Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Arvind Kejriwal and AAP (Page 57)

Rose7bud IF-Rockerz
Rose7bud
Rose7bud

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

@Hemangi: Which statements of Kejriwal have been misconstrued?

His statement regarding media houses being sold out was misconstrued as a threatening to entire media.  He never meant that all media in the country is sold out. His statement was based on facts as contained in a report submitted by eminent journalist Sri Prananjay Guha Thakur to the Indian broadcasting association. The broadcasting association nor the concerned media houses have acted upon.

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by charminggenie

A question which has always intrigued me is: Is the "Minority/Muslim" electorate as homogenous as is taken to be AND projected in the Media? The other day I read a news about Muslim vendors/traders in Varanasi saying in interviews that they'd vote for Modi. But in editorial analyses, there is always a bracketing of the community, with a "rush to prevent the rise of the BJP" being attributed to them. In fact, most discussions on the minority question and the factors contributing to their electoral leanings are often seen collectively and against the backdrop of fear of the BJP. How well-founded is this, I wonder.

@Krystal - If I take this question in terms of Gujarat solely, i don't think minorities have played a role in the politics of that state. 3 successful terms for NaMo shows that either the minority population is too minimal to play a big role or irrespective of the riots , the living standards of Muslims have improved in that state. I personally think its a mix of both . State Economics helps in easing out the tensions , I have read that a big section of Muslims have more or less established a "working" relationship with NaMo. He has gradually allowed a lot of Muslim MLAs to win the goodwill.

But if we turn to UP and Bihar big election states - Muslim population have continued to be substantial vote bank since the Babri-Masjid. Lack of development and economic growth are few of the reasons why the area has seen sponsored multiple riots over a period of time. Poverty ensures the religious animosity never goes.
UP with a huge number of parliamentary seats will always be used for this Pseudo secular-religious politics. Any political party if interested to form a govt. at center needs atleast double digit here. Hence they use the religion/minority card. Also why SP/BSP are most sought after any elections. This is why NaMo is so focused on UP and Varanasi

What you said about Muslims in Gujarat seems plausible. But this analysis is applied to the pan-Indian situation and not just Gujarat, UP and Bihar. In West Bengal, for instance, which is one of the most heavily Muslim-populated States in the country and which has never seen any major riot post-Noakhali during the Partition (which was targetted at cleansing Hindus btw) which divided Bengal into WB and East Pakistan, the Government has always indulged in heavy-duty minority appeasement, right from allowing hordes of illegal immigrants from across the border; giving them easy citizenship, voter card, Aadhar etc; telling public schools to stop Saraswati Vandana while happily funding Madrassa institutions. That tradition has been carried forward by the TMC Government whose CM regularly sits for public Ramzan fasts and prayers, besides declaring humongous grants for Imams and Muezzins.

This was just an example from my home state. Brash minority politics is pretty much a part of the all-Indian political culture, except for maybe J&K and the North-Eastern states barring Assam.
Rose7bud IF-Rockerz
Rose7bud
Rose7bud

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged
 Mr Rahul Gandhi in his campaigning speech advocating for reservations in private sector . Trying to lure the sc/ st and minority . Better for him to sit in opposition and learn the fundamentals of governance. He leaves an impression of his immaturity in every speech that he delivers. Either concentrates on targeting NaMo  highlighting him as communal and dismissing the Gujarat development or making fake promises regarding overall development. Fact is Mr Sachin Pilot and Mr Jyotiraditya Sindia are more capable and have better understanding of Indian polity and the present scenario in comparison to their counterpart and  party Vice President.. 
The AAP themselves maintain that they can't win elections. Their sole motto is to defeat NaMo and Rahul Gandhi in their constituency to apprise them of the fact that people are fed up of communalism and corruption. Yesterday Mr AK confirmed in his interview with Barkha Dutt . Mr AK as he portrays himself as  an aam aadmi  took a sleeper class birth in Shiv Ganga express to reach Varanasi. Just like he traveled in a local train in Mumbai and it created a commotion on the railway platform.
I would like to reiterate just see the options. We are in a helpless state. Individually speaking would have liked to see BJP in power . But in the past two three months they have stooped so low in order to win elections giving tickets to Mr Jagdambika Pal who has always spoken ill about the party when he was in congress. Ignoring Mrs Sushma Swaraj who is the most suitable candidate for PM. Feel sorry for the party for it could have utilised the anti incumbency in its favour and could have won the election with thumping majority, might  miss due to their own faults. They can emerge as a single largest party but there was a scenario in which BJP could have formed the govt on its own without the support of allies.

Edited by Hemangi5 - 25 March 2014 at 10:23pm
-Cruiser- IF-Sizzlerz
-Cruiser-
-Cruiser-

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged

I would suggest all to watch yesterday's detailed interview of Rajnath Singh by Arnab Goswami on Times Now! 

Candidly he has spoken on various issues like decision regarding Jaswant Singh, Sushma's perceived displeasure over certain decisions, Advani etc.

On the one hand, some here allege BJP somehow wants to form the Government any which way it can and at the same time suggest BJP deliberately wants to field Advani from Gandhinagar so that he loses election from there. Isn't that contradictory? 

Why would a Party, which actually has suffered the humiliation of a  Government collapse due to ONE VOTE SHORT, be so foolish that it would risk a seat which is supposed to be a sure shot one for the party? Logical? Smile

For the records, Advani has successfully contested every single election from Gandhinagar since late 80s, (barring one when he didn't contest due to corruption charges on him & staying away on moral grounds pending clearance), and Advani is held in very high esteem by voters of Gandhinagar. It is a very well nurtured constituency in terms of development and planning. 

Rajnath made it clear that CEC of BJP wanted Advani to retain his Gandhinagar seat and on learning Advani's desire of shifting to Bhopal, left it to Advani himself to choose between Gandhinagar and Bhopal. And Advani himself, after evaluating all Pros n Cons, realized he is better off retaining his Gandhinagar seat.

This is in sharp contrast to case of Varanasi where sitting MP Murli Manohar Joshi has been an utter disaster. Dead

My own cousins are settled in Varanasi, orthodox Brahmins and supposedly traditional vote bank of BJP. And inspite of Modi wave, very categorical that they would have NEVER voted for Joshi, who in any case won by a small margin in 2009. Joshi has always made 1-2 monthly appearances in Varanasi, only to huddle together with a small coterie and leaving Varanasi to Bhagwan-Bharose! 

It's a city in shambles! Holy, revered and yet, downright filthy and screaming for most basic amenities. Angry

Had Joshi been allowed to contest this seat a don like Mukhtar Ansari or any reasonable candidate from BSP especially, would have romped home this time! 

It's a master stroke of BJP to field it's PM potential from Varanasi & fire the imagination of major segment of Purvanchal belt! 

It is too simplistic to imagine that Narendra Modi is an autocrat who bulldozes his way through. Yes, it is true that Sushma Swaraj has been sulking ever since NaMo was declared the PM candidate as she imagined the honour to come her way. In any large organization, ambitions of powerful individuals would cross swords at some point of time. Even if we look at one family dominated Congress, any student of Political History of India would recount Indira's battles and triumph over syndicate, open war for PM seat by various individuals like V.P. Singh, Sharad Pawar, Rajesh Pilot. Tensions & fights amongst Pranab Mukherji, Sitaram Kesari, Sonia, Narsimha Rao etc.

Where Sushma is wrong is that its not that an individual's decision gets rammed down her throat. It's a simple scenario where her voice is in minority and when BJP CEC takes a decision, even when she has a contrary opinion, she does not have the numbers to have it her way. Its as simple as that! 

In his interview, Rajnath makes it clear that Sushma was very much part of CEC team meeting where decisions regarding Jaswant Singh was taken, just as she was when this Bellary chap induction was approved.

Contrast the conduct of Modi vs Kejriwal. Kejriwal has repeatedly attacked Modi with allegations of all kinds and visibly going soft (almost silent) on Sonia & Congress, supposedly his principal rivals when he started his movement. In sharp contrast Modi has not even fleetingly mentioned Kejriwal in any of his election rallies. 

If one imagines Modi to be autocratic, after 12 years of relentless and over-jealous hounding of him by Main stream Media, one would have expected him to get rattled and say at some point,"I will get these lumpen Media goons arrested once we are in power!" This was actually said...but by Kejriwal, who actually is a poster boy of Media, loved, adored and over-hyped by them, till he made this faux-pas and threatened Media which is a very very united lot in India. 

Its no secret that Media Houses in India act as professional mercenaries but its downright foolish to threaten any of their lot!

Modi is BJP's idea of transforming this Election into a Development vs Corruption vs Chaos model. They took a big gamble but are doing a great job of it so far. 

Jaswant Singh has been a 10 time MP and if party felt he was better off now as Rajya Sabha Member or in some other Capacity, he should have seen the point. 

Modi is certainly not SO BIG that he can bulldoze one and all in the party! Majority in BJP agrees that Modi as face of BJP is party's best bet to unite the fractured Hindi vote which gets scattered amongst Castes, Parties, Individuals!

If BJP can not win 200 Seats obviously they would be in a situation where suddenly Allies would impose conditions that 'We will support but not with Modi as your PM' and then Party would have to agree but as of now, they are gung-ho that they can get the numbers with Modi as the spearhead. 

Minor irritants are bound to occur periodically and it's a test of Rajnath Singh's resolve and character that he stays firm, carrying the core group along. He is doing a great job, ever since he projected Modi as the BJP PM candidate!Clap

Edited by -Cruiser- - 25 March 2014 at 11:02pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNum

-Cruiser- IF-Sizzlerz
-Cruiser-
-Cruiser-

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Hemangi5

Mr Rahul Gandhi in his campaigning speech advocating for reservations in private sector . Trying to lure the sc/ st and minority . Better for him to sit in opposition and learn the fundamentals of governance.

Thats a very dangerous ploy.Ermm

All Congress would end up doing is unleashing a monster and force the Next Government, (Congress itself has absolutely lost all hopes on 2014 Polls), to come up with a Bill for reservations in private sector. Obviously the country would be up in arms, Corporate Sector would hate it and issue has the potential of turning into another Mandal Commission type chaos.

Very disturbing!

If Congress had any seriousness about this issue, they had full 10 years to make the attempt! They are being downright dirty and unethical here!Thumbs Down

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNumzorrroScorpionGunner

Padfoot_Prongs IF-Sizzlerz
Padfoot_Prongs
Padfoot_Prongs

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged
i m apologizing in advance before my rant. I m in very anti- congress mood right now. 
Every other Department of the government have either indulged in Corruption or just stopped working. take the example of Armed Forces. Antony who is regarded as one of the cleanest Minister has left the forces in shambles.  if u read any piece on forces u will realize the damage he has done due to his 'Decision-Making' abilities. our air-force has not acquired the planes from french company, our navy has just witnessed two blast. The navy chief resigned after the debacle taking all the responsibility. In this debacle Mr. antony was equally responsible. Now army - well the image is down all thanx to handling of Age Issue and other issues.
it still didnot prevent happening of Helicopter scam.

We are not handling our foreign Affairs like we shud have. They let Local parties destroy strategical relations- be it Sri Lanka or Bangledesh.. Handling of Bhutan issue was really bad. that was so stupid.  China is increasing its presence where we are vacating- be it sri lanka or Bangladesh or Nepal. 

Now came Home Ministry- well Shinde is the weakest HM i have ever seen. the first statement he made after his appointment was- i m rewarded for my Loyality towards Gandhi Family. Pranab was really a strong leader and they made him go for President-ship. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Cruiser-

-Wanderer- IF-Dazzler
-Wanderer-
-Wanderer-

Posted: 25 March 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Hemangi5

Thanks Wanderer for understanding my point. He may be a novice immature but we cannot doubt on his credibility. You see what are the choices before us. BJP who is out to win the election by hook or by crook. Insulting the senior party leaders and denying them tickets instead giving to the ones who are defectors and have recently joined the party. They can trust on them but they can't trust a senior member. Mrs Sushma Swaraj openly expressed her displeasure regarding denial of ticket to Jaswant Singh and inclusion of Ramululu in the party. They  have compelled Advani to contest from Gandhinager with a ploy that he ends up losing. 
Coming to the Congress it appears they have already conceded defeat before elections. We all know the massive corruption and scams under the UPA regime.
Please examine the option before us. Well i know AAP party is yet to prove themselves. We have tolerated the bigger parties and the seasoned politicians for so long why not give an opportunity to AAP . There is no harm in testing friends .We are veterans have suffered so much due to bad governance. So let us test the capabilities of Mr AK. At least he will not say that we devoid him of the opportunity.
I agree.
You see how much Modi is advertising himself. The latest I saw was even websites are getting sponsored by BJP to advertise Modi. Then there were the front-page ads in the newspapers. I hate political parties advertising this way. Fight for elections but this advertising should seriously be banned.
What I see is BJP winning the elections but I hope AAP come on as the opposition. Maybe 4 years down they will be stronger and more experienced.
Congress is out of the race now, it seems.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

pari-kirloskarRose7bud

charminggenie IF-Stunnerz
charminggenie
charminggenie

Posted: 26 March 2014 at 1:27am | IP Logged

Originally posted by charminggenie

A question which has always intrigued me is: Is the "Minority/Muslim" electorate as homogenous as is taken to be AND projected in the Media? r.

What you said about Muslims in Gujarat seems plausible. But this analysis is applied to the pan-Indian situation and not just Gujarat, UP and Bihar. In West Bengal, for instance, which is one of the most heavily Muslim-populated States in the country and which has never seen any major riot post-Noakhali during the Partition (which was targetted at cleansing Hindus btw) which divided Bengal into WB and East Pakistan, the Government has always indulged in heavy-duty minority appeasement, right from allowing hordes of illegal immigrants from across the border; giving them easy citizenship, voter card, Aadhar etc; telling public schools to stop Saraswati Vandana while happily funding Madrassa institutions. That tradition has been carried forward by the TMC Government whose CM regularly sits for public Ramzan fasts and prayers, besides declaring humongous grants for Imams and Muezzins.

This was just an example from my home state. Brash minority politics is pretty much a part of the all-Indian political culture, except for maybe J&K and the North-Eastern states barring Assam.

My earlier response was strictly co-relating the influence of minority politics with the electoral.  States with substantial minority population like UP, Bihar and West Bengal ,  -form a sure-shot vote bank , hence the free soaps to appease them . Whether the region is prone to riots or not ,a minority vote bank is sustained over the years because they form a massive percentage of votes.  These States majorly trend towards minority voters.

In West Bengal , minority voters and communist ideology was heavily groomed  after the initial riots, hence BJP never truly could contest in the region. Yet   Pseudo-secularism was an election slogan in the state over the years- its because it  was played into the mindset of the people and BJP just couldn't penetrate even in the urban voters. That and lack of big State leader.

This is an all-Indian phenomenon but the direct  and important impact to electoral is limited to few states only hence the growth of parties like SP/BSP. In states where minority voters don't have major influence like Delhi, they still help parties to establish a local base (BSP).

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index