Salman Khan's conviction and imprisonment for it or not? - Page 2

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by K.Universe.

1. All for it.

2. About damn time!

3. Strictly speaking, there is no justice or recompense for the victims of any crime. But this punishment might help a few to place faith in law.

P.S: Read Abhijeet's tweets. I will wait for the day he comes under a wheel, himself. I have patience.

😆 on the the bold you are waiting to see him suffer under the law himself, I don't know Abhijeet too well, but I gather from what you said that he is no angel and has been a naughty boy too. But his tweets he was the one saying they shouldn't be people sleeping on the pavement, well where can they go really? If no housing is provided for them by govt friends and family when they are in hard times? 
Originally posted by 9tanki

Law system in India is a joke. If it takes 13 year to convict in lower court then how much more time will it take for the final verdict till it reaches supreme court. Sanjay dutt case was dragged for 20 years and then Supreme court gave verdict for 5 year jail of which 18 month he already spent in jail. Being celebrity or politician gives them flexibility to mold law as per their convenience. 

Salman has been doing great charity work for last 5 year, and thats why he didnt get 10+ imprisonment verdict. 

The person who died name is still not known but his Baigum sheikh was telling media she hasnt received any help. 

Its good to see celebrity coming in support of Salman, I wished they had shown same support to the victim family.

These high profile case are highlighting to us that justice is taking a long time as it goes through the various lower and higher court system, But I'm sure even in the west which also has this system would have started proceedings then in 2002 (for Salman's case) but most definitely a verdict would have been reached by 2003, at the latest, in the lower court and if it was then appealed to a higher court final verdict in Supreme court would have been reached much earlier then what has happened here. 

You know I highlighted that in the BBC article above that it seems the reason why he has this huge support from the community is because of his good deeds and charities, but when did it all start? Could it be it's a calculated thing he has done in order to show a reformation to his character and then get a reduced sentence? Now we hear on appeal to the high court the sentence is suspended completely so no jail time at all, it seems the delay in reaching a verdict has worked in his favour and I just wonder skeptically that perhaps the justice system which we all think was fair 2 days ago when the verdict was first given, but isn't, like they put the wool over the eyes of the watchers of this case. 

I have assumed the victim had no family, as no media has covered anything about them at all right, so I assumed he had no-one (neither friends or family). He was homeless does that mean he was not even working, if that's the case what value did he have to anyone? 

Salman Khans 5 year sentence is suspended by Bombay High Court.

I never knew celebrities had special privilages before the law 

well his intention was not to kill anyone, accidents happen all the time. He has been remorseful since the accident and has helped 1000s of people with his own money.

There are people vouching for his goodness.

Moreover there are 100s of politicians who are responsible for killings, loot all nations money and never seem regretful at all. Compared to them he is saint, so putting him in the jail is not going to be fair.

What took 13 years was undone in two days. Not many could have afforded the defense lawyer, Harish Salve's  fees of Rs 30 lakh a day . Ravindra Patil the constable, assigned as Salman's bodyguard in 2002 when the actor  had complained of getting underworld threats  had been the prime witness and under a lot of pressure to withdraw his statement . He had stated that it was a drunk Salman who had been driving the SUV that killed one and injured several others that night. . Patil  was later arrested and locked in Arthur Road jail  for not appearing in court.  He also lost his job and died a beggar . Wont be surprised if the lawyers somehow "prove" that Salman hadnt been driving at all! Is that what the actor's much touted  "being Human" was all  about?   

http://www.hindustantimes.com/analysis/was-justice-served-common-man-s-verdict-in-salman-khan-case/article1-1345162.aspx Edited by _Angie_ - 8 years ago
It wasn;t just an accident. He was repeatedly told by the assigned constable about drunk driving and high speed. He RAN away after the incident, didn't even think of reporting it to the police or hospital. His intend was to hide.
What goodness? The fans who don't know him personally or the charity front he put up because he has money. So a rich guy can do anything and then have a charity to cover it all up.

He has perjured repeatedly. Messed with law, tried delaying tactics, has no remorse- hasn;t even accepted the mistake. 

He is a criminal and unfortunately he has a resources to cover it. 
This debate is over before even got  started 😆  cause no one disagree that he shouldn't be  convicted 😆
Problem with this court verdict is that, it will be used an example in other court verdict and everyone who runs over people will be freed. What a great judgement 👏 
Originally posted by _Angie_

What took 13 years was undone in two days. Not many could have afforded the defense lawyer, Harish Salve's  fees of Rs 30 lakh a day . Ravindra Patil the constable, assigned as Salman's bodyguard in 2002 when the actor  had complained of getting underworld threats  had been the prime witness and under a lot of pressure to withdraw his statement . He had stated that it was a drunk Salman who had been driving the SUV that killed one and injured several others that night. . Patil  was later arrested and locked in Arthur Road jail  for not appearing in court.  He also lost his job and died a beggar . Wont be surprised if the lawyers somehow "prove" that Salman hadnt been driving at all! Is that what the actor's much touted  "being Human" was all  about?   

http://www.hindustantimes.com/analysis/was-justice-served-common-man-s-verdict-in-salman-khan-case/article1-1345162.aspx

I am equally skeptical, I think this reformation and all the being human, good deeds and charity, is perhaps a calculated cause of action to help him in this case, he knew it would come this day, so he cleaned up his act and worked hard to go out of his way to help others so they could all testify to his good character. So the witness ex constable Ravindra Patil was probably bribed not to appear in court and was imprisoned for not testifying to collaborate his earlier statement, the bribe also didn't last as he died a beggar, why he didn't go back to Salman for more money? 

Its a shame that after 13 years of work, its all unravelled in 2 days for the justice system. I feel the courts also were helping him the lower court taking so long to give him time to clean up his act and do his charity, we can't put it down to the fact they have too many cases, it seems like they wanted to help him clean up his act and reform without going to prison again. 

But saying all these things I still feel when you kill someone by accident drunk or not that person's life you've taken has to have some value, and I keep asking this to everyone on here but no-one has tried to answer it, but I will say it again, I feel if the homeless guy had no-one to turn to, no friends or family to keep him during his bad times for him to turn his life around, no job, he had no dependents to provide for, what value did he have to society?

The law says Salman should be prosecuted but if we think of the victim what was he to society? What was his contribution presently or his future prospects?
Originally posted by LovelyPlanet

well his intention was not to kill anyone, accidents happen all the time. He has been remorseful since the accident and has helped 1000s of people with his own money.

There are people vouching for his goodness.

Moreover there are 100s of politicians who are responsible for killings, loot all nations money and never seem regretful at all. Compared to them he is saint, so putting him in the jail is not going to be fair.

Thank you for your contribution, I agree that they is a culture of parliamentarians being murderers, thieves, and showing no remorse and the fact they are legislators has made them immune from prosecution whilst actors seem easy pickings for prosecution. The Bollywood celebrities only have their money to use to fight back and on the face of it no power to stop being dragged through the court system, but what we see on the face it and what has happened in this case its like hoodwinking the public with the way they overturned the verdict of the lower court and the length of time to improve his image as well. But point taken too many legislators are getting away with murder, graft and robbery.