Arvind Kejriwal and AAP - Page 6

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by krystal_watz

^^You do know that the Police were sitting on the complaints for about three months, right?

That doesn't mean the ministers and their supporters have the right to take the law into their own hands. Here we have a law minister who raids private properties without arrest warrant or search warrant, detains people, manhandles women at night (again something that's a violation of the code of police) and then throws tantrums against the police officers who rightly refused to cooperate with the idiot in observance of their code of conduct.

And what exactly are they protesting against? The police not complying with their whims and disavowing the procedures? The police is not the personal servant of the ministers, nor is it supposed to take orders from any mob. If AAP files a case in the court against the cops pertaining to this specific issue, it will be trashed in the first hearing. Further, Kejriwal went so far to say that he has no patience for Home Ministry's inquiry and wants the cops to be suspended immediately. We have millions of pending cases that may not be solved for next 400 years (yes, that's the estimate), however that doesn't mean we turn to mob justice and do away with the law. What's the difference between AAP and Khaap, then? That sort of stunt-baazi may look good in the gazzilion B grade Bengali films by Mithun da on vigilante justice but when an elected CM and his ministers do that its a matter of concern.

I was totally supporting Arvind Kejriwal...I actually thought that he wil become a great CM...he was the symbol of people's power truly in the hand of people... I was so inspired by his speeches against corruption and all... I thought that once Kejriwal comes to power, he wil wrk fr d ppl...solve their problems n show by his rule wat good governance is!!
Alas! My last ray of hope for our India has also been shattered...there r so many problems dat gulp India everyday...like poverty,corruption,population etc etc... Bt instead of focusing on dese issues, out sitting CM has decided to ignore all problems of Delhi and sit on a dharna  fr d sake of an insane minister😲... Being a CM, he is supposed to be even more responsible in maintaining n obeying law and order...instead he is the one motivating people to break law n order😲...is this how a state shud b run? by sitting on dharna fr every damn thing?😲... from being a revolutionist, Kejriwal had the opportunity to become a good governing CM and wrk fr d ppl... instead he has left the wrk to again revolt against Govt... This is just absurd wat he is doing...sitting on dharna is nt the solution fr everything...atleast he shud have waited n tokd to PM and President... this is just plain foolishness on part of Kejriwal😡😡

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Police inaction is never an excuse for vigilante justice and mob behavior.

Agreed, is is a wrong precedent and AAP should have avoided it !

I'm not a fan of the police, but before accusing the police of wrongdoing I would prefer to have an investigation to determine why action wasn't taken - was it genuine corruption and incompetence or lack of evidence or other factors preventing action.

Hades - Out of all the three suspensions demanded -2 were about those cops who refused to file case for a burnt girl for more than 5 months. Even when the minister and media interfered the cop refused. The govt was demanding his suspension so that an independent and biased free inquiry be carried out. Delhi CM has no power to investigate his police force, vigilance and law order, yet he is responsible for people's grievances  

He simply demanded that said cops be suspended till these cops are investigated - No action. Imagine the head of state having no control on the most basic law and order situation needs. 

His agitation was wrong but to most the demands were genuine simply because Delhi police should be accountable at State level. 

@Angie - Agree with everything you said. Just Sheila's demands seemed more of a joke considering she was in power for 15 years and had her own party at the centre for 10 years. Hence AAP or anybody else blamed her, if she was sincere enough she should have brought them under her control ages back?

AK should have suspended his own Law Minister , but ordered or demanded the police reforms. 

Unfortunately in all the drama his good work and vital schemes are going down the drain. He needs to calm down and collect himself before he makes these public statements. There is no way he can be the PM in this election. Hell his party should be happy if they manage double digit.  They need to go under ground for sometime and refrain from being the seen/heard too much.

Somewhere in all the noise the real intention and the real issues concerning the police force remain unheard. 

I liked how he got the electricity under CAG audit, removed the politicians from academic positions and other things. He should have carried on those issues rather than defending a Law Minister who got carried away with his vigilante behaviour.  
RTH and Rehan: No way am I justifying viligilante/mob justice, go back two pages and read my posts. I'm only saying that despite the blunder, their hearts seem to be in the right places and the intention was to address a nagging problem that the Police was seemingly ignoring for a long time. I still have faith on them.

Bharti-Kejri effed up majorly. But still I feel that its unfair to label them "hooligans" as far as their intentions are concerned. There were genuine constraints involved here in dealing with the drug racket in legal terms. I agree with RTH, there should've been an inquiry and also media highlight for this issue, not some juvenile Supermanism. They are overstepping their limits in populism and foolish comic-book idealism, but like I said, their hearts I believe are in the right places. That's precisely why I said that Kejri needs to wake up and stop being a screechy NGOvist before people stop taking him seriously. His baby steps of instilling the helpline and free water and electricity (albeit with riders) have already cemented his position with the public (at least in Delhi, AAP is yet to attain a strong presence in North and West India) as a viable future option for the Union seat. Now he should look at the deeper issues and take the reforms at their pace.Edited by krystal_watz - 10 years ago
bjp would have got about 28% of the votes, congress 22% because of minority votes.  bjp would have got about 210 seats and congress about 135. now with aap,

bjp 25%

aap 9%

congress 16%

now bjp will get about 250 - 270 seats thanks to aap.
Originally posted by mr.ass

bjp would have got about 28% of the votes, congress 22% because of minority votes.  bjp would have got about 210 seats and congress about 135. now with aap,

bjp 25%

aap 9%

congress 16%

Thats the grand scamgress-Atankvaad Aadmi Party startegy...God save the nation!!
Originally posted by mr.ass

bjp 25%

aap 9%

congress 16%

I'm confused how is 28% = 210 seats but 25% = 250-270 seats?

Originally posted by charminggenie

His agitation was wrong but to most the demands were genuine simply because Delhi police should be accountable at State level. 

@Angie - Agree with everything you said. Just Sheila's demands seemed more of a joke considering she was in power for 15 years and had her own party at the centre for 10 years. Hence AAP or anybody else blamed her, if she was sincere enough she should have brought them under her control ages back?

Genie agreed that the police needs to have some accountability towards an elected govt at the state level as without it the state govt would be quite helpless in ensuring law and order at the state level. The earlier govt of BJP, Congress both had demanded the same.  However, the fact is that Delhi only enjoys partial statehood till date and perhaps with good reason.  The law and order is dealt with by the Union Home ministry while the Delhi Development authority  (which owns a major chunk of land in Delhi) remains under the Union Urban Development  Ministry. Delhi remains more of a union territory than a state.

At present, the Delhi police though not accountable to the MLAs it is accountable to the Parliament, the law making body of the country. The trouble is that the citizens with law and order grievances would contact the MLA or the CM and not the  Union Home Minister or Lieutenant Governor.  At the same time putting it under the Delhi govt could mean unnecessary interference by MLAs in its working. Dividing Police bosses in two parts of the same city could lead to complete chaos.  Imagine a situation brought on by the recent  protest by the CM, who did not feel any  responsibility  for the Republic Day parade preparations that were on at that time. If the police dept was under his full control and should he decide that  as CM it was his prerogative to decide what the police should do and that it  was the central govt's call on maintaining security and protocol awarded to foreign dignitaries (invited guests)  and disregard the threats of a terrorist attack on such occasions!  Further,  Delhi police gets a huge budget and considerable autonomy as it is funded by the Centre and not by the state government. Putting it under the latter requires a constitutional amendment and may starve it of funds.  

So, I feel that  there are genuine concerns about giving full control to the state govt in Delhi though no control over law and order also does not seem practical. During her tenure as CM, Sheila Dikshit had  proposed that the  Centre can retain control over NDMC area and Delhi Cantonment, put the rest of the national capital under  the State .

^They can have at least partial control, if not full. A seperate order can be created just for the Delhi SG with limited and basic powers as opposed to more high-level engagements which should be retained by the force under the Union. Now the decisions regarding the powers to be accorded to the former could kick up another storm and another dharna, so...