Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

I am arrogant about my talent: Ranbir

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 8 years ago

I am arrogant about my talent

Ranbir Kapoor looks past career insecurities, focuses on opportunities, hopes for the better and yes... even talks about marriage and kids

Sneha Mahadevan

Pinning down Ranbir Kapoor for an interview is tough. The makers of Bombay Velvet know this too, and they have taken a whole media contingent from across the country to Goa to promote their upcoming film. It's easy to let your guard down when you're surrounded by the sea and sand at a spa. Read on to discover RK unplugged...

Too much speculation about your shaadi. Let's have it! Are you getting married?

No. And these talks are not coming from me, because I haven't thought of marriage yet. Everybody knows that I am in a committed relationship and I have been in one for many years now. I guess everyone wants to know when the next celebration is because I guess there's more fodder to write or speak about. But, to be honest, I haven't... we haven't really decided about wanting to get married.

Why not speak about it at all? Was it a conscious decision not to?

Yes, because I want to protect my life. Once it's out there and the Pandora's box is open, it's gone. It just doesn't stop. It happened to me with my previous relationship. Yes, a couple of years ago, I was even more guarded about my personal life, but I think I am kind of opening up slowly, so give me that leeway. It's also hard for me to speak about my relationship. People will know when marriage happens. Why would I hide it? It doesn't make sense.

You believe in the institution of marriage?

Of course I do. I believe in family. That really is the next stage of happiness in my life. I am going to have three kids. I have always wanted three kids from a very young age and I've always said that when I become a father, I want three kids...

You're going to Cannes with Katrina?

No, I'm promoting a movie, ya. I'd love to go there, though and take my movie to Cannes. My grandfather had a retrospective there, around five years ago and I missed that. So, I haven't been there. But I think it would be a good experience.

Could you visualise yourself playing Johnny Balraj in Bombay Velvet because Anurag took sometime to be convinced that you could play the role?

No of course, it was a challenge. You have to understand that I get bored playing myself in films like Wake Up Sid, Yeh Jaawani Hai Deewani. There's no sense of challenge. Of course, those are safer films because you know the audience has already accepted me in that genre but when you get a script like BV and that kind of character, it really challenges you.

It kind of excites you. You start putting that scene in your head where you think if you can pull this off. But it's cinema you know... there are so many other people working for me to make this come alive. When you see some material that you like, it's exciting. That's why actors go crazy when there is a script like this because there is so much to it. It did take me time to convince Anurag.

How important is it that this film works for you?

Every film of mine is important to me. My last film Besharam didn't work at all. So what happens is with Rockstar, Barfi! and Yeh Jaawani Hai Deewani, your stocks go up, and then it plummets back down and then the audience starts doubting your choices. That's a constant struggle that every actor goes through and I am prepared for that. I have to work hard with Bombay Velvet, Tamasha and Jagga Jasoos and it's high time I take that step forward. I have been in this industry now for about eight years, I have had around 12 releases, so now it's time to change things. Either increase my fan base or do something which can also excite an audience when they see my movies. I haven't hit a plateau and that's why I am doing the films that excite me and push my boundaries along with challenging me as an actor.

Your father saw Bombay Velvet. What did he have to say about it?

My father is extra-critical of me and it's not because he is trying to be difficult, but it's because he doesn't want me to become over-confident by saying things like You are superb', so I can just put my feet on the table and rest. He wants to keep me grounded and I am extremely grateful for that energy in life because he is one energy that keeps me going and gives me a good reality check and that's why I want to keep doing better in life. Yes, he liked the film, he liked the world it created and how we went about it. But to be honest, I still haven't got a clear idea about what he thought of the film. I am in the midst of promotions, so I haven't really spent that much time with him. In a couple of days, I shall know better, hopefully.

Not worried about not having a single release last year?

Of course, that little bit of insecurity seeps in, But to be honest, I am quite arrogant about my talent and the kind of people I am working with. I still have opportunities to prove myself. I think the audience is not that turned off by me yet, unless I continuously give them bad films and bad performances. So, I am still hoping that with the kind of directors I am working with, I think I can sustain myself and do better.

Regret any choices you made, film-wise?

I have no regrets. Even my first film, Saawariya, which was a disaster, made me who I am. That towel song that I was ridiculed about so much, that's also where my popularity started. Even Besharam. It made me understand that you can't take your audience for granted. Just because you are making a masala film with four dialogues and a song and some action sequences, the audience will not lap it up. The big, commercial blockbusters that Shah Rukh, Salman, Aamir and Akshay Kumar all do, there's a lot of thought behind it. There is a body of work these actors have and have dedicated fanbases. I haven't reached there and it was a very important understanding that I got that I have a long way to go before people can accept me in anything I do. It's important I build that trust with them and I think for the next 10 years, that's exactly what I am going to do.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Lol I only care about Chintu Papa. Ranbir is boring as usual. -_- 

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6
RK's interviews are getting boring...😡

rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Nice interview..I especially loved what he said about Besharam..Din't disown the film/ diss the genre & actually said he has a long way to go before he can reach there..And surprisingly, i loved his answer about Rishi too..Like other times, you actually don see any resentment/ bitterness there..
P.S. He has actually acknowledged his relationship for all practical purposes without any official declarations..There goes my hopes πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜†
His interviews are always boring. This statement though is an old one, he has said this before.
Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Loved loved loved this interview! he is so well spoken and honest, his answers were amazing.
Loved what he stated about his previous films, current films, about his personal life and about himself!
swati82 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
He's still boring...but he does know what he's talking about when it comes to his films and his current standing as an actor/star
Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6
lets see what Tamasha promotions brings...since its going to be Tamasha written all over in the promotions with W*F statements...🀣
Three kids πŸ˜† Yeah, keep your wife busy while you're chasing skirts. 
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
And these talks are not coming from me, because I haven't thought of marriage yet. 
Lmao big slap to Katty and her PR πŸ˜†