PIKU Reviews and Boxoffice collections - Page 28

Posted: 8 years ago

Piku Becomes 2015s Biggest International Opener

10th May 2015 By Koimoi.com Team

LINE it!

Piku starring Deepika Padukone in the lead has started off on a good note at the domestic box office. The film has received a lot of praises from the critics and is also enjoying a good positive word of mouth. While the domestic circuits are soaring over the weekend, the film has become the biggest International opener of the year. On its opening day, the film made an international collection of US $770k which is highest for any film that released this year.

Deepika Padukone in a still from movie Piku'

The film has made a business of $210.8k in US and Canada circuits. Approximately, $440kin the UAE-GCC circuit. Also UK and Ireland has been great with a collection of 24.2k. In the ROW circuits, the film pulled off a collection of $82k. While a few cinemas are yet to report, the film is going housefull in Dubai, Singapore and NY where the shows for weekend are sold out.

Edited by Coldplaying - 8 years ago
Originally posted by Coldplaying

Barcelona trashed Bayern, Real Madrid drew Valencia which means the league is in our hands and now this.What a fantastic week for me. Couldn't have asked for anything better. Watching Piku today.. :)

I KNOW IT WAS SUCH A GREAT DAY! We're on our way to the treble! :')

And woohoo go Deepu! She's shaping up to be a wonderfully versatile actress! All the hard work is paying off :)
Edited by ranbirs - 8 years ago
From 5 crore on Friday to 8.5 on Saturday. This is truly amazing. It must have a really good WOM for such a jump to occur. I hope Sunday collections are just as good! I think it will reach 30 crores by the end of the first week. The second week is crucial for though. But am really glad that this movie is paying off for everyone associated with it :)
taran adarsh @taran_adarsh  

While #Piku witnessed EXCELLENT growth on Day 2 in India [final data to be updated soon], the biz more than doubled up in intl markets too.

#Piku is extraordinary in USA-Canada [Fri was $ 210,800] and UAE-GCC [$ 440,000 est]. FANTASTIC!

Taran Adarsh
While #Piku witnessed EXCELLENT growth on Day 2 in India [final data to be updated soon], the biz more than doubled up in intl markets too.

#Piku UK: Fri 24,412, Sat 52,386. Total: 76,798 [ 75.64 lacs]... AUS: Fri A$ 24,878, Sat A$ 53,252. Total: A$ 78,130 [ 39.46 lacs].

#Piku is extraordinary in USA-Canada [Fri was $ 210,800] and UAE-GCC [$ 440,000 est]. FANTASTIC
25-30cr looks possible in overseas. If it collects well in 2nd week. 100 cr gross would be achieveable Edited by Coldplaying - 8 years ago

#Piku biz witnesses MASSIVE growth on Day 2. Fri 5.32 cr, Sat 8.70 cr. Total: 14.02 cr. India biz. Winning hearts. Winning BO.

Thrilled to see a gem like #Piku sprinting faster across the nation. Super-strong word of mouth is translating into super numbers at the BO.

Joginder Tuteja @Tutejajoginder  

#Piku - Lo and behold - This is HUGE surprise jump of the year. Sat collections are min 8.5 cr from Fri 5.2 cr #HasNeverHappenedBefore

Joginder Tuteja @Tutejajoginder  

#Piku: Official collections: Fri - 5.3 cr. Sat: 8.7 cr. Total so far: 14 cr. With min. 10 cr Sun on the card, 24-25 cr weekend is on. Wow!!!

BoxOffice Capsule -#BOCapsule EXCLUSIVE:For people going mad over Saturday nos. of @PikuTheFilm ,Sunday will be huge as there is distinct growth already today
Lovely little movie. A useful tip for people going to watch this in d theatre: go a bit early...the credits roll is a MUST listen...beautiful sarangi/sarod composition. Sets d tone of the film...brilliant work Anupam Roy! πŸ‘πŸΌ

I am falling short of words to describe this beautiful film...it's a film to be felt! Amitabh Bachchan is endearing as the 70 year old cranky man who's too selfish to even pass motion without a critique...afteraal...he is a criticaal persan! His cycle ride in Kolkata is so beautifully captured...I dare anyone to not have tears in their eyes while watching this sequence! 

Deepiku is flawless. She seems so luminous in this film and she's supposed to be a rude, irritable working woman! She makes cleaning fans look cute. To gather proof of Padukone's growth as an actor, just watch that single tear rolling down her lovely cheek as Piku realises she has lost the one person who drove her mad all this while. The teenager watching this movie next to me in the PVR theatre stopped chomping on his tub of popcorn and started crying! After Finding Fanny, this is a measured yet completely natural performance by Padukone. Lovely!

Bhaskor Bannerjee might try all he can to hide the salt in his household but Soojit Sarcar doesn't let the salt or namak of this film, Irrfan, go into hiding! Rana is not an author backed role but Irrfan, with his languid frame and expressive eyes, owns the role and how! BTW how smexy does this man look playing tennis or badminton? Sigh! Irrfan balances the tricky role of outsider/insider with aplomb. His drawing of the intestine which looks like a "question mark" is hilarious! πŸ€£

Also, mention must be made of the subtle bubbling of liking/romance between Piku and Rana. Their chomping conversation over rolls at the ghat is the best romantic scene captured in Hindi cinema since the 'bread pakode ki kasam' scene in BBB, in my humble opinion πŸ˜†

The music, art direction (compare and contrast the elegant classy bungalow interiors of CR Park with Rana's messy flat, complete with a squalling baby)  and the little nuances of characters flow seamlessly. Moushumi Chatterjee is like a lovable squirrel, coming in and going out handing treats...d fact that Bhaskor doesn't like her doesn't seem to deter Piku's fav. aunt from discussing see through nighties worn without a bra! 🀣The convent educated aunt who talks more in her impeccable English than Hindi is another gem. She sacrificed her career and doesn't let anybody forget it, even as she is slicing brinjal! πŸ˜†

The ending is a must watch...I will not spoil it for u guys! Bhaskor and his constipation obsession carries on even when he is not physically present! 

A must watch guys! Take ur parents, grandparents and relish Piku! πŸ˜†

Edited by palingenesis - 8 years ago