Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

history_geek thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: RadhikaS0

Incidentally, there is a character called Radhagupta who is the disciple of Chanakya in the show. 

Radhagupta was a minister in Ashoka's time. Don't know if this is the same as mentioned above. 

Radhika,
Some texts call Radhgupta as grandson of Chanakya.
I don't know how much true it is, whether REAL grandson or an adopted ?

I mentioned Radhagupta in this post :
Family of Emperor Ashoka Maurya

Also, in the present post whose link is posted on page-1, RadhaGupta is mentioned.

I guess may be, he is the same RadhaGupta, as he stays with C only in the show, always.

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: history_geek

Radhika,
Thanks for this concise post.

Since, i am not watching the show, hence my reply is based only on what you and others wrote on the previous Chanakya thread. The dragging of Nirjara-Dharma track has started taking it's toll. The plot got a bit boring. Initially , i remember , even if we missed a single episode, it looked like we missed a lot, but now the storyline is so stagnant that it seems not much is missed even if we don't read many WU's.

He was a practical person not at all emotional. Unique, Individualistic and slightly 'Egocentric'. > He was not a mystic, but a mysterious person. > He was a good friend to a friend but not a friendly person. > He could go to any extent to guard his ward, but was not a fatherly figure. Then what he was ?

I don't think 100's of thinkers and theorists combined would be able to do justice to his persona. He had varying personality.

Quoting Chanakya from Arthashastra -> " Treat your child like a darling for the first 5 years. For the next 5 years, scold them. By the time they turn 16, treat them like a friend. Your grown up children are your best friends."

Now, contrast the case with the REEL one where he was almost ready to shed tears for separating Ashoka from Dharma. I would say, though history was not followed here, but the performance by cast was fantastic, and Chanakya was STRONG till this track, which i enjoyed. I wish this will continue. CAS was fresh till i watched it. :)

Abhay

@purple: Most historic shows we are watching ONLY for acting by an ensemble cast, while history is missing from the script. ðŸ˜•
RadhikaS0 thumbnail
Originally posted by: history_geek

Radhika,
Some texts call Radhgupta as grandson of Chanakya.
I don't know how much true it is, whether REAL grandson or an adopted ?

I mentioned Radhagupta in this post :
Family of Emperor Ashoka Maurya

Also, in the present post whose link is posted on page-1, RadhaGupta is mentioned.

I guess may be, he is the same RadhaGupta, as he stays with C only in the show, always.

Abhay

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Went back and read about Radhagupta in link you shared here. :)

If RG was Chanakya's grandson, was Chanakya also present in Ashoka's time?

The sanskri text mentions RG as old. Was he really old when he suggested to Ashoka to go for Pingalvatsa's test? 

Anyway, this itself shows that he was instrumental in encouraging Ashoka in becoming next king. :) 
history_geek thumbnail

Abhay

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Went back and read about Radhagupta in link you shared here. :)

If RG was Chanakya's grandson, was Chanakya also present in Ashoka's time?

The sanskri text mentions RG as old. Was he really old when he suggested to Ashoka to go for Pingalvatsa's test? 

Anyway, this itself shows that he was instrumental in encouraging Ashoka in becoming next king. :) 

Radhika,

Chanakya died around approx. 284 BC(plus minus 1 year), in his early 80's. So, we can well infer that Chanakya was well alive when Ashoka was 20 years old.

Radhagupta was also Ashoka's important minister. But, about his age i have no details right now. But, if Chanakya is in his 80's then Radhagupta must be well enough aged also. :)

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
In Friday's episode, Chanakya continued his melancholic act. Just not able to reconcile him with the author of Arthashastra. ðŸ˜†
He is the avuncular uncle of the show. 

Giving him close competition in the tragedy hero role is Bindusara. He is also perpetually gloomy about the loss of Dharma and now Ashoka too. If he was so in love with Dharma, why didn't he send for her in the early days of his marriage? CVs!!!!

Vying for a comic-vamp trophy is Helena. While consoling B, she says, "everyone has to die. You will also die one day." Which (step) mother would say that to her son?!

Helena is pitting CM against Nur in the who-will-be-heir sweepstakes to deflect attention from her. Why? What is she planning to do? 

Why is Siamak so in favor of Ashoka - genuine friendship or does he recognize that Ashoka can queer Sushim's pitch? 

Interesting days ahead - just hope D is found soon and the gloom in the scenes lifts. ðŸ˜Š
history_geek thumbnail

Abhay

@purple: Most historic shows we are watching ONLY for acting by an ensemble cast, while history is missing from the script. ðŸ˜•

ROFL...Radhika,  I think these days historicals, show the tracks as per their "requirement" and leave the rest to the viewers, if they are interested in knowing the history part. Their major motive is entertainment. I am fine now, as this is what is a normal trend. Learnt after watching 2 other shows. :-P

history_geek thumbnail

In Friday's episode, Chanakya continued his melancholic act. Just not able to reconcile him with the author of Arthashastra. ðŸ˜†

He is the avuncular uncle of the show. 

Giving him close competition in the tragedy hero role is Bindusara. He is also perpetually gloomy about the loss of Dharma and now Ashoka too. If he was so in love with Dharma, why didn't he send for her in the early days of his marriage? CVs!!!!

Vying for a comic-vamp trophy is Helena. While consoling B, she says, "everyone has to die. You will also die one day." Which (step) mother would say that to her son?!

Helena is pitting CM against Nur in the who-will-be-heir sweepstakes to deflect attention from her. Why? What is she planning to do? 

Why is Siamak so in favor of Ashoka - genuine friendship or does he recognize that Ashoka can queer Sushim's pitch?

Interesting days ahead - just hope D is found soon and the gloom in the scenes lifts. ðŸ˜Š

Interesting details.TFS.

I have no idea about the Siamak and Ashoka friendship. This might be a direct outcome of the brewing tension between Ashoka and Sushima. The general trend is -> " Dushman ka Dushman is Dost ". May be CV's are going for this .

About Chanakya, what to say ? I really really NEVER want to see him as an emotional person who "repents" for some thing. He was ALWAYS a man on mission right from the Nandas to Mauryas(CGM to Ashoka). The texts which we have read depict him as a person who after One mistake or one setback, was ready to rectify it, and not getting stuck at his failure/loss, like our Chanakya is shown in this Dharma Case.! The texts have shown him emerging a winner in all his "duels".

Agreed, every MAN makes mistakes and might have some moments of self-pity. But, While in lives of other Emperors and personalities which, we(or I) have come across, i have got some thing or the other to justify their actions, But Chanakya was truly a person much MUCH practical and i would even say, "heartless", and far ahead of his times. He thought of the unification of this Land at that time, when there was no precedent for it.

Radhika , if you watch some videos of OLD CGM show few years back, the Chanakya there was very strong and i have seen few videos of that show, i liked him there. 

Liking this one also, just need MORE strong and a MORE shrewd person. :)

history_geek thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kaana

Abhay, nice to see you back on Chanakya. Before going to Chanakya, I really liked your response to Jaya- you are so open minded.

Regarding our hero Chanakya, should I say same pinch? I am also primary here for him. And his character getting compromised is something I cannot tolerate. In my rage, I know what I will do - quit the show:(, only thing in my hands. Even if masala is being added to history and a lil compromise here and there in timelines etc., are relatively tolerable to me, in comparison to compromise of the chatacter of the admirable great heroes of our mathrubhoomi. In this, in my opinion, only MP is spared but for few rare compromises on his character. That is why I prefer to watch it, though history there beats me at times. Also, the fact is that to me, Maharana Pratap is the greatest hero, even much before tThe Great kings of our glorious motherland. (By the way I am a proper Chennaite.)

Coming to Chanakya's portrayal, I agree with you that it is not the same as before, quality is going down. I still like MJ, especially for his dialogue delivery and the calm frame. But, in the name of building suspense (Dharma's death track), Chanakya could leave an impression of being taken for granted. If you would have noted, I only said may leave an impression so, as to me it is not the impression yet, as I still Chanakya is largely at play. And why I feel so (based ony limited knowledge of the show from WUs, as I am not watching the show for a little more than a week now. So pl excuse for any flaws.)

- Dharma's (assumed) face is distorted. Why would Helena's killer distort her face, if the objective is only to get rid of her, which according to them has been accomplished anyway.

- how could Dharma know its a wrong route - she is knew to Pataliputra and has been one the palace, only with B all the time, though sadly as a dasi. Whereas Nirjara would know the route

- Nirjara is posted for Dharma's security and given the Bhakti to Magadh and Chanakya, these spies would not hesitate to give their lives

- either Helena's D killing plan is fully known or atleast a potential threat is envisaged by Chanakya and so N could have been substituted- this also justifies why she knew the route and why her face was distorted

- another possibility, which Chanakya is very well capable of is, knowing H's plan he could have substituted H's soldiers but still carried out the task, but as he would have wanted (and hence face distortion) and declared D dead- by this D could be spared of H's continued threat (he might have figured out that H is aware D-Ashoka rel), while Ashoka will be instigated to pursue the chosen path. He would turn out to be a smart player if something like this has happened, which as usual would be revealed as flashback in the court.

- making B do the samskar - I need to see the epi to clearly understand what exactly he said and why. Making B do the karma - what could be achieved by this really by Chanakya, he definitely should have something up his sleeve. Thinking aloud - is it for emotional blackmail of B later (when he knows its D actually) to do favour to Ashoka. Chanakya could substantiate D as his wife even without D being alive - the ring, Ashoka saying his mother's name as Dharma, the village ppl as proof etc etc- Chanakya can always find a way. But I don't think history will be compromised big time as D was alive for long. Maybe her life style is portrayed differently to add all those drama effect, but it will not be to the extent of eliminating her - that would gross violation of history. Also, we should have a good reason for Ashoka to kill Sushim (Adhoka will have to white as the hero and there ought to be a compelling reason in that sense, which is history also as I understand). So, D cannot be laid off so early.

So, summarily, I still have hopes and trust in CSA's Chanakya. If it turns otherwise, it is CSA's Chanakya who would have fallen anyway, my Chanakya will remain intact untouched!

Transferring from here :
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/120437128

Kaana,

So many possibilities have been added by you. I saw the last scene where Chanakya tries to convince Bindusara, in the assembly, to do the last rites of Dharma(or that maid as per Bindusara).

From that scene, it looked like Chanakya was completely unaware of the reality. He was shown in a low mood indulging in self pity and what he wanted what simply the last rites of Dharma to be done by Bindusara, even though Bindusara is unaware of the reality.

So, i think, Dharma will come into picture suddenly and right now Chanakya is unaware. I have no idea of story after those  minutes, i am replying on that basis only here.

It is sure Nirjara is the one who has died, and Dharma is alive, as Dharma had one more son, i mentioned in the present post also, link on Pg-1. This much big manipulation of history can not be done here, like the other show where kids of a lady were assigned to someone else by the CV's. :-P

BTW, i do not deny the fact that the brutal weapon called - "NR" gives them the license to do anything. :-P

history_geek thumbnail

Kaana , Radhika and all who are keeping a tab here..

Just now signed in, and this article was appearing on the right side of my screen..

http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/wassup/24686-ashoka-to-relive-moments-with-his-mother-on-chakravartin-ashoka.htm

Thought of opening and i found this.. >>

"

Colors' newly launched Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat, is being ruling the hearts of the audience with the characterization and the justification of each character. So far we have seen Rani Helena (Suzanne Bernet) killing Shubhadrangi (Pallavi Subhash) and Ashok (Siddharth Nigam) refuses to accept that his mother has been killed.

In the further episodes, our source reveals, "In the upcoming episodes, viewers will witness Ashoka leaving Patliputra in search of his mother. While on his way, Ashok meets Bindusara (Sameer Dharmadikari) and asks him to come back. But Ashok refuses to as he strongly believes that his mother has not died. Viewers will also see Ashok day dreaming about how happy his mother and him are together. But soon as reality struck him, he is again heart broken and moves ahead in search of his mother."

It would surely be a good watch when Ashoka comes to know that his mother is not dead, in fact it was a set up by Chanakya (Manoj Joshi).

"

So, does it means that Chanakya is still playing some games. ? :-P :D
I think it will shown that Chanakya was ultimately THE BOSS .
Good. But, they stretched a Lot.!

RadhikaS0 thumbnail
TFS, Abhay ðŸ˜Š
I don't believe these articles totally. They are many times wrong, as I am finding out quite bitterly in another show. 

Today also, Chanakya was being given details of the spies who had been keeping an eye on Dharma and was wondering if Nirjara had betrayed them. He wanted Nirjara to be found at the earliest. 

Precap for tomorrow shows that he is hunting for Nirjara and suddenly sees Dharma bolt out from a hut. And he is shocked! 

I do not think at the moment Chanakya knows anything about Dharma's whereabouts. He only suspects Helena had a hand in Dharma's disappearance.