Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bm11 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Chapter I

7 years ago

A sudden sound of explosion cut the silence of the night. The brakes squealed and a car took off like a huge bird and after a short flight' landed crashing a tree growing near the road...

'I'd like to speak to Mr. Agnihotri?'

'Yes, I'm listening.'

'Sir, it's the Police Inspector Sharma. I'm sorry for the late call but it's an urgent business. When did you last see you son Mr. Shlok Agnihotri.  Do you know where he is?'

'Actually last time I saw him in the morning.  He's not at home now... What's wrong?'

'There was an accident, Sir...'

'What? What kind of accident? Is my son all right?'

'Sir, the situation looks quite complicated and you'd better come here right now. Taking into account your social status and possible consequences it's urgent... Please hurry up, write down the address...'

'I'll be in 10 minutes.'

Niranjan Agnihotri had witnessed car accidents before but it was the first time he came so close to the site. Three police cars and a line of gawkers whom the police tried to herd away with a yellow barrier tape. The closer the father came the louder his heart was beating. When he saw an ambulance his hands started shaking.

'Mr. Agnihotri? I'm Inspector Sharma. I called you... Nasty business, Sir, looks like your son's driving skills suddenly deserted him and... a girl was killed. Your son is alive and conscious but in shock. The car crashed into a tree and the girl went through the windshield. Instant death due to multiple fractures and brain damage...'

'Where's Shlok?'

'In an ambulance with the girl... I mean with her body.'

Niranjan ran towards the ambulance and saw Shlok inside. He was holding girl's hand and kept swinging like a pendulum frozen for an instance before the next cycle began. Then the smell of alcohol reached his nose.

'Shlok!!! It's me. Are you okey? '

'Oh, father. They asked me about the family members they could call and I gave them Varad's and your name. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry for everything. I'm ok but Swati is not. I killed her with my own hands.'

Varad's name coming first wasn't left unnoticed. Niranjan was well aware of the fact that at least two policemen were nearby and were quite curious about their conversation. He stopped Shlok from further revelations. He has already grasped the whole picture. The situation looked like that: millionaire's son killed a poor girl in an accident. Oh, one correction - drunk millionaire's son killed a poor girl in an accident. In three hours it would be in every newspaper.

What would be the consequence? No need to be a fortune-teller to predict. His image alongside with his empire which he had been building year after year with his blood and sweat would be destroyed even quicker than a cracker would blow. Mr. Niranjan Agnihotri has learned several lessons in his life. Some of these lessons nearly shattered him and his business but exactly those lessons revealed him the principles of Life. He liked to rule his life himself and had no desire to be beaten by the failures or misfortunes he wasn't even responsible for. He used to make decisions quickly; that was his forte. This time wasn't an exception.

'Inspector Sharma, may I have a word?'

'Sir?'

'How many people saw my son was driving?'

'Actually, it happened without any witnesses. When we arrived the girl was outside the car already dead. Your son was sitting beside the girl. He was saying something but due to the shock and his alcohol intoxication it was not quite clear. Why are you asking?'

'I'm a farther and a businessman. Do you understand me? I need a favor from you, Inspector...'

Edited by bm11 - 9 years ago
bm11 thumbnail

Chapter II

Disappointment was the emotion Mr. Niranjan Agnihotri has learned to avoid. He has never expected much from people but his sons were his weak point. He has always been eagerly expecting more than reality presented him. He was lonely, his wife died when boys were at their teens. His elder son Varad, calm, reserved but firm, has been conquering the castles of life with his own persistence. He chose another path in life many years ago. He preferred not to mention his name without need. Niranjan had serious grounds to believe his son's choice was closely connected to Niranjan himself.  Truly we don't choose parents but we can learn from them regardless whether we accept their vision or not. But Varad thought otherwise staying away from the family except for Shlok, the younger brother. The brothers used to be friends as children, totally different and totally close at the same time. Time hasn't changed the connection between the siblings. The connection grew stronger, became frank and sincere; this trust proved to be unbreakable with the course of time. 

The younger son was the concentration of hope if Mr. Niranjan Agnihotri could ever experience that emotion. He felt bitter regret his rebellious son was wasting his life which apparently was really short. That Swati girl was a perfect example of that eternal truth. Highly emotional Shlok could shine and give warmth out like the sun or he could freeze you to death with his arrogance. Gifted in many spheres he didn't bother to choose his road and was drifting on the waves of the never-ending ocean of life full of pleasures. Haughty aristocratic Agnihotri at one time and romantic idealist at the other: this controversy in him was adored by women who followed him with obssessive perseverance. He loved life and people. That was the usual way of things till that girl showed up. Excessive control never let the Emperor Agnihotri down. He sensed the changes in his son's behavior instantly. The reason of changes was a girl; "cherchez la femme" just as he thought. His son was in love; Niranjan could see it with utmost clarity. There were only two problems he couldn't ignore. First, she was penniless. That wasn't a sin and could be forgiven by the God but there was the problem number two - she wasn't trustworthy and that exact thing bothered the father like a feather stuck in clothes. Two phone calls brought clarity to the situation. Unfortunately, the girl died before the father could explain steps made for his son's protection...

Niranjan went to his son's room being fully prepared for the impulsive emotional outburst Shlok was so famous for. What he found was unexpected: his son sat on the floor with his back against the wall and was perfectly calm. His eyes were open but he didn't see anything.

'Shlok, we need to talk. It's highly probable this would be the hardest talk in my life but at the same time the most important. You know, life bends us down every day but the day we actually start bending down life breaks us. It's the turning point for you now. Don't believe if somebody says that there's no option left. There is always a choice. Always. Even now you can choose to be bend down or to be broken.  What do you chose? '

Shlok silenced for a very long time then muttered 'I guess the choice has already been made and it's option number two'.

'Who has made that choice? I think it's you yourself. My life has taught me men must make decisions. We are made that way, we are to bear responsibility for everything in our life including hardships life suggests. You must know what I have learned: never make the decision until you see the whole picture until you know all the facts. Now believe me you're making a decision without consideration, without facts...'

Shlok sounded very quiet and evenly 'What exactly do you mean? Why have you taken away my freedom of choice?  I have the right to choose my punishment.  I deserve it now more than anything else. I would welcome it. She was only twenty one; she trusted me and loved me. She accepted me with all my vices just as I am, careless and spoilt. Now I must face the consequences:  I'm the murderer and will stay so till my last breath. Let me go to the police or to the court or wherever. It's payback time for me. I love her now even more than before. Do you understand me? Don't kill me destroying my self-respect. How can I go on knowing I betrayed her in a worst possible way?'

'Now we come to the turning point, my dear son. Facts...let me speak and don't be mad... Swati died tragically, it's a fact and I'm sorry for her. I condole with her poor mother. Her death was not intentional. The tyre of your car exploded and that was not your fault, it's an obvious fact. She was driving the car; she was an inexperienced driver, that's a fact at least for the police. Swati was interested in you, it's a fact and both you and I knew that. Swati needed money and we are nobody to judge her and it is also a fact.  Swati took money from me for giving you up, it's a fact and you can check my accounts as well as transactions made.  These are the facts. Now you can make decisions. If I hadn't known her intentions I would have never protected you. Just believe me she didn't deserve your rotting in prison. I feel she has played the crucial role in your life: she had failed to make you happy but still she can make you a man. If I'm right I'll be thankful to her till I die. '

Instead of an answer his beloved son just got down on the floor closing his eyes. Niranjan's last words like a bullet 'shot' Shlok dead. The father realized the conversation came to an end and left the room. Two things became clear for Niranjan. The boy had truly loved the girl and was overwhelmed with survivor's guilt and second, his unhappy son right at that very moment was losing his 'faith in man' or better say in women. 

Edited by bm11 - 9 years ago
MereMahiyaa. thumbnail
Awesomee start 
soo continue 
if you sending pms doo add me 
Anunilmini thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Wow! Flurry of new fictions coming up after a dry spell! I'm not complaining at all. Itd like Christmas for me. Love the concept of the story. Please update soon. And all the best. Cheers!
bm11 thumbnail

Originally posted by: .SajnaVe.

Awesomee start 

soo continue 
if you sending pms doo add me 

Thank you😊
bm11 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anukalu

Wow! Flurry of new fictions coming up after a dry spell! I'm not complaining at all. Itd like Christmas for me. Love the concept of the story. Please update soon. And all the best. Cheers!

Thank you for ecouragement.😊
Pveenat thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Very nice story please continue.
niki795 thumbnail
chapter 1

awesome start
swathi dead
plz pm me if you are doing 
niki795 thumbnail