Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Song in Guide was first feminist anthem: Waheeda Rehman - Page 4

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
Part of the reason of the film industry going down is the Khan ego. I am a fan, but I have to admit, none of them can share the limelight. They all want to be larger than life heroes. Everyone else was trying to be like the Khans and women got sidelined. 
We are again seeing a shifting trend towards better stories. Leads like Ayushman Khurana or Randeep Hooda who don't mind sharing the limelight or letting women take it. 

While we aped the west in some aspects, we never seem to have embraced the positives. Western music, cinema, and fashion was blindly thrust on Indian audiences as "cool". 

Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep, all get so much reverence despite their age. They continue to get cast in substantial roles. Forty year old men don't play teenagers. They play their age. Angeline Jolie, Sigourney Weaver, Sandra Bullock and the likes did action flicks and were embraced by men and women as action stars. The younger generation has like Emma Watson, Emma Stone, Anna Kendrick, Rooney Mara, Anne Hathaway are making a name for their bright personalities as well as their roles. 

While I do admit that female sexuality and sex in general needs a positive outlook and better place in Indian cinema - I don't understand why Bollywood directors are focused on kissing and skin as modernization of Bollywood. Why can't they take other positives from Hollywood? It is changing with films like Gulaab Gang, Mardaani and such - but we need more. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: Mallika-E-Bhais

I loved Heena & Saans, Siski, and the Pallavi Joshi starrer show who se name am forgetting but she's the one who goes into a coma. Tv truly was highly progressive in the 90s! And it was excellent tv! Dekh bhai dekh, Tu Tu Main Main stills elicit laughs!! Stuff like Khichdi & SVS won't & can't be replicated Today so we are stuck with the rotting vegetables they dish out to us in the name of refined biryani. 

That Pallavi Joshi show was called Alpaviram, with Aamir Bashir

that song had a crazily haunting theme tune
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: Chippeshwini

That Pallavi Joshi show was called Alpaviram, with Aamir Bashir

that song had a crazily haunting theme tune

Ohhh yesss!!!! That's the name! ðŸ˜ƒ I loved that show & yes, the theme song was very nice, haunting.
CineFanLuver thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: ibelieveinpink

@Atom: yup. I think that's so pathetic though. I don't wanna say women of today aren't trail-blazers b/c like someone mentioned Vidya and Sonam are good examples, and Anushka too now. And there are actresses that are married with children that demand bounded scripts, top billing, etc. But if we compare their filmography to that of Nutan and Waheeda...it pails. Kajol played it safe through her whole career, Kareena immense powerhouse of talent picked projects based on the hero, Karishma and Urmila started doing more daring projects towards the end of their careers. It was more like they were content till those roles started running out and they have to search for new avenues. It wasn't a conscious choice, IMO. I always felt that amount of freedom women have in society doesn't translate well into BW, which amazes me b/c they're all such elitists. 

@RTH: One thing I've noticed is that the 80s parallel the early 2000s in BW. There was an immense influence of HW/Western culture. I remember seeing so much Michael Jackson and Latin music incorporated into the club setting. The film-making style shifted away from what it was and people started making for "western" projects. But they failed to incorporate strong female characters. I still think the 90s did a better job of bringing back strong female roles like Damini, Gupt, Akele Hum Akele Tum, but most of the 90s and BW post 2008 has been production of big budget masala films with the Khans. It's like a step forward and then 2 steps back. And in between we'll get an occassional Black or Kahani.

Today it is all about fast money making, nothing else. Taking risk & pushing the envelop doesnt pay: look how much these modern trailblazers get mocked for not going for flower pots roles! Most big heroines chose to go for flowerpots roles, because they have the choice, all thanks to the hard work done by yesteryear actresses.  They dont fight further because they dont believe in the necessity of it. They are quite happy  in their comfort zones. They dont understand that it s an ongoing fight & not a fad to follow whenever it suits them.
Besides, challenging roles & stories are deemed risky & more often than not, they dont see the light of the day. So, mysoginistic stories keep on being told, women keep on being objectified. Also it is in the men s interest to keep the industry that way, they dont want to go back to playing second fiddle to heroines a la Sridevi.
Mirchi. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Aaj Phir Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai 

made memorable by Waheeda ji. 

Kaanton se kheench ke yeh aanchal
Tod ke bandhan baandhe payal
Koyi na roko dil ki udaan ko
Dil woh chala aa..
Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai
Aaj phir marne ka irada hai

Apne hi bas mein nahi main
Dil hai kahin to hoon kahin main
Ho apne hi bas mein nahi main
Dil hai kahin to hoon kahin main.
Ho jaane kya pa ke meri zindagi ne
Hans kar kaha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Main hoon gubaar ya toofan hoon
Koyi bataaye main kahan hoon
Ho main hoon gubaar ya toofan hoon
Koi bataaye main kahan hoon
Ho dar hai safar mein kahin kho na jaaoon main
Rasta naya aa..

Kal ke andheron se nikal ke
Dekha hai aankhein malte malte
Ho kal ke andheron se nikal ke
Dekha hai aankhein malte malte
Ho phool hi phool zindagi bahaar hai
Tay kar liya aa..

Aaj phir marne ka irada hai.

Read more: http://www.lyricsoff.com/songs/aaj-phir-jeene-ki-tamanna-hai.html#ixzz3WdRgbI9z
Mirchi. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Both ladies have conducted their lives with grace   post retirement and are the epitome of charm. 
touch_of_pink thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: Rhino2close2car

Never heard of it ... 😲

Really?! ðŸ˜²

Here you go:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1odcNKyfZJU[/YOUTUBE]
atominis thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Mamta.s

Both ladies have conducted their lives with grace post retirement and are the epitome of charm.

Not Waheeda.

She ruined lives of Guru Dutt and Geeta Dutt.

Not excusing Guru Dutt here. But poor Geeta Dutt was ruined thanks to these cheapos.

Grace post retirement can't whitewash filth of her past.
ibelieveinpink thumbnail
^I think more than Waheeda, Gurur Dutt is to blame. He was so mentally unstable for the most part of his life. He was already making his martial life hard for Geeta and I think Waheeda was like the final straw that eventually broke it all up. Geeta had started drinking too after the initial years of the unhappy marriage. Sometimes I wonder if Guru Dutt was a closest homosexual or did he have a mental illness. He was severely depressed from what I recall reading.
But yeah, I can never sympathize with homewreckers. Both men and women. That's why it's so hard to truly like some of the BW stars.
DanceUntilWeDie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Even I loved alpaviram n sans n Kora kagaaz even astitva n heena
Does anyone remember Lil anecdotes of rishtey