Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Cruiser- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
First they launch agitations exhorting people not to pay their electricity bills and then reward them by waiving off 50% of their bills once in power.

What kind of signals these guys are giving?🤓

Imagine if BJP tells all Indians not to pay their electricity, water bills and promise them waiver once they come to power! How about Mamata telling Bengal voters not to pay for anything, TMC will answer!

Pheww!!!😲

Infact, now those who DID NOT pay on AAP's exhortations, should demand 100% waiver! Why settle for 50%? 🤔

http://www.tehelka.com/aap-rewards-power-stir-faithful-with-50-pc-waiver-on-bills/

New Delhi, Feb 12 (PTI) : Rewarding those who had supported them and refused to pay their power bills during AAP's agitation, the Delhi government today decided to give them a 50 per cent relief on their pending bills and also waived the penalty.

A decision in this regard was today taken at a meeting of the Delhi Cabinet.

"Delhi government today decided to give a 50 per cent subsidy to those who did not pay their bills from October, 2012, to April, 2013, (the duration of the agitation) and continued not paying till December.

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
AAP  - This party continues to struggle for survival. Such a position to be in, they need double digit seats in LS to bring some sort of legitimacy. They were and still don't want to be in power in Delhi especially as a minority govt which needs their arch rival's support. They did make an ideal manifesto and its practicality is turning out to be a pitfall for them. They have made popular decisions which seems more of political gimmicks and "vote bank" politics of some sorts. And if they don't deliver on these promises they are labelled as inefficient. 

They don't have a popular identity beyond AK ,outside Delhi. So they have taken " voice of poor" as their narration. This has disappointed a significant urban vote , who wanted an ideology free narration. Unfortunately the way politics have shaped in India, there is no way any political party can survive without being manipulative to certain extent.

Delhi is complicated - AAP wants reelections and possible complete majority hence the windfall of freebies and now this decision. But AK's battle against the power companies and Reliance actually has a merit , just that his tone and content is not being reflected well. Both the energy firms of Anil Ambani have defaulted when they have been charging power on highly inflated price, there is a senior level corruption . But since AK is too theatrical , the real problem in this arrangement is not communicated well.

Investment wise , Delhi was not far off from Gujarat or Maharashtra, it is too early to say how that will change now. Certainly CWG , women security and LS polls would turn off some investors but considering it is the capital , it is always going to be a sought after place. Delhi CM has limited powers and AK should take a page out of Shiela's book and focus on improving infrastructure , cleanliness while tackling water/electricity mafia. 

This relief to defaulters is AAP's vote bank gimmick but they promised it from the word go, I guess most of us were too buyout by them to notice any discomfort with their policies. Too much romance and idealism with AAP's generic thought.

AK would use JAn LokPal as his trump card. He will either get this bill tabled and uplift his dwindling popularity or use it as an out from the post.

Gujarat's economy is too exaggerated , BJP has a pro industry image but other than that I am yet to see their stand on landmark economic reforms. Hence I remain skeptic about how will they perform on their promises. I am afraid they might go AAP way, by promising moon and not delivering much. 2004?

For Delhi, I would like reelections and anyone coming with clean majority. 

And plz AAP is trying to break into double digit, they are far and removed from any real race. So crowning them as an alternative is just wishful thinking.

The challenges for Modi is to convert the sentiments to votes in UP and use his popularity to make a good dent in South.  Karnataka and Andhra might be crucial if they don't sweep UP. 

Here's hoping we have a majority govt. 
To make things worse, two AAP party workers have been found involved in some sort of Student Visa scam in UK.
The Jan Lokpal thing can't be relied on anymore since its run into troubled waters with being deemed "unconstitutional" by the Centre and Solicitor Gen. and AK adding fat to the negative fire by threatening to resign if it wasn't passed; besides calling the Lt. Governor a Cong agent.Edited by krystal_watz - 10 years ago
charminggenie thumbnail

Originally posted by: krystal_watz

To make things worse, two AAP party workers have been found involved in some sort of Student Visa scam in UK. 

I dislike how they have no criteria for selecting their party workers, before delhi elections they were pretty  strict with who represented them. Still how involved were these party workers remains to be seen , now anyone can be their member.

The Jan Lokpal thing can't be relied on anymore since its run into troubled waters with a few of its provisions deemed "unconstitutional" by the Centre and BJP equally and AK adding fat to the negative fire by threatening to resign if it wasn't passed and calling the Lt. Governor a Cong agent.

I don't think the provisions are unconstitutional, AK has reworked on them and he is constitutionally allowed to table a bill without LG's permission. Its the fact that it won't be cleared from the floor that matters. Cong cannot support it coz they have brought their own Lokpal. So if the bill fails in assemble, AK has an excuse to resign on moral grounds. Hence the sacrifice will play out on his image as a Non-corrupt politician . 

Isn't it unconstitutional if there's already a Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill prevailing at the Centre?
charminggenie thumbnail

Isn't it unconstitutional if there's already a Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill prevailing at the Centre?

No, States can have their own ,Uttarakhand has the toughest Lokpal 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

You simply cannot run a government by threatening to protest/resign when something does not go your way. Ultimately, running a government is about negotiation and compromise. This is especially true in India where the ruling party itself is a coalition of varied interests. I can understand taking a stand on moral ant-corruption grounds. But protesting, fasting and threatening is suited to the social activist. A legislator needs to cease being an activist and make legislation the priority. Something is better than nothing. Pass a law first, then amend in time.

To be frank, I have completely lost faith in AAP. There is a new revelation every day. They have not yet learned an iota and Kejriwal acts like a stubborn child throwing tantrums and playing the blame game rather than addressing issues.

I don't like Modi. He is a poisoned honey speaker. He is overhyped. I don't trust him to be truly secular. I think he caters to select strata of society and doesn't have the "whole" interest in mind. However, in the end, I'd rather bet all my dollars on a known devil than on the unknown fools. At least with a known entity, you know what to expect.

Originally posted by: charminggenie

No, States can have their own ,Uttarakhand has the toughest Lokpal

Then it must require the consent of the President which AK is refusing to take. Going by what the SG Parasaran said.
charminggenie thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

You simply cannot run a government by threatening to protest/resign when something does not go your way. Ultimately, running a government is about negotiation and compromise. This is especially true in India where the ruling party itself is a coalition of varied interests. I can understand taking a stand on moral ant-corruption grounds. But protesting, fasting and threatening is suited to the social activist. A legislator needs to cease being an activist and make legislation the priority. Something is better than nothing. Pass a law first, then amend in time.

To be frank, I have completely lost faith in AAP. There is a new revelation every day. They have not yet learned an iota and Kejriwal acts like a stubborn child throwing tantrums and playing the blame game rather than addressing issues.

I have no expectations from AAP , all I want is to see them be a regional party for 5 years and to prove their credibility. Regional Party. Delhi centric. 

Hadey, India is a different political sphere, in a situation like Delhi where no party had majority seats running a govt is not possible, no govt has ever survived this. AK is protesting and being difficult so as to create a sphere where he can resign from this situation. Considering he cannot get any work done in the Assembly, something similar to the lockdown in US.  He is surviving with Cong support , if he moves a bill, say like Jan LokPal they will oppose and hence no work would be achieved in the Parliament. Re-elections was always a reality for Delhi. It's time it actually happens. 

For me AAP is not an alternative to BJP/Cong , rather I prefer them over Shiv Sena/SP/BSP, thats their starting point. 

I don't like Modi. He is a poisoned honey speaker. He is overhyped. I don't trust him to be truly secular. I think he caters to select strata of society and doesn't have the "whole" interest in mind. However, in the end, I'd rather bet all my dollars on a known devil than on the unknown fools. At least with a known entity, you know what to expect.

Nationally, Modi all the way. He is the only candidate, the question is - "how much" not who?

charminggenie thumbnail

Then it must require the consent of the President which AK is refusing to take. Going by what the SG Parasaran said.

Honestly there is lot of ambiguity , Soli Sorabjee says they don't need to send this bill to Centre Govt http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2014-02-09/india/47168366_1_delhi-assembly-soli-sorabjee-central-government

All AK wants is to table the bill and get it to a position where voting can happen, thats his escape!