Rangrasiya

OS: Yesterday and Tomorrow--Protector (completed) - Page 3

sparikh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
how come Paro only his "jallad" actions & not the protective ones...maybe she is not ready to see them. 
That was amazing chapter - how his shadow was always around; Paro in subconscious mind always knew that. 

-Sona

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hunnybunny3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful update. Looking forward to reading the next instalment. Too bad Paro missed out on all the action. 
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: CDlove

This is brilliant! I can totally picture Rudra in a crazy obsessive avatar, protecting her like a wild beast. Rudra reminds me of Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights (even more so than ASR of the show that cannot be named although we used to make many comparisons with him in yonder days 😆). 

Rudra has this wild ferociousness in his character which you have captured brilliantly in this OS.

Kudos! 

CDLove! Kya hui gawa, you here too?! I'm so glad you are on the RR forum--any plans to write stuff for us here?  Thanks for your comment, you are absolutely spot on, this is the wild man, the wandering Heathcliff of the moors in the real sense of the word. ASR still had the veneer of civility covering him as he dropped girls out of windows.

This man is a stone cold killer, a total maniac and a protective beast...all rolled into a fine fine package! The inspiration comes every time he twirls his mustache, I'm deeply ashamed to say! I'll never giggle at Rajni-kanth fans again, I swear to God.

Stay tuned, I have Part 2 (Tomorrow) almost done.  
1sarun thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Lovely write up. Hey you've truely captured the essence of our own Rudra in this one. Waiting for the tomorrow one.
dreamwinner thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I thought u have stopped writing this story but 
it's good to know u have not.
Loved this update, waiting for tomorrow 
-happilyunknown thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
THis was so well written so parvati was right the Jallad had been watching her all alone cant wait for tomorrow part :)
jisa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
w8ng eagerly for tomorrow..!
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7

TOMORROW:   Entering the village to get the mission started would not be the problem. The BSD had enough men, and enough firepower to take down a major Indian city, much less a sleepy little place like Birpur. The problem would be, of course, that the Major would almost certainly be killed as soon as the Thakur's men saw a single uniform within fifty feet of the Haveli. They would delay opening the gates, somehow they would slow down the rescue party. They would never risk being caught holding a BSD Army Major prisoner within their own walls. And the BSD by now knew exactly how gruesomely that prisoner's body would be disposed of before help, or witnesses, arrived.

General Singh's eyes felt gritty with the days of sleep he had already missed. But he continued on, planning his rescue mission, roaring orders at a devastated Aman, cursing the Army's endless paperwork and red tape. The General felt the burn of anger curl within his chest. He was helpless, knowing that every minute he spent here, sitting and waiting for clearance from the oblivious politicians up in Delhi was another minute that the officer who was like his own son suffered  sadistic torture at the Thakur's hands.

Aman knocked on the door. The General looked up, and his eyes narrowed as they fell on the young girl standing a few yards behind Aman.  Paro spoke: "Maaf kijiye---menne Aman sir ko manne cell se call kiya, aur usko majbur kiya, ke who mujhe aapke pas lei aye. Aap ko kuch batana tha. Menne pata hai---Thakur sa ke Haveli pe pal-pos ke bara hui hu mein.  Who log USKO kaha band karke rakha hoga, woh pata hai mennu. Aur kaise jaana hai waha pe, chup ke. Woh bhi janti hu. Aapko madat chaiye, naa? Pareshan hai na, aap sab, USKO liye? Mennu bas ek bar puch leta, General saab. Mennu madat kar deti! Aap nahi ja sakhta hai, par mein ja sakhti hu, mein chori se ghuss ke rastha dekha sakhti hu, aapko aur aapko sari BSD team ko." 

(Eng:"Forgive me--I asked Aman Sir to come to my cell, and I forced him to bring me here to you. I need to tell you something. I know the Thakur's haveli very well, you see---after all, I was practically brought up there. I know exactly where they are holding HIM. And how to get there-- I know that too. You need help right? You are all worried, for HIM? You should have asked me, just once, General saab. You can't go there, but I can, I can sneak in, I can get you and your BSD men inside and show you the way.")

HE had been missing for over three days before someone bothered to mention this news in front of the prisoner. Paro sat, as quiet and still as a statue in her cell. She sat with her arms wrapped around her knees, her eyes shimmering with tears. Tears? She sniffed, wiping her wet face, slapping herself slightly in annoyance. Tears still fell, cutting a salty path down her cheeks. 

Her heart hammered and leapt within her chest, and she scolded that silly organ too. Why was she reacting like this? She did not know why she was feeling this way. Three days. Was he...could he be...dead ? No. No. her mind shied away from that idea like a cornered animal. She was almost as frightened by her inexplicable reaction as she was by her awareness that she was teetering on some edge.

One either side of her was a chasm, she could fall one way or the other. And neither side was safe, neither side would let her go on being the same Paro she had always been.

An odd distortion of emotions seemed to have trapped her within its coils. Paro knew she should be happy, the Jallad was being beaten, being whipped. He must be broken, and cut with knives and suffering from torture. They had found out a lot about how the Thakur operated by this time. She knew what he could do to his own people--so Bholenath knew what he was doing to his greatest enemy.

This should make her happy and yet she what she felt was---gut wrenching fear?!! Why? As if she herself was about to undergo such things?? As if it was she who was facing torture and death?? Ridiculous! She was here, in the BSD Headquarters, and HE was there, in the Thakur's clutches. She was safe and HE was...

She suddenly felt her throat closing up. Paro got up to drink every last drop of water in the water jug. Her hands shook, and she quickly put the glass down before she dropped it, staring at her own hand as if it no longer was her own.

She knew she should feel satisfaction, at the thought of the Jallad there, alone, broken. And yet, all she actually felt was...was as if the air was being squeezed out of her lungs. It was as if her brain instructed her to feel one thing, and her heart decided to make her actually experience something completely different.

Madness! She closed her eyes, and all she saw in her mind were his own. Burning, pain-filled, a gaze of such turbulence, such raw agony it reached across the miles between them and pierced her with--No. She got up, breathing heavily, her skin crawling.

No.  

The Jallad had been captured. One too many daring raids, one too many acts of bravery, one too many attempts to cheat Fate. The Thakur was behind this capture, this was confirmed by the BSD scouts who had brought the news of the ambush and the kidnapping three days ago. After the Birpur Baraat fiasco, Rudra and the BSD had been using her secret information to steadily stop each illegal activity that funded the Thakur's terrorist activities. The net was closing, inexorably. The Thakur was getting trapped behind wave after wave of obstacles, each minor, each just a small breakdown of his empire--but all of it slowly adding up to defeat.

She could have warned that arrogant, foolish, insane man. One did not corner a snake and then turn one's back on the danger, one took more care, and stayed safe! One did not assume the snake would not strike, and strike hard. One did not ride one's jeep around with the arrogance of a God, with no protection, not even a constable to watch one's back.

So, of course, it had happened, HE was captured. And Paro should be glad, knowing that HE was being tortured. Knowing that HIS mind was being stripped its strength, knowing that HIS voice was screaming in agony, that HIS arms were failing to protect his crippled body from pain. What had they...?

Another turn around the cell. Another debilitating pulse of something queerly like panic, like terror. Paro looked at her hands, held before her. They had clenched, by themselves, into fists, her own nails had cut crescent half moons of blood into her palms. She was shaking, sweat beading on her body as if the cell had grown clammy with condensation. She had eaten nothing and yet she felt queasy, as if she was about to retch her guts out, all over the floor. She did not know why. He rose up in her mind, as he always had, night after night.--A circle of contained fire, his outline burning like a pillar of flames. Today, those flames, the ones that had always burnt like wildfire--warmed her. It no longer mattered why.

Her feet led her to the cell door, and she shouted, in a hoarse voice that she herself did not recognize, for Officer Aman Kundra. NOW.

For three days, the question had been the same. Rudra had been burnt with heated irons, his nails torn out with pliers, he was shashed with daggers and beaten until he had passed out. The torture had varied, depending on what new method of pain the Thakur thought of. But the question he was asked never changed. "Who is the BSD source? Who is the traitor in Birpur?"

Rudra repeated his statement one more time, the only thing that he had said to his torturers for three days and three nights. "Name--Rudra Pratap Ranawat. Rank-- Major, BSD, Indian Army. Serial Number 543876."  And after stating the only things he was supposed to say to the enemy after capture as a prisoner of war, Rudra had smiled at the Thakur. That man, with flaming eyes of the zealot and sadistic imagination of the psychopath, had wrecked his body and mind, his fury at the Major coming out in the sheer imagination and intensity of the torture he did to his prisoner. But Rudra had smiled because, even as agonizing screams were wrenched from his throat, the question itself had given him peace.

Because it meant that he had won, and the Thakur had lost. Until the question had been put to him, Rudra had never been fully sure about Paro's safety. There had always been the chance of a leak, of the Thakur knowing who the secret BSD witness really was. But the question meant that the terrorists had no idea that Paro was alive and was their source. Paro was safe. Because  three days, three years, even three lifetimes would not be enough for them to get to Paro through Rudra.

This night's session had been particularly bad, the Thakur had been more agitated than usual, and that meant more severe beatings than other nights. Blows came, vicious and hard. Rudra collapsed, unconscious.  

When he awoke, to hear the dungeon door open, Rudra plunged right into his worst nightmare. He had come back to consciousness when he heard the distant sound of screams and gun shots. Expecting his torturer to have returned, Rudra had barely opened his eyes, when his body went rigid with shock. In front of him stood someone far more frightening than the man who had tortured him----dressed in a black tunic and pants, her hair wild and free, stood the one person who should never be here, never be in danger, never be locked inside this dungeon. No! Hanging from the ropes that lashed him to a hook above his head, in the dungeon in the basement of the Thakur's haveli, Rudra awoke. And in front of him stood---Parvati.

"Nahi..." Rudra's voice, cracked, hoarse with fear, burst from his lungs. "Nahi. Tu yaha nahi ho sakti!!! Nahi ho sakti!!! Tin din menne kuch nahi kaha, aur marne tak kuch nahi bataunga. Lekhin kya faida, agar woh tuje yaha dekha? Tu ne yeh kya kiya? Tu yaha aa gaya kaise? Kyu? Woh Thakur--- tujhe woh dekhne ke baad menne tuje kaise bachaungi? Tujhe woh khatam kar dega! Nahi, tu laut ja! Who dekh lenge! Laut ja Paro!"

(Eng: "No! No! You cant be here! You cannot be here! For three days, I haven't said a word, and I won't say anything even when they kill me--but what is the use of any of that if they see you here? What have you done? How can you be here? Why? That Thakur--when he sees you, how will I be able to protect you? Save you? He'll kill you! No! Go back!! He'll see you, Paro! Go back!")

"Major Saab, please, shant ho jaiye! Thakur ke aadmi sab upar gaya! BSD ka full force aya yaha, aapko bachane ke liye! Aap chinta mat kijiye, koi nahi dekha mennu! Dekhenga bhi nahi, hum darwaja band kar diya, bheetar se! Menne chup ke ghus aya, wait kiya, jab tak Thakur aur usko aadmi BSD ko samna karne ke liye gaya! Mere baat maniye! Mujhe kuch nahi hoga! Shant ho jaiye!"
Paro begged, her fear at his crazed, panicked reaction making her speak from the heart.

(Eng:"Major Saab, please, be calm! Thakur and his men have all gone upstairs! The BSD are here, with their full force, to rescue you! Please don't worry, no one has seen me! They won't see me, I came in and locked the dungeon door from the inside!! I came secretly. I hid and I waited until the Thakur and his men went off to face the BSD outside. Please listen to me! Nothing will happen to me!! Please, calm down!")

Paro had slipped into the dungeon, as soon as the BSD had staged a diversion in the village. The Thakur, already paranoid, had immediately left with his men, leaving the prisoner to one guard. Paro watched, hiding, as the man stationed outside the dungeon finally went up to find out what was going on. For a girl who had grown up playing in these underground cellars, Paro had taken exactly one minute to slip in between sacks of rice and other stored items to reach this, the one room in the Haveli that had always been forbidden. The room where she now found Rudra, bloodied, hanging from the ceiling, where his body spun in the night air like a grotesque, red-painted broken doll. Shaking, Paro picked up a dagger, and sawed at the ropes.

She had locked the dungeon door as soon as she had slipped in here. The General's orders had been strict. She was to wait until the BSD did their diversion, and then slip in through the underground passage, into the Haveli. She was to find the Major, if she was right, and if he was being held in the underground dungeon. And she was to stay WITH HIM, locked inside the dungeon while the BSD staged a counter attack on the Haveli. As she helped the Major slip out of the cut ropes, she swore to her Bholenath this was exactly what she would do. She would protect him, until the BSD came.

Clutching the dagger in her hand, Paro now looked into the eyes of the man she was here to save. She was about to speak, to assure him that she was here to defend him, when he grabbed at her arms, staring into her eyes. Shock jangled through her, when she saw his intensity, his total rabid focus on her. And,the prisoner, a man who had suffered so much he was unrecognizable still looked at her--fearful, protective, crazed. Even here, with the red mist of danger over them both, all Rudra saw, was her. All Rudra cared about, was her.

And it was that precise moment when Paro fell into the chasm that was Major Rudra Pratap Ranawat, BSD, Indian Army, Serial Number 543876.  

A voice as rough and torn as silk dragged over broken glass barely emerged from the Major. Holding the heavy burden in her arms, Paro almost collapsed to the floor, taking Rudra down with her. She tried to position herself so that she would hit the ground and not him, but at the last moment he twisted around and they landed with Rudra taking the brunt of their fall. Paro found that she was weeping, but she could not wipe her eyes dry---he was in her arms. She had managed to protect his head from hitting the ground, her arms were a band of strength around his bloodied chest.

Paro heard the faint ghost of a laugh, a puff of noise that poured across her skin like spring rain. The Major was attempting to speak, coughing up blood, but still struggling to talk. It had to be something urgent! A message to the General? Paro stifled her own cries, and bent her head down to the broken man sprawled on the floor, to listen carefully to what Rudra was trying so hard to say.     

"Menne kuch din ke liye chutti liya aur sab ke sab BSD officers paagal ho gaya kya? Tuje yaha kon bheja? Kiss ka bheja fry ho gaya? Aur tu? Tu bhi itni bewakoof nikli ? Chala aya? Tu kya teri jaan khone ke liye itna bechain hai? Uss din encounter ke waqt mujhe yeh baat bol deti, maa kasam tujhe wahi goli maar deta! Tuje yaha kon bheja? Tu yeh bata. Abhi. Mujhe kiss kiss ki haddi tor na hai?Yeh kartut  Aman ne kiya, na? Aman beta, tu to gaiye..."

(Eng:"So I decide to take a few days' holiday, and everyone at the BSD decides to go stark, raving mad? Who the hell sent you in here? Who's brain overheated and decided on this? And you? You turned out to be a fool, too? You just decided to come here? Are you this desperate to die, you fool? You could have told me that you wanted death this badly during the Encounter, I swear to God I would have helped you out and shot you right there! Who sent you? Tell me! Who the hell do I have to thrash, who's bones do I have to break for doing this? Its Aman, right? Aman, beta...you are dead...")

There was no answer from the woman on the ground. Rudra felt Paro shaking with sobs as she sat up, and leaned over him. Softly, gently so as not to cause any of the seeping wounds on his body to reopen, Paro guided him up. Letting him rest his head against her own as she held him to herself, to give her strength to him. Rudra tried to help as much as he could, but his legs were useless, and his arms had been burnt and slashed so many times, he couldn't lift them up. Paro, looking into his eyes, saw the flare of pain, and quickly looked down.

Tears fell onto Rudra's arms now, as Paro sat up next to him, hoisting him up so that he could lean against her soft body. Rudra resisted. He was in agony, bleeding freely, the pain a constant reminder of his weakness. And still, he resisted. And then, as he silently refused her help, Paro did the unthinkable.

Rudra heard Paro say, softly,almost beneath her breath... "Aapke liye nahi, sahi..lekin please, meri khatir??"    

(Eng: "Not for you, of course not--but please...for me?")

Rudra's eyes--wild, feral--snapped up, and locked with Paro's hazel ones, softly beseeching, wet with her tears. One white arm came around his shoulders, and Rudra finally allowed Paro to guide his head into the soft cradle of her neck. Rudra closed his eyes, inhaling deeply for the first time in days, breathing in the sandalwood and myrrh scent that was Paro. Another soft arm now crept down, and lay protectively across his own. Rudra looked down as well and found that they were holding hands, their fingers entwined, hands fisted together.

His own strength had left him a long time back, but when they fell to the floor, he had still positioned himself between her and the dungeon's door. He knew he had reached the end, that there was nothing left within him to fight with and protect her. But if the enemy came in, the first bullet, the knife attack or blow would land on him first before it could get through to her.

That much, at least, he could still do.

They sat there, huddled on the stone floor, as above them, Rudra heard the faint sounds of a gun battle, of screams and churning chaos. The sounds of war, of the BSD fighting with full strength against the maniacs of the Thakur's army sounded very distant to him now. Like faint echoes of a discordant song playing somewhere far away, the battle raged on. Inside the dungeon, in the oddly intimate light of the fire-torch,  Rudra and Paro sat, leaning against each other, facing the door through which would come either their deaths, or their salvation.

The Protector and the Prisoner waited, silently, entwined in each other's arms for the Fates to decide on their fate. And above them, above the Haveli ringing with gun powder and reeking with death, and far above the rocky Rajasthani desert surrounding the village of Birpur, there rose a fierce new sun, heralding a new dawn, and promising the beginning of a bright new day.  

Yesterday and Tomorrow, Part 7 (Fears): https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3930183

Edited by napstermonster - 10 years ago
Aruni. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Wow - this tomorrow is so close to the today... ðŸ˜³
Loved the dialogues!
devsum thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Absolutely superb...terrific .