Salman Khan's conviction and imprisonment for it or not?

-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 8 years ago
Well its all over in the media, Salman has been convicted of the 2002 hit and run case where he killed a homeless guy, and his been sentenced to 5 years imprisonment.
He served time before, again 5 years on separate charges, this is a different case altogether. 

So what does everyone think about this case?

1. Justice served at last 13 years later? I don't think its a case where he is saying it wasn't him, he admitted he was driving his car and was drunk too, so he hasn't excused himself, rather accepted the blame. So he must have entered a guilty plea.

2. But it took 13 years for the judge to give his verdict, why did the judge take so long? Did he hope for Salman to pay off the person that brought the charges on Salman, like witnesses, or Salman to make up an excuse it wasn't me driving and plead not guilty?

3. Being as the guy was homeless I'm assuming he had no-one to turn to, no family to stay on their sofa or floor whilst he got his life together, so who is mourning him? Can that be excusable that he wasn't an earning member of society? the homeless guy had no family so his life had little value? Or the homeless guy still had a value to society, if so what exactly? 

Edited by .Verity. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Why are Bollywood stars defending a killer?

After a Bollywood star was sentenced to five years in jail for killing a homeless man with his car, why did other Bollywood celebrities leap to defend him?

Late one September night, Salman Khan's car ploughed into a bakery and ran into five people sleeping in the street - killing one homeless man. In the 13 years since, he's protested his innocence, but on Wednesday a judge found him guilty of culpable homicide and sent him to jail for five years.

The actor's name soon became one of the biggest topics trending on social media. Many were pleased that justice was done in the case, but several prominent Twitter users in fact defended the Bollywood star. Abhijeet, a famous singer, : "footpath r not meant 4 sleeping, not driver's or alcohol's fault."

Farah Khan Ali, a jewellery designer married to a star DJ who has more than 650,000 Twitter followers, commented along the same lines: "No one should be sleeping on the road or footpath. It is dangerous to do that just like it is dangerous to cross tracks."

There was a fierce reaction to these and other celebrity comments online. "I will drive over your loved ones!" tweeted Pooja Sinha Roy. "Let's see how u feel about that!" After hundreds of other critical comments, Farah Khan Ali defended herself: "I never said that Salman was faultless. I said 5 yrs is very harsh punishment ... Salman is genuinely a very good human being and he made a mistake."

Salman Khan arrives in court on Wednesday 6 May 2015Khan arriving in court on Wednesday

Malini Agarwal, a celebrity blogger who goes by the name MissMalini, says that while some were supporting the actor just to get attention (the hashtag #WeLoveSalmanKhan has about 1,000 tweets) many of Khan's defenders are also his friends.

"People who know Salman have said that he's generous and has a huge heart. I believe that's true. But sadly that doesn't change what he did 13 years ago," she says. Agarwal also points to the length of the case - the incident happened in 2002 - and says Khan's reputation has been somewhat rehabilitated in the meantime. (this I've highlighted in red ink I felt this is the reason why people are defending him he helps people into bollywood and personally also helps them away from the industry like Dia Mirza's case above so he has changed or been rehabilitated from his hay day of when he cared for no-one or anybody).

"He seems to have become a changed man - he's not as brash as he used to be, and he hasn't really gotten into any serious trouble for a long time," Agarwal says, noting that the star set up a foundation, Being Human, which supports health care and education programmes for the poor.

Some commentators stressed that they weren't condoning the crime. Bollywood star Dia Mirza, who has appeared on screen with Khan, said: "He is the man that saved my Mothers life" - and quickly followed up by saying: "My previous tweet was NOT a comment on the proceedings of the verdict. It was an emotional confession of a grateful friend." Actress Alia Bhatt commented: "It hurts when your own are punished, even if they are in the wrong. We love you and are standing by you".

Agarwal says the verdict prompted mixed reactions across the country. "Personally, I had mixed feelings when I heard the news of the verdict, because it's been so long and I'm a fan like so many others but if you commit the crime you have to do the time." she says. "But frankly it's unfortunate that in our country this happens so often. We've become desensitised to poverty, corruption and crime. So it feels a little hollow that so many other crimes go unpunished and now there's a media circus about this one. But I suppose that at least in this case there was a verdict, even if it did happen 13 years later."

source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32609927

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Verity.

Salman Khan's conviction and imprisonment for it or not?

1. All for it.

2. About damn time!

3. Strictly speaking, there is no justice or recompense for the victims of any crime. But this punishment might help a few to place faith in law.

P.S: Read Abhijeet's tweets. I will wait for the day he comes under a wheel, himself. I have patience.
Originally posted by: .Verity.

So what does everyone think about this case?

1. Justice served at last 13 years later?

2. But it took 13 years for the judge to give his verdict, why did the judge take so long? Did he hope for Salman to pay off the person that brought the charges on Salman, like witnesses, or Salman to make up an excuse it wasn't me driving and plead not guilty?

3. Being as the guy was homeless I'm assuming he had no-one to turn to, no family to stay on their sofa or floor whilst he got his life together, so who is mourning him? Can that be excusable that he wasn't an earning member of society? the homeless guy had no family so his life had little value? Or the homeless guy still had a value to society, if so what exactly? 

Law system in India is a joke. If it takes 13 year to convict in lower court then how much more time will it take for the final verdict till it reaches supreme court. Sanjay dutt case was dragged for 20 years and then Supreme court gave verdict for 5 year jail of which 18 month he already spent in jail. Being celebrity or politician gives them flexibility to mold law as per their convenience.

Salman has been doing great charity work for last 5 year, and thats why he didnt get 10+ imprisonment verdict. The person who died name is still not known but his Baigum sheikh was telling media she hasnt received any help. 

Its good to see celebrity coming in support of Salman, I wished they had shown same support to the victim family.
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Finally someone pays for his crime!👏
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This is a high profile case and dragged on for too long.
Frankly I like Sallu, hope the sentence can be reduced for good behavior. 13 years ago when the crime was committed he was a different person and since then has changed for the better.
In a few Muslim countries like Malaysia, Indonesia or the Middle-eastern countries many can get away with murder. The richer ones even if convicted have lots of privileges like being allowed to walk in and out of so called "Jail".
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Why did the judge take 13 years? There are innumerous pending cases in our judiciary. Salman's wasn't the only case. Our judicial system is burdened by much more serious cases.

For it or not? I'm really indifferent. These criminal cases and all are just so unfortunate in anyone's lives. There's nothing to be happy about. It's sad that your fellow humans commit crimes at others' expense.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Justice delayed is no justice...It take Judiciary 13 years to decide whether Salman Khan was driving the vehicle or not.. astonishing!!...Feel like different sets of laws, law for poor common man is more severe whereas laws for filthy rich is flexible and adjustable...😕
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Why did the judge take 13 years? There are innumerous pending cases in our judiciary. Salman's wasn't the only case. Our judicial system is burdened by much more serious cases.

For it or not? I'm really indifferent. These criminal cases and all are just so unfortunate in anyone's lives. There's nothing to be happy about. It's sad that your fellow humans commit crimes at others' expense.

Lawyers know how to take advantage of the system and drag matters forever.
I wont be surprised if they another loop hole to get him out soon.

alizey89 thumbnail
🤢 🤢 Edited by alizey89 - 8 years ago