I am often shoved down people's throat: Ranbir

Posted: 8 years ago

Heroism does not come easily to me: Ranbir Kapoor
As Ranbir Kapoor returns in a full-fledged lead actor role in Bombay Velvet, after two years, he talks about the lukewarm response to its first trailer, shying away from social media and his faith in marriage

Ranbir Kapoor on social media: I don't believe in that platform. First, I should build a body of work as an actor. That apart, I am a private and introvert person. (Source: Express photo by Yogen Shah)

Written by Alaka Sahani | Published on:May 9, 2015 12:00 am

What did it take to become Johnny Balraj of Bombay Velvet?
Johnny Balraj is a departure from who I am. Growing up with hardships makes him aggressive. Yet, he is intense and vulnerable. Playing the role took some effort. But then, that's my job as an actor. It was far more challenging to work in Bombay Velvet than Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani or Wake Up Sid. Those are the characters I understand.

Since your grandfather was a popular actor-director in the '50s and '60s, did you watch his films for your reference?
For the character's look, we had references of young Raj Kapoor, Kishore Kumar with his moustache and Robert De Niro of Raging Bull. This led to Johnny Balraj's curly mop-and-moustache look. However, these were superficial references. The more internal references come solely from the individual approach that an actor adopts. Anyway, I don't need to watch Raj Kapoor's movies as reference. I have studied all his films.

The reaction to Bombay Velvet's first trailer was not very encouraging. Did it bother you?
When you work so hard on making an honest and entertaining film, and people don't love the first trailer so much, one does gets a little nervous and contemplative. However, we believe in the film. When it releases on May 15, I hope the audience gives it a chance.

You have always gone for off-beat roles. What urges you to take risks?
When some of our best filmmakers, like Anurag Kashyap, Anurag Basu, Imtiaz Ali and Ayan Mukerji, are offering these parts, I would be foolish not to take them up. However, a film like Besharam is a risk because heroism' does not come easily to me.

Any regrets of doing Besharam?
No. It taught me that I can't take the audience for granted. We were arrogant. We thought let's make a masala film with song sequences and action, but it doesn't work that way.

How often you consult you parents while choosing a project?
Never. I may give my mother a script to read and take a second opinion from her, but all the decisions are mine.

You have Ali's Tamasha and Basu's Jagga Jasoos coming up.

I have had two most satisfying creative partnerships with Basu and Ali. I have finished shooting Tamasha and a few days of shoot is left for Jagga Jasoos. One of them would most likely release this year.

You are still missing on social media.
 I don't believe in that platform. First, I should build a body of work as an actor...

That apart, I am a private and introvert person. Anyway, I am often shoved down people's throat through films, advertisements and tabloid conjectures about my life. So I don't want a 24X7 mouthpiece where I speak about myself.

Your father has become a Twitter star.
I believe he is meant for Twitter. Though many have this preconceived notion that my father is a hot-headed person, in reality he is someone with an amazing sense of humour.

Have you considered turning a director or producer at some point?
To be honest, I wanted to be a director much before I thought of taking up acting. Right now, I don't have the patience that directing a film requires. Also, I don't have a story to share.

Recently, you shifted from your family home to a flat in Bandra. What were the possessions you took with you?
Everything " my clothes, shoes, awards and DVDs. However, the first thing to get packed was my 110-inch television. Though I was living in a bungalow before, all my things were in my room. It was quite easy to shift my stuff.

Some days ago, there was news of you taking off on a long drive with Katrina Kaif. What else do you like to do other than taking off on long drives?
Firstly, that report was a conjecture. I have never gone on any long drives. Even if I do that, I have a driver to drive the vehicle. I do normal things that people do in everyday life, like play video games, watch movies and travel. There are also days when I sit and do absolutely nothing.

There is a lot of conjecture regarding your marriage. Is it in the offing?
Yes, I am a great believer of the institution of marriage and it is on the anvil. But I have not decided on a date yet.

http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/heroism-does-not-come-easily-to-me-ranbir-kapoor/

Edited by NailClipper - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

humdekhenge thumbnail
 I don't believe in that platform. First, I should build a body of work as an actor
The f**k? How does his building a body of work affect him being on a social platform..Like there's no correlation! Matlab kuch bhi

rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
He is right..Ranbir is already in the news 24*7 πŸ˜† So its good he is not on twitter..Moreover he is diplomatic to a fault..He wouldn't be half as entertaining as his dad so he should stay away πŸ˜†
rogerrocks thumbnail
I believe he is meant for Twitter. Though many have this preconceived notion that my father is a hot-headed person, in reality he is someone with an amazing sense of humour.

So you cant be hot-headed & at the same time have an amazing sense of humor? What logic is that? Cos i do believe Rishi is hot-headed & has a good sense of humor πŸ˜†

There are also days when I sit and do absolutely nothing.

LOL πŸ˜†
Actually Katrina's salads are often shoved down your throat Edited by Euphorrria - 8 years ago
rogerrocks thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bandwagon-er

I don't believe in that platform. First, I should build a body of work as an actor

The f**k? How does his building a body of work affect him being on a social platform..Like there's no correlation! Matlab kuch bhi

I think he meant 'i should first achieve a lot in life & then talk about myself on twitter' but it came out wrong & the logic is kinda effed up πŸ˜†  I think he just meant that he'd rather focus on work rather than waste time on social media..If that makes sense πŸ˜†
Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
good RK stay away from besharam kind of nonsense films.
Really excited for Bombay Velvet and Jagga Jasoos.

and yes Rishi is hilarious on twitter except for when he rants about beef and other ridiculous stuff. Also it's annoying when Rishi posts his own film posters lol ! but he is a good troll.
humdekhenge thumbnail

Originally posted by: rogerrocks

I think he meant 'i should first achieve a lot in life & then talk about myself on twitter' but it came out wrong & the logic is kinda effed up πŸ˜†  I think he just meant that he'd rather focus on work rather than waste time on social media..If that makes sense πŸ˜†

But that's dumb..Half the people on social media are jobless and have nothing to talk about-isn't that the whole point? I mean he could just have left it at it not being up his alley! 

(Secretly I'm just pissed at his last answer, but I'm venting out at random stuffπŸ˜†)

Edited by Bandwagon-er - 8 years ago
Now I know why he's losing hair. He reads PV comments. 
swati82 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: NailClipper

Now I know why he's losing hair. He reads PV comments. 

No wonder he always looks sad. PV commentors hate him, Kat and love Ranveer-Deepika
Edited by swati82 - 8 years ago