Harry Potter and the Return of Voldemort: edited the post on page 32 - Page 2

Posted: 9 years ago
Keep Reading and Commenting! And if you like my work, don't forget to press 'like' ðŸ˜ƒ

"I am glad you have met him at least once." Dumbledore replied him.

"You knew?" Hermione crossed her arms. "You knew and you didn't tell us?"

"What could I have said that would have made a difference?" Dumbledore frowned.

"It wouldn't have been an utter shock for one." Ron replied.

"And perhaps, we could have saved Neville and Hannah." Ginny added saying exactly what Harry had been thinking of.

"What does this have to do with them?" Dumbledore asked a little sharply and all four of them realized that Dumbledore had not attended today's DA meeting. He didn't know what Bolt had suddenly decided to share with the Army. Harry recounted Bolt's words for his benefit.

"How old is this boy?" Harry asked Dumbledore once he had finished.

Dumbledore who had been an intent listener until about a moment ago now looked up at Harry and X Rayed him through his half moon glasses. "What are you trying to imply Harry?"

"Nothing, until I know all that I need to about him." Harry replied back sternly.

Dumbledore fumed. "He turned 21 this July."

All four of them looked like they were going to throw something at Dumbledore who realized exactly what Harry had been trying to imply.

"I understand that there is much doubt about him in your hearts to detain him right now but if you trust me, if you have ever trusted me, you will give this boy a chance." Dumbledore waited to see their expressions turn to somewhat considerable and then continued. "According to Kingsley, all the weird things started happening 4 years ago and you think Tom's the one doing all this because he turned 17, 4 years ago, correct?"

"Do you have another explanation?" Harry asked hotly.

"No, I don't." Dumbledore replied calmly. "But that does not mean I will put two entirely unrelated events together and try to convict whoever I find convenient."

"What's that's supposed to mean?" Harry asked outrageously.

"That means, Harry, that just because you want someone to take responsibility for whatever's happening, does not mean you will convict anyone who is under the shadow of the slightest suspicion. Years before, you had the same perception about Severus Snape and you are doing the same today."

Harry opened his mouth to argue then realized that Dumbledore was probably right. On top of everything that had happened, the revelation of a boy named Tom Riddle, who happened to be Hogwarts' Deputy Head, whose age suggested his possible involvement in everything that had happened so far, had driven Harry to the verge of madness, to the borderline of hysteria, a place from where his return was seeming, at the moment, quite impossible. Yet, he had felt Dumbledore's dose of reality working for him the moment he had finished talking. His realization of his abrupt judgment had awoken him suddenly. He felt himself calming down and what came next was pain for losing the man and woman he had loved with all his heart. Tears welled up in his eyes and this time he didn't try to wipe them off, he let them flow letting his grief out finally as he sat down with his face in his hands.

"Tell us everything you know about him." Harry asked Dumbldore a few minutes later during which all four of them had settled themselves.

"According to what I have discovered about his past, he was born in London and as much as he had remembered he was an orphan. He lived in the orphanage by the age of nine and then his orphanage was closed due to lack of funds. For 2 years he worked as a labour and lived on streets and then he received the letter to Hogwarts. He had since then enjoyed a comfortable life. He has no idea who he belongs to."

"And you didn't find that story suspicious at all?" Hermione asked sharply.

"I am telling you what I know of him, I never said I believed any of it." Dumbledore turned her twinkling eyes on her and she flushed a slight shade of pink. "Why are you all trying to make sure he is the one behind all this?"

"May be, because, he is." Ron replied angrily.

"Why do you trust him?" Ginny asked him curiously. It wasn't easy for anyone to gain Dumbledore's trust. Voldemort hadn't been able to do it, not even when he was at school.

For the first time in their entire conversation Dumbledore smiled. "Now that is a question I had been waiting for. I thought none of you would bother asking but I was wrong. At least one of you is thinking rationally."

Harry who was a moment ago feeling as if he was in a living nightmare now started listening intently. Now, he wanted to know exactly why Dumbledore trusted this boy even when they didn't. "So, why do you trust him?" He asked emphasizing Ginny's question.

"I have observed him for 11 years, Harry. I have seen him grow up from a little boy to a very graceful young man, exactly, perhaps, like you." Dumbledore stopped to see all their faces very attentive and he wanted to convey to them everything that he had come to know of this boy over the years. "When he had come to Hogwarts he had been uncared for, starved, and starving for love. He accepted Hogwarts like his home and enjoyed not only its benefits but also shared his obligations towards it. He has shown true loyalty towards the Castle, to his teachers, to his friends and even to those who are not as kind to him as they ought to be.

It is true, that I do not know much about where he comes from but I do know who he is. He has given this place his heart, and he should have nothing less in return."

All four of them stared at him all the while he had spoken. The moment he had finished, Ron spoke up. "Harry, do you think portraits can be confunded?"

Edited by Periopaque - 9 years ago

Dumbledore rolled his eyes at them. "Perhaps, Mr. Weasley does not believe me but do you believe me, Harry?" Dumbledore turned to Harry who looked very confused.

He had been told more or less the same about Tom Riddle by Professor Dutchmen as well but he didn't know what to believe anymore. "Would you believe me, if you were in my place?"

Dumbledore simply stared at him. "No." He answered finally. "But I implore you to give him an opportunity to show you who he truly is."

Harry nodded and Dumbledore saw confidence in Harry's eyes that he would keep his word.

Harry and Ginny finally descended into Harry's underground room as Ron and Hermione went looking for the Caretaker to guide them to theirs. Harry had just changed into his muggle clothes and was standing by his window when he saw something. Tom Riddle was walking Professor Dutchmen out of the Castle. They were walking out of the grounds in a stroll as if neither wanted the gates to come and to leave the other.

The moment they reached the gates, however, both realized that this was the end of their journey together. Professor Dutchmen put one withered hand on Tom Riddle's head in blessing and in that moment Harry saw what he had not expected to see. He saw Tom Riddle's eyes swimming with tears and he fell into the old man's embrace as if he didn't want to let him go. Professor Dutchmen allowed himself to be hugged so solemnly by the boy he had always considered a son, then pulled him away, squeezed his shoulders one last time in an effort to comfort him and left.

Tom Riddle stood by the gate staring after him with such longing in his eyes, with such pain for loss that Harry could not think of a reason to hate a soul like him. Was Dumbledore right? Did they really, have yet, to discover who he really was?

Ron and Hermione had been looking for the caretaker ever since they had left Harry's office, however, they had been quite unsuccessful. They had been searching the Castle for 15 minutes, they had even sent him a patronus but he hadn't turned up.

"Maybe we should ask Porch, he might know where we'll find this caretaker." Ron suggested. Both of them were on their way to Porch's hut when Tom Riddle was walking back inside the Castle.

"Professors, where are you going?" He asked them.

Both of them exchanged looks. "We were hoping Porch could help us find the caretaker." Hermione replied sternly.

He understood. Duds had been hiding since the feast, they wouldn't find him no matter how hard they tried because he didn't want to be found. "He wasn't feeling very well before the feast, perhaps, he's still resting. What do you need him for? I can help you." He didn't want Duds worried anymore than he already was. If he didn't want to reveal himself yet, he wouldn't force him, he knew what it felt like to be someone that you were sure would not be trusted.

"No, thanks, we'll find our own way." Ron replied him hurriedly turning away from him.

Tom had frozen where he stood. They knew. They knew something about him, how could they not? They were Harry Potter's best friends, they had to know. He gulped down. He had never been treated so rudely by anyone at Hogwarts, save a few who were habitually quite unkind. Yet, it was his job to help them out, since, he knew Duds wouldn't.

"Are you looking for your room?" He asked them before they had managed to disappear up the stairs.

"Yes." Hermione replied finally stopping and pulling Ron with her.

"The East tower, third door to your right, 2nd floor, It was occupied by Neville before you." He replied from where he stood. He had realized they were not comfortable with his nearness.

They nodded and left.

He had been right, he was their worst nightmare come true. He would have to be careful.

CHAPTER 6

DOUBTS AND SUSPICIONS

The next morning, Harry called Ron, Hermione and Ginny into his office before they started taking classes. He had finally made a decision regarding Tom Riddle.

"We ought to give him a chance."

"Why?" Hermione asked him still on edge.

"Because, Dumbledore trusts him?" Ginny asked.

"That and because I saw something last night that sort of proves Dumbledore's words and those of Professor Dutchmen's." Harry explained what he had seen out of his bedroom window as best he could.

"But don't you see, Harry, this exactly proves who he's like! Don't you remember what Voldemort was like when he was at school? He had won the hearts of several of his teachers as well and look how he turned out the minute he left this place!" Hermione argued still not ready to wait.

Harry understood exactly what she meant but he just wanted to give this boy a chance. Besides, they didn't have a single evidence against him, what could they do to him?

"What do you suggest we do to him, Hermione. We have no proof of his involvement in any of this." Harry finally gave her something rational to think about.

"His name's enough of an evidence. The only reason no one's ever noticed it is because no one ever knew. Dumbledore was the only one who had deduced that the boy named Tom Riddle had fashioned himself as Lord Voldemort and he told us. We know the truth about his name and something tells me, so does he. He's lied about where he comes from."

"How would you know for sure?" Harry asked feeling like he was being cornered very intelligently by Hermione.

"Not for sure, but I know. We met him last night."

"When?"

"When we were looking for the caretaker." Ron replied. "He asked us if he could help us out. But we told him we'd be fine on our own. You should have seen his face, Harry. He knew exactly why we didn't want his help."

"It's still just a feeling, Ron." Harry replied knowing quite well that deductions would not lead them anywhere. "We need proof."

"Fine, I'll get you proof, alright." Hermione replied fuming.

"What are you planning on doing?" asked Harry.

"I am keeping an eye on him, who else is with me?" She asked turning angrily to Ron.

"It's not about taking sides but I too think that keeping an eye on him is a good idea." Ron replied her calming her down.

"So do I." Ginny said looking at Harry.

"Alright." Harry nodded. "Just be careful, all of you. Don't let him know he's being followed."

As Ron, Hermione and Ginny left to take classes, Harry turned to Dumbledore's portrait and called him. It again took several calls to get Dumbledore to see him.

"Where do you keep disppearing to?" Harry asked quite frustrated.

"I keep visiting the Fat Lady frequently." Dumbledore winked at him.

Harry smiled. "Where is she? James told me she has been removed from the Gryffindor tower."

"Yes, after several complaints from students of having their ears blown off due her loud voice, Professor Dutchmen had to pull her off."

"More like, peel her off." Harry injected.

"Yes, but, well, those who were not tired of her, didn't want her discarded. Someone kept her in their room." Dumbledore smiled with his eyes twinkling behind his half moon spectacles.

"Let me guess, Tom Riddle?"

"Yes."

"And that is why you visit her. You keep an eye on him, at all times, don't you?" asked Harry comprehension dawning upon him.

"Yes, how else would I trust him?"

Harry understood. "So, the night Neville and Hannah died..."

"He was here, in the Castle, asleep."

Harry sighed with relief but then something else occurred to him.

"He does not know anyone outside the confines of this Castle." Harry had only just opened his mouth to say that may be someone was working with him or for him but Dumbledore has answered his unasked question.

"How do you know that?"

"He never leaves the Castle, Harry. Not even to go to the bank. The Castle provides him with all that he needs. If he has to buy anything, he sends a school owl with his details, he never even goes to Gringotts save once when he had to, to open an account, after receiving his first salary."

"And that was four years ago." Harry folded his arms.

Dumbledore rolled his eyes. "What do I have to tell you to make you believe him, Harry?"

"Tell me, that you followed him to Gringotts and back, tell me that you can account for every single second of his life, then perhaps, I could trust your word about him."

"I cannot do that. Look," Harry had again opened his mouth to say something when Dumbledore cut him short. "I do not deny that there are no anomalies here. His name, his shady past, his sudden disappearances, his nightmares--_"

"Wait, what?!" This time Harry cut him short. Dumbledore had not mentioned any disappearances or nightmares before. "What disappearances and nightmares?"

Dumbledore sighed. He had not meant to blurt out everything in one go. He wanted Harry to be thinking rationally not jumping to conclusions.

"Every once in a while, he leaves the Castle unaccounted for but it is not frequent."

"And you still believe him? Dumbledore, when you knew about him, why didn't you tell us? You could not have followed him everywhere but we could have kept an eye on him."

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "Yes, perhaps I trusted him too much. I had no idea of the occurrences that were taking place for four years. Previously, Tom's errands didn't mean much but now, perhaps, they do.

The only reason I hid all of it from you Harry was that I did not want your life to be disturbed with something so harmless. Afterall, what would a boy of 11 do? And then I waited to see how he would turn out and he turned out much better than what his name suggested. Then I felt, when he turned 17, that I ought to tell you, because now he would leave. But he never left. He stayed and he stayed right in front of me. All I did, Harry, was trust him. If I had known that your knowing of him would prevent the loss of Neville's and Hannah's lives, I would have told you about him."

Harry nodded. They were all human cursed to be flawed. Dumbledore was no different. Harry should not have been that harsh with him. "I am sorry. I was so shocked to see him. It was as if my past had come back to haunt me."

Dumbledore should not have let his feelings get the best of him, he should have been prudent. "Harry, you can keep an eye on him. Find out where he goes to when he's not here."

Harry nodded. "What did you mean by the nightmares?" He had to know everything about him.

"He has those, sometimes."

"Has he ever described any?"

"Not once, but they are certainly not pleasant. He wakes up sweating and worried and doesn't dare sleep afterwards. It is as if, these dreams scare him."

Harry nodded. He wanted to know more. His curiosity about this boy was ever growing. "Did you ever see him with Neville?"

Dumbledore smiled widely. "When did I ever see him without Neville? That was the right question, Harry. They were very close. That is the very reason, I never believed Tom to be the culprit. He could never even think of harming either of them."

Harry who was listening intently realized something. "If that is the case, then he ought to have been at their funeral. He wasn't at their funeral."

"He had fainted at the news of their demise. Porch had laid him down in his room before leaving for the funeral. He had awoken quite late. But he did leave. Perhaps, you missed him in the crowd."

"No, I didn't. But I think I know why I didn't see him. He must have been disillusioned. He was hiding from me, on the day of the funeral. I looked for the Deputy everywhere but I couldn't find him. Later, I saw him standing in Neville's office. He had left then as well in quite a hurry. He knows, I know about him. Perhaps, he knows you know about him as well. That is why he has been discreet with you too. All of this, although, does not prove him guilty but it does prove that he is hiding something. All we need to find out is, what is it that he's hiding?"

Dumbledore, though nodded to Harry, couldn't stop himself worrying about Tom. Whatever other secrets may linger him, one of the secrets he was keeping was known by everyone other than Harry. Perhaps, it was time Harry found out. If he would tell Harry, perhaps, Tom wouldn't have to protect his friend. But then, how could Dumbledore do it until the person in question himself was ready to tell Harry.

*****************************************************************************************

"Tom, wake up!" Tom awoke at the voice of a very worried Porch and crouching in his chair beside him, Duds.

"What's happened?" He asked hurriedly sitting up.

"Nothing's happened yet." Porch replied summoning a platter full of sweets from the kitchens. "But it might if he doesn't start breathing soon." He motioned towards Duds who was crouching into his chair.

Tom bent down. "Duds? Do you hear me?" He asked a very lost Duds to no reply whatsoever. "What's wrong?" He asked Porch standing up again.

"He is scared that Harry will run into him if he stays in the castle or either come looking for him in his room." Porch replied.

"I know." Tom answered dead concerned for him. "That's why he's been in your cottage since Harry Potter's arrival."

"Yes, but I am dead sure that Harry will visit me today, in fact, everyday for as long as he's here. Hence, he can't stay with me."

"Can I stay with you?" Duds had nearly whimpered when he had looked up at Tom to ask him.

Tom stared at him a minute. He would have been more than happy to keep Duds with him if it were to any avail but he knew sooner or later Harry Potter would want to search his room. Duds would definitely be caught if he stayed in his room but he couldn't explain any of that to either of them. He had to find another way around this. 

"Sure, but you'll have to stay disillusioned."

Duds nodded.

"You have to do it." Tom turned to Porch.

"Why?" Porch asked.

Tom stared at him. What was he going to tell him now? He gave it a thought. He had known the two of them for years and they had known of several aspects of his extraordinary powers, and now they were more aware of it than ever when he had been placed as Deputy Hogwarts on the recommendation of the previous Headmaster himself. What if he told them a little more? What difference would it make?

"Because, that way I'd be able to see him."

"No, you wouldn't be." Porch smiled. No one could see through disillusionment charms.

"Yes, I would be. I can only not see through my own. That is why, you need do it." Tom answered his unasked question surprising him even more.

At his look of utter surprise, Tom understood that perhaps he had let on more than he should have. He had unintentionally answered his unasked question, a question that Tom had heard loud and clear. To him minds not protected by occlumency were completely open.

The next thing he felt was Porch's mind closing out on him. He was shutting himself out to Tom. After a very awkward moment he spoke. "Alright, I'll do it." He wiped out his wand and disillusioned Duds.

"Now, will you eat something?" Tom turned back to Duds who clumsily reached out for a piece of cake and took a minute bite to satisfy his concerned glare.

After Tom had freshened up for the day, him and Porch left the room to give Duds some space and anyways both of them had work to do.

The moment Porch bid him a good day and turned the corner, Tom came face to face with Hermione Granger. He stared at her a moment. She was standing right in front of him and staring at him a little strangely and at the moment quite alarmingly. He suddenly realized something and looked away from her immediately. She did not stop him, nor did she call out to him. That only meant one thing, she was disillusioned. That was why she had been staring at him avidly. What a fool he was! He had stared straight into her face for much longer than a moment before realizing this possibility. She was bound to be sure that he could see her while she was disillusioned.

Hermione who had decided to keep an eye on him was intent on utilizing her first unit of the day, a free one, to follow Tom Riddle around the Castle. Dumbledore had said he would keep an eye on him inside his room, but he couldn't follow him outside of it. Hermione would not mind doing that. She had, therefore, disillusioned herself and made straight to her room and had suddenly found him standing right in front of her and staring right into her face. Was that even possible? Had he really seen through her disillusionment charm?

He had turned away and was walking away from her. She followed but on the way waved in front of just about anyone that came her way but no one gave the slightest hint that they could see her. Even she could not see herself.

Tom turned around slightly to see if he was still being followed and sure enough, Hermione Granger, although waving at everyone she came across, was still following him. Poor her. She was making sure if she was invisible to everyone or not.

He had just turned a corner into a deserted corridor still looking over his shoulder when he ran into someone or someone pushed him so hard he fell backwards on his back. Someone had nearly rammed their shoulder into his chest so hard that he hadn't been able to stay on his own two feet. He saw Hermione Granger stop short beside him, apparently shocked at what she was seeing.

He looked up expecting a courteous apology on the way but what came next was completely unexpected. He was pulled off the floor by his collar and rammed into the wall. He would have been supporting a broken nose if he hadn't caught the flying hand of the person that stood before him, about to throw a punch at him.

Now, he could see who had pushed him down. It was Malcolm, his worst rival at Hogwarts, since day one. Actually, more of a bully who thought he was his rival. Tom let go of his hand.

He took a deep breath getting his composure back. "Guests, at Hogwarts, are treated very respectfully. Do not compel me to break that tradition."

"We are as much 'guests' in this Castle as you are." A very familiar and unwanted voice answered him as its owner approached them.

Tom closed his eyes in utter frustration. This was the worst start-of term, he had ever had. "Seth, how could I have forgotten, you two still haven't divorced each other." His cheek earned him a hard punch in the ribs by the bulky Malcolm.

Tom was about to slide right down on the marble when Seth grabbed him by his collar and pulled him up. "Aren't you going to welcome us?"

Tom focused on his shrewd black eyes. He grabbed his collar with both hands and was about to throw a punch of his own into his face when his eyes fell behind Seth over at Hermione Granger and what he saw next made him let go of Seth. She had pulled out her wand the moment she had seen him grab Seth's collar. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. Her wand was not pointed at either Malcolm or Seth, it was pointed at him. What did she think he was going to do? Kill them?

Hey there,

Don't forget to comment!!😊

The moment Tom let go he was met with even angrier Malcolm and Seth. Seth kicked him hard in the ribs, this time, allowing him to fall. "Spineless!"

Malcolm took the opportunity to thrown another kick into his chest.

"Hey!" Someone was running toward them with heavy footfalls. Their arrival finally allowed him to take a breath. Both Seth and Malcolm had fled the instant they had heard the voice.

It was Porch. He had turned into this corridor to find Tom sprawled on the floor and Malcolm and Seth making the most of it.

He helped Tom back to his feet.

"Are you alright?" He asked him straightening his shirt.

"Yes." Tom answered taking deep breaths. He was hurting. He looked at Hermione Granger slyly who was still observing the scene but had now pocketed her wand. He still couldn't believe that she hadn't even tried to help him, instead, she had been ready to curse him if he tried to hurt the two of them.

For the first time in his life, he was wishing he couldn't see through disillusionment charms.

"Are you sure?" Porch asked peeking into his shirt. "You're bruised." He added not waiting for his reply. He had seen the bruise on his chest through the open buttons of his shirt.

"I am fine." Tom replied, finally getting proper control over his voice. He buttoned up his shirt completely. "I have a class to take." He said walking away from Porch.

"Wait, I came looking for you, to give you this." Porch stopped him, holding out an open letter to him.

Tom was hardly in a mood to read anything. "What is it?"

Porch already knew he was in a bad mood, so without a question, kept answering him. He would talk later, if he would want to. "A letter from Dutchmen."

"What does it say?"

Porch hesitated a moment but realized, someone had to break the bad news to him. He had obviously, come across the worst of it already. This was only a confirmation. "Seth and Malcolm have been hired as librarians."

"Splendid." Tom snatched the letter, tore it to pieces and burnt it to ash, then walked right past Porch to take his class.

Still followed by Hermione Tom entered into his classroom already occupied by third year Gryffindors and Ravenclaws. His chest was still throbbing with pain but he cleared his throat, put up a smile and greeted them warmly.

Hermione who felt she had seen more than enough turned around on her heel towards Harry's office.

"Enter." Harry called out at her knock.

Hermione entered removing the disillusionment charm at the same time, shutting the door behind her. She pulled out the chair in front of Harry's desk and slumped down in it.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked her.

"Yes." She replied.

"What's happened then?"

"You won't believe what I saw, Harry."

Harry had understood that she had been tailing Tom by the very fact that she had disillusioned herself but he hadn't expected her to find anything against him so soon.

"What did you see?"

"He is such a complete liar. He is well-versed at keeping secrets."

"What secrets? Hermione, tell me exactly what you've seen."

"I was following him when he ran into the new librarians or more like the new librarians ran into him on purpose."

"Is he alright?" asked Dumbledore who had only moments before seen the new librarians in this office and who knew exactly who they were and what their arrival here meant for Tom.

"Why wouldn't he be?" Harry asked confused.

"How did you know he wouldn't be?" Hermione asked quite surprised at Dumbledore's guesswork.

"It is more experience than guesswork." Dumbledore replied her intelligently. "Seth Humphry and Malcolm Morris were not very kind to Tom during their time here as students. They were bullies much like Malfoy , Crabbe and Goyle back in your day."

"Isn't Seth Humphry Robert Humphry's younger brother?" Harry asked.

"Yes, and that is the only nice thing about him."

Harry nodded. "So, what do they have against Tom?"

Dumbledore launched into a careful explanation, "Tom has always had extraordinary powers that allowed him to provide strong protection to the Castle, powers that put him in the position he is.

Seth and Malcolm both had a knack of using their wandwork on other weaker students. Tom had been their target since day one, but due to his extraordinary powers all their petty wandwork was deflected back on to them. So, they got used to trusting their limbs when they were bullying him. Tom, although capable of, never tried cursing them.

When he was in his fourth year, young porch arrived at Hogwarts, quite out of place, being the half giant he is. He was another target to them. One day when he had been cornered by them, Tom came across them. Porch's giant skin protected him from most curses but he was not impervious to pain. He was 11 and a couple of 14 year old boys were punching and kicking the hell out of him.

Tom could not stand it. He presented himself to the duo as a replacement for Porch to protect him but bullies are bullies. They jumped both of them. Tom, who had grown up being punched and prodded by them took it quietly, but Porch, he finally gave in and tears leapt down his eyes in mere pain.

As Lavender described it, Tom's actions were only a violent reaction to the situation but Tom never forgave himself for the accident.

In an attempt to fend off Seth and Malcolm he had produced a shield charm so powerful that both of them had been blown into the wall and through it to the other side. Both had broken just about every bone in their body, their heads had cracked open and they were a bloodied mess.

The teachers had arrived upon a very scary scene. A first year crouching in a corner, two fourth years in a bloodied heap and the final fourth year standing upon the scene with his wand out covered in their blood.

When Porch had verified his story and everyone had concluded that this was a mere accident, Tom was let off the hook but since then he has never drawn out his wand for any sort of a duel or with any intention to hurt anyone.

Once, Seth and Malcolm had fully recovered Tom went to them to apologize to them. His apology was, obviously, discarded. Apparently, Seth and Malcolm hadn't forgiven him either.

They beat him down again and for all I know, as long as they graduated, they never let a chance leave to take supposed revenge for nearly killing them.

They only good thing that happened that day was that Tom found a new friend in the form of Porch. By his second year, Porch was twice either of their sizes and they stayed away from Tom when he was accompanied by Porch.

When Dutchmen had called them for interview it had been as a last resort. No one was available for this position. They were his last minute hire."

"So, Dutchmen knew how brutal they are to him?" Hermione asked uneasily. 

"No, no. I got to see the larger picture because I followed him around the Castle through the portraits. Dutchmen and the rest of the teachers were only aware of the enmity that existed between them. They were aware that they wouldn't be able to work together." Dumbledore answered her, observing her closely, then added, "But I believe you have seen some of what I have told you judging by your explicit use of the word brutal'. In that connection it is high time you answer my question, is he alright?'"

Harry turned to Hermione too. "Hermione, is he?"

Hermione gulped down. She had just stood there, she ought to have helped him.

"No, not really. They sort of ambushed him. But he didn't even fight back. Forget pulling out a wand, he didn't even throw back a punch. They would have sent him to the Hospital Wing bleeding if Porch hadn't turned up to help him. They fled the moment they saw him."

"A few minutes ago you were not very kind about the entire situation, might I ask why?" It was Dumbledore's turn to be sarcastic.

Hermione flushed a dark shade of pink. "That's because I followed him to his class afterwards, he took a deep breath, smiled and greeted his class as if nothing of the sort had just happened to him. Who, but a world-class liar, could achieve that?"

"He does have secrets, nobody is denying that, but that does not mean that everything he is, is flawed." Dumbledore answered her icily. He had too understood that Hermione had merely stood upon the scene and had not helped him at all.

"I am sorry. If only I knew he would not harm them, perhaps, I would have interfered." She said defensively to Dumbledore. "But that's not all that happened. There's something else too. There was a moment when I was sure he could see through my disillusionment charm."

Dumbledore suddenly remembered he hadn't told Harry about that. "Ahem." Dumbledore coughed uncomfortably before saying anything and received their sole attention. "That is, because, he could see through your disillusionment charm. It's a part of his extraordinary powers."

"What?!" Hermione stood up as did Harry.

"Why didn't you tell us before?" Harry asked.

"I found out only this morning. If I had known before I would have told you."

"Who else knows?"

"Porch and I. That's about it." Dumbledore replied not meeting Harry's eyes. He couldn't, of course, tell him about Duds.

"He knew." Hermione suddenly said drawing both Harry's and Dumbledore's attention. "He knew he was being followed. He saw me right up close and I think I know now why didn't he even punch Seth back."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because he saw me. He saw me pull out my wand on him. I saw the bewilderment on his face at the idea that I was ready to curse him if he tried hurting the two of them but I felt that wouldn't be possible because he couldn't see me. Now you're telling me he could."

"Whatever the case Hermione, he shouldn't be able to do everything that he can. Who's following him next?"

"Ron."

Harry pulled open his desk drawer and pulled out his silvery cloak from inside of it. "Give him this." Nothing can trump the power of the Hallow.

Hermione nodded and left.