Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pasumarthisa thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: happychappy

Excellent post, Sruthi...👏

Never looked at MB from so deeply feminist a perspective. You are right about all the 'bali' but Uttara's wedding - was it not engineered by Krishna? Knowing well that she would be widowed so young.,.😕 That would also qualify as a sacrifice would it not?!

I dont think it was engineered by Krishna. Anyways in that case,  a lot more was engineered by Krishna. Probably Abhimanyu's death too. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@Shanti last part is a rant that prakriti Vs Purush. Don't take it seriously. But in the same post I have clearly said it was a battle of logic and conscience. Each Garud has to choose conscience or logic. it cannot be forced on them. Yes for Rudra humanity is important and Dansh said Rudra wont hurt woman. That is because of the lineage he has. In his family Naari Pooja is being done. Woman are respected unlike Veshes, Greysons or Nagas where woman are send to be a bali. Veshes send Maya, Greyson use Kat and now Nagas have sent Leela. Power of Veshes and Greyson is already with Garuds, power of Nagas needs to be taken away. Leela has to to come to Garud camp. Unlike Maya and Kat, Leela cannot be easily convinced. She wants to see action, affirmative action this is the camp where she will be respected unlike her own clan which is using her. Whole Nag bali business is for that conviction
@happy in 2013 MB it was shown like Uttara- Abhi wedding engineered by Krishna. But in the story I have read King Viraat asks Arjun to marry Uttara. Arjun tells Uttara is his disciple and a guru cannot marry Shishya so he is willing to take her as DIL. Even 2013 if you look Krishna didn't force a man the woman didn't like on her. There was a scene there also where Krishna looks at Uttara admiring Abhi and abhi admiring her back. That showed they liked each other. Then coming to death. Who can stop it. Even now the couple in perfect harmony sometimes one partner dies at a young age, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have married right. Whatever time Uttara spend with Abhi she was loved and cared, unlike Gandhari or Panchali who were suhaganas but was always at the receiving end of their husband's or son's insensitivity.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
seedhibaat thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Shruti , I love how passionately you write about Mahabharat.😊
You have mentioned about the Bali and how a woman are easy target. In regards to Mahabharat
i have a different angle to it. Satyavati's adamance led to a real Kuruvanshi' Devavrat' to turn to Bhishma. He is the last legitimate Kuru DNA in him who fought the war for a KURU throne. ideally Kuru Vansh stops at Devavrat. 

When Amba refused to marry Vichitravirya she was allowed to leave. She took revenge later. 

Dhritarashtra and Pandu are called KURU Vanshi only because of their mothers. NO kuru DNA in them. They are not known by their father's Vansh who is Vyas Muni. It makes me think sperm donation was a legal way of having progeny and was a accepted way which a Royal family sitting on throne used. Rajmata Satyavati could propose this.  

Kunti too has 4 sons from different /deities /fathers and still three of them are Accepted as Kuru. So is true for Madri sons. It makes me think there was a definite rules /laws for how to get a heir to the throne.  If all those ladies are from different Royal families I am sure they are aware of their rights, So I wont be calling them' bali ' . 

All the so called Kuru in Kurukshetra except Bhishma are not real Kuru . Bali of all those ladies is not something I have in mind. And if we think of your theory then because of ambition of some ladies led to a war which took lot of Bali. 
I will call it Neeyati, All so called Kuru vanshi born after Devavrat were male child. (except Dushhala)😊( I guess Vyas Muni didnt bother messing with women after this.) 
I would go ahead and say there was enough knowledge of IVF too. If 100 kaurav are born it is possible to have many  successful IVFs and surrogate mothers. There is a mention that Kauravs are born from Ghrutkumbh (pot of  Ghee) which could be something resembling a test tube. Since lot of references are lost, currently  there are no concrete evidence.

Of couse this is my interpretation of events. I decided to put it here as I can see you have an avid interest in Mahabharat.😊

Its such a shame all the knowledge is lost over the period. 😡

shruthiravi thumbnail
@seedibaat thank you for beautifully explaining another aspect of MB. Yes I agree to you that there were different accepted way of getting a heir which had to be used in the absence of a legal heir. I told right my feminist mind's rant on the bali part. I actually hate the word bali and don't believe you get anything by doing bali. Bali also has to be free will if it has to yield result for the dharma not the forced one like the Garuds are telling.  Yes I will come to the responsibility of Prakriti or woman for getting love and respect. If you look at my first post in this thread ( Thanks to you for driving my thoughts in this direction of Triveni Sangamam connected with Knowledge, Power and wealth) I have covered the messages in the birth of Krishna and his message in the Kurushetra war. That is only one part of it.

I have said there that I am waiting for some data point which hopefully I will get this week or next week to cover the aspects you told Satyavati's hunger for power for her children, and why the other woman also suffered. And how this also has contributed to the war. No I don't hold man alone for any catastrophe, woman also are responsible, I would say more responsible.

And you are right if you look at MB not only IVF, even cloning should have been known to them. Otherwise how did Kunti get sons from demi gods. And even if you look to attain special powers people had to do lot of penance. In other words it also tells knowledge is power, because it is the knowledge that finally eludes Karna at the most opportune moment due to the past curse. Yes MB has lot of life lessons and if understand it correctly it is always a guide for a better life. Every time you read it, you get new perspective. Every time you discuss it some new knowledge emerge. But the sad part is that it is still treated a religious book only.

I don't know whether you have read new age inspirational books like " Secret " or the " Power". If you dig deeper whatever said in those books it was said in MB 5000 years back.

I write passionately about MB is because it was my inspiration to fight against many patriachial rules from childhood. It was my source to question many of the norms that people trying to impose on me because I was a girl. It's still the source of my knowledge whenever I have to debate with anyone on the rights and choices of woman. And of course the relation of Arjuna and Krishna that of friends that has always given inspiration to me to walk the path of my conscience. Treat God as your friend the way Arjuna trusted Krishna. He will come for you when you need him the most. I am putting this thoughts in the forum because I want other people also to get the inspiration, positivity, fighting spirit etc... from the learnings in that book which I got and also want to get new persepctives from readers like you, Shymaladi, Meena, Shanti, Arshics are all providing.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
jayaks02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: seedhibaat

You have mentioned about the Bali and how a woman are easy target. In regards to Mahabharat
i have a different angle to it. Satyavati's adamance led to a real Kuruvanshi' Devavrat' to turn to Bhishma. He is the last legitimate Kuru DNA in him who fought the war for a KURU throne. ideally Kuru Vansh stops at Devavrat. 

When Amba refused to marry Vichitravirya she was allowed to leave. She took revenge later. 

Dhritarashtra and Pandu are called KURU Vanshi only because of their mothers. NO kuru DNA in them. They are not known by their father's Vansh who is Vyas Muni. It makes me think sperm donation was a legal way of having progeny and was a accepted way which a Royal family sitting on throne used. Rajmata Satyavati could propose this.  

Kunti too has 4 sons from different /deities /fathers and still three of them are Accepted as Kuru. So is true for Madri sons. It makes me think there was a definite rules /laws for how to get a heir to the throne.  If all those ladies are from different Royal families I am sure they are aware of their rights, So I wont be calling them' bali ' . 

All the so called Kuru in Kurukshetra except Bhishma are not real Kuru . Bali of all those ladies is not something I have in mind. And if we think of your theory then because of ambition of some ladies led to a war which took lot of Bali. 
I will call it Neeyati, All so called Kuru vanshi born after Devavrat were male child. (except Dushhala)😊( I guess Vyas Muni didnt bother messing with women after this.) 
I would go ahead and say there was enough knowledge of IVF too. If 100 kaurav are born it is possible to have many  successful IVFs and surrogate mothers. There is a mention that Kauravs are born from Ghrutkumbh (pot of  Ghee) which could be something resembling a test tube. Since lot of references are lost, currently  there are no concrete evidence.

Of couse this is my interpretation of events. I decided to put it here as I can see you have an avid interest in Mahabharat.😊

Brilliant !!! I thought I know Maha Bharat 😆 - There is so much to it. I loved this angle.

Lots of humour too. Vyas Muni is one hell of a man 😆😉
mishtidoi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

So true, genetically Devavrata was true blue blood Kuru alive for the longest of time without an heir.
Then there is this aspect, Ganga married Shantanu...she's now Kuruvanshi...as is the norm women are known by their husband's lineage after marriage...so, this norm must have been the basis of children born off Vyas...there was no marriage there, and women conceived with consent of Rajmata or later Kunti and Madri with consent of Pandu. 

SO, two things "ritual of marriage" and consent of husband or head of the family in former's absence established  legitimacy of the child born in the society.
Sadly Karna lacked both these aspects. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
Exactly Misti. When a man or Rajmata approved a child can be conceived outside the marriage for taking forward the legacy it was fine.
That's why even sharing of Draupadi by five men was accepted. Because it was done to guard their mother's word.

But if the woman choose to have a child outside the marriage then that child was not accepted by the society. The thing that happened with Karna. If Kunti had to accept him she had to face social stigma and she was not willing for it. Again it all boils down to a woman's choice and also the fact that the woman themselves didn't question such norms till Panchali raised the question in the hall of dice.
seedhibaat thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: shruthiravi

Exactly Misti. When a man or Rajmata approved a child can be conceived outside the marriage for taking forward the legacy it was fine.

That's why even sharing of Draupadi by five men was accepted. Because it was done to guard their mother's word.

But if the woman choose to have a child outside the marriage then that child was not accepted by the society. The thing that happened with Karna. If Kunti had to accept him she had to face social stigma and she was not willing for it. Again it all boils down to a woman's choice and also the fact that the woman themselves didn't question such norms till Panchali raised the question in the hall of dice.

Thanks Mishti, Shruti and JayaksO2
Thanks for reading my views, I thought there are readers and thinkers on this forum so lets express views here! Nice to see this discussion interactive and informative. 

The process of having child for the Vansh or heir to the kingdom is called' Niyog'. Its legal and aceeptable form then and had very strict rules for it.  The woman should agree for this way of having a child. A man can exercise Niyog only 3 times in his lifetime. There were  very clear rules about it.The reason such system ran and was accepted because I guess the rules were not violated as much in that era.

Shruti I agree with your view, one gets answers to many questions in life in Geeta or some or the other plots of mahabharat. I feel one should be destined to read, think and impliment teachings of Mahabharat. We should learn to adapt the teachings for this era. 
I always feel one thing which holds good in every Yug  is 'Samay sabse balwan hai'
Thanks again

jayaks02 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Thanks Mishti, Shruti and JayaksO2
Thanks for reading my views, I thought there are readers and thinkers on this forum so lets express views here! Nice to see this discussion interactive and informative. 

The process of having child for the Vansh or heir to the kingdom is called' Niyog'. Its legal and aceeptable form then and had very strict rules for it.  The woman should agree for this way of having a child. A man can exercise Niyog only 3 times in his lifetime. There were  very clear rules about it.The reason such system ran and was accepted because I guess the rules were not violated as much in that era.

Shruti I agree with your view, one gets answers to many questions in life in Geeta or some or the other plots of mahabharat. I feel one should be destined to read, think and impliment teachings of Mahabharat. We should learn to adapt the teachings for this era. 
I always feel one thing which holds good in every Yug  is 'Samay sabse balwan hai'
Thanks again

Seedhibhat - This is very informative 😃 - You write extremely well 👏 -  Samay sabse balwan hai indeed. But Is there any such thing called as samay ? Come to think of it - Is Kalam or times not a  creation of mankind ? In the ever expanding cosmos, what is significance of time ?

And time in other planets is something else rite ? Just asking.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Yes Seedibaat Samay sbse balwan hai. That is why Lord Krishna stressed on action that too at the right time.
There is no point lamenting this happened to me, that happened to me after you failed to take action at the right time.
Kunti held the power to stop Kurushetra war if she could accept Karna as her son in that princess talent showcase event where he enters. But she feared social oscartazation at that time which ended up in so much travails for Karna. With all his qualities he ending up in wrong side and his brother alone killing him.
Panchali wouldn't have let her hair loose and pledged that she wont tie it till her hair is washed with dussashan's blood if atleast one of the learned person in that sabha listened and responded to the injustice that was being done to her. They held the power to stop the war at that time. But they didn't do anything.

You blame Niyati, you blame God for bad things happening. But when you refuse to take the right action at the time, you are forcing Niyati to take extreme steps for correcting course. Choice is always with you.Niyati responds to your choice. It is more like own your actions than pointing fingers at something else.