Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Salman Khan Hit-and-Run: Verdict Tomorrow, Rs 200 Cr Riding on Actor

Posted: 8 years ago

Salman has been responsible for a minimum of Rs 200 crores of box office business each year

A Session Court in Mumbai will decide on Wednesday if actor Salman Khan is guilty of ramming his SUV into a bakery in 2002, killing one person. Mr Khan is being tried for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and could face upto 10 years in jail if convicted. His lawyers argue that his driver and not he was driving the car when the hit-and-run took place in September 2002. May 6 is to be judgment day not only for the actor but also for the films he is currently making. As one of Bollywood's busiest actors and biggest draws, he is involved in projects extending upto 2017 and at least Rs 200 crores, possibly more, are riding on him.

Mr Khan, 49, has two works-in-progress that will release this year and is juggling shooting schedules for both. He has been filming Bajrangi Bhaijaan, opposite Kareena Kapoor, in Kashmir. Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, with Sonam Kapoor, has been shooting near Rajkot in Gujarat. Both films reunite the actor with filmmakers who have previously directed him in blockbuster movies. Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Kabir Khan directed 2012's Ek Tha Tiger and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo is helmed by Sooraj Barjatya, maker of the actor's breakthrough film Maine Pyar Kiya. (Also Read - Salman Khan Hit-and-Run: Verdict on May 6, Actor Says he Wasn't Driving )

Trade analyst Komal Nahta told news agency PTI a while ago that Rs 200 crores are riding on the actor. "If you take Rs 75 crore each for these two films, it comes to a total of Rs 150 crore. And then if you add another Rs 50 crore for the projects that he has signed, it comes to Rs 200 crore. There is some amount of tension but the actor has the option to further appeal his case," Mr Nahta said.

It's safe to expect that both Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Prem Ratan Dhan Payowill make at least Rs 100 crores each, not only because the actor-director calculus has previously paid rich dividends but also because every Salman Khan film since 2010's Dabangg has earned more than Rs 100 crores. Last year, he starred in his top grossing film Kick, which raked in Rs 231.85 nett. His other 2014 film. Jai Ho, also scraped past the Rs 100 crore mark. 2012's Ek Tha Tiger and Dabangg 2 made about Rs 200 crores and Rs 157 crores nett respectively. In 2011, Mr Khan delivered Rs 200 crores nett with Bodyguard, co-starring Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Kareena, and Rs 113 crores nett with Ready.

This means that except for 2013 when he had no releases, Salman Khan has delivered at least two blockbusters every year since 2011 and has been responsible for a minimum of Rs 200 crores of box office business each year. A Bollywood insider says, "Salman Khan remains a big draw for the industry because of the return on investment that his films promise."

Apart from Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo which are already filming, Mr Khan is also reported to be making sequels to three films. Part two of 2005 hit No Entry, called No Entry Mein Entry, is believed to be in the works. A sequel to his most profitable film Kick is also being planned. A third instalment of Dabangg was also reported to be coming up but Arbaaz Khan, the actor's brother and director of Dabangg 2, has said this might take a year or two. Salman Khan is also believed to be playing the lead in the delayed Karan Johar production Shuddhi.

This makes Salman Khan one of Bollywood's busiest actors, and the reason why the industry will be holding its breath for the verdict.
Edited by .EnCaRnItA. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheJake thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
They don't need to be worried. Tomorrow Salman will get his 'Freedom'. 
ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
I hope they don't delay the verdict any further and justice is served..
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
All I want to say is I hope that justice gets served - justice wins. 14 years ke baad hi sahi. Better late than never.

If guilty, he deserves punishment.
If not guilty, freedom.

Whatever the case, truth should win.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. My thoughts and prayers are with Salman's family too because it's not easy being a dad, mom, brother, sister, etc and seeing your kin /family member go through this. But justice has been denied for too long now.Edited by Cutiepie Rani - 8 years ago
Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Make this Sticky one !!!

Kal bohat dhamaal hone wala hai..
jibber-jabber thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hope justice is delivered to the victims and their families. Better late than never.

Actor Salman Khan asked to be present in court by 11:15 am tomorrow #SalmanVerdict

ibelieveinpink thumbnail
He's gonna be set free, no way justice prevailing tomorrow. After botching this case up so much I don't see the victims getting justice. 
I'd be surprised if they do sentence him and if he actually ends up serving. 

Also, I don't like how this article is basically saying that so much money rides on him. It's like he should get a free pass b/c he's successful or something. 
Edited by ibelieveinpink - 8 years ago
What has 200 cr got to do with verdict, the producers knew there's a court case going on while signing Salman ðŸ¤ª Hope justice is served tomorrow, though chances are minuscule and even if the verdict goes against him, he can appeal in the high court. 
TheJake thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: ibelieveinpink

He's gonna be set free, no way justice prevailing tomorrow. After botching this case up so much I don't see the victims getting justice. 

I'd be surprised if they do sentence him and if he actually ends up serving. 

Also, I don't like how this article is basically saying that so much money rides on him. It's like he should get a free pass b/c he's successful or something. 

But it's true. That's what gonna happen anyway. The article's telling the truth for a change.