Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pallavi25 thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: desigal90

Even those conservatives I"ll give some benefit of doubt to, because for the most part, the U.S has programs that help people out. Education is theoretically free until High School. If someone was determined, it is possible to get out of poverty. Not easy, but possible. Not to mention the amount of financial aid available for college.
Compare that to India and Pakistan. If you're born poor, you'll probably remain poor by the one simple fact that DECENT education costs money.
There are no laws against child labor. Families employ young kids in manual labor or begging to scavenge more money. It's a vicious cycle and very FEW break out of it! How do you move up the ladder when the first step itself is so damn high? Education is your key to life. 

My Afghan friend here in California has 5 siblings. Parents don't speak a word of English and recent immigrants. She and her two younger siblings all went to a really great undergrad school and now are on their way or becoming engineers. In the US, there's a lot of value in being a self made man. It's all about work your way up, or work by the boot straps and achieve the American dream. 

But in desi culture, it's all about family wealth. Shaadi ke time, what does your father do, what did you GRAND father do. Lineage.
It's so damn pathetic. 

In that sense, I think the states have a better value system than the one our desis foster.

Republicans are trying their best to cut down funding for the schools, cut funds for free lunch programs, for medical care for the poor, they HAVE already cut funds in many states and trying to cut more. 

"Working your way up, pulling yourself up by ur bootstraps" are very easy things to say and do when you are young, healthy and able to work...but what abt the disabled? What abt the injured veterans of war? 
What abt old impoverished people who have no kids to look after them? I have seen 70 yr old men and women who can barely stand, working minimum wage jobs at Walmart. They live a life of genteel poverty till they die from lack of medical care. 
Healthcare is so damn expensive here, poor people cannot even think of it, and even middle class people can barely afford doctors fees and medicines!

At least in India, medical care is much much cheaper than in the West.

US is a much more expensive country to live than India.
 In India and many Asian countries u can still get a decent meal for less than a dollar. You can still get clothing and basic shelter for much less.

Yes, there are many more government shelters, food stamps and other programs for the poor in the West. But I have seen homeless people sleeping on the street in NYC...my friend has seen poor folks looking for food in the garbage cans in Harlem. 
Western countries are not exactly perfect or Utopian societies. But at least the government does try to do something for the people.

Of course poverty is much more widespread in India and other South Asian countries!

Poverty there IS a vicious cycle! Poor rural folks prefer to have more kids so they can help out in the farms. 
When crops fail due to drought, these people move to cities in droves to earn money as daily wage laborers or domestic workers. 
They dont have places to live or sleep, just earn bare minimum to fill their stomach. They somehow survive in those big cities... which they wont be able to in the villages they come from. 

They are forced to sleep on the footpaths as they have nowhere else to rest their tired bodies at night.

Rich guys in their killing vehicles drink and drive over these poor people...those guys are reckless, heartless, callous, inhuman and shd be punished for ALL the LAWS they are breaking.

The pavement dwellers are not just collateral damage. They are human beings too and deserve to get justice! 

desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: pallavi25

Republicans are trying their best to cut down funding for the schools, cut funds for free lunch programs, for medical care for the poor, they HAVE already cut funds in many states and trying to cut more. 

"Working your way up, pulling yourself up by ur bootstraps" are very easy things to say and do when you are young, healthy and able to work...but what abt the disabled? What abt the injured veterans of war? 
What abt old impoverished people who have no kids to look after them? I have seen 70 yr old men and women who can barely stand, working minimum wage jobs at Walmart. They live a life of genteel poverty till they die from lack of medical care. 
Healthcare is so damn expensive here, poor people cannot even think of it, and even middle class people can barely afford doctors fees and medicines!

At least in India, medical care is much much cheaper than in the West.

Cut down funding for schools...at least there ARE schools for free.
Cut down funding for free lunches. At least there's something CALLED FREE LUNCHES that exist for children who are from underprivileged backgrounds. 

Is there free schooling in India and Pakistan PERIOD?  

I mean sure, we can get nitty gritty and nit pick the US apart because of conservative republicans, but honestly compared to other countries, its' FAR AHEAD. I mean you're talking about the marginalized groups in the US...well in India and Pakistan, the majority is under poverty line! Allah jaane what is happening to disable in Pakistan and India if we're complaining about war veterans and disabled in the states.

An old man on minimum wage can at least feed himself SOMETHING. A $1 burger from McDonalds may not be the healthiest and they're probably malnutrition, but compare that to the HOARDS for families in the slums of India and Pakistan drinking dirty water and not having eaten for days.

While I understand that every country has its evils, I've lived on both sides of the equation. I've lived in Pakistan and yes I've seen the impoverished parts of the states as well.

Let me tell you. You're more likely to EAT in the US than in Pakistan and India. Where you'll probably die on the streets of hunger and diseases. You say you can afford a meal in Asian countries for less than a dollar...but they don't earn dollars there. That' easy to say for us because we earn in dollars. Do you know what the poor earn compared to the food prices in Pakistan and India? Compared to that, the food is actually quite expensive in those places.

At least in the U.S. from minimum wage, you can eat something. You won't go completely hungry. 

For the sake of argument compare able bodied kids, ok? Coz we can start delving into specifics and marginalized groups and yada yada but every country has enough shadows there.

13 year old able bodied poor kid in the US vs Pakistan/India..ok?

Lets take a 13 year old Latino male in the ghettos of LA. Are circumstances hard? yes. Very. He has distractions, probably violence around him. Drug history. 
But is it POSSIBLE for him to go to school? Yes. If he wanted, had the will power, could he graduate? Difficult but theoretically possible. 

Let's take a 13 year old Pakistani boy from a poor family on the streets. 
Can he go to school? NO.
He can't. He physically literally theoretically can't. Coz DECENT education in those countries cost money and families don't have money. That kid is actually stuck in a much more difficult life style than the 13 year old poor kid in the States.

In that case, I'd say the US is better.
I've even seen mentally disabled workers working at one of the fast food joints in the mall. I mean, come on...how amazing is that? 
My uncle was jobless for 7 years. But the government support was enough for him to feed his family and keep them under a roof. Mashallah, now he's doing well again.

We came from NOTHING when we moved to the states. My dad found a mattress on the streets and we put sheets on it and slept on that in an empty apartment our first few months as a family.
But my brother and I went to school. Because we could. Because nothing could stop us. Things were hard for my dad, but for his children, the education as equal as the next kid. I think that's pretty amazing. 

I agree with your stance on medical care though. 
Edited by desigal90 - 8 years ago
-CalmChor- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sanjana4Rajeev

Did you guys saw Arnab's show today?! The way he was ripping Abhijeet off at his Newshour?! ðŸ¤£ His facial expression was worth watching!!🤣

Arnab ki bhi toh li hain Hindustan ki janta ne pisle ek mahine se 😆
-CalmChor- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Essay writing competition chaloo hai ðŸ˜†
pallavi25 thumbnail

Cut down funding for free lunches. At least there is SOMETHING called FREE LUNCH. You know where that is in Pakistan and India? Rarely.

What about disabled in India and Pakistan? 

I mean sure, we can get nitty gritty and nit pick the US apart because of conservative republicans, but honestly compared to other countries, its' FAR AHEAD.

An old man on minimum wage can at least feed himself SOMETHING. A $1 burger from McDonalds may not be the healthiest and they're probably malnutrition, but compare that to the HOARDS for families in the slums of India and Pakistan drinking dirty water and not having eaten for days.

While I understand that every country has its evils, I've lived on both sides of the equation. I've lived in Pakistan and yes I've seen the impoverished parts of the states as well.

Let me tell you. You're more likely to EAT in the US than in Pakistan and India. Where you'll probably die on the streets of hunger and diseases. 

For the sake of argument compare able bodied kids, ok? Coz we can start delving into specifics and marginalized groups and yada yada but every country has enough shadows there.

Lets take a 13 year old Latino male in the ghettos of LA. Are circumstances hard? yes. Very. He has distractions, probably violence around him. Drug history. 
But is it POSSIBLE for him to go to school? Yes. If he wanted, had the will power, could he graduate? Difficult but theoretically possible. 

Can he go to school? NO.
He can't. He physically literally theoretically can't. Coz DECENT education in those countries cost money and families don't have money. That kid is actually stuck in a much more difficult life style than the 13 year old poor kid in the States.

I've even seen mentally disabled workers working at one of the fast food joints in the mall. I mean, come on...how amazing is that? 
My uncle was jobless for 7 years. But the government support was enough for him to feed his family and keep them under a roof. Mashallah, now he's doing well again.

We came from NOTHING when we moved to the states. My dad found a mattress on the streets and we put sheets on it and slept on that in an empty apartment our first few months as a family.
But my brother and I went to school. Because we could. Because nothing could stop us. Things were hard for my dad, but for his children, the education as equal as the next kid. I think that's pretty amazing. 

I agree with medical care though. 

Have you ever lived in India? I dont think so, right? Please dont talk in ignorance! 

There had been government schools in India (FREE schools) even 20 yrs ago when I lived there. They were called corporation schools in cities and government schools in towns and villages.
Now that program is much more widespread! I personally know an NGO lady originally from US who works with rural education programs in India. 

I also watch Indian news here on desi TV...they DO have school lunch programs, especially in villages where kids are more enthused to attend school by the added benefit of receiving free lunches.

Parents who would otherwise not send their kids do send them to school mainly for the free lunches..

Disabled people and senior citizens nowadays actually get a lot of benefits from Indian government.

There are special schools for disabled kids! 
Senior citizens get discounted train tickets and other various benefits.

As for McD burger, a $1 burger certainly does not fill an empty stomach for the whole day...but a roadside meal in an Indian city will cost abt 40-50 rupees and be nutritious AND filling!

I am not talking out of the air, I have close family in India and visit India every year!

Im not saying the system there is perfect but at least the govt is trying...there are free schools for poor kids in most places and also poor people can buy cheap basic food from ration shops at subsidized rates.

ChannaMereya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Cut down funding for free lunches. At least there's something CALLED FREE LUNCHES that exist for children who are from underprivileged backgrounds. 

I mean sure, we can get nitty gritty and nit pick the US apart because of conservative republicans, but honestly compared to other countries, its' FAR AHEAD. I mean you're talking about the marginalized groups in the US...well in India and Pakistan, the majority is under poverty line! Allah jaane what is happening to disable in Pakistan and India if we're complaining about war veterans and disabled in the states.

Let me tell you. You're more likely to EAT in the US than in Pakistan and India. Where you'll probably die on the streets of hunger and diseases. You say you can afford a meal in Asian countries for less than a dollar...but they don't earn dollars there. That' easy to say for us because we earn in dollars. Do you know what the poor earn compared to the food prices in Pakistan and India? Compared to that, the food is actually quite expensive in those places.

At least in the U.S. from minimum wage, you can eat something. You won't go completely hungry. 

Can he go to school? NO.

I agree with your stance on medical care though. 

Talk  about  people  who  have  no  idea  about  a  nation.India  has  free  school  education  uptill  14  it  has  been  made  a  right.Free  midday  meal  program  for  under  nourished  kids  and  scholarship  for  higher  education .Free  education  till  graduation  to  talented  kids.
Pls  if  u  have  no  idea  about  country  atleast google.India  social  security  program  are  world wide  recognised.
To  put  America  up  the  NRI  brigade  just  dont  care  about  facts 
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I was saying India and Pakistan in general. Good for India if true, but not true for Pakistan. Schooling is not free. And if you notice the example I used, I said PAKISTANI 13 year old. 

Also scholarships are different. Scholarships are rewarded based on academic achievements or if you get into certain schools.

In the states, you get financial aid regardless of academic performance if you fall below a certain line. 
I got set amount of financial aid and I didn't do anything great. My friend basically studied free, coz her dad couldn't afford it. All her siblings did.
You're getting into the social programs India offers vs the States.
I'm just saying that there's LESS poverty in the States. I mean come on...I hope that's a given right? Also a relatively better standard of living for the MAJORITY. I know developed parts of India and Pakistan are on par. But there the slums that you cannot ignore. 

Look this is pointless.
My point was poverty is unfortunate wherever it is, because someone made a comment about how people on the streets are "lazy".
Only reason this even came up was because a member brought in how conservative republicans blame poverty similar to the most insensitive comment on this thread about people on sidewalks being killed. 

Edited by desigal90 - 8 years ago