Mythological Masti

Disney India to Produce Two-Part Feature on 'Mahabharata' Epic

chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Abhishek Kapoor will direct the epic about two related and warring families, with best-selling author Ashok Banker writing the scripts.

Disney India will produce a two-part live-action feature based on the Indian epic the Mahabharata.

The film will be made by director Abhishek Kapoor and written by author-historian Ashok Banker.

The Mahabharata revolves around two related and warring families, the Pandavas and the Kauravas who fought the Kurukshetra war. The epic includes the sacred text of theBhagavad Gita, delivered by Lord Krishna to the Pandava warrior prince Arjuna, at the battlefield just before the start of war.

Kapoor's previous film - sports drama Kai Po Che - was also a Disney India release, which was showcased at the 2013 Berlin Film Festival. Banker is a best-selling author known for his retellings of Indian epics, such as the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.

"At the heart of everything we do at Disney is the aim of telling great stories and creating memorable experiences that transcend generations," said Disney India managing director Siddharth Roy Kapur. "The Mahabharata is the epitome of such an ambition in the Indian context and as we all know, this epic has a deep emotional connection with every Indian. We intend to tell the story in a manner it deserves to be told on screen, and are thrilled to have the incredibly talented Abhishek Kapoor at the helm, with one of the most knowledgeable and talented writers on the subject, Ashok Banker scripting it."

Said Kapoor: "The Mahabharata expresses the universal truth; it has defined my understanding of spirituality and of all humanity. I aim to translate this onto the big screen, engage minds and deliver a world-class cinematic experience."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-india-produce-mahabharata-epic-690534

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Okay..
But if Ashok Banker is writing the story...
This is not Mahabharat then, this is Ashokbharat.

Anyway Thanks for sharing!
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
One more PH and one more "expert" to murder the epic...<Sigh>

Ashok Banker writing the script???? Ugh

Thanks for the warning C-n-F

Edited by varaali - 10 years ago
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks for the article...

Why do we need ANOTHER MB, when ⭐️B is currently running on TV? 
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Oh!I'm terrified!

So can't we expect something better than what we had till now!?😔
sherlock thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
"Knowledgeable" "historian" ashok banker. 😆 😆😆
Great, just great.

I sympathise with all those unfortunate souls who will be watching this movie, if it ever reaches theatres, that is.