A Yudi -Arjuna OS (The farewellls-on Pg 10)

Posted: 9 years ago
To me you are...

Not just my eldest brother but my father, my guru...my lord

Arjuna Uvacha : (Arjuna Speaks)

So much has been written and explored on this forum about my relationships with Draupadi, with Subhadra, with Abhimanyu...but the one I cherished the most was the one I had with my revered brother  Yudhishthira. Though Maharishi Vyasa has hinted at a few places in his epic, no one has elaborated it so far. Here's just one instance from my recollections..

Maharishi Vyasa once paid us  a visit when were in exile. After blessing us he asked brother Yudhishthira to accompany him and the two of them disappeared for a while. Which was not surprising. Their discussions on dharma would often be beyond our understanding.

It was nearly dusk by the time brother Yudhishthira returned. Nakula and I were engaged in a wresting bout under brother Bhima's watchful guidance. Draupadi and Sahadev were enjoying our bout, shouting out encouragements.

When brother Yudhishthira arrived, we stopped our match and following him to the river, performed our evening sandhyavandana. I could sense that he was lost in thought and unusually grave. It seemed as if an unpleasant task was thrust upon him.

On our way back to our huts, Yudhishthira walked back silently, while Bhima was still coaching Nakula on the finer points of grips in wrestling. I wanted to ask brother what was troubling him, but decided to wait until after dinner. All that wrestling had whetted my appetite and I was hungry.

By the time we reached, Draupadi had, as usual, laid out five banana leaves for our dinner. After brother Yudhishthira seated himself, we too sat down. Draupadi was about to pick up the pot to serve us when brother Yudhishthira cleared his throat and spoke up, "Krishnaa...Arjuna is not supposed to eat tonight. Remove his leaf". I looked at brother, stunned. What mistake had I committed that I was being deprived of food?

Yudhishthira once again indicated to Draupadi to remove my leaf. I could sense Draupadi hesitating, unwilling to obey. Rather than wait for her, I stood up and began to walk away. It was not yet nightfall. Maybe I could gather some fruits

"Arjuna..." came brother's voice from behind

"Yes, brother?" I turned towards him

"You are not to eat without my permission" brother commanded

Shocked even more and feeling slightly humiliated, I managed to find my voice. "Yes, brother" I replied

Avoiding everyone's gaze, I went a little distance away and sat leaning against a tree, puzzled at brother's order. I could only come to the conclusion that I had unwittingly committed some crime and brother was making me atone for it. Otherwise there was no reason why I was not being allowed to eat. Trying to ignore my rumbling stomach and with all the humility I could muster, I apologized to that unknown being whom I had offended.

Sitting there, I lost all track of time, till I sensed Draupadi behind me. I could see the anguish in her eyes and reaching out to her wiped her tears.

"Have you eaten Krishnaa?" I asked, knowing very well she would not have.

She shook her head, unable to control her tears.

"Brother has ordered me not to eat, not you. Why are you going hungry" I remonstrated with her.

Draupadi broke down. "What is this strange order of your eldest brother, aryaputra?"

I leaned against the tree and closed my eyes, "I don't know, Krishnaa"

"Then why don't you ask him, lord?" she replied

I turned to her in surprise "How can I question him, Krishnaa, being the younger brother? I can only obey him implicitly. He has the authority to order me and I will follow him. That's how I have been...since our father's death, Krishnaa"

It was already late night. I led her back to our huts. Knowing that she too had not eaten I made her sit down and fed her the last few morsels that were left in the pot. Naturally, she refused, tears still flowing from her eyes. She kept on refusing, till I threatened her with dire consequences of disobeying a husband. It was not easy, watching my wife eat while my own stomach competed for attention.

Draupadi brought me a large pitcher of water which I drank to quell the hunger pangs and finally I lay down to sleep, wondering at brother Yudhishthira's  strange order and mentally apologizing for any mistake I may have committed.

to be continued...

Edited by varaali - 9 years ago
WOW didi  I never knew that you would come up with such a BEAUTIFUL FF β€οΈ love you didi πŸ€— & loved it to the core πŸ˜ƒ oh my sweet devarji Arjun loves his eldest brother so much 😊 loved Draupadi's reaction too πŸ‘πŸΌ please continue very soon, can't wait 😳
A-ha Sema... I was imagining only your reaction while writing this...A bigger surprise is awaiting you.

BTW...I am waiting for your FF to continue...
Really well written dearπŸ‘
I liked it very much⭐️
Your OS has brought out beautifully how much Draupadi loved Arjun...
Lets see how the story unfolds...
πŸ‘
Yudhishthir Uvacha (Yudhishthir speaks):

My dear Arjun, are you feeling very sad & surprised due to my behavior? That is very natural indeed, but you don't know how much sad I'm at this moment! I could not tell you so far exactly what Maharishi Vyasa asked me to do, as the fact of upcoming separation from you is hurting me severely! But I know that I have to obey Maharishi's words & have to send you for penance as well! Still I don't know how will I live without you, my dear brother! I can remember the previous 12 years when you had to accept exile only for my reason, now you are already in exile & this is time to be separated from your family once again! I am the only responsible for so much of sufferings in your life! You know, Arjun, I can't forgive myself for this!
Probably today I behaved a bit harsh with you, but you know what, I really want you to be angry with me! I can bear with everything but can never tolerate when you love & respect me so much even after I have made you suffer without any guilt! But I know that you will never become angry with me, whatever the situation be! I can't tell you how blessed I'm to get you as my brother!
Good one...πŸ‘πŸΌ...Urmila & Varali...Could u both just pm when u update next please...
Yipeee... 
you must be wondering why is she behaving like this but i am so glad that this os is on my two most fav characters πŸ˜ƒ
i guess arjun might have been the most obedient brother among all 4 pandavas πŸ˜³
and poor yudi he wants arjun to hate him & the worst part is that he helds himself responsible for all this πŸ˜­
cont soon πŸ€—
Edited by AadhyaAashutosh - 9 years ago
Great writing! Love how matter of fact Arjuna is about obeying , please pm me! 
Arjuna Uvacha (Arjun Speaks)

As the next day dawned, I was hoping the mystery would be solved. After our sandhyavandana, when I touched brother Yudhishthira's feet, as was my usual practice, I could sense more warmth in caress when he placed his hand on my head. But he was silent and I did not ask any questions. I never did.

Rather than embarrass the rest of the family with my presence, I remained outside when lunch time arrived. It was becoming more difficult to ignore the stomach. Would brother Yudhishthira permit me to eat now?

"Aryaputra..." Draupadi's voice called out to me..." You are being called inside"

The relief that I felt couldn't be described. Not at the thought of being able to eat, but the fact that my prayaschit...whatever it was supposed to be had come to an end.

As I entered, Draupadi relief evident on her face too, began laying out another banana leaf. Just when I was about to sit, brother Yudhishthira looked at me and spoke "Arjuna... I called you inside to serve us food...not to eat. As it is, you had disappeared when the Brahmins were eating..."

Mumbling an excuse I got up hastily. Yudhishthira indicated Draupadi to hand over the pot to me. Eyes already brimming with tears and hands trembling, Draupadi clutched the pot even more tightly. Not wanting to create a scene I literally snatched the pot from her hands and began serving food to my brothers.

An uncomfortable silence prevailed in the hut. The akshaya patra had truly lived up to its name and delicious smell wafting from the pot only made me more aware of my hunger. When I bent down to place food on brother Bhima's leaf, he lost his patience and angrily questioned Yudhishthira, "Brother, what is all this...?" Draupadi too began pleading, "Please aryaputra..."

I raised my hand to silence them. This was between me and brother Yudhishthira. If for some reason, my brother did not deem it fit for me to eat, so be it. I resumed serving the food. I got the impression that everyone wanted to finish their meal as fast as possible to reduce my discomfort.

After the meal, brother Yudhishthira left the hut silently. A shocked Draupadi was left looking at him. Handing over the pot to her and instructing her to eat, I too left the hut and headed for the lake. After a while, Draupadi came and applied some cool sandal paste on my forehead and stomach.

I joined Nakula for our usual evening wrestling bout but after more than a day of no food my body began to show signs and Nakula had the satisfaction of flooring me after the first round itself.

The next day, since my brother had already warned me, I made sure I was present during the brahmins' feeding and like the previous day helped Draupadi serve food to my brothers. After two days of no food, my hunger was impossible to ignore and I found all my thoughts were constantly centered around food only. Adding to my misery was the nagging thought of the unknown mistake I had commmitted.