Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by desigal90

Another reason why I think driving intoxicated is the worst decision to make - in the very likely chance that you do something bad like get in an accident, you're in such an effed up state that the subsequent actions will be as irresponsible and stupid.

Bottom line: Don't drink and drive. Coz you may end up paying for a crime you had no intent of committing

But u cant be 365 days intoxicated for 13 years. 

Its not just a alcohol fueld accident.. its a cold blooded strategy tohide the crime. A constable wasthe worst off victimof this incident... and no1 is opening his case. 

I have seen hit-n-run cases in NZ on tv.. a chinese 19 years old killed a Kiwi 10 old boy rash driving and he didnt have licence. The chinese family wanted them to give 50,000 dollars... but the kiwi famiy didnt accept their son's "blood money". They saidlet the court decide.. and we r happy as we can be. My son wont come back.. at least ur son will back some day. 

U know, if it becomes a popular that poor gets killed by rich on the road, and the family will get get millions for to shup up.. therez an very EVIL side of both ways. I can make a movie on that. 18+ of course. Just let mind free and imagine what I m trying to say here. 

Even in child psychology, they teach is that punishment is only effective if delivered immediately.
Right away.
Only then does it achieve its purpose - to lessen the behavior.

Delayed punishment just ends up confusing the one getting published, for he she doesn't feel at that point the association between them as strongly as if the punishment had been delivered right away.

But in Salman's case, punishment was delayed because the perpertrator of the crime used his celebrity status, money, power to evade punishment. He lied through his teeth, avoided court dates, hired bigtime lying lawyers to deny and delay justice.

Hes not a child, he knew exactly what he did and what he was doing to get out of it! So yes, he deserves to go to jail, even if its after 13 years!
Just as Jessica Lall's killer deserved to go to jail after all those years! Justice can be delayed but not denied!
 Money, political influence or celebrity status doesnt give any criminal the right to get out of serving time!

Only IF discussion thread thats worth reading currently๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘..Hope the decorum is maintained here atleast..Thank you desigal for opening this thread..Really liked the way u substantiated ur reasonings ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
The courts are even more negligent if they were influenced with Salman's celebrity status, money, power etc. ๐Ÿ˜† it seems to me that the Indian Judges have a good amount of discretion (even moreso because there's no jury system there). It would possibly only take a couple of motions from the Proesuction and one Order from the judge to conclude the case and take it to sentencing. Let us not ignore how recklessly the Courts have acted in this situation. We are not debating if Salman committed the crime...we are trying to reason for Court's negligence, and so far, I can come up with none.Edited by kitkataha - 8 years ago
Thanks Neela Paani ๐Ÿค—
And to the members who brought in the points that he may have been intoxicated during the incident, but not 13 years post it.

TRUE.
Very true actually. It was Salman in full conscience avoiding the court at that point and delaying the punishment. 

What do you guys feel about punishment for what can be called an "accident" as opposed to manslaughter with intent or a sexual crime?

For instance, Pallavi, you mentioned the many cases in the states where teens get drunk and get into accidents. 
Drunk accidents are even more common on special occasions like New Years, for instances. 

Anyone aware of what the penalty is in the states for drunk driving? 
Edited by desigal90 - 8 years ago

Great take.
But this is why I'm confused. I think texting and driving in many states is against the law, so I'm very surprised by how she was able to wiggle her way out of this.
And now ironically study medicine and become a physician.

I think texting and driving and drinking and driving are pretty similar things.

You don't have to answer these questions at all. I'm just thinking out loud. Was texting and driving illegal at the time she caused the accident? And also how old was she? Was she an adult or legally a minor? I hope that rich father also got her some counseling, and that she at least faced some kind of consequence for the accident on a familial and personal level. But that's between her, her conscience and her family.

I do agree that texting and driving is as bad as drinking an driving.
Yup, she was legal. 
And I read more into it. The case gets more shady. Her page says she refused to take a blood test.

My friend told me that when someone here asked her about it, she kinda shrugged it off saying, she's made mistakes in the past.

Every state has their own laws. Where I am, intoxication manslaughter amounts to 2-20 years in prison; however, probation is also handed out in many cases. The catch though is, you have to serve a minimum of 160 days in prison to be eligible for probation.

Your friend's story is a story of many other people as well. She/he committed a crime without an intent. There's a reason why intoxication manslaughter (among other crimes) is not a strict liablilty crime...primarily because of the intent element required to convict. The States need their own reforms, and I've been in discussions where the idea of "community healings" and different forms of punishments apart from jail time are talked about. It doesn't sound as impractical. While I do agree that some crimes need jail time, there are other crimes for which other ways of punishments could suffice (and we do see that through probation).Edited by kitkataha - 8 years ago

Thanks Neela Paani ๐Ÿค—
And to the members who brought in the points that he may have been intoxicated during the incident, but not 13 years post it.

TRUE.
Very true actually. It was Salman in full conscience avoiding the court at that point and delaying the punishment. 

What do you guys feel about punishment for what can be called an "accident" as opposed to manslaughter with intent or a sexual crime?

For instance, Pallavi, you mentioned the many cases in the states where teens get drunk and get into accidents. 
Drunk accidents are even more common on special occasions like New Years, for instances. 

Accidental death would be if driver lost control of his car due to mechanical failure or loss of his senses and ran over someone, killing him/her.
 In our town there was such a tragic case, a 70 year old guy lost consciousness while driving and his car swerved into the sidewalk killing 2 young girls who were walking in the neighbourhood to sell Girl's Scout cookies. It was really horrible, we all said the old guy shd not have been driving with that health condition but in US even old/ sick people have to drive to get groceries as there is nobody to help them.
That was a really tragic accident.

When teens or adults get drunk and kill other drivers or their own passengers, its called vehicular or intoxicated manslaughter. Its a crime punishable by jail term and community service.

If drunk driving crash doesnt kill anyone then the driver's licence is revoked or suspended depending on his/her blood alcohol content (BAC) and the circumstances of the crash. They are also fined large amounts, sometimes vehicle is impounded. 

Theres a whole page on Wiki...we had to study an entire chapter on DUI, DWI etc before getting drivers licence here. Its hard to remember all those details.๐Ÿ˜†

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_in_the_United_States

Thanks Neela Paani๐Ÿค—

TRUE.

@bold1: If it was truly an accident then I honestly don't know. On the one hand it was an accident and it could have happened to anyone, and the person didn't intentionally do anything wrong (and let me clarify that driving drunk means the person is intentionally putting themselves and others in harm's way). But at the same time, will the victim or their family have closure? Legally though I don't think there can be any criminal charges. Look at Bruce Jenner. Someone was killed in the car crush he was involved in a couple of months ago, and even though it was his fault it was declared an accident so he won't face any criminal charges. The family is thinking of suing him though.

@bold2: I don't know. I think if one gets pulled over for drunk driving then it's suspension of license and probation. It also depends on whether it's first offense or not and the severity of punishment increases based on that. But if you cause an accident then it depends on how bad the accident is and so forth. In the States laws vary a lot from state to state.