Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

darkice7_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
@muskaan17rocks: Thanks! Glad you liked it. I've begun work on the next chapter, but it will probably take a while to come together.

@Kabhibloom - Thanks! The mystery will be revealed slowly but surely. πŸ˜†  The twin truth on the other hand, sooner rather than later. Both Sanam and Aahil have had a deep impact on each other and hold each others memory extremely close to their hearts. I've started writing the next chapter, but it will take a while. 😳

@NanduVijay - Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed Aahil and Rehan's relationship. I loved that bromance, but the CVs seriously dropped the ball on that one too, and then of course killed Rehan off. 😭 That won't happen in this story. πŸ˜† I'll try to update soon.

@sahil333 - Thanks! 😳 I knew you would like the flashbacks, since you mentioned them in a previous comment. Glad to oblige. I'm glad the emotions in those scenes got through. I'm happy you're enjoying the story. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the banner love; found a new site that seems to make everything really easy for you in terms of banner making.

@sagelower7 - Thanks! Glad you liked the buildup. πŸ˜ƒ

@adventure_gurl - Thanks for the compliment on the mix and the story, I'm happy you're enjoying it. πŸ˜‰

@mahwash22
- Can I just . . . πŸ€— Who takes the time to say in such detail how much they're enjoying a story? You do and it really, really touched me to know that you're appreciating this story to such a degree. ☺️ I love writing, but to read comments like yours truly makes the experience worth while. I am glad you like the idea behind the tale . . . and the interactions Aahil has had with Rehan and Sanam thus far. More to come. I hope you keep on enjoying the story to this same degree. πŸ˜†

@minnie2308 - Thanks for the compliments! Glad you liked the bromance, and you're right this is the true bromance not the pale imitation we have on our TVs right now. I'm glad you're liking how the families are set up and their interactions. There's more to come, so please keep on reading and commenting. πŸ˜†
darkice7_12 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 5: Affecting Her, Affecting Him

~*~*~*~*~*~

She had just had an extremely busy day, and she wanted so badly to just lay down and veg out in front of the TV for a while. Putting her arms over her head, she did a full-body stretch. "Hmm," she moaned, her stiff muscles finally relaxing after a full day of being tense due to work-related stress.

She smiled slowly as an idea popped into her head. Why not . . . ? Half an hour later, she was standing in her best set of casual clothes, her hair carefully stylized. It was time to put her plan into action. Looking to the left and then to the right, she noted that the coast was clear.  Taking a quick step forward, she smiled in satisfaction, almost tasting her successful escape.

"Seher Ahmed Khan, just where do you think you're going?!" a voice called out to her from the direction of the kitchen. "What is the world coming to? My daughter comes home and doesn't even stop by to say 'salaam' to her mother?" Zoya sighed dramatically. "Anyways, we're having dinner in an hour. You can't go anywhere! I'm cooking!"Zoya revealed chirpily.

Darn! Double whammy. Mom was cooking, and she was stopping her from going over to the Ibrahim Mansion and get her flirt on. She growled softly to herself, a scowl appearing on her face. She needed to spend some time with Aahil Raza Ibrahim. She hadn't seen him in over a week, having missed out on the trip next door that her mother had made with Sanam.

Lucky girl,' she thought for the umpteenth time. Who would've known that the Nawab of Bhopal was moving in next door to the Khans? Lucky us.

She hadn't gotten much beyond texting him "Hi" and "How's it going" a few times. How many times could a girl really text someone without seeming pushy? She exhaled loudly in frustration. The guy seemed really shy for being a Nawab. You'd think he would have gotten out and about and have some experience. A hint of a smile played across her lips, as she realized how much she liked that shyness.

The sound of a throat clearing brought her back down to earth.

"Do you have eyes in the back of your head, mom?" Seher asked in a disgruntled tone, turning around to frown at her mother.

"Yep, right smack dab in the middle," Zoya tossed back with a smile.

"I'm going out to get some milk," Seher lied blithely.

"We have enough milk, missy. And you're going to the store in your favorite jeans and blouse?" Zoya asked skeptically. "Ha! Try again."

"I don't know why it matters, mother. Why am I even lying to you?" Seher whined.

"Why are you?" Zoya asked in interest, crossing her arms across her chest and leaning against the doorway. "I thought I was your partner in crime?"

"I'm going next door," Seher admitted in a rush.

Zoya's eyes brightened at that revelation.  "Really?"

Seher nodded bashfully.

"To see the boys?"

Seher nodded again, wincing at him being referred to as a boy. He was all man!

"Which one?" Zoya shot at her.

"Which one what?" Seher shot back at her mother. "Mom, you know which one! Stop teasing me," she suddenly said, moving over to stand next to her mother to tug at her arm.

"You're right. I'm just joking. Go! Go!" Zoya urged, making a shooing motion with her free hand.

Seher chuckled at the delighted smile on her mother's face and leaned in to plant a big kiss on her mother's cheek. "Thanks mom!" she called out, racing out the door, confidence bubbling inside of her.

"What was that, Zoya?" Dilshad asked in a stern voice from behind her. "You just sent our girl over to meet some man?"

"Ammi," Zoya protested, "They're old enough. You know Seher is fun-loving like me. She's had crushes before, but never acted on them that seriously. There are very few things that she actually does take seriously. Her career is one. And it looks like she may have found the other. Don't you think we should help her find out whether this boy might be the one?"

Dilshad smiled and came up to hug Zoya. "I know," she murmured unhappily. "It's just that I don't want them to grow up."

"I think they grew up a while ago, Ammi," Zoya replied gently. "They just let us pretend they were still our baby girls."

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Seher moved up to the doorway, reaching up a finger to ring the bell. It was then that she noticed that the door was already open. Sticking her head in, she called out a soft hello.

There was no answer.

Walking in, not as confident now as she had been minutes ago, she called out a hesitant, "Hello! Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?"

She heard a step behind her. Whirling around, her widening eyes caught the figure coming to stand in front of her.

"Oh."  It was a soft exhalation of sound.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Ammi!" Sanam said indignantly, coming in from the garden. Her face was covered with a thundercloud of dissatisfaction. She rubbed furiously at her cheeks, where dirt had landed while she had been gardening outside. Abu liked to tease her that gardening was just an excuse for her to play in the dirt, just the way she used to when she was a child. She was in no mood to be teased today, she thought, rubbing furiously at the dirt.

"What is it, beta?" Zoya asked, wiping her hands on the apron tied around her waist.

"Is Seher over at the Ibrahim Mansion?" she fairly growled the question. "Raggu said he saw her headed that way. When did she even get home, that she's now sneaking over there?"

"Ye-es," Zoya answered, surprised by the anger on her daughter's face. Sanam was never this emotional about anything.  'Interesting,' she thought to herself.

"Why?" Sanam fairly screamed at her mother, almost stomping her foot like a two-year-old.

"Sanam what does it matter?" Zoya asked, wondering what was going on with her normally quiet and rational daughter. "Your sister wanted to go over and see the Nawab. What's wrong with that?"

"What's wrong with that?" Sanam yelped incredulously. "That's a bachelor's house!" Sanam lectured her mother furiously.

"Since when did you become so old-fashioned?" Zoya asked in exasperation. "Don't be such a prude, Sanam!"

"She has my face, Ammi," Sanam finally muttered after a moment's silence. She gulped, her throat dry at the thoughts running through her head. "What if . . ."

"What if the great Rehan thinks that she's you and flirting with the Nawab instead of him?" Zoya murmured, finally understanding her daughter's reasoning.

Sanam hung her head in shame, but nodded nonetheless.

"How could he not know the difference between you two?" Zoya asked, letting romance beat out any rational thought.

"He walked away, mom, when we were over there," Sanam got out past the knot in her throat, her hands curling into fists. "Remember, when the Nawab was talking to me?  It was just about when he touched my hand. Rehan didn't know what was going on! He didn't know that his friend thought I was Seher! Although, how the man missed you calling me by name, I don't know,"  Sanam muttered balefully, a pout appearing on her lips.

"But honey, if you're meant to be, of course Rehan will know who you are. And of course Aahil will know who his sanam is," she finished with a quip.

"Ammi!"

"I'm just joking!" Zoya said quickly. "Honey, you know your name means beloved. Don't take everything so seriously," she admonished her daughter. "They will know their beloveds, no matter how alike you look. If a man doesn't know you . . . can't tell the difference between the two of you, that means you don't affect him. You don't affect his mind, his heart or his body." She blushed softly as she said those words. "If you don't affect him in any way . . . is he really meant for you?"

"Ammi, this is not a romance novel! We can't expect total strangers to know the difference between the two of us from the very first meeting. In the time it takes for someone normal to tell us apart, what if . . .," her voice trailed off, as she was unable to give voice to her fears. "I'm going over there," Sanam said abruptly. "Someone has to stop Seher from embarrassing herself!"

Zoya's eyes widened. "Sanam, wait!"

Ignoring her mother's calls, Sanam left the house with determined steps. What had her mom been thinking? How could she just let Seher go over there and make a fool out of the both of them?

She stopped outside the doors of Ibrahim mansion, those hateful thoughts still running through her head. Crossing her arms across her chest, she scrunched in on herself. Why was she thinking this way about her own sister . . . her twin sister, who was a part of her very soul? Her chest heaved frantically, as she dealt with her fears.

Leaning against the front doors of his home, she centered herself, trying to find the emotional calm she was so used to. She had never been one of those teenagers that had had emotional ups and downs . . . she had only had one focus. To become an attorney. To become a protector of the weak.

So what was the reason for this inner turmoil? What was the reason that her heart wouldn't be soothed? She rubbed at the spot above her heart. She wasn't ashamed of Seher! Seher was flighty sometimes and had a naughty streak, but she was all good with no hints of malice. Then, why was she . . . ?

A flash of chocolaty brown eyes staring into hers. A musky, addictive scent enfolding her in its sensual grip. A pair of warm, strong arms enclosing her body, his warmth stealing into her entire being.

It was him.

His breath wafting across her lips. His cheek brushing against hers. Her lips pressing against that golden, brown throat. She had felt the movement of him swallowing under her lips, that moment of intimacy still with her to this day.

He was the reason.

His presence . . . his entire being had taken over her senses so completely that she had spent the past week obsessing over him. He had been with her every second of her week off. She couldn't believe that she'd given the man who had impacted her life to such a degree almost no thoughts . . . at least nothing compared to how many times she had thought about this stranger.

She put her hands up to her forehead, trying to massage the turmoil away. Sanam didn't know how to deal with these feelings regarding a man . . . any man. She had ruthlessly cut any such thoughts from her conscious mind growing up. She had never even had a crush as a young girl. Ammi said that she was just like Abu in these matters. Emotionally stunted. She couldn't de--

Sanam squawked loudly when the door at her back suddenly burst open, and she landed in a pair of strong arms. 'Not again,' she moaned to herself. Had she turned into a total klutz since that man had entered her life?!

"Haye Allah! What is this?" Lateef fairly shouted in her ear.

She winced at the high volume and quickly pushed herself away. "I'm sorry!" she yelped, staring at the other woman.

"And just what were you doing leaning against our door?" Lateef asked suspiciously. "Wait a minute, you . . ."

Sanam's heart began to pound. She wondered frantically if Lateef had realized her feelings for Rehan. Were they that apparent?

"What are you doing outside? Didn't I just see you talking to . . .?" Lateef's brow wrinkled in confusion.

"Oh, that wasn't me," Sanam said immediately. "That was my twin sister, Seher."

"Hmph. Whatever. You two both look really alike. Well, what can I do for you?" Lateef asked impatiently.

Sanam cleared her throat and forced herself to ask the right question. "Where is Mr. Ibrahim? I need to see him." While she really wanted to ask where Rehan Imran Qureshi was, it was Mr. Ibrahim who Seher had come to see. It would be with him that she would find her erstwhile twin.

"Oh, Laad Saab?" Lateef said, with a blushing smile. "He's swimming right now." She paused for a moment to sigh dreamily. "Oh, that reminds me. I have to get him some juice. He'll be parched after his swim. Come in if you want to." She left, saying those dismissive words.

Sanam walked hesitantly into the home, her eyes caught by the pictures that now graced the interior walls. Pictures of family. Of two little girls . . . seemingly twins like her and Seher. She remembered that Ammi had said something about the Nawab having sisters. Her eyes moved along, seeing pictures of Rehan at his graduation with the Nawab standing tall next to him. The two had their arms around each other's shoulders and were smiling happily. One picture of the Nawab as a younger child, although that picture looked a bit ratty. And multiple pictures of Rehan . . . always standing with a sullen expression on his face between those two little, twin girls. Her brow wrinkled in confusion. Exactly how long had the Nawab and Rehan known each other?

Shaking her head, she walked deeper into the home, making her way into the living room. Flowers were placed in multiple vases around the room, giving the room some badly needed color.  Colorful throws graced the backs of the sofas and chairs.

She heard the soft sound of a splash. Turning her head, she followed the sound to the pool area. But she couldn't see anyone else near the pool. Where was Seher?

Moving closer, she looked at the gliding figure under the water. Broad shoulders . . . strong arms . . . golden, brown skin. Her eyes widening in surprise, she realized that it was not the Nawab she was looking at, but the man she had spent the past week thinking about.

Without a second thought, she ducked behind the pillar, her heart beating double-time. What the hell? What was she doing? Why was she hiding behind a pillar rather than talking to him? Wouldn't that make it worse if he found her here?

Carefully peeking around the pillar, she saw him pull himself out of the pool, reaching his arms above his head for a stretch. Stray droplets fell from his body, spraying the area around him. She bit her lip, her eyes moving over that breathtaking expanse. Turning, he grabbed a towel to dry himself off. Her eyes traced the play of muscles in that back, at the water dripping down . . . over that glistening skin . . . to the wet shorts, closely molded to his . . .

Her fingers curled into fists, as she fought the urge to touch. She gulped, biting her lip at the dirty thoughts running through her mind. Oh, how she wanted to trace those drops of water, touching that skin. She wanted to trace them with her lips . . . to taste him, taking his taste deep inside of herself so that she could keep him there forever.

She closed her eyes in embarrassment, a blush covering her cheeks. "Ya Allah, what is wrong with me? He's a near stranger! How can I be thinking such thoughts about him? But why does it feel like I have some sort of connection to him? Why? Why do I have this strong urge to touch . . . taste? Am I making up for lost time? This can't be normal," she whispered to herself.

His hands briskly moved the towel over his body, wiping those tempting drops away, leaving him dry . . . but still oh so tempting. He began to rub oil over his body, his hands smoothing the oil over his chest . . . his six-pack . . . and down under the waistband of his swimming shorts.

"Oh my God," Sanam moaned helplessly, her eyes glued to those hands.

"Haye Allah!" a voice breathed out by her side.

Sanam turned her head, jumping slightly to see Lateef standing there.

Lateef looked at her and then muttered a quick "hmph."

"Lateef!" Rehan suddenly roared, making the two of them jump. "Where's my juice? Late--." His voice broke off upon seeing Lateef standing there with the tray. "What are you doing there? Is something wrong?"

Sanam silently shook her head at Lateef, silently begging the servant to keep quiet about her presence.

Lateef shook her head at Sanam and raced forward. "It's nothing, Aa. . .Baba. Here's your juice. I just freshly made it."

"Thank you," he muttered, taking a quick swallow.

Sanam swiftly sidled away, thanking God that her presence had not been noted by anyone. And by anyone, she really meant him. Exhaling loudly, she quickly moved back towards the door, unable to deal with anyone else right now. Seher would have to make sure she didn't embarrass the two of them. She'd done enough today to endanger their reputations.

As she was heading down the hallway, she heard the sounds of voices from another room. That was Seher's voice! Following her sister's voice to the dining area, she saw Seher and the Nawab at the dining room table, having tea. While they might have been talking a moment ago, they were now silently gazing at each other. Seher was actually blushing.

The dying sun's rays came into the room from the sole window behind them, enclosing them in a glow of soft light. The curtain of that sole window fluttered slightly in the wind. The room itself was big . . . the table big enough to seat twelve. And in that room, the two sat close together at the head of the table, immersed in each other.

Sanam sighed regretfully. Her sister would never have embarrassed her. How could she have thought such a thing? Sanam cleared her throat delicately, breaking their enchantment with each other. "I'm sorry to intrude," Sanam said, coming over to the couple. "I was looking for Seher."

"Oh, you didn't intrude," the Nawab protested, quickly getting up. Pulling out a chair, he gestured for Sanam to take seat across the table from Seher. Going back to the head of the table, he offered to pour Sanam some tea. Sanam nodded her thanks, gratefully excepting the cup to calm her nerves.

Seher was staring at Sanam, seeming to signal something with her eyes.

Sanam shook her head, unable to understand.

Reaching up a hand, Seher touched her cheek.

Sanam shook her head at her weird twin and turned towards Aahil.

Aahil cleared his throat. "I apologize for mistaking you for your sister on the last visit," he proffered.

"We didn't even get a chance to really clear the confusion. Ammi hustled us out of there when Lateef dropped even more food on her while trying to clean up the juice," Sanam protested. "Why would you worry about it?"

"Your sister was reading me the riot act about it," Aahil explained wryly. "In fact, she has been doing so for the past half hour," he continued ruefully.

"Well! How do I not scold you?" Seher protested. "You were cold to me all this week because my sister was clearly uncomfortable around you during that visit. I thought I had made enough of an impression on you that you would have known. But you thought I was Sanam! Please."

"I did know . . . or I thought I did," Aahil admitted, gazing into Seher's eyes entreatingly. "That night . . .," he shook his head. "The more I thought about it, the more I saw you hadn't wanted to talk to me. You seemed more interested in . . . forget it. I didn't want to presume."

Seher smiled at him, shaking her head at how cute he was. "Aahil, if a woman text messages you multiple times, then take the hint."

"You both are completely different," the Nawab continued, gazing at the two of them. " Your dear sister has pointed out to me that I better not make that mistake again." He smiled at Seher, almost caressing her with his eyes.

Seher smiled cheekily in response, but then looked down to play with her cup of tea.

Sanam shifted uncomfortably in her chair, feeling like an intruder. What had she been thinking? Her sister might be serious about a man for the first time in her life, and Sanam had only been focused on herself and how Seher's behavior would affect her. How selfish could she have been?

"Mom said your family had the summer house next door to our uncle when we were kids," Seher suddenly mentioned, naming the town near which the summer houses had been located.

Sanam's eyes widened. She tried to kick at Seher's foot under the table, but the darn table was too big!

"What?" Aahil asked in confusion.

"Yeah, you know. It was that big converted farm house about 50 miles in that direction," Seher reminded him, pointing in the entirely wrong direction. "Our uncle, Imran Qureshi, made his home there about 22 years ago after some . . . events. He lived there with my cousin, Haya, so we would visit quite often. You must have met her. She was here last time with mom and Sanam."

Aahil's eyes had widened at those words, his face paling. He swallowed and said, "I'm not sure . . ."

"You remember that house, Aahil," a husky, male voice called out from the dining room entrance. "You told me many stories about it."

Sanam looked at the man standing across the room, her eyes hopelessly entranced by him. He was fully dressed now. Darn it. In jeans and a white shirt with black buttons. The collar and the first few buttons were open, allowing her eyes to feast on all of that bare skin. His hair was still wet though, a reminder of the delectable view she had just enjoyed minutes ago.

She found it hard to look away, but a small part of her mind found enough rationality to wonder at the stories the Nawab would have told his friend about that house.

"Oh! Oh yes, we were rarely there," the Nawab murmured. "That's why I was finding it hard to remember."

Sanam blinked at that statement. Hadn't Ammi mentioned the Ibrahims would come down there multiple times a year? Then, why . . . She exhaled softly when she realized. Why would he want to mention that place to complete strangers? Especially when he had been so badly abused there. She gazed at the Nawab with compassion. It did her heart good to realize that he had escaped that abuse with nary a mark on his psyche. That smile on his face held nothing of what she usually saw in the faces of domestic violence survivors.

And then all thoughts fled, as that man came towards the table. Her heart began to beat rapidly. Where would he sit? Who would he choose? Her mouth fell open slightly, when he came around the table and sat next to her, his movements causing his leg to brush against hers. As he reached for the teapot, his arm brushed hers. Moments ago that arm . . . all of him really, had been glistening wet.

She closed her eyes, her mind now focusing only on the fact that he had sat next to her. He must somehow know that she was Sanam! All rational thought had fled her mind, her world view taking on the haze of rainbows and romance. Her heart was bursting with joy, translating into the smile that grew on her face.

"So, twins, huh?" he said casually, turning to gaze at Sanam with an unexpected smile.

Sanam nodded, smiling back helplessly.

"Your sister gave me quite a surprise when she came in this afternoon," he revealed.

Her smile fell away, all of the joy draining away. Her fingers curled into fists, and she quickly put them in her lap. Of course. Seher had been here for an hour. What had made her think that this man hadn't already seen her sister . . . hadn't already talked to her? Seher would have told him immediately who she was, just like Sanam had tried to do with the Nawab on that last visit. There was nothing meaningful about him sitting next to her. He hadn't known that Sanam was Sanam. He'd only known that she wasn't Seher. She bit her bottom lip, unhappiness growing inside of her.

Aahil gazed at the unhappy look on Sanam's face, wondering at the reason for that cloudy expression. He stared intently when his attention finally caught something else on that beautiful face. "I'm sorry. I can't ignore it," he said suddenly, pulling out a handkerchief and pouring some water onto it from a nearby glass. "I don't think you'd want me to, either, when my silence would mean you'd walk around like that for who knows how much longer."

Sanam blinked at his behavior, wondering what he was doing.

Reaching out, he touched her cheek, gently brushing at it with the handkerchief. "You had some dirt on your cheeks," he murmured in explanation, turning her face with a finger to clean the other cheek.

Sanam gasped in embarrassment, quickly closing her eyes. Snagging the handkerchief from his hand, she scrubbed at her cheeks. She turned to glare at Seher, shooting daggers at her twin. 'Why didn't you tell me?' she yelled at her silently.

'I was trying to signal. You didn't understand!' Seher wiggled her eyebrows at her, the message clear.

'You couldn't open your mouth?' Sanam protested with her eyes.

'I was about to, but he showed up!' Seher said with a frustrated grimace.

God, here she was in her oldest shalwar kameez, clothes clearly used for household chores, sweaty from gardening and now with dirt on her face! What a picture she must make. In the three times they had seen each other, she had looked utterly normal, even slovenly today, for two of those times.

"I hear you're a lawyer," he noted after she was done cleaning her face, her eyes resolutely downcast. "We didn't get a chance to talk at the gala. Your sister said that you are actually an attorney for the non-profit that was in charge of the festivities."

Sanam nodded, pushing away slightly from the table to put some distance between the two of them. "I just passed the exam a few months ago. It was my first assignment helping to prepare for that gala."

Her mind wasn't 100% on that conversation. Ammi had said. . . If a man doesn't know you . . . can't tell the difference between the two of you, that means you don't affect him. You don't affect his mind, his heart or his body. If you don't affect him in any way . . . is he really meant for you?

Seher had told him. Seher had had to tell him. Because, like the Nawab, he hadn't known the difference. Her shoulders slumped. Why was she making such a big deal out of this? 'But . . . he's supposed to know me. He's supposed to know who I am,' she thought to herself, irrationally disappointed. 'I would have known.'

"I specialized in business law so that I could work with Aahil and help him with the Nawab's properties and corporate interests. And what do you do at LSB?" he moved slightly, his thigh lightly touching hers before moving away.

She flinched at the contact. Her mind strived to deal with her irrational feelings. Why was she expecting so much. They'd seen each other three times . . . but then . . . why did it feel like it had been more than that? Despite how hard she tried to convince herself . . . her heart cried out one thing . . . he was supposed to know me.

"I work with domestic violence survivors, helping them to get the help they need to escape their lives of abuse," she said softly. She was too immersed in her own thoughts to notice him stiffening beside her.

There was a moment of silence, as two of the people at that table dealt with that disclosure. Sanam was too immersed in her own internal drama to notice the brittle silence that had fallen over the group. 'Doesn't he feel anything special around me? Don't his heartbeats tell him who I am? I can feel his heat from here, but he feels nothing. My hands won't stop trembling, the need to touch him is so strong, but I don't affect him at all.'

"Oh, Sanam," Seher broke in.

Sanam looked up questioningly, raising her chin in silent question.

"I didn't even have to tell Rehan that I wasn't you," she revealed, slanting a speaking glance at the Nawab at her elbow. "He just knew."

"Hey!" the Nawab protested to Seher. "I didn't know you two were twins. Cut me some slack!"

"Excuses. Excuses," Seher said archly. "But Rehan knew immediately."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

She heard a step behind her. Whirling around, her widening eyes caught the figure coming to stand in front of her.

"Oh."  It was a soft exhalation of sound. "Rehan!" Seher said, frantically looking around for her prey  . . . um, the Nawab."You're here." She blinked innocently up at him.

She looked at him, confused, when he abruptly stepped back, his face stiffening almost imperceptibly. "Hmm. What are you doing here?"he asked abruptly, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Well, I just came to pick up the dishes we dropped off last week," Seher murmured distractedly, grabbing onto that excuse for her presence here. Why had she been so confident when she traipsed over? Why couldn't her addled brain think of any reason besides the dishes that the others had brought over? Oh my God, what if he thought she was Sanam?! She didn't want to do that to her sister. Especially not with this man. Opening her mouth, she was ready to confess all and throw herself at his mercy. Although, her heart did cringe about having to admit her actual reason for coming over.

"I'm sorry," he said suddenly. "I thought . . ." His arms fell to his sides.

She looked up, distracted from her own internal argument.

"I don't think we've been introduced. You are . . .?"

A big smile grew across her face, revealing her intense relief. "I'm Seher Ahmed Khan. Sanam's twin sister."

"So, twins, huh?" A smile grew across his face.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sanam turned to gaze at the man next to her, her eyes meeting his with a look of chagrin.

He wondered at that. Why was she . . .?

She turned away, a blush appearing in her cheeks once more. Her hands continued to tremble, so much so that she dropped his handkerchief on the floor. "Shoot," she softly murmured, reaching down to grab it.

Her hand was caught in his, as he leaned down, as well.

Her eyes rose to meet his, startled at that contact.  He was so warm, his heat invading her entire being from that point of contact. A feeling of lethargy was spreading through her limbs; it was as if she was unable to move . . . to pull away from him.

He stared into her eyes, his lips inches away from hers. Their breaths mingled . . . their faces so close . . . close enough to kiss. Her lips fell open in response to his proximity, the breath leaving her body with a quiet gasp.

His gaze was smoldering, a small smile playing on those sexy lips.

She wanted to touch. The handkerchief fell out of her hand, but his grasp did not loosen. His fingers gripped hers tightly; it felt for a moment as if he was threading his fingers through hers, but he suddenly let go.

Sanam slowly straightened, the handkerchief lying forgotten on the floor. Staring at his profile, she wondered at his behavior.

He was deliberately looking away, his attention focused completely on Seher and his friend now.

His eyes had burned with the fire inside, speaking of his own need.

She wondered what her own eyes had revealed to him? She blew out a breath, trying to cool down her cheeks. And then a smile began to grow on her face once more.

She did affect him. Mind, heart and body.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

||

\/

Chapter 06 - Knowing Her, Knowing Him : Part I and Part II

A/N: Chapter 5 for your reading pleasure. Thank you everyone for leaving such wonderful comments the last time around. As always, comments are very encouraging, and the more I see, the faster I'll update. πŸ˜› So, do let me know what you thought of this chapter.

Edited by darkice7_12 - 8 years ago
Kabhibloom thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Oh such a beautiful n wonderful chapter.
I just loved it.
Fake rehan(Ahil) n Sanam r attracted to each other.
They affect each other.
Fake rehan(Ahil) could recognize Sanam n seher.
Continue soon.
Don't make us wait too long.
minnie2308 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

this one is very good too!

Oh god .. the way you made me hold my breath in that Aahil-Sanam pool scene.

I love that these 2 are neighbours. It is fun to read Sehan interaction too. In the serial I always felt they were not utilized and developed properly..
you are doing such a wonderful job creating these characters from the scratch. such a wonderful piece of writing. πŸ‘
AnnzSageflower7 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Loved the sibling rivalry !! πŸ‘
Can't wait to see what double trouble will do when they discover the guys have switched identities! 

So exciting !!
muskaan17rocks thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Amazing chapter
so beautifully written
eagerly waiting for the next part
please continue soon😊
chicksoup thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Fantastic.πŸ‘
I loved the last interaction at the table.These two are explosive...Sehaan beautifully woven in...

An absolute delight.😳 Thank U...and please continue ASAP.
adventure_gurl thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
awesome banner and loved the update!
sahil333 thumbnail
This chapter is just so awesomely wonderful. πŸ‘ 

I've enjoyed it immensely from beginning to end.

Sanam and Zoya, I could imagine their convo with each other. Loved it.

Real Aahil and Sanam, I could feel the heated electricity between them...ufff! ☺️

Love this chapter to the core and love the awesome banner.

And then I say: update soon please!!! 😊

Mahu34 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Heart racing update... Such a beautiful chapter this was. So full of feelings, hidden secrets and curiosity. 

I've got to let you know how many times I've actually stopped at the beginning to control my laughter. God, both daughter and mother is on the roll. πŸ˜†

"To see the boys?"

Seher nodded again, wincing at him being referred to as a boy. He was all man!

"Which one?" Zoya shot at her.

Aww... Seher is seriously way too cute. She is falling in love and I adore her bluntness.. Also the small cute conversation Dilshad had with her daughter-in-law, was so heart touching

I love Sanam! I love Seher. I love every single character which is in the story! There I said it.

I could so picture this! Such a lovely grumpy young woman. πŸ˜†

Abu liked to tease her that gardening was just an excuse for her to play in the dirt, just the way she used to when she was a child.

*Gives a standing ovation!*

Wow! I think I just shed a tear.. This is seriously so deep. So heartwarming and touched me beyond words. πŸ‘

"They will know their beloveds, no matter how alike you look. If a man doesn't know you . . . can't tell the difference between the two of you, that means you don't affect him. You don't affect his mind, his heart or his body." She blushed softly as she said those words. "If you don't affect him in any way . . . is he really meant for you?"

It was such a nice insight we got into Sanam's inner thoughts. About Seher and the Handsome Stranger. The following quote is so apt - If only you really knew, Sanam.. If only you knew the real truth..

I'm actually really stoked on reading the moment when Sanam will realize that the boy she met years ago is the Stranger.. I get goosebumps just to think of the possible scenario will happen in future.

She couldn't believe that she'd given the man who had impacted her life to such a degree almost no thoughts . . . at least nothing compared to how many times she had thought about this stranger.

That moment where she sees him swimming is so intimate. I actually blushed a few times. I mean, all she is doing is peeking behind the pillar.. Gosh.. That's what you create with your words... The want and need is so raw and I can actually feel it burn my skin. Ouch... 

Oh, how she wanted to trace those drops of water, touching that skin. She wanted to trace them with her lips . . . to taste him, taking his taste deep inside of herself so that she could keep him there forever.

HOTNESS OVERLOAD.. I REPEAT.. HOTNESS OVERLOAD.. β˜ΊοΈ

I loved how the ping-pong is going between Aahil and Rehan. They are really looking out for each other and making sure nothing goes amiss. This is my favorite part. Seriously the sheer awesomeness the way he arrived at the table and casually answers.

Aahil's eyes had widened at those words, his face paling. He swallowed and said, "I'm not sure . . ."

"You remember that house, Aahil," a husky, male voice called out from the dining room entrance. "You told me many stories about it."

And the way Aahil cleaned the dirt from Sanam's cheek and he could tell the difference between the two sisters. Although I liked the small comic timing with Rehan. Haayeee... β€οΈ

Oh, you've got me wanting more.. again..

His eyes had burned with the fire inside, speaking of his own need.
She did affect him. Mind, heart and body.

You can't end it here. I need more to calm my heavy thoughts and beating heart. Once again, such a beautiful chapter filled with so much intensity and feelings. I hope you update soon, because you're so good at this. I will not get tired of no matter how many times I've said it before - this story deserves so much love for its incredible portrayal. πŸ€—