Balika Vadhu

Anandi Shekhar and Saanchi Shekhar Kabra

I-Am-SherLOCKED thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Balika Vadhu is a show which talks of widow remarriage, divorce, women empowerment, woman education and woman independence.
Anandi Singh (Pratyusha) who is not able to come to terms with her husband Jagya's betrayal. She then educates and becomes a strong and independent woman and marries Shiv.
And becomes Anandi Shivraj Shekhar

Saanchi Shekhar, the spoilt brat who after being in a relationship with a loafer is raped and she marries his brother. And becomes Saanchi Vivek Kabra

What I don't understand is if they are changing so much, then why to they have to change their surnames as well? Why can't Anandi remain Anandi Singh and Saanchi be Saanchi Shekhar.

Anandi Shekhar tak theekh that but why Anandi SHIVRAJ Shekhar?

Women should keep their names after marriage!! Share your views!!

Love
Sharon
Edited by sharonroy - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nandita_Siddian thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
That is a very much valid topic sharon...👏
me too think the same...now a days many  girls do not change their surname even after their marriage ...Bv  also can show that ...😳

-poloenigma- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Yes, that's an interesting question. Like, 10 years down the line even if I get married I wouldn't want to change my surname & stuff and infact many women in the present age don't change their surnames after marriage , forget adding their husband's name to their last name . But Anandi comes from a traditional and conservative background where it is expected that after marriage the husband's name gets attached to girl's name. So Anandi Khajaan Singh (father's name) becomes Anandi Shivraj Shekhar (husband's name)
Originally posted by: Theepetronauss

Yes, that's an interesting question. Like, 10 years down the line even if I get married I wouldn't want to change my surname & stuff and infact many women in the present age don't change their surnames after marriage , forget adding their husband's name to their last name . But Anandi comes from a traditional and conservative background where it is expected that after marriage the husband's name gets attached to girl's name. So Anandi Khajaan Singh (father's name) becomes Anandi Shivraj Shekhar (husband's name)

Yeah I know that but when she has changed so much of the conservative family, name is no big deal!!
swathimanjula69 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree to that But if the woman is educated and she has to travel abroad embasy will make it clear that they should change their surnames. I think globally people are following this custom. hence. for Anandi Shivraj is her husband's name. naturally for legal enforcement it should be Anandi shivraj sekhar. to claim family pention or any other benefits God forbidden sudden demise of husband things will go normaly if the person has acquired such documents etc. Personally i prefer any woman should not change themselves for dignity. one should be proud of their roots not the newly arrived relatives
Awfulggt thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Agree Sharon. I think a girl shouldn't be changing her surname. It is funny when the wife's surname and unmarried sister's(of the guy) surname is same. It's like they are sisters , right? 
Missesha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I feel it would be good if a woman takes on her husband's surname. After all she is making a family with him and eventually their kids will take on the father's name as well, so why not all members of the family go by the same surname.
It will look more like a family instead of people having different surnames in the same household.

Also for legal purposes, travel, visa etc it is better to change the surname and obtain the right recognition.  Just a personal opinion. 

RainbowKitty thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Missesha

I feel it would be good if a woman takes on her husband's surname. After all she is making a family with him and eventually their kids will take on the father's name as well, so why not all members of the family go by the same surname.

It will look more like a family instead of people having different surnames in the same household.

Also for legal purposes, travel, visa etc it is better to change the surname and obtain the right recognition.  Just a personal opinion. 

i agree Though its a matter of personal choice but i think there is nothing conservative or backward if a woman changes her surname and takes on husband name All family having same surname make it more look like a family and for legal purposes it  is helpful too 
i won't make it into conservative if a woman takes on husband's name changing her surname I don't think Anandi , Ganga or Sanchi become backward because of it
Originally posted by: Missesha

You do have a point but for legal purposes, the maiden name is sufficient. 
And these days children hyphenate. I'll use myself as an example. My mother is a Christian and father a Hindu. So my surname is my father's : Roy. My name is Sharon and my mom's name is Veronica Naina. She just keeps her name as Veronica Naina (I dunno why she was named Naina).
My mom changed it to Veronica Naina Roy. In 1996, people would completely change their surnames but she kept hers. And I was christened Sharon Naina Roy. In 2014, there are many girls who don't change and even give their children their surname..
Hope they show that in BV soon!

I am sorry for using my own example!! 
kishmish123 thumbnail
I have not taken up my husband surname. I have travelled to 12 countries with him post marriage, I have bought joint property with him in India and I have my name without his surname in my child's birth certificate as well. 
So people who are saying ' legal reasons',  what legal reasons do you think you need husband's name for? 
I never tell anyone else to take or not to take up their husband's name. I think it's the woman's decision after all. Some women do find it important to change their surnames, which should be accepted by the brigade of 'dont-do-it-preachers' as well! But I think it was important to clarify that there is no legal reason to change your suname, at all. .