Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

The ramblings of a restless mind (Page 11)

AnnaElsa Goldie

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

hollyBollyWood Groupbie
hollyBollyWood
hollyBollyWood

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by desigal90

Originally posted by kitkataha

Desi gal : that's the same debate we had in class a couple of weeks back when we discussed intoxication manslaughter. It is an interesting topic altogether. I have limited insights as well when it comes to alcohol due to religious restriction (personal choice as well), however, here in the States, there are defenses like involuntary intoxication (rarely successful though). Temporary insanity under voluntary intoxication can also be used as a mitigating factor interestingly. The main defense to it is obviously "intention", as that's difficult to prove, which is why most cases end up amounting to recklessness and negligence.

It just seems kinda counterintuitive to me.
The law says don't drink and drive because it impairs balance, perception, reflexes.
But alcohol also impairs judgment. And decision to drive drunk or to find a friend to designate to drive you is a judgement you make in a state when theoretically your judgement is impaired.

I find it so much more similar to punishing a minor because their judgement is not mature yet/impaired. In a state of intoxication, I would think that even a responsible adult would make the same mistakes a minor makes. 

I guess that's why to me, when it comes to punishment, I think the intent takes precedent over the end matter. 
Yes, a life was lost. But a life is also lost in an accident. We still say it was an accident.. I didn't mean for it to happen.

From what I've read, most people seem content that Salman is punished because it was the law and nobody should be above the law.
I'm more concerned about the victims, the families involved, and yes, even the accused's intent.
In such cases, my intuition and basal morality says to me...well if you didn't mean for it to happen, you still caused harm. You still caused a life to be lost. Make up for it. Do something about it. Help these people out. 

But I guess I'm not the law. 
Just a rambling mind LOL

but the judgment was not impaired when a person drove themselves to a venue and decided to consume alcohol there without making arrangements for a designated driver or take a cab back or catch a ride with someone else, or any such arrangement that would not require operating a motor vehicle.  in that case the person made a judgement, in a non-impaired state of mind, to drink, knowing that they will at some point have to leave the venue, presumably driving themselves back. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

AnnaElsaAllBlacks1pallavi25desigal90

ARK_ Goldie

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 3:48pm | IP Logged

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

desigal90blue-ice.

SalmanKiBiwi Goldie

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

glitter.QueenExpression_Darling_Ramsha..

QueenExpression Goldie
QueenExpression
QueenExpression

Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Sanju_

I know I am going to get mocked and bashed, but how many of these people who are rejoicing will come forward to donate/help the victims? How many of them actually feel the justice has been served wherein the victims themselves do not equate Salman going to jail to them getting justice? Is Salman going to the jail  the most justified action? I don't really think so...not after all these years!! It is sad but couple of them rejoicing are using humanity aspect to try to hide their hatred for a celebrity! 

It's true no one is above the law and Salman is no exception...he had wronged and he is being punished, but it is also equally true that his case has been aggravated due to his celebrity status and the zealous detractors! To me compensating the victims and Salman being jailed for 2 years would be the best solution in this scenario. I detest people who drink and drive because by doing so, they are risking other innocent people's lives as well, hence, a punishment is a must. However, in this case, Salman serving 5 years of jail term is not the only ideal solution...the most important thing is victims getting the true justice...Anyway Karma bites back and Salman is being bitten as well...in fact, he has been for the longest time, but Karma is not exclusive to celebrities, some members here shouldn't forget this!!! Some of them have shown new lows in bashing Salman and celebrating his conviction, which won't go unnoticed as well!  Some of them really need to understand the difference between homicide and murder and not exchange them interchangeably!!! Anyway all said and done, I hope the best for all the parties involved and hope everyone gets to be at a peaceful state eventually, victims by getting the proper justice and Salman by serving appropriate punishment,

well said...I completely agree. Not most people...but some make it so obvious esp some SRK fans.  I wonder how many people on this forum actually wouldn't shy away from paying someone instead of going to jail. Please! Who on earth would say, No..I would rather go to jail and serve my time.  At least I wouldn't..esp if it was a mistake. Does it make me a bad person? Hello, no. Just a stupid selfish person who wasn't being careful in the first place and was driving under the influence. 

I neither support Salman and his crimes nor am I against him...but like you said...going to jail after so many years doesn't make sense at all. 

Edited by QueenExpression - 08 May 2015 at 6:05pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

_Darling_Ramsha..

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 6:35pm | IP Logged
Nice post DG..
First let me say that drunk driving accident is not JUST an accident...The driver always knows its a crime and he can kill/hurt someone...so u can't call it killing without intent...this part is not even debatable for me..

Coming to the point that the criminal should be made to pay instead of doing jail time...I disagree...if a crime warrants a jail time then jail time it has to be...the law should be equal for everyone...So if u let one criminal go because he is rich enough to dole out money to the victim...how will that be fair to another one who is not rich enough??

What will happen if the rich brats think that ..oh I can do anything because I will anyways go and compensate the victim after that...

A victim can always sue the criminal in a civil case after he has been convicted and ask for money...this is how it is done usually...u file another civil case for compensation...it is not necessary to substitute jail time with compensation...they both can be done together..

A law has to look objectively and rely on facts and not emotions...otherwise it will be a big mess...if u let a drunk driver go just because he was drunk and he caused an accident...he didn't mean to...what would you do if a rapist comes up with the same argument...oh I was so drunk that i raped her...I am going to compensate her now...would that be acceptable to anyone of us??

Edited by blue-ice - 09 May 2015 at 6:36pm
TheRowdiest IF-Stunnerz
TheRowdiest
TheRowdiest

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:49pm | IP Logged
I didn't chk all the pages but those ppl who r bashing salman like anything , calling him murderer and what not are actually saying that if that girl had a licence , car had an insurance , was on phone Not drunk, they paid the compensation to the victims so it's ok if that girl got away ? 
blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 09 May 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TheRowdiest

I didn't chk all the pages but those ppl who r bashing salman like anything , calling him murderer and what not are actually saying that if that girl had a licence , car had an insurance , was on phone Not drunk, they paid the compensation to the victims so it's ok if that girl got away ? 

lol...it doesn't happen this way...DG has not put the full details here...may be that girl was exonerated of all charges...

When a crime is committed ...the victims can't come and say that ...we want money and let this person go...its not in the hands of the victims...otherwise a lot of rich people would get away by paying blood money...a crime has to punished...I don't know the details of this girl's case to comment but wikipedia is not really a reliable site to comment on the basis of what is written in there.

Go to top