Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

PIKU Reviews and Boxoffice collections (Page 47)

Sultan_Of_Swing IF-Sizzlerz
Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged
Here goes my review-

Piku is an intimate portrayal of a father & daughter relationship and the world they live in. To a certain extent Piku almost feels voyueristic, its like a camera was fitted into the lives of Bhaskor & Piku and the audience get a peek into their maddening life. 

Piku is frightening real. Most members of the audience can relate to many things that happen in the movie. Also the setting is as real as it gets. The characters look & feel real. There is nothing dramatic about Piku, its a slice of life kind of movie.

In terms of performances, every single actor fits & performs their role to T. Irfan is awesome, he does the dry sarcasm bits really well. Deepika has come leaps & bound to deliver a truly award winning performance. She delivers most of her performance in this movie using her body language and eyes. While I don't expect Deepika to stop acting in commercial movies like HNY, I really do hope that she can cut down on her PR related shenanigans. She is getting a lot of praise & goodwill from Piku, and she must use this to focus in her work as an actor. Also, she seems better fitted for everyday woman kind of roles, glamour roles & items songs are just not her forte

A special shout out to Moushmi Chatterjee whose bickering with Bhaskar was hilarious. 

But the movie really does belong to Mr Bachchan, who once again delivers a stupendous performance with his portrayal of Bhaskor. Big B has proved that when it comes to acting he is the 'Baap of em all.' His accent does seem a bit over the top, but sometimes its okay to take certain creative liberties to make a role more enjoyable.

But to me the movie is a testament of 2 people- Sircar and Juhi Chaturvedi. There is absolutely no conflict or  dramatics in Piku's script. To make an engaging & entertaining script out of mundane life requires special talent. 

The movie has fantastic repeat value. When the promos had come out I have guessed that the movie would appeal to the older generation and my guess turned out right. There were a lot of middle aged to older people in the cinema I went to on saturday. 

I predict that Piku will have a decent run at the box office until the release of TWMR as the target audience for Bombay Velvet is very different from that of Piku.

Well done Team Piku to show that a fantastic movie doesn't have to be dark, gritty, it can be something as simple as everyday life.

Edited by Sultan_Of_Swing - 11 May 2015 at 1:15am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveeTwinkie_StarColdplayingBasiliskdelightful.Beautyful_MessNestleToulouse

Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:31am | IP Logged
This is a good interview from DP.
http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/interview-after-piku-i-feel-i-have-started-valuing-my-parents-a-lot-more-deepika-padukone-2084801

Loved this bit especially.

Ever since Cocktail, you have received both critical and commercial acclaim for all your films. Does that instil more confidence in you to try out something as different as a Finding  Fanny or a Piku?

I have seen a little bit of both in my career. I started off with an amazing debut but then had a string of films that flopped. Post Cocktail, everything has again started going upwards. But I don't take anything for granted either way. Does it give me confidence? Yes, a little bit. I don't think I would have done a Finding Fanny if this was not the case. But it also depends on where the audience is right now and the kind of films they watch and the scripts that are being written and the fact that many directors are ready to make such films. So it's a combination of a lot of things. It's not about where I am right now, it's about a lot of other factors.

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveePharma3welcomebroburnedlacePigBenis..TooLazy..Vedika211Twinkie_Starkawal_tak..NeverGiveUp..Hermione..DestroyedInLoveBasilisk-MariaMars-NestleToulousedelightful.

Kamala05 IF-Sizzlerz
Kamala05
Kamala05

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged
I think the people lives in western countries welcomed PIKU without any hesitation cause they have a broader perspective and when it comes to the ailment related to constipation, they are open to discuss without any hesitation.
After watching the trailer, a good percentage of People in India (including me) were like what to watch in Piku, even in the trailer the main topic of discussion is constipation and potty, yikes.  But my opinion changed after watching the movie and I believe lots of members who disliked the trailer changed their opinion after watching. PIKU is a proof that for making a good movie a controversial subject, usual love story, revenge story is not necessary, a good movie is possible, even if the subject of the movie is trivial, the main prerequisite is a well executed screenplay and the efficient crew members and the actors who are ready to give up their star image.
AB Sr was amazing as usual and Irfan with the comparatively small screen space excelled in his role. What amazed me is Deepika's unbelievable growth as an actress. I disliked her in OSO and I considered her as just a showpiece till cocktail, but wow what a change. I really appreciate her willingness to experiment with roles and to be a part of a risky move like PIKU. She was living as PIKU, not a single instance of over the top act, never felt that she is a top movie

Shoojit Sircar, yet again proved that he is indeed a Bengali  a maestro from the state of Sathyajit Ray.

I believe the film can face the challenge of big budget movies which are going t release in next week.

Edited by ramyarn - 11 May 2015 at 1:39am

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveewelcomebroburnedlace..TooLazy..Vedika211..NeverGiveUp..Hermione..BasiliskDestroyedInLove-MariaMars-Sultan_Of_SwingNestleToulouseBeautyful_Messdelightful.

Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:52am | IP Logged

#Piku more than doubled its Fri collections on Sunday! Haven't seen such a trend since years! Historic! @SnehaRajani @deepikapadukone

A film that doesnt follow the trappings of commercial films n still does well, it's good news 4 everyone. Good reviews+BO is possible #Piku

And that's the point of stardom. Use it to push films which are beyond the usual norms and still get the audience. Great @deepikapadukone

Edited by Sultan_Of_Swing - 11 May 2015 at 1:53am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveeVedika211Coldplaying..NeverGiveUp..Hermione..kawal_takBasilisk-MariaMars-

Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:55am | IP Logged
Posted by: Swetha Dandapani  Categories: Cinema 

Piku (2015)

Cast: Deepika Padukone, Amitabh Bachchan and Irrfan Khan

Director: Shoojit Sircar

Piku is a refreshing movie about a 30-something architect who balances her personal life whilst taking care of her hypochondriac father. Directed by Shoojit Sircar, the movie portrays an interesting take on the daughter-father relationship. While I wish the full time domestic help was treated more equally in the film, this is a movie that captures human relationships the way they are in real life.

Spoiler Alert

If you have not watched the movie, there will be important plot points that are discussed here.

1. Piku is sexually active, but she is not committed to any serious relationship. And, no one (including her family and friends) judges her for that.
  2. Bhakor Banerjee (Piku's father) constantly encourages her and the women around him to think beyond marriage. He wants them to be independent individuals, not servile people who "serve men."
  3. Piku's masi (maternal aunt) casually asks her if she is having sex. No strings attached.
  4. Family conversations are all-inclusive. Women take part in discussions about property and everyone expresses their opinion.
  5. Sex does not necessarily mean relationship. And the people who Piku dates know it.
  6. Piku makes a male friend with whom the movie does not explore any romance.
  7. The onus of caring for parents is not just a son's job. A daughter can do it equally well.
  8. There are other female characters who are not just two-dimensional stereotypes. They have a role to play in moving the story forward. Chhobi masi is very comfortable with her multiple marriages and the choice she made to give attention to her own needs.
  9. Relationships between family members are not unrealistically saccharine. Elders are not always right and children speak up when something is wrong. Also, Piku has her own life beyond caring for her father.
  10. There are family members who are of the opinion that marriage is important. However, no one thrusts them on Piku. She is allowed to choose for herself.
  11. Bhakor da is a septuagenarian who needs care and support, and he constantly talks about women's liberation. He always did and continues to do so.
  12. Piku is independent in every way and does quite well at her job. She does not try to please anyone including her clients. She is unapologetic about being emphatic. So, are the people around her.
  13. Death is not horribly sad or devastating. People accept, move on and lead their own lives with dignity.

Featured Image Credit: A still from the movie

http://feminisminindia.com/piku-review-13-things-we-like-about-piku/

Edited by Sultan_Of_Swing - 11 May 2015 at 1:55am

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveespsharmilaburnedlace..TooLazy..Iceflames..NeverGiveUp..Hermione..-Piku--MariaMars-Basiliskdelightful.NestleToulouse

-Piku- IF-Sizzlerz
-Piku-
-Piku-

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:24am | IP Logged

Posting this from my recent seen movie

Watched Piku on Friday 

Amazing movie on a topic most people would not discuss but many homes these kind of conversations are very common and thats what I loved the most about the movie.
The whole cast has done a phemomenal role in the movie.

Big B as a Bengali old man WOW his bengali pronunciations made it so real.

Deepika padukone flawless and superb.

Irfan Khan a perfect choice and amazing. 

Even the other minor characters, the dialogues, one liners everything done to perfection.

This is undoubtedly the best Bollywood movie of 2015 until now. It will make you laugh so much and also you ll feel the relationships and the emotions with Piku. 

Applauds to Shoojit Sarcar for making this movie 

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

neeveeTwinkie_Star..TooLazy..Hermione..Coldplayingkawal_tak..NeverGiveUp..DestroyedInLoveBasilisk-MariaMars-Sultan_Of_SwingNestleToulouseBeautyful_Messdelightful.

Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:13am | IP Logged

Rs5cr on Day 1. Rs11cr on Day 3. This is what the oft-repeated/abused term "Word Of Mouth" really means. This is how good films work. #Piku

the star producer director.. @ShoojitSircar and @ronnielahiri .. thank you for PIKU

Embedded image permalink

i could rant on about PIKU till kingdom come.. however the sheer magic of @SrBachchan @deepikapadukone and @irrfan_k is beyond good..

All credit of success of #Piku goes to @SnehaRajani who was backing the project with 100% sure shot confidence so congrats to her.

Edited by Sultan_Of_Swing - 11 May 2015 at 3:17am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

neevee..NeverGiveUp..kawal_takBasiliskdelightful.Beautyful_Mess

Sultan_Of_Swing
Sultan_Of_Swing

Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:15am | IP Logged
Why was the movie released only in 1300 screens. A friends of mine lives in Pondicherry and apparently the movie hasn't released over there.
Does anyone understand the economics behind screen count?

Go to top