PIKU Reviews and Boxoffice collections - Page 18

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by .Hajmola.

Looks like the third of the panauti trio will also give a 4 or 5 star.
matlab gayi bhains pani mein ðŸ˜†
The reviews are glowing. Proud of DP the reviews on her are amazing and she held her own against established actors like big B and Irfan
Congrats to team Piku and for DP for picking such a role and movie. Hope she continues doing that
I can't watch this film sadly too busy with School and reality. I want to watch it for DP. 
Real review by real critic KRK
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEuynuES60&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
Originally posted by slumgod..

edited
I thought this was review thrd..😕 Edited by realitybites - 8 years ago

Rajeev Masand's Review

Piku

Rating: 4

May 08, 2015

Cast: Amitabh Bachchan, Irrfan Khan, Deepika Padukone, Moushmi Chatterjee, Jisshu Sengupta, Raghuvir Yadav, Balendra Singh

Director: Shoojit Sircar

One hardly expects to be rewarded with warmth and genuine sweetness from a film about a cantankerous old man and his exasperated grown-up daughter who spend most of their time arguing about his bowel movements. But Piku, directed by Shoojit Sircar, is a charming, unpredictable comedy that - like Sircar's Vicky Donor - mines humor from the unlikeliest of places.

Deepika Padukone is Piku, a successful architect struggling to manage both her career and the responsibility of her 70-year-old father Bhashkor Banerjee (Amitabh Bachchan), who can be quite the handful. The cranky Bengali senior is a hypochondriac, and also happens to be perpetually constipated. His motions, or lack thereof, are the subject of virtually every conversation in their Chittaranjan Park home. He's obsessed with details of the color, the texture, the size, and the consistency of his poop, which he insists on sharing with his daughter even when she's at work or out on a date. Bachchan is pretty terrific as Bhashkor, who reminds you of that oddball uncle that you nevertheless have a soft spot for. He bickers with the maids, harrows his hapless helper, and expects that Piku stay unmarried so she can attend to him. At one point, to ward off a possible suitor, he casually mentions that his daughter isn't a virgin; that she's financially independent and sexually independent too. Bachchan embraces the character's many idiosyncrasies, never once slipping into caricature while all along delivering big laughs thanks to his spot-on comic timing. Also bringing his best game to the film is Irrfan Khan as Rana Chowdhary, the owner of a private taxi company who volunteers to drive Piku and her father all the way from Delhi to Kolkata when the old man insists on visiting his ancestral home. The film takes the shape of a road-trip movie from this point on, and it's Khan - applying his trademark dry humor - who gets some of the best moments here. Amused by Bhashkor's fixation on his tummy issues, Rana explains the merits of squatting on a Western-style toilet, and in another hilarious scene draws out the entire digestive route of food for a fascinated Bhashkor. But it's with the character of Piku that writer Juhi Chaturvedi pushes the envelope farthest, giving us a fully flesh-and-blood modern woman. Unembarrassed to admit she has sexual needs, unafraid to pursue a casual relationship with a colleague, and never shy of snapping back at her patience-testing father, Piku is a refreshing character in the movies, and Padukone plays her without a hint of artifice. It's a performance that never feels like a performance; she's that good in the film. Into this richly layered script, Chaturvedi sneaks pertinent questions about ageing, the shifting dynamics of responsibility between parent and offspring, and the line between duty and sacrifice. Sircar keeps a breezy, light-hearted tone throughout, infusing a hint of humor even in the decidedly emotional bits. He surrounds his leads with strong supporting players (including a feisty Moushmi Chatterjee as Piku's thrice-divorced aunt), and shoots relatively long conversation scenes in a manner that feels real and honest and unaffected. I'm going with four out of five for Piku. Although obsessed with all the wrong body parts, it's a film that's full of heart.

Originally posted by .Hajmola.

Looks like the third of the panauti trio will also give a 4 or 5 star.

Yeah Masand has given Piku 4 but he gave Fanny 3
😊
Rajeev rarely gives a film more than 3.5
Great going... eager to watch the film
Cast
Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone, Irrfan, Moushumi Chatterji, Raghubir Yadav, Jisshu Sengupta
Director
Shoojit Sircar
Plot
Piku (Deepika Padukone) is a twenty-something single lady living with her 70-year-old father, Bhaskor Banerji aka Baba (Amitabh Bachchan), in CR Park in Delhi. Baba spends most of his time worried sick over his constipation woes and the fear of falling ill and dying.

Piku is a rare gem of a film. It deals with two of our nation's favourite topics - family and bowel movements. It gives an inside peek into a moment in the life of a Bengali family living in CR park in Delhi. The moment happens to be a 
journey. The family comprises of a beautiful, successful, stressed urban daughter, her hypochondriac, ageing father and their loyal servant. The family and the relationship is supposedly eccentric, or that's what the publicity would have you believe, but I recognised so much of me and my family in it (a Punjabi version). And this is what makes Piku perfection. It's mad, angst ridden, touchy, full of love, joy and totally dysfunctional - as all real families I know are.

Shoojit Sircar has a super keen eye. He doesn't miss a thing in this film. He delivers over-the-top potty humour, served with nuanced subtlety. You will laugh loudly and just as suddenly burst into tears. Everyone talks over each other, as real people are wont to, and yet not a single word goes unheard or is unnecessary. There is constant movement in every frame, everyone is getting on with whatever they are doing rather than waiting to finish or speak a line. Everything that makes up a film - from art direction, dialogues, casting of extras, cinematography, music, make up, costume, locations, lighting and acting is so faultless that you stop looking and just watch, enjoyably.

Something amazing has happened to Deepika, and this 2.0 version can play just about anything convincingly. She has blossomed into an incredible actor and has never looked more beautiful. Her Piku is moody, stressed, rude, caring and so very real. Piku reminded me of me or my sister or any of us power women who spin so many plates in the air simultaneously, and it never seems enough. We work ambitiously, look after our babies and/or parents, run a home, beg our maids to stay, let our hair down, have fun, have sex, search for peace and are highly irritable at the best of times. Deepika, you conveyed all that and then some.

Piku's father played by Mr. Bachchan is wonderfully cantankerous, lovingly dyspeptic, highly arrogant and so very endearing. Apart from his obsession with the colour, texture, amount and frequency of his potty, he is intently focused on dissuading any prospective male interest in his daughter by telling them all about her sex life and her short fuse. His accent, his body language, his character choices and his ability to lose his superstar persona all convince you further why he in the one the only.

Irrfan as always doesn't need dialogues to convey exactly what his character intends. His one expression can contain pages of subtext. He's funny, curious and fits in hysterically as the outsider who can't get over how this family can always bring it back to the bowel!

Each actor cast as the extended family, the domestic help, the friends is on the same page of subtle brilliance.  

The only problem with Piku was that it ended. Yet it ended just like the rest of the film - in perfection. You felt full, satiated and still willing to squeeze in one more delicious bite if offered. I can't think of a reason to take even half a star away. 5 stars.

Just go see it now. And take me along again and again.

Raja and Mihir also gave a 4 isnt it? Edited by .Hajmola. - 8 years ago