Arhi SS : Chemistry #1 [ Completed ]

mints23 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

Arhi SS : Chemistry

Before you meet "the one" for you, the word "love" seems like a mystery.

But when he barges into your life like a storm, you can only marvel at

the "chemistry."

Character Sketch

Shashi and Garima Gupta : An industrialist and his loving wife who works with an NGO. Parents to Khushi Gupta, their only daughter who has taken charge of their businesses and has given Shashi Gupta the chance to spend the rest of his life with his beautiful wife.

Khushi Gupta : Heading Gupta Industries at the age of 27. She is beautiful, confident and a very obedient daughter. She could do anything, to make her parents happy. A genius at work, she seems to be a failure in the matters of heart. Fumbling her way through her love life, she wishes for a fairytale romance.

Ajay Singh Raizada : The owner of the huge Raizada empire. His wife's sad demise fifteen years ago has left him with only two family members... his beloved son Arnav and his mother-in-law. He now has finally entrusted all work responsibilities to his son and has submerged himself in the NGO Garima works for.

Arnav Singh Raizada: Heading Raizada Corp. at the age of 29. He is one of the most eligible bachelors and is flocked by women at most of the parties. He respects his father and loves his nani dearly. His casual flings are published across tabloids, yet "love" seems to be a far off word for him.

Link to my other work:

Arhi Index : Mints Madness

Edited by mints23 - 8 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mints23 thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.

mints23 thumbnail

Arhi SS : Chemistry - Part 1

Khushi Gupta sat in her plush cabin, staring intently at the newspaper. The soothing hues of blue that adorned the office were a stark contrast to her inner melancholy. She admired the smiling face of Lavanya Kashyap. The girl looked exceptionally gorgeous and poised for her rather middle-class lifestyle. However, Khushi's eyes were trained on the man besides her in the picture, Khushi's fiance... scratch that... ex-fiance.

Nandkishore Mittal seemed to be holding onto his bride, with extreme possessiveness and love. Their body language oozed of passion with their eyes focused on each other. Khushi wondered how everything had fallen apart between NK and her, in just a few months. It had taken all of six months, for Aman's personal secretary Lavanya Kashyap, to snatch away her fiance and get hitched to him for a lifetime.

Khushi sighed in frustration, and shut the newspaper rather cruelly. Throwing it across the huge glass table, she stood up from her chair and walked towards the French windows. The view like always calmed her frazzled nerves. The never-ending Arabian Sea and the beautiful curve of Queens's necklace looked spectacular on this dull, clouded day.

The Mumbai winter... if you could call it, had set in... giving the common man some relief. Khushi stood rigid, gazing at the shimmering body of water; lost in thoughts of the past seven years... the time since NK had entered her life.

NK and she had met at Oxford University, where they both were pursuing their MBA. Coincidently when they had begun talking, they had realized that their fathers were well acquainted with each other. This information had given her worried mother some respite, especially with her beloved daughter living alone in a different continent.

Slowly and steadily NK and she had become best of friends. Their interests matched, their attitudes were in sync, their perspective in life was alike and Khushi did not even realize how the two years flew by, while studying at Oxford.

He was a quiet, reclusive guy, with not too may friends. Khushi admired his wit, his focus on work and commitment towards everything he did. She had found a strong support system in him and somewhere down the line; the comfort that they shared with each other had eventually landed up ruining their friendship completely.

She had returned to India, only to find out the merger between Gupta Industries and Mittal Group... forming MG Corp. She had been thrilled at the idea of working with her best friend and NK had shared her feelings aswell. As the years passed by, their bond became stronger. Somehow, there was never a romantic inclination from either of the two.

Then one fine day, two years ago, NK's parents had brought up the topic of extending this business relationship into something much more stronger. They had put forth NK's rishta for Khushi and her parents had managed to convince her about the same. Khushi still remembered the conversation she had with NK about the sudden change in their relationship.

They were seated at the Salt Water Cafe, relishing their favourite food. "Are you in love with me NK?" Khushi had asked a shocked NK, who had spluttered on his drink. It took a moment for him to respond... "Are you crazy Khushi?" She looked at him suspiciously and asked, "Then what is all about this? This rishta for marriage business? Suddenly why do you want to get married to me?"

NK had laughed hysterically and replied, "Look Khushi... I know this is strange. It is kind of weird for me too. You know what a workaholic I am and I have never given this a thought. But when mom and dad asked me if I was ok to get married to you... I really didn't see a problem in it."

She had looked at him confusedly as he continued; "We have been best friends Khush... for a really long time now. There is no other girl that knows me as much as you do. I can be myself in front of you, with no pretenses. I like you and admire you. We think alike and spend almost fifteen hours a day, working with each other. Then why not give "us" a shot? Maybe we can explore the possibilities of falling in love. What say?"

"I am not so sure about all this NK. I can't imagine you in any way more than a friend. God!! No! I think it's a terrible idea. You please tell your parents to remove this thought from their head. I don't want to lose our friendship NK... it's too precious for me," Khushi had spoken her heart out, like always. With NK... there was no need to pretend, to hide or shy away from stating what she felt.

Khushi smiled to herself, thinking about what she had said that day. Her gut feeling had been right then... she had not only lost her fiance... but she had lost her best friend too. She suddenly felt alone and lost. Walking back to her seat, she slumped in it, silently staring at the pile of files that needed her urgent attention. Another scenario flashed in her mind... the time she had finally given in to the constant pressure from her parents and his, and not to forget the man himself.

"Ok fine! I give up. I am ready to get engaged to NK. Lets give this a shot as you say NK. But let me warn all of you'll that I really don't want any pressure to get married, like how you have been putting now. I am sick of this constant emotional blackmailing and coaxing," Khushi had said angrily, only to be engulfed into NK's friendly arms. Their families had been thrilled to plan a grand engagement party, which had officially announced the alliance between two majestic families.

However, the months that followed were not as happy as they were supposed to be. Khushi and NK had tried to gradually move their friendship to the next level. But Khushi did not feel any spark or the need for him in any different way. It was getting tough to break the complacency that they had shared for so many years. Going on dates, spending time together, going out on holidays with friends had been a way of bonding their hearts in some way.

And quite frankly Khushi had thought that this is what a strong, happy relationship is all about. Being there for one another, making your partner laugh, the simple kisses, and the comforting hugs... is was a good relationship meant. She and NK had gotten into such a comfort zone that her idea of love and attraction had been what they shared with each other. But then... all her beliefs had started crumpling... everything had started falling apart when Lavanya Kashyap had entered their lives six months ago.

Lavanya had joined their office as his personal assistant. Her colourful attire, her love for the Hindi language, her greed for delicious food and the constant need to chatter, had her standing out in their cold, corporate world. NK had blown his fuse for the first time in the entire span of time Khushi had known him. The mere presence of Lavanya incensed him and the spunky girl gave it back to him with equal fervor.

At first Khushi had brushed this off as mere difference of cultures and had advised NK to hire another secretory for himself. However, as weeks passed by, Khushi had started noticing how Lavanya's presence affected NK. Even though he reacted in annoyance... it was the fact that she was the only girl who managed to get such a strong reaction out of him. There was this tangible tension between the two, which apparently had started being noticed by others aswell.

It was during the time of Khushi's London trip that things had gone completely wrong. She was travelling regarding a new business lead, and to handle the existing businesses, NK had decided to stay back in India. Two weeks were all it had taken for NK to realize his true feelings towards Lavanya. The day she had returned from the trip, NK had wanted to speak to her urgently. She still distinctly recollected her conversation with NK two months back.  

"Khushi, I am in love with Lavanya," NK had said softly yet without any hesitation. Even though Khushi had known this coming, she was shocked at his impudence. Even though she knew what NK and she shared was not love, she felt deeply cheated. Even if she had not expected undying love from the man sitting in front of her, she feared the end of a strong friendship that they shared.

She flared in anger and accused NK, "What the f**k do you mean NK? I was away for two weeks and you started cheating on me? It was you who propositioned our marriage... And now you are telling me that you are in love with some other woman!! This was something I never expected out of you NK. Why??" Slumping back in her chair, Khushi held her tired face in her palms and tried to rub away the traitorous tears that were streaming down her face.

NK was on his feet in seconds, kneeling down in front of her, trying to pry her hands away from her face. She knew how much effort it was taking him to tell her the truth as he had said miserably, "I am so sorry Khush... please... please don't cry like this. You know I can't see you cry." She pushed at his hand angrily and replied, "Yes... I can see how well you have been trying to make me smile. Cheating on me... behind my back... with that cheap woman Lavanya... who knowing the fact that you were engaged, tried to cling onto you!!"

At the mention of Lavanya, NK had gotten up abruptly and said coldly; "Don't drag Lavanya between us, Khushi. She has no idea about my feelings for her. I wanted to speak to you first... before I even told her about how I feel. I could never cheat on you Khushi and you know that. You are my best friend and I just cannot stop the feelings I have for Lavanya. She is crazy, frustrating, annoying with her constant chatter... yet when I am with her... everything is magical... its beyond what I have ever imagined... ever felt... Its chemistry Khushi... and I don't even know how to put it in mere words."

Khushi sighed dejectedly, and nodded at everything he had said. Even though the shock hadn't worn out, she knew for sure that NK was not a guy who would cheat and lie to her. He was voicing the exact emotions for Lavanya, that she had found missing in their own relationship and somehow despite not understanding most of what he was saying... she said, "Its ok NK... I understand. I guess we were never meant to be. We were better off as friends and now we have somehow managed to ruin both our relationships. This is going to affect the families... you realize that right, don't you?"

The days after seemed to be never ending. The families' involvement had only worsened matters. With the Guptas and the Mittals at loggerheads in their personal lives, the business had been affected. They mutually decided to part ways, considering how angry and hurt Shashi Gupta had been. He could not stand the sight of NK around Khushi and knowing how professional his daughter was, he knew they would have to keep bumping into each other time and again.

Coming back to the present, Khushi sighed dejectedly, as she once again glanced at the stack of files on her desk that she had to go through. Days... weeks... months that followed her separation with NK, had passed in a blur. She had submerged herself in work, not wanting to have any free time to think about him at all. More than missing her fiance, she had missed her friend... a companion, a guide and a mentor. The bottled-up hollowness had clogged her heart, making her immune to any sentiments that came her way.

Somehow keeping her tormented heart at bay, she managed the excruciating task of getting through the day at work. Ignoring calls from home for a change, she had conveniently kept the discussions, conversations and lectures on NK-Lavanya, away for the day. The media was being handled extremely well by her PR and her reliable assistant, Aman. She was thankful for his presence. Aman Mathur was her father's faithful ally, who had been assisting her for over a year.

"Maam... I have handed over your statement to the media, congratulating the newly wed Mr & Mrs Mittal. They had been desperately wanting to get a byte from you, but I had them scurrying off, threatening to banish them from attending the upcoming Gupta Industries conference. I think they realized, they had good chances for juicy gossip at the conference than any interview with you. Everything for today has been handled and if you aren't ready for tomorrows presentation, then I can try and postpone it by speaking to Mr..."

Aman was cut short by Khushi, "Aman, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Khushi. You are older to me in age, way senior to me in terms of years at Gupta Industries and also in terms of experience. Isn't that enough reasons for you to call me Khushi over "maam"?" Aman simply smiled in return like always and Khushi knew that he would never back down from his beliefs in the hierarchy and its protocols of this organization.

She sighed in resignation and continued, "We are prepared for the meeting tomorrow, Aman. Lets just get this done with. Things are changing at work and we have to go along with the flow. I guess it is time for some fresh change... don't you think? A new perspective at work will do us some good." Aman nodded in agreement and replied calmly like always, "Offcourse ma'am. A new perspective always does well... be at work or in life." His cryptic words made Khushi ponder about her own life for a few seconds, before dismissing him for the day.

She picked up her phone and punched a number on her speed dial. As soon as the phone was answered, Khushi asked "You up for a drink?" The response was prompt with a, "I am always up for a drink darling. See you at our usual, in an hour?" Khushi hmmed into the phone and ended the call. Quickly winding up the remaining documents in front of her, she made her way out of the luxurious office. With her bodyguard in the front, she relaxed in the backseat of her Lexus that made its way towards the Taj Mahal Hotel at Colaba Causeway.

Khushi entered the beautiful restaurant... her all-time favourite... Masala Kraft at Taj. Whenever she was upset or completely distressed, she would take the refuge of scrumptious Indian food. The kebabs, the biryani followed by delicious rabdi and kulfi, would always uplift her spirits. However, today was a day where Khushi could not understand the reason for her own melancholy. She needed some wine to calm herself down and get back her life in perspective.

And what better companion for a glass of wine, than her childhood best friend Sheetal Kapoor! She saw the always-smiling face of her friend at their favorite table and walked swiftly towards her. "Hey babes! You look terrible," Sheetal greeted her friend knowing very well the reason behind it. Khushi smiled genuinely... and replied, "Thanks Sheetal... your comment makes me feel better! Did you place the order for our regular?" After a positive response from her friend, Khushi sat down in her chair, relaxing a bit.

Sheetal Kapoor and Khushi Gupta had been neighbourhood friends. Their parents were well acquainted and the girls, not having too many children around, had gotten along pretty well. Despite the contrast in their characters, they somehow managed to have a certain liking for the other. While Khushi was generous, Sheetal was selfish. Garima and Shashi had come up in life from a small town; hence their upbringing had kept Khushi grounded. Whereas, Sheetal and her family had inherited a hefty bank balance and a successful business from their ancestors, making Sheetal a little more snobbish and sophisticated since childhood... just like her parents.

Despite all of it, Khushi and Sheetal were inseparable. "Woah tragedy queen! Snap out of it. The wine should start making you chatter and not get into long silences. I know it has been a tough few months for you and today has been tougher, but lets just move on ya!" Sheetal tried to loosen up this uptight Khushi, who seemed to be lost in a world of her own.

"I know Sheetal, that I need to move on and believe me I am trying. But it's not easy considering I have not only lost my fiance, but also my best friend and a business partner. Everything seems to be changing in my personal and professional life and I feel like I am losing control over it." Khushi vented to her bestie to which Sheetal replied, "Cut it out you bore. Frankly I am truly glad you guys broke up. You'll definitely had something missing. Both of you'll put together were like flat soda... without the fizz... the zing! Absolutely no chemistry!"

"What the! What do you mean Sheetal? How can you say that? We loved each other. We got along so well. We barely ever fought... and..." Khushi's explanation was cut short by Sheetal, "Exactly! How can you not fight? The friction makes everything interesting... don't you get it? Fighting is fun because make-up sex is the most pleasurable..."

"Stop! What crap are you talking Sheetal? Don't revolve everything around the physical aspect of a relationship. There is much more to it... its important to have matching wavelengths, intelligent conversations and similar likings," Khushi countered proudly, describing in short whatever her relationship had been with NK. Sheetal laughed heartily and teased, "Woman you need to get laid! Were you in a relationship with your professor? Intelligent conversations... similar likings for the subject!! All bullshit!"

Khushi frowned digging into her dish of biryani, cursing herself for actually thinking that Sheetal's company could make her feel better. She was a brat and their thinking was poles apart. Yet she was her BFF!! Looking at Khushi's sulking face, Sheetal steered the topic to more interesting topics, "Hey! So you are going to be attending your first joint meeting with the heir of Raizada Industries right? One of the most eligible bachelors in India... Arnav Singh Raizada. He is so hot. Aren't you a least bit excited?"

Khushi made a face, thinking about the Raizada Corp. and Gupta Industries merger. It was her father's idea, which she had been completely against. She had tried convincing him, that she did not require a partner. One experience was quite enough and she did not have the strength to begin a working relationship with someone from scratch. The thought of going through the grill of understanding Arnav and his working style and find a convenient way forward, was driving her crazy.

"What is the big deal about that man? He is just another guy... who cheats on his girls and moves from one to another... or atleast that is what I have heard. However, I don't quite believe the media. I myself have had about two marriages, ten affairs and one abortion for god sakes!!" Khushi laughed at the crazy gossip that media churned up for fodder.

"Ha ha... very funny! But seriously Khush, he is way too handsome and you are definitely going to be distracted. Anyways, I am glad that you are not interested in him because I for one am. Stay away from my guy and introduce him to me at the grand party after your boring conference, next week. I am invited right?" Sheetal teased Khushi again, yet there was a small underlain truth to it.

Khushi simply nodded at Sheetal, her dazed mind working through the glimpses and flashes of Arnav Singh Raizada, that she had encountered in the magazines and newspapers. As they walked back to their respective cars, Khushi rambled on about her plans for tomorrow's meeting and how she had decided to floor the Raizada heir with her ideas. The wine had done its job, making her happily buzzed as she smiled at the face flashing in her mind... a dark aviator guarding his enticing eyes, the flawlessly chiseled face, the impeccable gelled hair and that brilliant...  dazzling smile.

Part 2

Edited by mints23 - 8 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

sk2405 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
You give me the 1st chapter on the 14th Feb. Mera toh din and raat sab kuch ban gaya. πŸ˜ƒ

I like the character sketch because beyond and beneath everyone's character there is lot of love and unity. I also like the fact that she's not some hindi medium pass out who conveniently pronounces phone ko pone. Khushi is strong, mature and loving but at the moment she needs some strong distraction to help her come out of this 'low' phase in her life. She had very well deciphered the absence of 'chemistry' in NK and her relationship and had tried her best to put the same in front of everyone else too but unfortunately her observation was not really considered. Nevertheless, it's good to see the way she's maintained her professionalism at par with everything else.
Quotes for Khushi (meine nahi banae):
"Realize that if a door closed, it's because what was behind it wasn't meant for you." - This is for her to know she has someone better than NK awaiting her.

"When the pretty birds have flown,
And you feel hurt and alone,
Be strong and carry on,
And remember that life goes on." - This is for her to know that she did the best by letting go.

I don't really think NK was at a fault too. He simply decided to listen to his heart than getting into a chemistry-less and a love-less marriage. I hope there is a little more to his character as also with Lavanya's. It will be nice to see how their presence further affects her life.
And now coming to Sheetal. She'll never change haan! Show k time se iski aisi bigdi hui harkatein hi rahi hain (minus Aarav this time). Does the underlying truth hint towards something like Sheetal lusting over Arnav (It cannot be love).

I loved the detailed description of her office. There are so many questions right from the first chapter and I am sure you'll carry this one out perfectly! Bas abhi Updates jaldi dete rehna!

Waiting for the next part.
Update soon. πŸ˜Š
Edited by sk2405 - 9 years ago
smat thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Amazing start 
Looking forward to reading it 
maitricuteheart thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
lovely concept!!! would surely love to read more!!
Anu567 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

This story definitely has the zing! Welcome back for another story, Mints! Waiting!

Best,
lara3110 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 2 Thumbnail
Great start. Already loving it.  So Khushi is a businesswoman. Great... Very Interesting.πŸ‘
candyjan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Welcome back sweety
awesome concept
Plz continue soon
Divyahet thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Valentine's day to you too my Mitthadi.
Lovely start.
Will join here ASAP...
Till then take care..
Love hugs n kisses.