergic to strong odours  ;)) 

Not trying to scare you off, just trying to say that it could be detrimental  to misinterpret that every girl out there who is not sloppily dressed  intends to have guys hitting on her with cat calls, whistles or silly comments . In fact such misbehavior  can be most off putting.

You are so all over the place.. we won't be able to concur on several things.. malaika's claim to fame is her raunchy numbers.. nobody remembers her any other way.. Leone was a po*n star.. the question here is if you are professional can you do anyting.. so according to you it would be ok if she acted in po*n since that industry is quite professional these days.. Oscars might soon start a category for that...Smile

You said some men ogle!!!??? All do.. its just not evident.. i always wondered which woman would be more offended.. one who gets whistled at by guys.(no molestation just kind of giving attention). or the one who is totally ignored...i used to think it would be the former.. but at a deeper level it should be the latter...we are limited by our physical appearance and we cant change that... most of the plight of the world circles around that...which leads me to my topic.. everyone craves attention.. but woman will realize it more if they didnt get noticed.. so is the dressing one way or the other to attract this attention... now this may be due to male dominated society which never put men in the same situation of being physically judged (arranged marriages) etc.. just my question is on as is basis... not a what if basis..

Lastly i am neither muscular nor smelly nor go to public places wearing sleeveless tees LOL.. that was for rest of the "man"kind... Smile... but what you said about the girl being dressed not to seek attention is the typical indian cultural subduing of women wanting to come out of the shackles of moral burden she is made to carry just for unknown reasons.. .. india is too complicated society where besides liking hte sexual characteristics.. guys can be just obsessed with her face or eyes  and live a life of confusion and chais...and i know that for sure... Smile... which is why i asked this in indian context... in european countries girls moving topless is not considered nude.. so they match up with men in that aspect.. at least... LOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 May 2015 at 8:38pm
LovelyPlanet Goldie
LovelyPlanet
LovelyPlanet

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:36am | IP Logged

if there's no victor's secret, it's because no one is interested in men showing cleavage. LOLHave you seen how uglyman-boobs are? That would be like a sagging 50D or somethingLOL

trust me, men have nothing to show.. just wealth and popularity..so armani dont make him sexy... just woos those gold diggers who btw have been flaunting that cleavage for a reason Smile..and thats the reason I want to know because I consider woman more than just that...men have no aesthetics...btw victors secret may not have to just do with cleavage..Smile
I am thankful for the existence of this other gender...not to say all woman come close to aesthetics... all my misconceptions can be cleared if i attend one of those feminist meetings...LOL

"men have nothing to show"??
Really? not sure if you are a man or woman but sorry to say that seems so wrong . Have you not seen fitness models? Are they showing wealth? Of course they attract women.
Apart from gold diggers there are rich women too who aren't interested in wealth, they go for looks.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

_Angie__Darling_

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged

You are so all over the place.. 
Cant help it if I find almost every sentence , examples quoted  , interpretations and the sweeping statements faulty! 

we won't be able to concur on several things.. malaika's claim to fame is her raunchy numbers.. nobody remembers her any other way..
Wrong .

Leone was a po*n star.. the question here is if you are professional can you do anyting.. so according to you it would be ok if she acted in po*n since that industry is quite professional these days.. Oscars might soon start a category for that...Smile
Wrong interpretation of my words

You said some men ogle!!!??? All do.. its just not evident.. 
Wrong again! Dont you read or do you misread always! Shocked

i always wondered which woman would be more offended.. one who gets whistled at by guys.(no molestation just kind of giving attention). or the one who is totally ignored...i used to think it would be the former.. but at a deeper level it should be the latter..
Lets get the superficials right first. Tongue

.we are limited by our physical appearance and we cant change that... most of the plight of the world circles around that...which leads me to my topic.. everyone craves attention.. 
...for what they wear!!!!? 

but woman will realize it more if they didnt get noticed..
so why not do them the  favouLOL

so is the dressing one way or the other to attract this attention...
Its confirmed now that you did not read the previous replies .

now this may be due to male dominated society which never put men in the same situation of being physically judged (arranged marriages) etc.. just my question is on as is basis... not a what if basis..
Wrong again.

Lastly i am neither muscular nor smelly nor go to public places wearing sleeveless tees LOL..
OK. Possible LOL

that was for rest of the "man"kind... Smile... but what you said about the girl being dressed not to seek attention is the typical indian cultural subduing of women wanting to come out of the shackles of moral burden she is made to carry just for unknown reasons.. ..
Whoa there! Shocked Either the girl has  dressed to invite whistles or she is culturally subdued  for unknown reasons! No third option! 

india is too complicated society where besides liking hte sexual characteristics.. guys can be just obsessed with her face or eyes  and live a life of confusion and chais...and i know that for sure... 
..but I am sure I didnt get that one at all Ouch

Smile... which is why i asked this in indian context... in european countries girls moving topless is not considered nude.. so they match up with men in that aspect.. at least... LOL

The european countries are free to form their own definition. Why would you expect India to do the same? Each culture has its own pros and cons. While a woman in Europe may feel compelled to invite attention through her clothes or appearance  till the end of her life , the Indian women find it much easier to age gracefully without any such compulsion to invite attention.LOL Before you start  quoting  examples of actresses or models again  let me reiterate at the risk of your misreading again that a person's occupation greatly influences the attire. Eg   Sania Mirza cannot be expected to play tennis while wearing a saree or a burqa. Now that statement says nothing about the profession or the dress  being right or wrong. No oscars for that one LOL

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Angie_

You are so all over the place.. 
Cant help it if I find almost every sentence , examples quoted  , interpretations and the sweeping statements faulty! 

we won't be able to concur on several things.. malaika's claim to fame is her raunchy numbers.. nobody remembers her any other way..
Wrong .

Leone was a po*n star.. the question here is if you are professional can you do anyting.. so according to you it would be ok if she acted in po*n since that industry is quite professional these days.. Oscars might soon start a category for that...Smile
Wrong interpretation of my words

You said some men ogle!!!??? All do.. its just not evident.. 
Wrong again! Dont you read or do you misread always! Shocked

i always wondered which woman would be more offended.. one who gets whistled at by guys.(no molestation just kind of giving attention). or the one who is totally ignored...i used to think it would be the former.. but at a deeper level it should be the latter..
Lets get the superficials right first. Tongue

.we are limited by our physical appearance and we cant change that... most of the plight of the world circles around that...which leads me to my topic.. everyone craves attention.. 
...for what they wear!!!!? 

but woman will realize it more if they didnt get noticed..
so why not do them the  favouLOL

so is the dressing one way or the other to attract this attention...
Its confirmed now that you did not read the previous replies .

now this may be due to male dominated society which never put men in the same situation of being physically judged (arranged marriages) etc.. just my question is on as is basis... not a what if basis..
Wrong again.

Lastly i am neither muscular nor smelly nor go to public places wearing sleeveless tees LOL..
OK. Possible LOL

that was for rest of the "man"kind... Smile... but what you said about the girl being dressed not to seek attention is the typical indian cultural subduing of women wanting to come out of the shackles of moral burden she is made to carry just for unknown reasons.. ..
Whoa there! Shocked Either the girl has  dressed to invite whistles or she is culturally subdued  for unknown reasons! No third option! 

india is too complicated society where besides liking hte sexual characteristics.. guys can be just obsessed with her face or eyes  and live a life of confusion and chais...and i know that for sure... 
..but I am sure I didnt get that one at all Ouch

Smile... which is why i asked this in indian context... in european countries girls moving topless is not considered nude.. so they match up with men in that aspect.. at least... LOL

The european countries are free to form their own definition. Why would you expect India to do the same? Each culture has its own pros and cons. While a woman in Europe may feel compelled to invite attention through her clothes or appearance  till the end of her life , the Indian women find it much easier to age gracefully without any such compulsion to invite attention.LOL Before you start  quoting  examples of actresses or models again  let me reiterate at the risk of your misreading again that a person's occupation greatly influences the attire. Eg   Sania Mirza cannot be expected to play tennis while wearing a saree or a burqa. Now that statement says nothing about the profession or the dress  being right or wrong. No oscars for that one LOL

sorry dupe.. india forum has yet to find a way to delete posts...LOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 18 May 2015 at 8:19pm

Go to top