Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: nkapoor001

he should have just pleaded insanity! During that time he was insane! He did all his stupid dramas in 2002!

😳 😆
hollyBollyWood thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: desigal90

It just seems kinda counterintuitive to me.
The law says don't drink and drive because it impairs balance, perception, reflexes.
But alcohol also impairs judgment. And decision to drive drunk or to find a friend to designate to drive you is a judgement you make in a state when theoretically your judgement is impaired.

I find it so much more similar to punishing a minor because their judgement is not mature yet/impaired. In a state of intoxication, I would think that even a responsible adult would make the same mistakes a minor makes. 

I guess that's why to me, when it comes to punishment, I think the intent takes precedent over the end matter. 
Yes, a life was lost. But a life is also lost in an accident. We still say it was an accident.. I didn't mean for it to happen.

From what I've read, most people seem content that Salman is punished because it was the law and nobody should be above the law.
I'm more concerned about the victims, the families involved, and yes, even the accused's intent.
In such cases, my intuition and basal morality says to me...well if you didn't mean for it to happen, you still caused harm. You still caused a life to be lost. Make up for it. Do something about it. Help these people out. 

But I guess I'm not the law. 
Just a rambling mind ðŸ˜†

but the judgment was not impaired when a person drove themselves to a venue and decided to consume alcohol there without making arrangements for a designated driver or take a cab back or catch a ride with someone else, or any such arrangement that would not require operating a motor vehicle.  in that case the person made a judgement, in a non-impaired state of mind, to drink, knowing that they will at some point have to leave the venue, presumably driving themselves back. 
This is the best topic on the case with well presented views (so refreshing compared to other topics).
I quite like the idea of him doing community service instead of going to jail. And I highly doubt the court will ever consider this, but he should have done some form of community service for the homeless. Perhaps started a charity for them to build homeless shelters. It would have been a lot more practical. It would not only provide better living conditions for the homeless, save lives, but it would have shown his inevitable remorse as well. 

At this point in time this is the way I look at him:
Choice 1 - Drinking that night 
Choice 2 -  Drinking until he is completely drunk
Drunken Choice 3 - Despite three people in the car with him, he chose to drive the car with a suspended driving license. 
Drunken Choice 4 - Not listening to Patil's warning
Drunken Choice 5 - Driving rashly (lives in Mumbai he should have been aware of the homeless sleeping on streets)
Drunken Choice 6 - Not helping the injured. Not taking them to hospital. Running away from the scene. 
Choice 7 - Missing court appearances. Running around with the system for 13 years. 

The most common argument, I have noticed, is the man is big hearted and he started Being Human. The accident happened in 2002 and he started Being Human much later. What does Being Human have to do with his actions involving the case? And if Salman's lawyer was going to bring a balance sheet of Being Human in front of the judge. They might as well have done something about the homeless and brought that balance sheet in front of the judge. 

In a way this case is tricky. There is so much that has happened, and he has made way too many mistakes that it is really hard to look at the verdict as unfair. With one accident Salman changed a lot of lives - the person he killed and their family, the four people injured and their families, and even Patil whose only fault was honesty. 
Edited by tennant - 8 years ago
Really interesting responses in this thread. I want to share some of my thoughts as well on this delicate subject. I'm a Salman fan and it's ridiculously stupid to say I'll be neutral when discussing this, but I'll try my best.

First, I'm pretty sure it's a given that Salman is guilty of negligent drunk driving, he killed (not with malicious intent) people. Anyone who says that he did this on purpose is obviously shitting themselves. It was a mistake, simply put.

He got scared and ran away, he didn't know what to do at the time and was scared. Understandable. Some people don't know how to react when things like these happen.

However, I honestly believe that serving 5 years in prison will bear no fruit " at all. Salman fans are threatening to commit suicide if Salman goes to jail, some have even already attempted and are now hospitalized. If Salman does go to jail, imagine if this does happen. Innocent lives will be lost for no reason. And before someone says "well, they're crazy fans and they chose to commit suicide on purpose." So what? They are still people like the ones that were sleeping on the footpath.

Salman has saved more lives, countless, than he has killed. And if he goes to jail for 5 years, he wouldn't get opportunities to contribute to society. A lot of people say that Being Human is all a media gimmick and shouldn't really factor in as the concept was materialized after the incident, but honestly, if we think rationally, where do you think the poor people with heart problems and other diseases would be if Salman wasn't there to help them? Has Salman benefitted people? Yes. Has he helped people to live? Yes. Did he help homeless people to acquire better lives like the ones that were on the pavement? Yes.

A lot of people say that it's common knowledge that one shouldn't drink and drive. Salman knew what he was getting himself into, how drinking impairs the senses and how one shouldn't obviously be driving while having consumed alcohol before. But what about the poor people sleeping on the pavement? Don't you think that they knew what risks they were exposing themselves to whilst sleeping on the sidewalk? There are plenty more places where poor people can sleep, like homeless shelters. I know my argument sounds a lot like Abhijit's argument, but the dude does have a point whether or not we care to admit it.

Now I'm not arguing that Salman shouldn't be given a punishment. He should. But not as harsh as a 5 year imprisonment - perhaps a one year jail sentence with lots and lots of community service and objectives which could be implemented to help the poor.

Because really, it was never in Salman's intentions to kill anyone and he is not a murderer like this forum would love to believe. And does one really think the victims would feel as if they have obtained justice after waiting so long? They themselves have said they want compensation, which I'm sure Salman can provide.

So yeah. Those are my thoughts. Feel free to pick them apart. Meanwhile, I'm going to go hibernate again. inb4 delusional Salman fan. 😆
QueenExpression thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sanju_

I know I am going to get mocked and bashed, but how many of these people who are rejoicing will come forward to donate/help the victims? How many of them actually feel the justice has been served wherein the victims themselves do not equate Salman going to jail to them getting justice? Is Salman going to the jail  the most justified action? I don't really think so...not after all these years!! It is sad but couple of them rejoicing are using humanity aspect to try to hide their hatred for a celebrity! 

It's true no one is above the law and Salman is no exception...he had wronged and he is being punished, but it is also equally true that his case has been aggravated due to his celebrity status and the zealous detractors! To me compensating the victims and Salman being jailed for 2 years would be the best solution in this scenario. I detest people who drink and drive because by doing so, they are risking other innocent people's lives as well, hence, a punishment is a must. However, in this case, Salman serving 5 years of jail term is not the only ideal solution...the most important thing is victims getting the true justice...Anyway Karma bites back and Salman is being bitten as well...in fact, he has been for the longest time, but Karma is not exclusive to celebrities, some members here shouldn't forget this!!! Some of them have shown new lows in bashing Salman and celebrating his conviction, which won't go unnoticed as well!  Some of them really need to understand the difference between homicide and murder and not exchange them interchangeably!!! Anyway all said and done, I hope the best for all the parties involved and hope everyone gets to be at a peaceful state eventually, victims by getting the proper justice and Salman by serving appropriate punishment,

well said...I completely agree. Not most people...but some make it so obvious esp some SRK fans.  I wonder how many people on this forum actually wouldn't shy away from paying someone instead of going to jail. Please! Who on earth would say, No..I would rather go to jail and serve my time.  At least I wouldn't..esp if it was a mistake. Does it make me a bad person? Hello, no. Just a stupid selfish person who wasn't being careful in the first place and was driving under the influence. 

I neither support Salman and his crimes nor am I against him...but like you said...going to jail after so many years doesn't make sense at all. 
Edited by QueenExpression - 8 years ago
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Nice post DG..
First let me say that drunk driving accident is not JUST an accident...The driver always knows its a crime and he can kill/hurt someone...so u can't call it killing without intent...this part is not even debatable for me..

Coming to the point that the criminal should be made to pay instead of doing jail time...I disagree...if a crime warrants a jail time then jail time it has to be...the law should be equal for everyone...So if u let one criminal go because he is rich enough to dole out money to the victim...how will that be fair to another one who is not rich enough??

What will happen if the rich brats think that ..oh I can do anything because I will anyways go and compensate the victim after that...

A victim can always sue the criminal in a civil case after he has been convicted and ask for money...this is how it is done usually...u file another civil case for compensation...it is not necessary to substitute jail time with compensation...they both can be done together..

A law has to look objectively and rely on facts and not emotions...otherwise it will be a big mess...if u let a drunk driver go just because he was drunk and he caused an accident...he didn't mean to...what would you do if a rapist comes up with the same argument...oh I was so drunk that i raped her...I am going to compensate her now...would that be acceptable to anyone of us??

Edited by blue-ice - 8 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I didn't chk all the pages but those ppl who r bashing salman like anything , calling him murderer and what not are actually saying that if that girl had a licence , car had an insurance , was on phone Not drunk, they paid the compensation to the victims so it's ok if that girl got away ? 
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: TheRowdiest

I didn't chk all the pages but those ppl who r bashing salman like anything , calling him murderer and what not are actually saying that if that girl had a licence , car had an insurance , was on phone Not drunk, they paid the compensation to the victims so it's ok if that girl got away ? 

lol...it doesn't happen this way...DG has not put the full details here...may be that girl was exonerated of all charges...

When a crime is committed ...the victims can't come and say that ...we want money and let this person go...its not in the hands of the victims...otherwise a lot of rich people would get away by paying blood money...a crime has to punished...I don't know the details of this girl's case to comment but wikipedia is not really a reliable site to comment on the basis of what is written in there.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: Maseera.

However, I honestly believe that serving 5 years in prison will bear no fruit " at all. Salman fans are threatening to commit suicide if Salman goes to jail, some have even already attempted and are now hospitalized. If Salman does go to jail, imagine if this does happen. Innocent lives will be lost for no reason. And before someone says "well, they're crazy fans and they chose to commit suicide on purpose." So what? They are still people like the ones that were sleeping on the footpath.

Salman has saved more lives, countless, than he has killed. And if he goes to jail for 5 years, he wouldn't get opportunities to contribute to society. A lot of people say that Being Human is all a media gimmick and shouldn't really factor in as the concept was materialized after the incident, but honestly, if we think rationally, where do you think the poor people with heart problems and other diseases would be if Salman wasn't there to help them? Has Salman benefitted people? Yes. Has he helped people to live? Yes. Did he help homeless people to acquire better lives like the ones that were on the pavement? Yes.

A lot of people say that it's common knowledge that one shouldn't drink and drive. Salman knew what he was getting himself into, how drinking impairs the senses and how one shouldn't obviously be driving while having consumed alcohol before. But what about the poor people sleeping on the pavement? Don't you think that they knew what risks they were exposing themselves to whilst sleeping on the sidewalk? There are plenty more places where poor people can sleep, like homeless shelters. I know my argument sounds a lot like Abhijit's argument, but the dude does have a point whether or not we care to admit it.

Some people threatening to commit suicide cannot and should not be used to influence the court of law. It's akin to blackmail. What if tomorrow a terrorist is on trial? His wife, mom, and kid threaten suicide if he's sentenced. Should the court let him go free, just his family can stay alive? Do you see what that will do to society as a whole if there's no punishment for crimes and criminals are allowed to roam free because they were able to blackmail the court? Before you say, it's one case, it's one exception. One exception to come back to set a precedent...for other lawyers to then use to save their future clients. It's not the court's fault that they're trying to commit suicide. It's their own foolishness and they should be sent to a psychologist ASAP for valuing a celebrity who doesn't even know them over their own family and life. 

Salman might not get opportunities to contribute to society himself but his charity will STILL be there. It CAN still help others out. The court isn't putting a cease and desist order on the charity's work or anything like that.  That's how charities work. They don't need the face of the charity there to do the work. I doubt Salman was doing every little thing his charity does himself anyways. His family is still there to run it in his absence if needed and if the charity stops all its works for the time Salman is in jail, then it wasn't a real charity in the first place...and people were right that it was only set up to improve his image and to get him a reduced sentence. I don't understand why Sallu fans believe that if he goes behind bars people won't be helped out. 

As for the last point, obviously the people sleeping on the pavement knew the risks of sleeping there. Do you think they would have slept there if they had a better and safer place to be in for the night? I don't think there are homeless shelters in Mumbai but correct me if I am wrong. I haven't been to there since I was 2. It's NOT their fault they're poor and have nowhere else to be. Salman knew people sleep on footpaths as well. The other thing I want to say, in this case, they were sleeping on the footpath. They could easily have been walking on the footpath, stopped to talk to someone, crossing the road, driving on the road. So now will we say, well they shouldn't have been walking on the footpath aka sidewalk either? They shouldn't be crossing the street? A drunk driver can hit you anywhere and anytime. 

Edited by chocolover89 - 8 years ago