Salman Khan: Victims' families want 'compensation'

Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Families of the victims of the 2002 hit-and-run crash involving Bollywood star Salman Khan say life has been hard since the incident. They tell BBC Hindi's Ayush Deshpande and Atul Chandra that all they want is some financial compensation to improve their lives.

"My father died and we are sad because of that. But we do not want any revenge against Salman Khan. What will we gain by his going to jail?" asks Feroz Sheikh.

Mr Sheikh's father, Noor Ullah Khan, 38, was killed when the actor's Toyota Land Cruiser hit the American Express bakery in the Bandra area of Mumbai late on 28 September 2002.

Four others were injured in the incident. They were all sleeping on the pavement.

Thirteen years after the incident, Mr Sheikh says he holds no grudges against Khan and wishes the star would do something to help his family.

The 27-year-old lives in a slum in Mumbai's Malad area, and was surprised by the media scrum outside his home after Wednesday's court ruling which found Khan guilty of killing his father and sentenced him to five years in jail. On Friday, the high court suspended the sentence.

'Not bothered'

"People are coming to see us now. Where were they for the past 13 years?" Mr Sheikh asks.

"The media is obsessed with the news about Salman Khan. But they are not bothered about the people he harmed."

Mr Sheikh says he really wishes to meet Khan and tell him about his woes.

"I have gone to his house many times and tried to meet him. But his security men always drove me away from the gate."

He says he is ready to "forgive" the star if he does something for his family.

"We have gone through very difficult times," Me Sheikh says.

His mother said they were promised a compensation of 1m rupees ($15,634; 10,127)

"But what will we do with this amount at this time of inflation?"

Kaleem Pathan, one of the four men who were injured in the incident, echoes similar sentiments.

Mr Pathan, who now lives in Sultanpur in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, says he used to work in the bakery in Mumbai when the incident happened.

'Compensation matters'

"My hands and feet sustained serious injuries. My waist, chest and legs still hurt. I have not been able to work after that."

He said he was paid a compensation of 150,000 rupees after the incident. Since the accident, he and his wife and daughter have lived with his younger brother and depend on his earnings.

"We thought we will get more compensation and be able to get on with our lives. My life is wasted."

Another victim, Abdullah Rauf Shaikh, was 22 years old and lost a leg in the accident.

He says he has been "forced to do petty jobs [in Mumbai] to support my family and face a lot of problems."

"I have no hard feelings for him [Khan]. I still watch his movies," he told reporters.

"[But] compensation matters more than conviction."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Atomicbomb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
"The media is obsessed with the news about Salman Khan. But they are not bothered about the people he harmed.
BINGO👏
pallavi25 thumbnail

WHAT!! So none of that Being Human fund went to the actual victims of his crime? 😲

Where is the accountability, Salman? Just posing in Being Human T-shirts, smiling with fake benevolence can fool a LOT of people but doesnt make you a good human being!

What a fraudalent, lying, shameless criminal! 🤢

Why isnt the media asking why the victims were not compensated even after 13 years?

Karenina thumbnail
Originally posted by: pallavi25

WHAT!! So none of that Being Human fund went to the actual victims of his crime? 😲

Where is the accountability, Salman? Just posing in Being Human T-shirts, smiling with fake benevolence can fool a LOT of people but doesnt make you a good human being!

What a fraudalent, lying, shameless criminal! 🤢

Why isnt the media asking why the victims were not compensated even after 13 years?

Whatever compensation he gives to the victims must be court directed because this is now a legal case. If Salman pays them, assists them, or helps them in any manner, the prosecutors would claim that Salman is tampering with the witnesses and trying to influence them.

The sad part is that the court could have directed Salman to help these people, help their children, and take care of them instead of being overindulgent and slapping him with a 5-year sentence. And that sentence too has now been proven to be rash and devoid of full-proof logic.

What's important right now is for justice to be served and the only way I see it is by helping victims and directing Salman to foster such homeless people within his vicinity.
roni_berna thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Why doesn't he give them a compensation after ruining their lives? That's really bad and they deserve the compensation rightfully but now they need to ask for it 🤢
pallavi25 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kareenafanatic

Whatever compensation he gives to the victims must be court directed because this is now a legal case. If Salman pays them, assists them, or helps them in any manner, the prosecutors would claim that Salman is tampering with the witnesses and trying to influence them.

The sad part is that the court could have directed Salman to help these people, help their children, and take care of them instead of being overindulgent and slapping him with a 5-year sentence. And that sentence too has now been proven to be rash and devoid of full-proof logic.

What's important right now is for justice to be served and the only way I see it is by helping victims and directing Salman to foster such homeless people within his vicinity.

Does this mean the Court did not punish Salman for his crime, nor did they ask him to pay compensation to the victims? 😲
Both ways the victims and their families lost!
Why isnt the media targeting the Courts then?
Why didnt Salman offer to pay compensation back in 2002. Even if he denied that he was driving, it was HIS car, wasnt it? Isnt he supposed to pay compensation for victims of crash caused by his own vehicle?
Its quite mind-boggling, really!
marium.marium thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Does this mean the Court did not punish Salman for his crime, nor did they ask him to pay
compensation to the victims?😲
Why didnt Salman offer to pay compensation back in 2002. Even if he denied that he was driving, it was HIS car, wasnt it? Isnt he supposed to pay compensation for victims of crash caused by his own vehicle?

Court directed Salman to pay 19Lakhs as compensation & Salman paid it way back in 2002-2003 itself when the accident happened. It's the system and authorities to blamed for compensation not reaching the victims completely.
Karenina thumbnail

Does this mean the Court did not punish Salman for his crime, nor did they ask him to pay compensation to the victims? 😲

The sessions court was more interested in putting Salman behind the bars than thinking about the victims. In the 240 page document, nowhere was it mentioned that Salman should compensate these people. And that's mind-boggling. You'd suppose that the first thing court would want is to ensure these people live a good life after the accident.

Once the case is in legal hands, you - as an individual - can't do anything. Any act of benevolence from Salman's side would be interpreted as influencing and even harassing the witnesses. He'd be charged for manipulating and tampering evidences, which is why he has remained quiet until now. For all the charity work he does, a few crores would have settled this, but the court is clearly interested in pinning down Salman than providing justice to those people.
Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6
since things are in the hands of court any personal compensation might tamper the case...as per law...its better the court orders salman to pay compensation to the victims family...unintentionally...he has ruined their lives...its time to make their lives better...its their large heart...they don't want salman in jail but only want him to help them...

Seriously salman needs to teach his bodygurd some manners...i have met his bunch of loosers during his transit flight from Singapore...i was officer-in-charge of that particular flight and gate...his bodygurads are extremely rude and arrogant...while salman was very cool and polite though he was little tipsy since he was little bit drunk(it was those times when his disease was not detected)...he has bunch of insolent idiots with him...my higher rank officers were behaving strict with them and they compile with the rules and regulations of the airport...even salman ask his bunch of loosers to behave as they are in country where law and order is main priority...insolent freaks...just becos you are a bodyguard to a famous superstar doesn't mean you behave like a loosers to others...
Edited by Mages - 8 years ago
persadian thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
is it not public knowledge that on the Bombay High Court's orders in 2007 , the actor paid Rs. 19 lakh for the victims - 10 lakh for the family of the dead man, three lakh for the seriously injured and 1.5 lakh for those with minor injuries and that none of the money reached the family? 

Edited by arishma108 - 8 years ago