Monica Sehgal: Rajasthan feels like home

Ri21 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Actress Monica Sehgal was recently in Jaipur to promote her show 'Manmarziyan', in which she plays a character that is close to the kind of person she is. She told us, "This is my debut show and I'm playing Radhika, a small town girl who wishes to create her own identity. The character is close to me as I, too, come from a small town Ujjain and I always wanted to do something on my own and create a space for myself. I'm sure most Indian girls my age will relate to the character."

And while Monica is from Ujjain, she knows a lot about Rajasthan, since her maternal and paternal grandmothers belonged to the state. Monica has always lived in Ujjain, but her love for all things Rajasthan is evident as she shares her memories. "With so much to explore, Rajasthan always offers a unique experience. I first came to the state with my parents when I was probably seven. Memories of getting clicked in the Rajasthani lehenga-odhani are still fresh in my mind. My last trip with a group of college friends a few years ago was again another experience that I cherish. We went to Udaipur, Ajmer, Jodhpur and finally drove to Jaisalmer. Exploring the rustic beauty on bikes was amazing. We stayed overnight in the Khuri Sand Dunes, situated in the outskirts of Jaisalmer. It was the best trip of my life. I have a strong connection to the state and whenever I visit, it turns out to be a memorable trip. It keeps calling me. It feels like home to me," she said.
Jodhpur is her paternal grandmother's home town, and the actress knows a lot about the city. "I know a lot about Jodhpur, including the historical places and famous food joints. My grandmom's father was a famous doctor. A board of his clinic with his name on it is still there and gives me goosebumps. Even after so many years, you can see it at Jalori Gate in the city. I feel so proud," she said.

Before venturing into acting, Monica tried her hands at marketing, advertising and even assistant direction. She said, "Acting was always my passion, but more than an actor, I wanted to be a television host or an anchor. Since I love exploring new things, a travel show will be something that I would love to do one day. It's a dream."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/tv/news/Monica-Sehgal-Rajasthan-feels-like-home/articleshow/47131230.cms?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=toitv