Debate Mansion

Arvind Kejriwal and AAP - Page 43

Posted: 10 years ago
A question which has always intrigued me is: Is the "Minority/Muslim" electorate as homogenous as is taken to be AND projected in the Media? The other day I read a news about Muslim vendors/traders in Varanasi saying in interviews that they'd vote for Modi. But in editorial analyses, there is always a bracketing of the community, with a "rush to prevent the rise of the BJP" being attributed to them. In fact, most discussions on the minority question and the factors contributing to their electoral leanings are often seen collectively and against the backdrop of fear of the BJP. How well-founded is this, I wonder.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: krystal_watz

A question which has always intrigued me is: Is the "Minority/Muslim" electorate as homogenous as is taken to be AND projected in the Media? The other day I read a news about Muslim vendors/traders in Varanasi saying in interviews that they'd vote for Modi. But in editorial analyses, there is always a bracketing of the community, with a "rush to prevent the rise of the BJP" being attributed to them. In fact, most discussions on the minority question and the factors contributing to their electoral leanings are often seen collectively and against the backdrop of fear of the BJP. How well-founded is this, I wonder.

I've come across a lot of similar articles too. I'm curious what the actual opinion is of minority/Muslim voters. Some seem genuinely impressed with these stats and growth figures being thrown around and others are worried about a repeat of 2002. I wonder if there is a clear majority thinking or if there is actually a wide difference of opinion. 

I know the Gujarat riots is the one thing that constantly gets highlighted by the media and the one point people will pick on but as mr. ass has said time and again, that was 12 years ago and since then it has a clean record which is a hell of a lot better than many congress and other non-BJP ruled states. BJP screwed up in Gujarat, SP in Muzaffarnagar and Congress in the Anti-Sikh riots. Is there any particular reason why people choose only to focus on Gujarat? 
ScorpionGunner thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

I've come across a lot of similar articles too. I'm curious what the actual opinion is of minority/Muslim voters. Some seem genuinely impressed with these stats and growth figures being thrown around and others are worried about a repeat of 2002. I wonder if there is a clear majority thinking or if there is actually a wide difference of opinion. 

I know the Gujarat riots is the one thing that constantly gets highlighted by the media and the one point people will pick on but as mr. ass has said time and again, that was 12 years ago and since then it has a clean record which is a hell of a lot better than many congress and other non-BJP ruled states. BJP screwed up in Gujarat, SP in Muzaffarnagar and Congress in the Anti-Sikh riots. Is there any particular reason why people choose only to focus on Gujarat? 

Riot is not new to India ... the problem is that we just don't want to study History ... we belive what Khajdeep & Sleeveless Sagarika and of coruse Red Dot NDTV taught us every evening !

@Hindu4lyf: Its the 'JP. Hindutva. Must-prove-my-party-secular. 😆 They have that "tag" which SP and Congress don't. Edited by krystal_watz - 10 years ago
Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

it was on very big scale. and still congress is considered as a secular party. when congress can be given a chance in punjab, why this biases view for BJP.
I m backing Modi neither for Secularism which is anyway a Subject just for votes nor for anti-corrupt which is impossible for a single individual to remove. i m backing him because he is a strong leader. the other choices are too weak as leaders. since last five years we are leaderless which has clearly affected our international image plus the confidence of investors. the impact we are seeing on economy.

atleast Modi has an image for powerful decision. 
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

@Krystal - If I take this question in terms of Gujarat solely, i don't think minorities have played a role in the politics of that state. 3 successful terms for NaMo shows that either the minority population is too minimal to play a big role or irrespective of the riots , the living standards of Muslims have improved in that state. I personally think its a mix of both .  State Economics helps in easing out the tensions , I have read that a big section of Muslims have more or less established a "working" relationship with NaMo. He has gradually allowed a  lot of Muslim MLAs to win the goodwill.

But if we turn to UP and Bihar big election states - Muslim population have continued to be substantial vote bank since the Babri-Masjid. Lack of development and economic growth are few of the reasons why the area has seen  sponsored multiple riots over a period of time. Poverty ensures the religious animosity never goes.
UP with a huge number of parliamentary seats will always be used for this Pseudo secular-religious politics.  Any political party if interested to form a govt. at center needs atleast double digit here. Hence they use the religion/minority card. Also why SP/BSP are most sought after any elections.  This is why NaMo is so focused on UP and Varanasi

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: mannu_minnie

it was on very big scale. and still congress is considered as a secular party. when congress can be given a chance in punjab, why this biases view for BJP.

I m backing Modi neither for Secularism which is anyway a Subject just for votes nor for anti-corrupt which is impossible for a single individual to remove. i m backing him because he is a strong leader. the other choices are too weak as leaders. since last five years we are leaderless which has clearly affected our international image plus the confidence of investors. the impact we are seeing on economy.

atleast Modi has an image for powerful decision. 

MMS has so many credentials to his name. The guy is probably one of the most educated leaders and also extremely intelligent. It's sad that despite all that, he has extremely poor leadership skills. I remember being in India when the Nirbhaya incident happened. The entire country was so outraged and neither Sonia nor MMS came out to make a statement till some 2/3 days later. The way the case was handled by our politicians was disgusting. Whether it be David Cameron/George Osborne and their stand on welfare cuts or Obama and his stand on the healthcare reform or gay rights, they stick by what they say. MMS simply does not have that kind of conviction. (and IMO neither does AK) I hope Modi will be the one to change that trend. 
Edited by hindu4lyf - 10 years ago
Rose7bud thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

i disagree. Modi's style is US-style Presidential leadership, not autocratic, and that's exactly what India needs. He has a small group of trusted advisors, a think tank of sorts, same as in the US and the same as the CEO of any organization. The Ministers have a job to do but thankfully they are reined in and not allowed to run amok. If you think about it, that's the way it should be. The Ministers are basically deadwood fogeys who know nothing. Their only competence is in terms of  organizing gundas to get people to vote for them with the sole aim of looting. If Modi had great ideas for water harvesting and solar panels, it's because of his approach in working with experts around him. Otherwise, if you left it to a Water Minister politician, you'd never get anything... just more bureaucratic bungling and incompetence, with not a shred of a clue as to what they should be doing.

but sure, if you want to look for autocratic, check out Kejriwal. Now that idiot is what one would call a loony auocrat. He cannot deal with any opposing viewpoint. It's his stupid way and stupid ideas, and that's all he tolerates.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your views. Really appreciate another perception. However to put the Indian perspective in mind please let us recall the following----
1. The constitution makers have opted for a cabinet system of democracy and avoided the Presidential system of governance. As such India  does have a President but acts largely on the advice of cabinet. This forms the basic structure of our constitution and as much we may wish this cannot be amended.
2. India comprises people of diverse culture religion language uneven level of development. Their aspirations differ widely. It is very difficult for a govt of any different style then what we have, to address their issues. Please keep in mind the north eastern and a few southern states and not to speak of JK.
3.i am not sure of the influence and clout of any political party forget about an individual that the party or an individual may willed over such a large expanse of population. With all the hype of a few individuals during the present days this reality starks on their face.
Lastly we may have to turn our attention a little bit to the progress made by some of the so called Bimaru states and a few developed states like TamilNadu ,Himachal etc to have a better assessment of hype and reality.
We may find fault with any individual. But we have known of one individual over a period of more than 12 years as Chief Minister and the hatred of particular community after a such a long gap of time, of such an incident, having a cabinet minister in his govt convicted by a court, bringing in his party a number of tainted persons from everywhere, showing disrespect to well established and veterans in the party compared this with another individual whose public life is of recent origin.

Probably the latter deserves more time in public life for us to form somewhat a definite opinion about him.
Rose7bud thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

@Hemangi: Which statements of Kejriwal have been misconstrued?

His statement regarding media houses being sold out was misconstrued as a threatening to entire media.  He never meant that all media in the country is sold out. His statement was based on facts as contained in a report submitted by eminent journalist Sri Prananjay Guha Thakur to the Indian broadcasting association. The broadcasting association nor the concerned media houses have acted upon.
This content was originally posted by: charminggenie

@Krystal - If I take this question in terms of Gujarat solely, i don't think minorities have played a role in the politics of that state. 3 successful terms for NaMo shows that either the minority population is too minimal to play a big role or irrespective of the riots , the living standards of Muslims have improved in that state. I personally think its a mix of both . State Economics helps in easing out the tensions , I have read that a big section of Muslims have more or less established a "working" relationship with NaMo. He has gradually allowed a lot of Muslim MLAs to win the goodwill.

But if we turn to UP and Bihar big election states - Muslim population have continued to be substantial vote bank since the Babri-Masjid. Lack of development and economic growth are few of the reasons why the area has seen sponsored multiple riots over a period of time. Poverty ensures the religious animosity never goes.
UP with a huge number of parliamentary seats will always be used for this Pseudo secular-religious politics. Any political party if interested to form a govt. at center needs atleast double digit here. Hence they use the religion/minority card. Also why SP/BSP are most sought after any elections. This is why NaMo is so focused on UP and Varanasi

What you said about Muslims in Gujarat seems plausible. But this analysis is applied to the pan-Indian situation and not just Gujarat, UP and Bihar. In West Bengal, for instance, which is one of the most heavily Muslim-populated States in the country and which has never seen any major riot post-Noakhali during the Partition (which was targetted at cleansing Hindus btw) which divided Bengal into WB and East Pakistan, the Government has always indulged in heavy-duty minority appeasement, right from allowing hordes of illegal immigrants from across the border; giving them easy citizenship, voter card, Aadhar etc; telling public schools to stop Saraswati Vandana while happily funding Madrassa institutions. That tradition has been carried forward by the TMC Government whose CM regularly sits for public Ramzan fasts and prayers, besides declaring humongous grants for Imams and Muezzins.

This was just an example from my home state. Brash minority politics is pretty much a part of the all-Indian political culture, except for maybe J&K and the North-Eastern states barring Assam.