LivingInPajamas thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

OS| Strangers

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2csnXq0zV7I[/YOUTUBE]

The shadows under her eyes were a testimony to the long nights she had spent awake, in the past months. The colour of her cheeks had faded and so had the glimmer in her eyes. No one could remember the last time Khushi had truly smiled, that smile which went right up to her eyes. Khushi, the name she had always personified, was buried deep beneath the debris of books and notes piled up in her room. Ma and Bauji had been supportive, but watching their daughter slogging off so hard had made them helpless.

They wanted to tell her to slow down, to relax, to breathe. But she never gave them a chance.

She didn't budge, she couldn't or rather wouldn't. Her persistence refused to cower down, until today.

The tears welling up in her eyes spoke of a story which is not mentioned often. The not qualified' on the screen in front of her had got her guts drawn up into tight knots. She kept looking again and again, probably in denial. She refreshed the page, trying to ignore the not'. But there it was, in big bold red letters.

Her heart sank, somewhere from where she was not sure if it would be able to resurface again. The tears now appeared willingly, they soaked her cheeks, disappearing before finishing their trail.

Manchala..mann chala teri ore

Manchala.. mann chala teri ore

Khamoshiyon ki sooraton mein

Dhoondhe tera shor

Dhoondhe tera shor

She didn't have it in her to tell Ma and Bauji. Her legs seemed to be stuck , they refused to get up and go out and have her face her parents.

The money they had spent so willingly on her education, the aarti they had done every morning for her success. Every tiny moment haunted her.

What had she done wrong? Now the long hours in the library didn't seem to make sense. Nor did the nights she had stayed awake, with a cup of chai. She shut down the laptop, dejected , her fingers trembling against the surface of her study table, tracing the scars present on  it, repeatedly. The tears truly came down now, willingly, unrestricted, free and naked.

Arnav Singh Raizada had faced the worst day of his life today. His business plummeting down towards disaster, this was the first time failure had struck him, cut him apart. His seething temper had withdrawn into a mould of ignorance.

Kabhi gardishon ka maara

Kabhi khwahishon se haara

Roothe chaand ka hai chakor

Zara se bhi samjhote se

Yeh parhez rakhta hai kyun

Maane na kabhi koi zor

At twenty five, he had come to know that his father had committed suicide because his mother had eloped with another man.

Was this not reason enough?

Oh how beautifully they portrayed tragedy in classics and literature. And how difficult it truly was in reality. His mind had lost balance, completely. Nothing made sense anymore. Not the scores of medals and certificates on his shelves, nor the beautiful infrastructure of AR designs.

He unbuttoned the top buttons of his shirt, the jacket coming off and gathering into crumpled folds in his arms.

He squeezed his eyes shut, walking into the library, through the side door , which few had known of, even in his college days. He was more than surprised to see that a tiny sliver of light glowed in the eerily silent hall. He walked cautiously, through the corridors lined with bookshelves, peering over the books to make out who it was.

Duniya jahaan ki bandishon ki

Yeh kahaan parwaah kare

Jab kheenche teri dor

Kheenche teri dor

And then he heard it, a loud bang, as if someone was throwing a book on the floor. 

As if.

He told himself he was hallucinating, when it came again, the loud bang. He now swiftly paced across the aisle and came across a sight which he probably wouldn't forget ever in his life.

She stood in the midst of a pile of books she had thrown on the floor of the library, her hair a wild mess, her eyes sunken. Arnav was caught in her for a tiny moment before she picked up a huge encyclopaedia and he rushed up to her, clutching at her hands.

"What is wrong with you? Have you gone completely crazy?!" He shouted, the voice booming, echoing back from the books. She shuddered, looking up at him with those big eyes she had and collapsed into him. 

Arnav was shocked, he let the book he had snatched from her hands slip down to the ground. She leaned against him, completely, as if about to faint. He supported her, cradling her head in his arms, almost frightened.

Was she hurt? Should he call the ambulance? Had she taken something?

His mind raced and his fingers were reaching out to his mobile when she opened her eyes. She immediately drew back from him, disturbed to find herself in the arms of a stranger. And for the first time that year, Khushi Kumari Gupta shouted, in her characteristic Delhi girl ways.

"Who the hell do you think you are, holding me like that? You dare come near me, or I will..." she looked around helplessly, "or I will.." she picked up a large dictionary and targeted him.

He stood silent, arms folded. And Arnav didn't know how or why but he gave a very tiny smile, infuriating her.

She looked at him, confused and then at the dictionary in her hands.

"WHAT?" she snapped.

"In your state, I wouldn't have been so confident about self defence." He calmly replied, picking up the books on the floor and placing them back in the shelves. She stared at him, before joining him.

Her hands trembled as they picked up the books, brushing them slightly against his. He looked at her, with an expression of something slightly more than just a stranger's curiosity.

That day, Khushi did something which was weird, unexplainable and completely out of the blue. Something which had no place in her rational world.

She hugged him, she put her head against that of a stranger whom she didn't even know and who could have probably taken advantage of her and what not. He was apprehensive, he didn't even know what to do. But the girl crying in his arms at that moment, saved Mr Raizada from ruining his life. In an unexplainable way.

Rookhi-sookhi dil ki hai zameen

Jaane kahaan gum hui nami

Meri ummeed hai teri baarishein

Ye sahe kayi baar pyaar ke

Tujhe har baar haar ke

Seekhe phir bhi kabhi nahi saazishein

The crystal decorations glimmered in the background as she walked on the damp grass, removing her extremely uncomfortable footwear abandoned somewhere in the middle. In a few hours, she would get married here, this was where her old friends, her loved ones would be gathered to celebrate her new life.

Khushi could not explain how happy, how beautifully, gloriously happy she felt right now. As she looked up at the evening sky, whose reddish hue put up the fairy lights to shame, her eyes remembered that dark night as a haze.

It seemed so far away, that day when everything was like a roller-coaster going downhill.

"Miss Gupta, may I have a last dance?"

He cleared his throat, his eyebrows gearing up in that peak which she so adored.

"Last?" her questioning glance made him eye her face which he had first seen at its worst. He remembered thinking how beautiful she would look when she was happy. And he was right.

"Last, before you become Mrs Raizada." he winked, playfully, an arm bringing her closer to him while the other weaving through her fingers. She put up that wow you are so funny' face and continued to let him lead the steps.

As they danced on the wet grass, both of them barefoot, their minds reeling back to that night and this, thinking of contrasts, of the weird ways of life and of finding love, in times when you couldn't have possibly imagined.

Tere liye aaj khud se hi bhaage hain

Himmat ke tukde bator

Ho bhaage zamaane se

Chhup ke dabe paanv jaise koi chor

Jaise koi chor...

Khamoshiyon ki sooraton mein

Dhoondhe tera shor

Dhoondhe tera shor

Khushi, had finally qualified'.

A/N- Hey everyone!Not sure if anyone does know or remember me here, but I was previously 'Risha_ipkknd' and 'Amethyst.' I have come here after probably two years and well..let's just say, I am at one of the worst phases of my life. And I always feel like writing when I am the happiest and when I am at my worst. So here it is!

About the OS, I don't know. I know it seemed a bit strange , different and vague. But I would still like to garner reactions. Haven't written for quite a while now, so just trying out my hands again. 

If you want to read better and happier things, you can always have a look here 😆 - My Index

-Risha

PS- I know the song lyrics don't quite go with all of this. But the tune of the song and the entire atmosphere it generates is very beautiful.

[/MEMBERSONLY]

Edited by LivingInPajamas - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
awesome one shot. I love it. 
ChitraF thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Welcome back :)  miss your writings.. Beautiful shot as always..
faffy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Beautifully and creatively penned!!!

Wishing you the very best and hope you overcome your troubles, very soon!!

Aish002 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
nice OS...i think I have read some of ur prev works..hoping u move on to happier times n ven u r at the happiest...keep writing more...😊 Edited by Aish002 - 8 years ago
bmtdluver thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
It was an interesting os. The "not qualified" always take away a huge chunk of self confidence. One things, am I not good enough? What did I do wrong? But most of the time, there is no answer. You just have to believe that you are good enough (better even). I can totally understand Khushi's frustration in the library.

I hope you come out of your bad phase soon.
jessjazz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Very interesting how you have conveyed two different timings.
the_breeze thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
This was beautiful! You manage to convey so much with such brevity! Kudos to you for that! No many writers can accomplish that with such ease... 👏
Coming to the OS, the part about Khushi failing to qualify was very relatable. All of us at some point or the other in our lives have faced rejection. Many a times people loose themselves totally when that happens unable to face their family, friends and the world in general. It was so heart breaking to read about Khushi's feelings and her thoughts. But I am so glad that you showed her handling it in this manner. I was worried that it might go the suicide way. *shudders* But it was great of you to show her STRONGER than that. 

Arnav has his own demons to fight. It was difficult to read about his issues. But you made him NORMAL and HUMAN. More often than not, ASR is shown invincible and strong and a hot-shot businessman with a different set of problems, but to see him so normal and ordinary was a refreshing change! 

Love your work! 

Coming to the part about this being "the worst phase of your life", take it from someone who has had to put life on hold because of a rare and complicated disease, IT GETS BETTER. You just gotta have faith. And hang in there. I got better now, am NORMAL again! So you see, please have faith and tell yourself daily that you are getting stronger each day and everything will be alright. 

Please don't think am preaching. I just wanted you to know that I empathise. 
stg1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 3 Thumbnail
lovely os ❤️  i really liked the idea behind it, how even at ur worst and darkest phase there may be some light for u, that salvation can come in any form and shape and things can and do get better 😃 

i remember u, loved reading some of ur fun posts. i really hope things get better for u soon and this phase of ur life becomes a distance memory 😊
Anu567 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Beautiful story, Risha and welcome back...quite often in this world it is strangers who keep us going, give us the kindness and impetus needed to do so...well written. And yes, keep doing what you do so well...write...remember, this too shall pass...as in the worst phases...life is so relative...

Best,