Article on recent case of an almost "Balika Vadhu"

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 8 years ago

How to convince the guilty that child marriage is a crime?

Campaigns against child marriage seem to have failed to appeal people and make them understand that "Child Marriage" is a crime.

Another Balika Vadhu' was in making at Patna on Monday, where a seven-year-old was being married to a 35-year-old man at Purnia. However, she was saved when the police team rescued her from her home at R-block, Patna.

Mehendi and Haldi ceremony of this child bride were going on, when Amrendra Kumar Jha, Inspector, Secretariat Police Station along with lady constables raided the house and rescued the girl child.

The child's father had arranged for the wedding and is on a run since Monday night, after the raid. The girl's mother wept all the way to the police station and fainted a couple of times.

The girl was not even aware of the fact the she was getting married, and was glad that she was being given so much of attention, new clothes and mehndi is being applied on her hands.

According to Child Marriage Restriction Act, anybody who tries to get a child married before the legal age is also punishable by law. 

"Trying to get a child married at that tender age is cheating. The child is being cheated and her/his life is being destroyed, and it is punishable act by law," confirms Advocate Shiv Kumar Yadav.

According to Section 420, 406, 504 and 506, a guilty can be sentenced for 3 to 7 years and a fine of Rs.2000 to Rs.5000 can be imposed. In addition, the court has discretion power to impose both.

According to Sarita Sajan, counsellor at Mahila Helpline, they often hear such cases where girls below 18 years, which is the legal age of marriage, are forced into marriages.

"Our work is to counsel the families and tell them that it is a punishable act and that if they force the girl legal action can be taken against them. We try to educate them on the problems that their child will face if she is married before 18, as her body won't be prepared for it, be it mentally or physically," said Sarita. 

In most of the cases, a victim's friends or neighbours inform us and help us save the victim's life. 

Child marriage has been a part of Indian culture for a long time. Despite so many developments and changes in India and the world, the stigma of child marriage continues to plague the country. 

According to social worker, Anil Sulabh, the awareness still has reached its goal.

"For some who understand their child, society's pressure do not matter to them, but there are people who still succumb to societal pressure. They fail to understand the pain and misery it will bring to their child. In this case, this seven-year-old who was about to get married to a 35-year-old was saved because of a medical student who followed her conscious and raised her voice. She informed the local police and then the media after which a raid was conducted and the girl was rescued. So, others should also become aware of their environment and act," said Sulabh.

Sulabh also appealed to all the parents to marry their child only at the right age, when he/she is mentally and physically ready. 

Iamin.in also asked few Patnaities about their view of child marriage.

"I don't understand the need of child marriage. My maid got her daughter married at the tender age of eight. She gave birth to a child only at the age of 14. When I got to know about it, I threatened my maid that if she did this to her other two daughters, I will complaint against her and the conclusion was she quit my work. It was one case, and my present maid has four daughters and she wants to educate all of them and she is not bothered about their marriage, this is the other case. So basically it cannot be said that only poor people get their child married at an early age," said Nishi Thakur, 33.

"It will take time for people to understand the need to abolish child marriage. People create hue and cry if a seven-year-old is raped by a 35-year-old, but what do people expect if they marry their seven-year-old child to 35-year-old man? He is also going to rape the child, in both the cases the child will be victimised," opines Kripa, 25.

http://www.iamin.in/en/patna-sahib/news/how-convince-guilty-child-marriage-crime-59103

Edited by RTee - 8 years ago

Arti, 
          TFS. 
How parents can do this to their own daughter?
Artee - Thanks for sharing
Looks like child marriage is not so easy to wipe out.

Sad to see parents willing to bow down before the society rather than thinking about their children and their welfare.

I guess all these instances happening in real world do give a good reason for the CVs and the channel to continue with this show
Originally posted by aparnauma

Artee - Thanks for sharing
Looks like child marriage is not so easy to wipe out.

Sad to see parents willing to bow down before the society rather than thinking about their children and their welfare.

I guess all these instances happening in real world do give a good reason for the CVs and the channel to continue with this show

are u serious @aparna?
BV has given enough reasons to prove that Bal Vivah is illegal, a crime and wrong. Just because a certain issue prevails in our society doesn't mean a show needs to go on for eternal years. BV is not even doing a superb job to pass on the message. The way they present the message is an absolute failure now. Besides Colors does not even get telecast in villages where this issue needs to be taught more than in cities. Had BV been on DD then it would have been more effective in spreading the issue.
Originally posted by libsrocks

are u serious @aparna?
BV has given enough reasons to prove that Bal Vivah is illegal, a crime and wrong. Just because a certain issue prevails in our society doesn't mean a show needs to go on for eternal years. BV is not even doing a superb job to pass on the message. The way they present the message is an absolute failure now. Besides Colors does not even get telecast in villages where this issue needs to be taught more than in cities. Had BV been on DD then it would have been more effective in spreading the issue.
What ever I have said is my it is my own opinion.I have freedom to voice my opinion.
Whether I am serious or sarcastic people are free draw their own conclusions.😛

If they read in between the lines they would have clearly understood whether it was said seriously or sarcastically.😛

Edited by aparnauma - 8 years ago
Disgusting  ðŸ¤¢  society pressure ...
this proves all efforts put by Govt NGO social worker not sufficient enough but still it stopped which is good 

yes BV serial may not helping  for this cause...but wht they are showing is not unreal...Bal Vivah still practice in interior parts of India 

BV serial is not documentary but end of the day its Fiction drama based on real subject that's it... it might not helping great to prevent BV in real life ...but provides bread butter to number of people ...esp off camera people... 

no wonder some actor said its easy to say wind up but these daily wages people are totally depend on PH Channel providing them...

anyways Arti thanks for article indeed disturbing news 
While it is sad that little girls still are ending up as BVs like as I said in my earlier post this is providing a reason for the channel to continue with the show because they can claim that they are showing real issues in the society.
Good for the channel PH and good for their business.
At least they are making money and also making us think not only about child marriage but various issues regarding empowerment of women making us wonder at times how we would react in testing situations

Edited by aparnauma - 8 years ago
  More than Bal Vivah, this is looking like a case of selling their daughter by her own parents who used this illegal custom of BalVivah to hide their sin from society. 
  If they were following this ugly custom of BV then they would not have been marrying their 7 year old kid with 35 years old man . They would have chosen a groom around her age .
The difference between reality and TV. The one failing that I believe Balika Vadhu has is that though it is against child marriage and is providing the viewers, especially those in India, with a good lesson, it, in my perception does not COMPLETELY convey all the problems associated with it. In the show, if nothing else, at the very LEAST, the bride is getting married to a groom that is approximately her own age (that is as far as I have seen of the show anyways with the Anandi-Jagya, and Nimboli-Kundan relationships) but one of the more disgusting realities is also that the girl will most times  get married to someone whose like twice or thrice her age, who has reached sexual maturity and knows what sex is. Of course with a man twice her age who has no one to answer to and is like three times her size would easily overpower her and she'd be set up for molestation, rape, early pregnancy, and a lot of the times death as well, all the hands of an old pervert who for some godforsaken reason decides that a child would make him the perfect bride.