Debate Mansion

why do some women wear clothes they do

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Just trying to understand the other gender..this is just a veri general question... 
What do Indian girls think when they wearing revealing clothes, showing cleavage... or tight jeans.. something that could almost highligh the physical characteristics and possibly invite attention in various forms including guys hitting, whistles, cat calls.. nasty comments...etc...etc. There are a lot of those who become conscious if dupatta flies off...others are wearing tight tops for whatever reason... 

What does it mean when unmarried and married do the same...are these supposed to excite the opposite sex... which is kind of  obvious but rally? - would still like to hear what's the kind of spin here.

I have intention of questioning the freedom of girls to do what they want or what they wear.. just trying to understand the mindset...this shouldn't be discussed in context of provoked molestation or rape. 
Also this should be limited to indian grils only to reflect the cultural backfrop...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
 I'm glad people have the confidence to wear revealing clothing but sometimes your confidence is NOT very pleasant to look at...😊...

Just heard Yoga Pants are being re-designed to be less revealing. I'll be keeping an eye on that.😛
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Seeing which  part of the female body would be considered revealing ?  Only cleavage,  or would it also include the face, eyes, hair, neck, midriff, legs, arms , fingers, or  ankle ? Any of these could be said to "invite"  attention  depending on the person's interest .  You  have included tight clothes that would  highlight the  body form so I suppose that includes  trousers, jeans, leggings, chudidar, skirts, and even sarees  and  kurtis. So the only clothes that  would hide the  physical characteristics  would be a burqa or an astronaut's suit. Would like to know which of these   would make  you feel more comfortable in a female's presence?  Once we have answers  to these questions it may be possible to address the  rest of your  questions.

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Personally, I've drifted from wearing skirts, shorts etc to wearing loose salwar kameez now in my life. I don't know what made me wear those... Ofcourse i loved wearing those, loved wearing things "in vogue" .

My personal definition of decency changed. That's what I know about my present preference.

It doesn't make any difference. Yes, people interested will still stare. People also call me "behenji" , my own mother and my relatives call me "appalamma"(very old lady in Telugu), my so-called friends think I'm gone mental and so on.

My understanding is that girls no matter what they wear, will be judged. It's because society objectified her. She's not an individual, she's a thing.

Since you asked a question on married and unmarried... I'll say yes, everyone wants to "present" themselves in a particular way. Even the ones wearing decent or pleasant clothes. What difference does it make? Everyone dressing in any kind of manner do want to create some impression... You cannot find a definite answer for why a girl wears the way she does..it's complex :) so lets leave the girls alone and stop judging her by what she wears, that's much simpler :)
On culture. I think culture is ever changing. I know, it feels great to look like a typical native South Indian...but see, people at large are changing. Culture isnt static. Culture shouldn't be viewed in a narrow perspective. Culture isn't the dress people are supposed wear, it's rather about people doing what they do now, here. The culture is like this at present.

If we wear the "traditional" outfits, it's only out of reverence for our traditions in the past that our ancestors followed. Or something that is our places' perceived "identity". It's because one enjoys and loves "looking" like what is perceived as this/that culture .

Otherwise clothing is simply a matter of personal preference/convenience.

Girls can wear whatever they want. Human rights must be given importance. That is the way forward :)
qwertyesque thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _Angie_

Seeing which  part of the female body would be considered revealing ?  Only cleavage,  or would it also include the face, eyes, hair, neck, midriff, legs, arms , fingers, or  ankle ? Any of these could be said to "invite"  attention  depending on the person's interest .  You  have included tight clothes that would  highlight the  body form so I suppose that includes  trousers, jeans, leggings, chudidar, skirts, and even sarees  and  kurtis. So the only clothes that  would hide the  physical characteristics  would be a burqa or an astronaut's suit. Would like to know which of these   would make  you feel more comfortable in a female's presence?  Once we have answers  to these questions it may be possible to address the  rest of your  questions.

which part would be revealing... as much as the moral police allows.. and i dont think it requires a debate for that moral vigilante to get into action ðŸ˜Š

See its not about my comfort... but more to do with what the femaile wants to show, hide and highlight...Dont tell me women dont think when they dress up.

I would like females to wear anything that highlights all her physical characteristics...😉 why not.. but that doesnt happen.. someone wants to wear low neck, another one straps that fall off the shoulder or whateve that is.. another one.. her convex butt...the point is all this for what reason.. is this a kind of mating call.. or something?
Edited by qwertyesque - 8 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

On culture. I think culture is ever changing. I know, it feels great to look like a typical native South Indian...but see, people at large are changing. Culture isnt static. Culture shouldn't be viewed in a narrow perspective. Culture isn't the dress people are supposed wear, it's rather about people doing what they do now, here. The culture is like this at present.

If we wear the "traditional" outfits, it's only out of reverence for our traditions in the past that our ancestors followed. Or something that is our places' perceived "identity". It's because one enjoys and loves "looking" like what is perceived as this/that culture .

Otherwise clothing is simply a matter of personal preference/convenience.

Girls can wear whatever they want. Human rights must be given importance. That is the way forward :)

@bold but somewhere they pay attention to what is that preference.. girls dont wear sloppy outfits!!!
Edited by qwertyesque - 8 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail
btw this is more common in women who are under 20 and over 40...I do understand the over 40 mindset... they either give up and dress sloppy especially if they have not been in shape.. or like malaika aora..continue to reveal their physical characteristics and gather attention... but again the question is what is the thought process.. is that married really trying to excite the mailes, say while she is walking rhgouth the mall. or something.. or its just being sadistic... (look you cant have this!!! :) )
kind of attitude!!!?
This content was originally posted by: qwertyesque

btw this is more common in women who are under 20 and over 40...I do understand the over 40 mindset... they either give up and dress sloppy especially if they have not been in shape.. or like malaika aora..continue to reveal their physical characteristics and gather attention... but again the question is what is the thought process.. is that married really trying to excite the mailes, say while she is walking rhgouth the mall. or something.. or its just being sadistic... (look you cant have this!!! :) )

kind of attitude!!!?

You tell me, don't you know what the girl thinks when she wears something? Yes I know that majority girls do think something when they wear some dress. Some want to look traditional, some decent and neat, some trendy and fashionable, some something else... Whatever it is, it is the lady's idea of looking presentable..

'She' isn't trying to excite but let me tell you frankly that girls do enjoy/gain satisfaction when a head turns :P ...and that's basic human nature. Wouldn't you feel good if a girl takes a second look at you? Guys also dress to impress. I've seen men(older than 40) wear tight tees to show off their "muscles" 😆

Firstly, there's no difference between men and women and their grooming :) ...alll are humans, all dress with some idea, there MAY be people who don't care at all. Both enjoy any attention, even the most shy and reserved ones. Among all the feelings "attention" produces, feeling of satisfaction is a definite one 😆 It's all natural. Nothing wrong :) ...what's wrong is judging them on the basis of their dressing :)

On look but you can't have.. How is that sadistic 😆 where did 'having' even come from? 😆

@personal preference. - it entails all her ideas of looking presentable:)Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 8 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

[QUOTE=qwertyesque]  

which part would be revealing... as much as the moral police allows.. and i dont think it requires a debate for that moral vigilante to get into action 😊

Since there is no consensus regarding standards of moral policing in the country any code of dress that is considered moral by one group could be deemed immoral by another and hence very much debatable. 

See its not about my comfort... but more to do with what the femaile wants to show, hide and highlight...Dont tell me women dont think when they dress up.

If a woman is showing , hiding or highlighting as per her own wishes obviously she is comfortable  with it and it is only the onlooker that seems to be getting uncomfortable with her decision 😆

As for what women think when they dress up it would be highly speculative as people differ in their thinking. However it would be safe to say that  a person's choice of attire is influenced to a great extent by the  prevailing trend at that place and time and occupation of the person. Other than that most girls like to experiment with different looks and generally depend on feedback from their female friends who are much more forthcoming and critical in their appraisal  as compared to their male friends who may not be able to distinguish blue from grey or red from orange .

I would like females to wear anything that highlights all her physical characteristics... why not.. but that doesnt happen.. someone wants to wear low neck, another one straps that fall off the shoulder or whateve that is.. another one.. her convex butt...the point is all this for what reason.. is this a kind of mating call.. or something?

Its her prerogative what she wears and it could be simply because it makes her feel good to see her own reflection in the mirror, or enjoy the approving glances cast her way . While she may enjoy the appreciative looks or compliments it would be too far fetched to interpret it as a mating call to all and sundry 😆 

Not saying that a girl never intends to invite attention, she may but that would be only directed to a special few and not to each and everyone out there so it would be wise to exercise caution before responding to any presumed mating call  that might be sent out and make sure whom it is being  directed to 😛  [/QUOTE]