No dance films for me yet, says Madhuri Dixit-Nene

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago

No dance films for me yet, says Madhuri Dixit-Nene

Wednesday, 29 April 2015 - 6:15am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna | From the print edition

Madhuri Dixit-Nene says she'd rather teach than choreograph for the big screen or do a movie in the genre

Effortless performances and perfectdance moves and the innate ability to make a million hearts go dhak-dhak with just that, Madhuri Dixit-Nene has become a Bollywood dancing legend over the last 25 years. As she joins hands withTerence Lewis for Jugnee, a contemporary dance festival that starts today, she speaks to us about her first love... we don't need to tell you what that is...

Being known as one of the dancing divas in Bollywood, you have carved a niche for yourself...
Actually, it was not about carving a niche. I have been dancing ever since I was a small kid. I don't dance to impress anyone. I have always loved dancing because it is something I enjoy doing. Everyone can dance but it is only those who passionately do it with a lot of love who become professionals. I am thankful to the industry and my fans that they have always loved my dance. But I believe in one thing- if you enjoy doing something, you will always give it your best!

Three decades on in B-Town, how have you managed to adjust to changing trends in Bollywood dancing?
For every form of art, change is always a very natural progression. Whether it is dance or filmmaking or any other subject, I think, with changes in society, the changes get reflected in the art forms too. Films are no different. Bollywood dancing is basically an amalgamation of not only Indian but also western forms of dance. With new choreographers, we had new sensibilities and new ways of picturising songs. For me, it's an art form and it's something I enjoy doing. So I love to do different dance forms.

With more and more dance reality shows on TV today, do you think it's helping Indian dance to go international?
To be very honest, I got to know and also learnt few of the dance forms because I was onJhalak Dikhhla Jaa. I didn't even know something like Bachata exists. People are getting to learn a lot about different dance forms from reality shows, even if it's not completely in a pure way. They have Bollywoodised it because people love to see and hear Hindi songs. It immediately helps you connect with the dance form and in that way, reality shows have definitely broadened the horizons of Indian dance. Also, a lot of talents have come up because of these shows. That has also been a big contribution of the dance shows.

People are even making films on dance and ABCD was a superhit film. Has Bollywood also become more accepting of dance as a genre for films?
Whether people like it or not, dance has always been a part of Bollywood. Every heroine has to dance and sing because it's the naach-gaana that makes Bollywood different. But a movie which concentrates on dance and talks about people's journeys through dances, I think that's a wonderful concept to be made into a film. When someone who himself or herself has seen that journey and has choreographed in reality, they are aware of the struggles that most dancers go through. To portray that on screen, a choreographer can be an ideal director.

Have you watched the ABCD 2 trailer?
I have definitely watched the trailer and I feel it's fantastic. I know it's going to be an amazing film. It's made on a grand scale and the best thing about the film is that Remo has beautifully captured the essence of dance in his film. Even in ABCD, he did a fabulous job. I am sure ABCD 2 will be notches higher. I have worked with Remo and I feel that there could have no one better than him for this film.

You also did Aaja Nachle which was a dance film.
Aaja Nachle was definitely a dance film but it was more about preserving the nautanki which is an integral part of the Indian culture. Theatre is a very traditional form of entertainment and that is dying. So Aaja Nachle was about all that. It was heavy with all the dances and the nautanki.

It didn't work back then. Do you think a film like Aaja Nachle would have worked better if it released now?
I don't know what to say to that. Even when I did the show called Shubh Vivah or Kahin Na Kahin Koi Hai, it was slightly ahead of its time because that was one of the first reality shows of its kind attempted on television. Maybe Aaja Nachle was the same. But I cannot validate it, because it is about looking back and saying 'maybe'. But I enjoyed doing the film because I found it quite appropriate at the time.

Will we ever see you choreograph a Bollywood song or maybe in your films?
I don't know if I want to choreograph but I do enjoy teaching. I have taught many through my website. Wherever dancing is concerned, I want people to take the benefit of the options we provide them. We are trying to form a dance community online.

You recently tweeted about reading scripts. Will you take up a dance film next?
Not yet! Also, it depends on the script. I can't do a film just because it is a dance film. If I am excited by something, regardless of whatever it is, I will definitely do it. As of now, I haven't signed anything yet. It's too early to talk about anything right now.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/interview-no-dance-films-for-me-yet-says-madhuri-dixit-nene-2081495

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meherbaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
blah blah blah,
no worries Madhuri, no one cares for you so keep giving these lame interviews ๐Ÿ˜†
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Mads needs to stop sitting at home waiting for her "dream role" and get on with it. Take Dimple Kapadia as an example and take on small budget film roles which will allow her to express her art. 
I watched "What The Fish" this week and Dimple was flawless in that.

Madhuri + Sridevi should not be so super selective. The likes of Dimple, Amrita Singh, Tabu, Juhi are eating up the meatier parts while they sit waiting for dream projects.
briahna thumbnail
honestly mads, you don't have to do anything anymore. let other married/retired actresses make huge comebacks.
you delivered your goodies when it really counted.
just sit back, chill and no worries.
chances are your name will pop up first when there will be talk about THE star of all time๐Ÿ˜†