Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Piku- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago
Yes 100 crores looks far because of less screens may be.
But it will run in Cinemas for a long time.

But my heart wishes for 100 crores coz it will be a different record then
Edited by abhigya24 - 8 years ago
SASSZS thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I went to watch Piku for a second time. I had a smile yet again coming out of the theatre. I barely managed to get the ticket, which says alot. I almost thought I'll end up having to watch BV because it was only 30% occupied, whereas Piku was almost 85% booked. But thank my stars I managed to get atleast front seats. I am totally in love with DeePIKU. She is stealing hearts quietly and steadily. Hope she stays away from that crappy PR of hers and let her work do the talking, because her talent itself is enough to make her likeable. I am also falling for Irfan and DeePIKU's subtle chemistry.  Hope they do another film together. ðŸ˜³
Ruthless.Slayer thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Way to go deepu 🥳 Such a lovely film.
--Pro.vo.King-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Book Marked ..

Congrats team PIKU for glowing critical & commercial success ! ðŸ¥³
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Piku Has Good First Week
Friday 15 May 2015 11.30 IST
Box Office India Trade Network
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services?

Piku did well in its first week grossing around 40 crore nett. the film had a poor start but gained momentum from Saturday and has maintained very well in the metros. the other major cities have also maintained well but the collections here are on the lower side. Cities like Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore are set to give the best collections of the year. 

The performance of these of these cities means that Mumbai, West Bengal and Mysore are the best performers while Rajasthan, CP Berar, CI and Bihar have low numbers although have held very well since on Monday

The film should remain strong in the big cities over the next couple of weeks which should take it to a good lifetime total.

Sultan_Of_Swing thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

#GabbarIsBack and #Piku are both hits!!! @akshaykumar @SrBachchan @deepikapadukone @irrfan_k @ShoojitSircar

T 1865 - A wonderful piece written by Anurag Kashyap's brother in law .. A real 'Hug' for Piku's Dad Last (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sm72o6 

146 words not enuf to describe @deepikapadukone performance in #Piku. Its not acting. Its REAL. Few can produce this level of naturalness.

http://www.koimoi.com/box-office/piku-is-a-very-good-success-gabbar-is-back-is-a-winner-for-akshay-box-office/

Piku Is A Very Good Success, Gabbar Is Back Is A Winner For Akshay | Box Office 

May 15th, 2015 by Joginder Tuteja
  Shares : 963Comments ( 0 )

Shoojit Sircar's Piku has amazed one and all. The film has easily seen the best trending since one can remember and has grown by leaps and bounds with every passing day. For a film to make five times the amount of the opening day over the weekend is something that has never happened before, and Piku managed to do that.

Though there have been films that grew 100% and 200% with every passing day over the weekend, it was over very small numbers on the opening day, which was the case with the likes of two other fantastic films - Queen and Dum Laga Ke Haisha. However, Piku did that after a 5 crore opening day.

Piku' and Gabbar Is Back' movie posters

What made the film's collections count even more was the fact that weekdays were superb too with collections over (or very near) the 4 crore mark right till Thursday. This is a drop of 20% or less when compared to the opening day, which is again superb by all means. Unprecedented indeed, the film has now crossed the 41 crore mark already, hence getting into the Hit zone. The way the film is going, while 60 crore is a given, and hence the Superhit tag, it would be interesting to see how far does it go from this point on.

For Deepika Padukone, this is indeed a huge addition to her repertoire as she has managed to balance out the likes of Happy New Year and Chennai Express with Piku and Finding Fanny. As a matter of fact it would be interesting to see her competition with Ranbir Kapoor this week who is coming with Bombay Velvet. Meanwhile, for Amitabh Bachchan too this is yet another commercial success after Bhoothnath Returns, hence being the only veteran actor to still find audience as a central protagonist or the main lead. As for Irrfan, he has proved once again that he is the man of all seasons, and can make a film his own.

Meanwhile Sunny Leone has suffered her first major commercial disappointment in Kuch Kuch Locha Hai which has not managed to touch even the 4 crore mark. A mega disaster by all means, the film is out of most of the theaters now. Sunny has five more films lined up for release this year and it would be interesting to see how they play from this point on. Hopefully, Kuch Kuch Locha Hai is only an aberration.

As for Gabbar Is Back, the film stayed well on course during the second week as well with over 17 crore coming in. The film did have massive challenge at single screens (especially in Maharashtra where Timepass 2 is doing well) and multiplexes (with Piku ruling the show). Still, the footfalls stayed on to be consistent right through the weekdays, hence resulting in good numbers coming in. The film has now crossed the 77 crore mark and while at multiplexes it would now also be challenged by Bombay Velvet, at the single screens it would continue to find audience in the third week as well. This is yet another success for Akshay Kumar this year and while 88-90 crore is set to be touched, it would be interesting to see how far does it go from there.

Joginder Tuteja tweets @tutejajoginder

Interview with Piku's writer- Juhi Chaturvedi.
http://www.thequint.com/2015/may/14/talking-piku-with-juhi-chaturvedi

Talking Piku' with Juhi Chaturvedi

Mihir Fadnavis
Updated: Today, 9 minutes ago
Juhi Chaturvedi on the sets of Piku

With Vicky Donor and now Piku, writer Juhi Chaturvedi has proved that an offbeat, non-mainstream film can also score both critical acclaim and box office success. Chaturvedi had a chat with Mihir Fadnavis to discuss the origins of the film and the themes enveloping it.

Q: How did the story idea of Piku come about? Did you draw any instances from your own life?
Juhi Chaturvedi:
 During the time of Vicky Donor, Shoojit Sircar and I were casually talking about the fact that given the nuclear family culture of the modern times, the responsibility of taking care of parents is now completely on children. 

I come from a hum apni doctori khud kar lete hein' kind of a family. My grandfather was an interesting person. Very highly educated, but with age, I saw him becoming more and more like a kid. I saw the way my parents dealt with his health issue, sometimes genuine bowel problems, at times simply age related hypochondria. And now for last few years, my father has been living with us and I am dealing with his age and requirements. But having said that, there is a Bhashkor equivalent in every family. 

Juhi Chaturvedi with Amitabh Bachchan on the sets of Piku

Q: The film has so many heavy duty elements, all rendered in lightness and humor - what was the biggest challenge in cracking such a script? And did your advertising background help make this script better in any way?
JC:
 You know people in real life are multi dimensional. No one is a single layer. Lives that we lead aren't uni dimensional either. All the heavy duty elements are present in our lives too, its just that when we are in it, living it, we fail to see the humor in it. And Piku had to be like a hidden camera showing us our own lives. What people are laughing at while seeing Piku, isn't it what they are living at a certain level? Advertising background helped me to an extent that it has taught me to value my words. Every written word, even a throwaway one, must make sense from the story and character's language point of view, and I was watchful of that.

Juhi Chaturvedi with Irrfan Khan on the sets of Piku

Q: It is so rare for a Hindi film to portray women as their real selves. Piku in the film is such a refreshingly strong female character. Why do you think Bollywood constantly continues to fail at this and regress back to the 80's? Is the audience to blame for this as well?
JC:
 I don't think audience can be blamed for the lack of depth or meat in the characters that a film shows. They are not filmmakers. It's our responsibility to constantly feed them with progressive content. Piku is a 2015 film. And I really believe that there are families where daughters have a right to express their opinion, argue, they have freedom to live their lives as they want to and transparency to discuss their desires and dreams openly. I genuinely believe in every word that Bhashkor has spoken about women. I believe Piku's strength is coming from Bhashkor, the extremely educated and progressive environment that he has provided to her. Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Vivekananda, Sarojini Naidu, we were a nation of progressive men and women. I just want to remind people of that.

Shoojit Sircar, Irrfan Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone take a break to pose while shooting for Piku

Q: The father-daughter equation in the film is beautifully liberal. Do you foresee an Indian society in the future where a father is kind of ok with his daughter in a casual sexual relationship? And did you expect any audience backlash for writing such a blasphemous' thing?
JC:
 The number of 60/70 plus elderly people watching the film with their young children in the halls, laughing, crying, applauding in the end shows that there isn't any backlash. Lets look at the bigger point that Bhashkor is trying to make. Marriage is not wrong but without a purpose it's a low IQ  decision. As a father he doesn't want Piku to throw away her identity and self respect in the fire while taking saat pheras. There is some sense in that. He holds women and marriage in a very high regard actually. Why should audience object to that? 

Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan shoot for Piku

Q: Were there any road trip films' that influenced this script?
JC:
 I don't really consume much content. Journey was a small part of the film, a technicality to get them from Delhi to Kolkata. Staying true to the characters was my only focus. Be it at home or on the road.

Q: The father's death in the end was a bittersweet ironic plot point of helping Piku move on. Other than the father's death, did you and Shoojit explore any other resolution of Piku being liberated at the end?
JC:
 I think that death of a parent is an eventuality that we hate to even think of. Just the thought of it can bring tears to ones eyes. But it's a truth that one has to face. It had to be shown in the film. A harsh reality. Only then Bhashkor's efforts of making his daughter so strong would've come out. In her father's absence also, she doesn't throw herself at Rana. The confidence with which she says that itna to prepare kar ke gaye hein baba mujhe' says it all. Piku might not have Bhashkor interfering in her life but will that make Piku a different person, perhaps not. She is going to love by the values that Bhashkor has brought her up with.

Shoojit Sircar, Irrfan Khan, Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone take a selfie on the sets of Piku

Q: The final shot of the film is one of the most unexpected, well balanced and subtle climaxes to have come from the industry. Again, a rarity. Did you have to fight with the studio or the director to maintain the ending
JC:
 Not at all. In fact a big credit goes to Sneha Rajani of Sony to be able see Shoojit's vision. There is a certain temperament of the film and you can not suddenly change that because we are usually used to a definite ending in our films. But then, Piku is more like two hours from someone's life.

Q: Your favourite film writers and directors?
JC:
 Satyjit Ray, Asghar Farhadi, Abbas Kiarostami, Woody Allen, Wong Kar-wai, Anurag Kashyap, Mira Nair, Jhumpa Lahiri - so many - and of course Shoojit Sircar.

Q: What do you plan to do next? And when do we get to see it?
JC:
 For now just some thinking, badminton, running maybe. The new film will happen when it happens.

http://www.exchange4media.com/60032_amul-ceat-snapdeal-parachute-and-others-flock-to-pikus-in-film-integration.html

Amul, Ceat, Snapdeal, Parachute and others flock to Piku's in-film integration

In-film branding has been on upswing in the last few years, and talking about the recent example of Shoojit Sircar directed Piku, starring Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone and Irrfan Khan; more than 15 brands have been placed in the movie. Few of them are Amul, Ceat, Parachute, Snapdeal, Himalayan Water, Priya Gold Snakker, Syska and Senco Gold.

Giving an estimate of the cost for in-film brand integration, Ameya Sule, Senior Director, Entertainment Marketing, Group M ESP said, "There is nothing fixed as such, it depends on the star-cast, studio and the duration of the film. Also the way in which the product is shown, whether it's just the logo or consumption is shown, the range can anywhere be between Rs 15-20 lakhs to a crore. I believe that before any campaign starts, there are certain objectives and when they are met, the money spent is totally justified. Speaking of the two main advantages of film integration they would be, one that it is there for the lifetime. Every time a movie is shown on cable or any other DTH platforms, the brand will enjoy visibility. Secondly, the brand gets to ride on the popularity of the movie, if it has a strong cast and does well on Box office."

One of the major brands featured prominently in the movie is Amul.

According to Haresh Moorjani, Executive Creative Director, FCB Ulka, (the agency who has done the integration for Amul), "Amul has done several film integrations in the past like The Amazing Spiderman', Man of Steel', Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' and in the movie Piku, the brand has a very relevant role to play. The main protagonist is today's young Indian girl, multitasking and doing her best to maintain a balance between home and work.  Helping her cope with her hectic, demanding lifestyle is Amul Milk, the source of energy. The fit is compatible - like Piku, Amul too is modern and progressive while respecting Indian values."

For Snapdeal however, this is the first in-film integration, though the brand has done co-promotions with films earlier. Also, apart from this, the brand has done many in-show integrations with top channels like Star Plus, Zee TV, Fox Life, Nat Geo and NDTV. Commenting on how product integrations help the brands, a Snapdeal spokesperson pointed that relevant integrations help reach out to the right audience, by building the right emotional connection. In Piku, when Deepika buys shoes for the father, played by Amitabh Bachchan, the focus is not merely on a product purchase but the unsaid love of a daughter for the father, expressed through her thoughtful gift to him. And as the film continues, the same pair of shoe becomes Amitabh's favourite shoes, with him wearing the pair throughout their journey from Delhi to Kolkata and even during his final bicycle-ride of freedom. Therefore, the shoes become an integral part of the storyline and their purchase from Snapdeal resonates well with the concept of Dil ki Deal. The integration was managed by the in-house team of Snapdeal and this Piku integration finds maximum resonance among young professionals living in metros. It speaks to their everyday lives, managing the needs of family members with the ease of access and reliability offered by a platform like Snapdeal.

Speaking of how effective is this medium as compared to a TVC; the spokesperson commented that TVCs and integration are varied marketing tools that address different aspects of a brand's message delivery. With its widespread reach, a TVC communicates the message to a larger audience in a succinct and direct manner. Integration on the other hand, builds a relatable world around the brand, woven into a storyline. It can thus, communicate the message and emotion in a subtle, memorable and ultimately, a powerful way.

Actor Irfan Khan, an owner of a taxi service in the film who chooses to drive the duo visits extensively located CEAT SHOPPEs on highways to ensure the air pressure and alignment is fine for a safe journey.  The actor also features in SUV Tyres campaigns for CEAT Tyres and has already been a part of CEAT's campaigns on safety and durability. In the past the brand has been associated with Bollywood movies like Singham Returns' and Dhoom 3'.

Brands like Syska talks about how gadgets help us in our busy lives via their Bluetooth and Power bank range. Himalayan Water talks about the charm of natural living in the middle of our busy lives and PriyaGold Snakker highlights the importance of small and sweet moments in lives. Infact, when the movie is about motion', how can a brand like Kayam Churna stay away; they joined hands with the movie after the trailer was out. Amul, Syska and few others did co-branded TV spots, which were played across News, Music, Sports and other GEC channels to create hype around the movie.

Infact, in one of the scenes, Irfan Khan was seen switching on the TV and then the logo of the Indian Premier League (IPL) flashed on screen.

Commenting on this, Neeraj Vyas, Vyas, Senior EVP and Business Head, Sony MAX and MAX2 said, "IPL was integrated in a very subtle way and it was not done with any intention of plug-in. IPL is an integral part of our network and the presence given was a fleeting one."

Sonal Dabral, Chairman and Chief Creative Officer, DDB Mudra pointed that the brand placements in Piku have been handled very cleverly. When you don't remember, when and how you saw the brand being used in the film, it is called seamless integration! "Advertisers and marketers are constantly looking at smart ways in order to capture the attention and push it down the throat of the audience, while it is also the job of the film-maker to see if the integration will do justice to his movie. One thing I appreciate in Piku is the sensible brand placements, for e.g. Deepika was seen using Parachute, she is also the endorser of the product outside as well. So this kind of connects with movie goers instantly and has a multiplier effect," he cited.

#Piku Fri 5.32 cr, Sat 8.70 cr, Sun 11.20 cr, Mon 4.40 cr, Tue 4.10 cr, Wed 4 cr, Thu 3.70 cr. Total: 41.42 cr. India biz. SUPER!