Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swati82 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

OK, by the same token if Gunday and Kill Dill didn't hurt Ranveer why would Brothers or K&S or possibly Intouchables hurt Sid? Yes I know you weren't part of the Sid discussion but I'm still using this opportunity to make a point 😆.

Yea we are all hopeful for our favorites. Besides, Bollywood is a big enough place and a busy enough place where there will be work for everyone.

As long as Brothers and K&S work well at the box office and sid manages to give a solid performance it shouldn't really hurt him. Although i think what also saved Ranveer was that despite Kill Dill tanking he has a DDD and BM to back it up. It's mainly because sid's films are from the same ph is why he gets the criticism. If intouchables was produced by someone other than kjo don't think he would receive any backlash
IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
@ rogerrocks, I think the only person Rohit Shetty movie has really helped is Deepika. It catapulted her to a new level, though she had RL and YJHD as well so people could debate another point of view. I don't necessarily think it did anything for Kareena's career. Not the way JWM or Omkara did. So I kind of go back to what I said to Swati, Dilwale will probably give Varun his first BB and put him in the league of 100 cr. but I don't think it will give him much acting credibility. If comedy is what people are counting on from Varun in Dilwale then remember that Rohit Shetty is the one who directed and approved SRK's comedic scenes in Chennai Express, YIKES!!

But yes I do agree that he's very smart, and ambitious to the point of being annoying and turn off. But once again, my opinion only.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Interesting discussion here. 
I don't think Sid's upcoming films are bad. They get criticized mainly because of the obvious KJo connection is every single one. I do agree with NeelaPaani that Sid should try to work outside of Dharma more. It's boring to see same associations. There's a reason why a film of Salman-YRF/Dharma or Aamir YRF/Dharma makes much more interesting news than SRK-YRF/Dharma film...whereas say a film of SRK-VB will make much more interesting news. Anyways, working with only one PH has ALWAYS hurt actors. It has killed careers of bigger stars and far better actors than Sid, so he should be careful. 

Varun may not be working with good directors on paper, but he's been smart enough to understand this point. 

I don't think Dilwale will hurt Varun all that much. Anyways, if he does better than SRK, his career is set. Overshadow a top star = career made. Sid has the same chance in Brothers. It's not just about having a BB btw. You gotta do well in the film too. 
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

@ rogerrocks, I think the only person Rohit Shetty movie has really helped is Deepika. It catapulted her to a new level, though she had RL and YJHD as well so people could debate another point of view. I don't necessarily think it did anything for Kareena's career. Not the way JWM or Omkara did. So I kind of go back to what I said to Swati, Dilwale will probably give Varun his first BB and put him in the league of 100 cr. but I don't think it will give him much acting credibility. If comedy is what people are counting on from Varun in Dilwale then remember that Rohit Shetty is the one who directed and approved SRK's comedic scenes in Chennai Express, YIKES!!

But yes I do agree that he's very smart, and ambitious to the point of being annoying and turn off. But once again, my opinion only.

Golmaal din do much to Bebo's career but it din dent her prospects either..Thats all am saying..While it might not benefit him, the chances of it denting his career are very marginal..And given how horribly SRK hammed in CE & how haggard he has been looking off late, i really wont be surprised if VD manages to overshadow him ðŸ˜†  Like i said, he is very smart..He knows his stuff..I wont be surprised if ABCD2 manages to do well either..Cos MTH looked very tacky too when the promos were released & i was certain this guy is an idiot..Cos the others were doing films under good/ decent directors & they were Dharma Productions but here this guy was doing outdated David Dhawan crap..But boy, did he prove me wrong..The film managed to do decently well & he got good reviews too ðŸ˜† Thats when i realized am underestimating his intelligence..He really is focused & ambitious ( maybe to an extreme level like you said) 😆 
IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
@ chocolover, interesting examples. I don't think that Sid shouldn't go out side of Dharma. I just don't think that he should turn down a good script and a good role solely because it's being produced by Dharma.

Besides, in the grand scheme of showbiz careers, he's only been around 4 year. As long as at least some of his next few movies do well he will be fine. And then he will have time and opportunities to work outside of Dharma.

Ek Villain wasn't Dharma, and Bhavesh Joshi got shelved over something that had nothing to do with him.
swati82 thumbnail
Originally posted by: rogerrocks

Golmaal din do much to Bebo's career but it din dent her prospects either..Thats all am saying..While it might not benefit him, the chances of it denting his career are very marginal..And given how horribly SRK hammed in CE & how haggard he has been looking off late, i really wont be surprised if VD manages to overshadow him ðŸ˜†  Like i said, he is very smart..He knows his stuff..I wont be surprised if ABCD2 manages to do well either..Cos MTH looked very tacky too when the promos were released & i was certain this guy is an idiot..Cos the others were doing films under good/ decent directors & they were Dharma Productions but here this guy was doing outdated David Dhawan crap..But boy, did he prove me wrong..The film managed to do decently well & he got good reviews too ðŸ˜† Thats when i realized am underestimating his intelligence..He really is focused & ambitious ( maybe to an extreme level like you said) 😆 

Yes Varun is extremely well versed in how to make the right moves even though it doesn't always appear so at surface level. From what i gather with each film he seems to be targeting a certain audience and he's specially targeting that audience. MTH was for the single screen audience, HSKD was a smart move, sweet, young love story, established him and Alia as a popular pair which is a good advantage for whenever they do another film. He had the smart sense to realise he needed something for critical acclaim hence Badlapur and then marketed it in the most commercial way to ensure it's bo success. Capitalising on his dance skills and keeping his children audience happy with ABCD. Dilwale i think is a good move, all the young actors seem keen to work with Rohit Shetty his films may not be great but they do appeal to a very large audience, which is exactly what these new boys need to do. Icing on the cake is the fact that SRK is co-starring which will go a long way in lauching varun into the overseas market. So hopefully he continues in the same vein (am also hoping his brother's film get shelved or something, that's the one that's worrying me) 
gilmores thumbnail

@ chocolover, interesting examples. I don't think that Sid shouldn't go out side of Dharma. I just don't think that he should turn down a good script and a good role solely because it's being produced by Dharma.

Besides, in the grand scheme of showbiz careers, he's only been around 4 year. As long as at least some of his next few movies do well he will be fine. And then he will have time and opportunities to work outside of Dharma.

Ek Villain wasn't Dharma, and Bhavesh Joshi got shelved over something that had nothing to do with him.

@ bold Of course, on the flipside he shouldn't turn down other good roles for Dharma films either. 

Ek Villain was with KJo's BFF Ekta. KJo got all his children their 2nd film in one way or another. He got Ekta on board to produce MTH. Imtiaz-Alia is common knowledge now. Bhavesh Joshi was also because of KJo. That time KJo was working a lot with Phantom -- he got Imran replaced from the film. Imran was vocal about KJo doing all this. But it's ok for Sid and Dharma as long as his films do well and more importantly HE does well. 

Edited by chocolover89 - 8 years ago
swati82 thumbnail
Originally posted by: chocolover89

Interesting discussion here. 

I don't think Sid's upcoming films are bad. They get criticized mainly because of the obvious KJo connection is every single one. I do agree with NeelaPaani that Sid should try to work outside of Dharma more. It's boring to see same associations. There's a reason why a film of Salman-YRF/Dharma or Aamir YRF/Dharma makes much more interesting news than SRK-YRF/Dharma film...whereas say a film of SRK-VB will make much more interesting news. Anyways, working with only one PH has ALWAYS hurt actors. It has killed careers of bigger stars and far better actors than Sid, so he should be careful. 

Varun may not be working with good directors on paper, but he's been smart enough to understand this point. 

I don't think Dilwale will hurt Varun all that much. Anyways, if he does better than SRK, his career is set. Overshadow a top star = career made. Sid has the same chance in Brothers. It's not just about having a BB btw. You gotta do well in the film too. 

@bold

that's a good point, compare Arjun's 100 crore 2 states with Varun's 75 crore HSKD, at the end of the day Varun walked away with more praise than Arjun did, despite 2 states being a higher grosser
-Arsal- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Great disscussion for a change; here are my two cents.
 I dont think doing big movies hurts anyone. Its how you do it and what kind of impact you leave behind. Lets see how Sid and Varun manage it.

For example; Aditya did YJHD and went toe to toe with Ranbir if not better. IMO he along with Kalki stole the show. Got great reviews and the movie smashed it at the BO. That is how you do it. Atleast standout if you cant overshadow the main leads. And in this case we are talking Ranbir Kapoor. Big movies can help you in a huge way.

Coming to movie choices; its true that Sid needs to work outside Dharma and try different roles/genre. So-far each has been the same. He needs to do a Badlapur well to put his doubters wrong like me.  Intouchables can be that. All the rest of his movies sound the same including upcoming ones. And his excel movie is a nice start outside Dharma as well.

As for Varun, I think Badlapur did wonders for him; more than any other movie. It
His upcomping projects dont seem exciting at all to me. ABCD2, Dilwale, His brothers next all look crap. Now as I said before, I understand the need for Dilwale(a big BB) but the rest?? A huge no. And is he really doing one movie with his father also?? Yikes... Seems like no theatre visit for me in the future if he has walked out of Intoucables remake(only credible project he had). I say this as a Varun fan, it is looking very bad.

Lastly, Aditya. I dont think he is lazy as most people do. I think he is smart and has a very good script sense. Out of all the youngsters, I see him with the most potential. His acting is really good and has impressed me in Guzarish, A2 , YJHD and esp DEI. Ididnt think he would pull off Tariq as well as he did.

Fitoor will be path-breaking for him. He has got one of the best roles in literature; Pip. A story by one of the greats of all time in Dickens. And lastly to say a brilliant team would be an understatement; everthing from the director, cast to Amit Trivedi is perfect. Fitoor will put him in the big league and Intouchables is just the movie he needs to follow up with.
gilmores thumbnail
Originally posted by: rogerrocks

LMAO I totally agree! MTH looked like a load of crap besides some of the songs ... I thought Varun was a complete idiot up until Badlapur promotions or more specifically that interview with Anupama and Anushka. That was the first time I realized that Varun is a lot more level-headed, intelligent, clear about what he wants to do and how to go about it than I ever gave him credit for. I was reminded somewhat of Ranbir in terms of intelligence and focus,,,though I do think Ranbir is on a different level altogether. 😆 

Nobody's watching ABCD 2 for great story and acting. 😆 If that was the case, the first one would have bombed. ...they're watching to see good dancing ...and being known as a dancing star always helps...and Dilwale isn't a bad move either. One of the biggest films of the year, and like I said if he holds his own against SRK (which is EASY now) and Kajol, it's going to go a long way for him. Of course if he does horribly, then that's gonna push him back a bit. 
Edited by chocolover89 - 8 years ago