Views

Users

Frequent Posters

xroshnix thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: JungFrau

Is juhi chawla in the movie?

No. The name of the writer of the film is Juhi Chaturvedi.
xroshnix thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

CineBlitz @TheCineBlitz  

#Piku and its simplicity winning hearts! @ShoojitSircar take a bow! @deepikapadukone, @SrBachchan @irrfan_k Thank you for the Entertainment

Salilacharya @Salilacharya  

And let the superlatives continue #irrfan is just irrfan ... There is no other like him #Piku ...

And u are simply #genius @deepikapadukone #Piku wow ..

There is genius in a film and it is in evidence in a masterpiece called #piku @SrBachchan u have reminded me of evry #phamily memeber of mine sir

Raghuvendra Singh @raghuvendras  #Piku can not be missed guys! Go and watch it tomorrow in theaters. 

Koel Purie @koelscouch  

#Piku is so delightful simple fun n nuanced. I loved everything abt this wonderful film. Shoojit has such a keen eye.Gets it so right.

Pratishtha Malhotra @PratishthaM  It is a mandatory film to watch this weekend guys and with your parents of course. Go team #Piku @deepikapadukone @SrBachchan @ShoojitSircar
Edited by xroshnix - 8 years ago
Tanmay Bhat @thetanmay

Piku is so good. @writeonj and Sircar are such a good combination.

Mihir Fadnavis @mihirfadnavis

Piku has the best desi film ending I've seen in a long time. The rest of the film is damn good too. Well done Shoojit Sircar

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

This is what our reviewer Pratishtha Malhotra had to say about Piku.
A ray of sunshine in darkness is what I would call this Shoojit Sircar's wonder. Starting with the casting which has been done wonderfully by Jogi, this is a film where after a long time all the characters look and seem their part and the team deserves an applause for this first of all. PIKU is one of those rare films which warms the heart and soothes the soul. Sircar has a way of story -telling where it doesn't seem like you're watching a film but more like you are a part of it, which is an exhilarating experience in itself. You feel love and pain for the characters at the same time which surely is a mark of a genius film maker. Speaking of the phenomenal cast of the film which is a treat to watch, Mr. B has to be the most adorable Bengali you will ever come across and the way he pulls of the character of Bhaskor is just delightful. He is such folklore that there would always be lack of words to describe how alluring he is, even when he is constipated throughout.. (pun intended) as he believes,' Motion se hi emotion hai... Irrfan on the other hand with his quirks hits the note to the tee as the owner of a taxi company who happens to be frustrated with his mother and sister. He is so much at ease while he performs and this is the reason why he is the best actor in this country. When I talk about Deepika, to be able to hold a performance which is so effortless in front of these stalwarts is commendable. She and PIKU are inseparable in the film, so much so that PIKU seems a part of her. She holds fort and does so leaving us mesmerized by the simplicity of her character which is very interesting. This film is surely going to make that place on your DVD shelf which you would cherish years later and smile on the thought of how it made you feel. While most directors strive on drama in their film, Sircar is one of those who even in the most dramatic sequence in his film decides to stay quiet rather than voicing a long monologue and that is what makes this flick a little more closer to the heart. With some gentle music running in the back as the narrative progresses, this is a little wonder in itself. Go watch is with your parents and feel the journey of this coming of age fascinating narrative. 
Originally posted by: .EnCaRnItA.

Mihir Fadnavis @mihirfadnavis

Piku has the best desi film ending I've seen in a long time. The rest of the film is damn good too. Well done Shoojit Sircar

Wow!

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Piku Review: Hrishida Would Have Smiled

13 mins ago
by Subhash K Jha

Come,embrace the quaint disarming world of the patient Piku and her demanding Baba..a world so comfortingly familiar yet so  fresh and vigorous you'd want to take it home with you ..this is as emotionally rich and satisfying as any movie experience can get.Shoojit Sircar again confirms he's among the most invigorating directors of our cinema. Mr Bachchan,Irrfan and Deepika sketch a triumvirate of memorable characters. Exceptional.

Directed by: Shoojit Sircar
Produced by: N.P. Singh, Ronnie Lahiri, Sneha Rajani
Written by: Juhi Chaturvedi
Screenplay by: Juhi Chaturvedi
Starring:  Deepika Padukone, Amitabh Bachchan, Irrfan Khan
Critic's Rating:*****

Movie Review: Could this really be happening? The opening credits feature the long-forgotten sound of the Sarod and Sitar mingling into an excursion into a state of enraptured ecstacy which you thought was dead withHrishikesh Mukherjee.

Pinch me, slap me! Is this really the film that it purports to be? A simple elegant elegiac tale of a hypochondriac over-possessive father and his harassed embittered daughter.Nah! Who makes films about elementary relationships any more? Who, except a filmmaker who isn't afraid to let his characters discuss bowel movements as though it was the most exciting things to mull over in life.

In Piku Shoojit(Vicky Donor , Madras Caf) Sircar brings back a quality in our mainstream cinema that seemed to have gone with the whim.

Gentleness.

There is an innately  gentle quality to the storytelling in Piku , like a breeze on a humid summer night that blows through your hair while you are sleeping on the  rooftop counting the stars.

Speaking of the stars, Shoojit is exceptionally blessed to get the kind of immaculate cast that most directors only dream about. More about that later. Suffice to say at this point that Piku works , as every actor big or small is inured to the director's vision of a world where domesticity is a domain that drives human life forward.

And drive is what Irrfan does with such casual elan that you forget he is in it as a reluctant outsider. By creating a character who can look at the blunt selfishness of a father who won't let his daughter have a life of her own, the script  expands the domestic vista without scattering its precious and fragilemundaneness.

Piku is a film with an exceptionally keen ear and eye. Shoojit, with the help of his writer (JuhiChaturvedi) and a cinematographer(Kamljeet Negi) travels from Delhi to Kolkata(by car, if you please!) without the touristic curiosity of Imtiaz Ali's cinema. There is a charming inevitability to the  shifting locations as the car driven by Mr Desi trots across multi-lane highways  with a silent and efficient inevitability.

No fuss, no frills , Piku's lyricism flows out without  pause for effect.Dinner table conversations in Delhi and Kolkata capture different sounds of the crockery. How does the sound designer do this? And where on earth did composer-singer Anupam Roy find the creative strength to bring back such a homespun sound of music that he injects into the  souls of his characters?

I have to confess that at one point in the narration I thought the sheer weightlessness of the drama would overpower the narrative. A miracle happens to the characters' lives every time they threaten to  crumble under the burden of their ordinariness. They renew themselves through a karmic cycle which the film's narrative holds close to its chest.

Piku is an exceptionally intimate character study.The three principal  characters bare their frailties on camera as though they were part of a reality show that had no cameras. The emotions are raw and unabashed. The three principal actors sink  into their roles like  monks bathing in the holiest water on this side of the Ganga.

Mr Bachchan's eccentric Bangla gentleman's patriarchal car-wreck of a character  who won't let his daughter breathe or breed, could have  easily become a caricature. With extraordinary fluency and vigour Mr Bachchan turns his selfish patriarchal role into an occasion to explore the route' cause of the craggy journey parents take when they become over-dependent on their children.

Deepika's Piku is filled with an implosive anguish that blurts itself  out unannounced when we least expect it.Even when she isn't doing anything on  screen, she makes you look at her. Deepika gets better with every role. Here she imbues her embittered standoffish character with a sense of pride and dignity that no domestic strain"not even a father who obsesses over his bowel movements- can snatch away .

But I'd say it's Irrfan playing the father-daughter's reluctant driver who has the toughest role. Into the story of domestic disharmony he brings a detached bemusement that somehow makes life seem tolerable even beautiful.

In many ways what Irrfan does to the script is what Shoojit's film  attempts to do to the identity of mainstream Hindi cinema. Balancing on the edge of quirkiness,smothered by the sheer ennui of everyday existence, the characters somehow  create a  spatial harmony  for their dreadfully unexciting lives.

This is a world so  comfortingly familiar and yet so fresh and vigorous you  would want to take it home with you. Piku is as emotionally rich and satisfying as any movie experience can get. Shoojit Sircaragain confirms his place among the most invigorating filmmakers we have today. His appetite for nuances is admirable. To cite an example,the way Mr Bachchan's faithful man-Friday sits awkwardly in the car next him is a posture derived straight from a middleclass household.

The actor Balendra who plays the man-Friday or Moushumi Chatterjee who plays Mr Bachchan's firebrand( married-thrice-wouldn't-mind-fourth)  sister-in-law seems to know he or she is part of a journey whose end is known and yet not the least robbed of excitement by the knowledge of mortality.

Come, embrace the quaint disarming world of Piku and her  over-demanding father. If you miss this one you miss a glimpse into lives that live their span without aiming tfor glory.

That's what makes them so glorious.

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
i have to stop reading these superlative reviews now, my expectations will be so high and will be disappointed 
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Mihir liked it. What about the other two of the panauti trio of Mihir, Masand and Raja?
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
If Mihir has liked it, then am sure it'l be good..Cos i usually like most of the films he likes 😆  Damn, looks like Parineeti is gonna really regret letting this go 😆 Edited by rogerrocks - 8 years ago
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I haven't stopped retweeting praises for 2 days now from my DP fanclub...her film has never gotten such unanimous praise ⭐️⭐️👏