.x-bumblebee-x. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Veteran actor Zohra Sehgal passed away in New Delhi on Thursday.

Sehgal, 102, had started her career as dancer with Uday Shankar in 1935. She has appeared in many Bollywood films as a character actor as well as in English language films and television series.

Sehgal, who was also known as the grand old lady of Bollywood, last appeared in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Saawariya in 2007.

A Padma Shri awardee was also awarded the Padma Vibhshan in 2010.

She had acted in many films including Veer-Zara, Saaya, Cheeni-Kum, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.

She also has many Hollywood movies to her credit which includes The Vengeance of She, Tales that Witness Madness, Never Say Die, Little Napoleons and Bend It Like Beckham.

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/zohra-sehgal-passes-away/1/370736.html

Edited by .x-bumblebee-x. - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

she was very entertaining and comical in films like saawariya great actor may her soul rest in peace
Edited by DB_reloaded - 9 years ago
.Bongsookie. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
RIP Zohra ji.

I loved her in Cheeni Kum.
.x-bumblebee-x. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
There is something about Zohra. As she talks, the creases across her face tighten. Her eyes glimmer in delight and mischief. Her hand move animatedly, as if trying to make a point by themselves. That is Zohra Sehgal for you, the quintessential Bollywood diva. She may be at the other side of 100, but her zeal and enthusiasm for life would put a 20 year old to shame.

Born on the April 27, 1912, Zohra is an Indian actor and dancer. Born Sahibzadi Zohra Begum Mumtaz-ullah Khan in a traditional Muslim family in Sahranpur, Uttar Pradesh, she was sent to Lahore to pursue her higher education. "I was never a Pakistani. I was always an Indian," said the 102 year young lady in an interview with ANI, a few years back. Her journey from India to Pakistan and back again, encapsulated the entire Indian freedom struggle. She was a witness to the partition and it pained her a lot, she said.

Acting and dance came naturally to Zohra, after all Uzra Butt, a leading lady with Prithvi theatre, was her sibling. Trained in ballet, the woman was and continues to be a born charmer. "Ballet was difficult at the beginning, but I wanted to learn it," said Zohra said in an interview in 2012. She started off her journey with Uday Shankar's dance troupe and has today completed over eight decades of her journey in the industry.

Love came calling when she met Kameshwar Sehgal. The man was a scientist, but his penchant for art is what brought them close. The Hindu boy from Indore, was eight years younger than Zohra. Reluctant to get married, Zohra took time to realise she couldn't live without Kameshwar. Marriage was imminent. In the year 1942, as India fought the Quit India movement, the couple tied the knot. However their togetherness was short lived. After Kameshwars's death in 1952, Zohra knew she had to raise her kids by herself.

Travelling to England to pursue her acting career was a choice that was the most sensible decision she made in her life. The Raj Quartet, The Jewel in the Crown, Tandoori Nights, My Beautiful Laundrette etc. came along. Over the last few years, she dabbled in numerous Bollywood movies too. Her performances in 'Cheeni Kum' alongside Amitabh Bachchan, 'Dil se' alongside Shahrukh Khan and Manisha Koirala, 'Veer-Zara', 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam', 'Dillagi', 'Bend it Like Beckham', 'Sawariya' and many more, were widely appreciated. Zohra, though approached for a slew of films even later, decided she had to stop; after all she was ageing.

"I would have loved to be a beauty when I was younger. I was flat chested, big bottomed, dark skinned and not even appealing. I was mischievous and was nothing less than a prankster," Sehgal had previously claimed. Even though she regretted doing lot of things, she agrees these mistakes were her best teachers.

As she ushered in her 102nd birthday on Sunday, she admits she is truly blessed.Settled now in Delhi, the agnostic believes the only tragedy in her life would be that the sex-spurred, mystery novels will now have to rest in her shelf (Her eyesight is dwindling). The feet that would once dance across stages and the eyes that could once express any emotion, now move in a different tune. They may not be as crisp and as they once they used to be, but she awaits her future, with a wide smile.

There is more to do, more to live - Zohra Sehgal

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-zohra-sehgal-the-102-year-young-legacy-1983051

Edited by .x-bumblebee-x. - 9 years ago
Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
She was atheist. So I am confused. Should I pray for her mercy since its forbidden but just for humanity sake I pray for her mercy. RIP. 
DriftInfinitely thumbnail
RIP...she was an amazing actress.
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
May she RIP. She always lighted up the screen in every movie she was in. Not many live to see 102. God bless her soul. Thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. A big loss in the industry.
BanBB thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Expressionist (October 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 8
rest in peace
she was an amazing actress
atominis thumbnail
RIP.
Zohra Sehgal was amazing in her films and TV shows. Such zest even at old age. Just few years ago she celebrated her 100th birthday with such fervour. A life well lived.
Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
RIp.. Died in the blessed month