Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ChannaMereya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Dibakar Banerjee opens up about DBB...

Dibakar Banerjee wrote the script of his upcoming sleuth drama Detective Byomkesh Bakshy' almost eight years ago as he wanted it to be his second film after Khosla Ka Ghosla'.

"Detective Byomkesh Bakshy was the first script I pitched in after I made Khosla Ka Ghosla'. But I didn't make it at that time because I was not skilled enough to tackle the subject at such an early stage of my career.

I feel with each passing year your understanding about a subject increases. I am happy that I didn't make the film in 2007-2008 just after Khosla...' released," Dibakar told PTI.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy', releasing on April 3, is based on eminent Bengali writer Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay's fictitious story. Dibakar, 45, whose last critically acclaimed outing Shanghai' was also based on Greek author's Vassilis Vassilikos novel Z', said cinema just cannot survive on original screenplays.

"Original screenplays are good. I have done Oye Lucky! Locky Oye!' and Love Sex aur Dhokha' but you need to vary it because everytime you can't come up with a premise and an idea all rolled into one. Books and novels talk about a lot of human experiences," he said. The National-award winning filmmaker accepted that adapting a book is a huge challenge because you have to make changes in the story without hampering the original content.
"It's definitely not easy to adapt a book because you needto know how to read it. Then you need to understand the difference between a book and a film. A book actually tells you what the characters are thinking. You need to whittle down the book you have read into a theme and a idea and a half and then only it becomes a successful film," he said.

Dibakar and his co-writer Urmi Juvekar, who also wrote the screenplay of Shanghai', finished the script in a year and after that they spent two years researching about theCalcutta of 1943, which was to play a key character in the story. "A successful detective story is about time and place. You cannot imagine Sherlock Homes' without Victorian London. Similarly, you cannot imagine Byomkesh Bakshy' without the mid 20th century Calcutta. It's a deeply present in the characters and in the story. One had to bring Calcutta alive" 

"You can't show a little bit of drama and take a documentary short of Calcutta. The story, character and the setting have to be integrated into one mass," he said. PK' actor Sushant Singh Rajput is playing the titular character in the movie, co-produced by Dibakar and Yash Raj Films. The director said he needed a young face on his way to stardom to play Byomkesh. "I wanted an actor who is on his way to become a star but is not bigger than his acting persona. I wanted a star who takes acting very seriously. I wanted a young actor who is vulnerable because Byomkesh in my film is on his first case," he said. The film also marks the debut of Divya Menon, who was the assistant of designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee, and plays the wife of Byomkesh. "I think I made many enemies in the industry for making this film. I took auditions of many actresses but I couldn't cast them because I wasn't creatively satisfied with them. Satyavati (his wife) is an essential character in the film," he said. The director has brought the rights of Bandyopadhyay's other Byomkesh Bakshi stories and hopes to give them big-screen treatment in the future. 

Minion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Dibakar Banerjee nervous about 'Detective Byomkesh Bakshy'; says he tried to stay true to the books

Pradhuman@ibnlivemovies
Sell Us Your Stereo NYC
Want to sell your High End Stereo?   We Pick Up Your Stereo & Pay Cash www.stereobuyers.com

New Delhi: Dibakar Banerjee's next, the highly awaited 'Detective Byomkesh Bakshy' is making all the right noises in the industry. The You tube teaser of the film has crossed well over a 1,000,000 views already. The film is adapted from Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay's crime thriller novels which have the Bengali detective Byomkesh Bakshi as the protagonist. Though the director has bought the rights for all the 33 novels featuring the Bengali sleuth, he is reluctant to say that his film is first of a series.

At the first ever Crime Writers Festival held in New Delhi he got down to talk about crime as a genre and Byomkesh Bakshy. Other panellists included actor Rajit Kapur who played the detective's role in the 1993 TV series and Bengali veteran actor Dhritiman Chaterji who will soon play the detective in an upcoming Bengali film. Dipakar confessed that he was very nervous about his film when asked about it by the fellow speakers.

"I have been fascinated by the stories and by Byomkesh's character since I read it for the first time. And when I read it I read all the 33 novels all together it took me maybe two to three years but I remember how deep an impression it had on me. So when I thought of making it as a film I was nervous. It was going to be my second film but I did not think I was mature enough as a film maker to take this on at that time," answered Dibakar when asked about his film and the experience of making it.

Shushant Singh Rajput in the poster of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!'. 

#dibakar banerjee #detective byomkesh bakshy! #swastika mukherjee #sharadindu bandyopadhyay

Talking about his adaptation of the character he said that he did not have much room for making creative changes and neither did he want to make any changes. "I am a probashiBengali. I was brought up here in Delhi and so for me Kolkata is the one I read in the books. I did not want to change the period or anything because it is not possible for me to imagine Byomkesh in another period than the Kolkata of 1940s. You think of Sherlock and it is in the Victorian period. So I went along with all the details I could get form the particular book which is set in 1943 and other research we did." 

Banerjee admitted to his fixation for the DD series 'Byomkesh Bakshi' and the books, and stated how he would look just like Rajit Kapur. "People would come up to me on the streets and ask me if I was Rajit Kapur, some would even ask if I was Byomkesh Bakshi. Once a man ran across the street screaming with excitement, and was nearly ran over by a DTC bus, just to ask me if I was Rajit Kapur. I would even wear the glasses like Byomkesh," narrated the Dibakar.

Banerjee's film is an adaptation of the first Byomkesh Bakshi case. Byomkesh in his film is young so he is making mistakes and 'messes up some times'. "That is also why I cast Shushant Singh Rajput to play the lead as he is young and not yet reached his full stardom" said the filmmaker and added that "the telling of the story is completely contemporary but as far as the content and details is concerned I have stayed true to the book and our research."

Dibakar also commented on the simplicity of the stories and said that he has tried to stay true to that. While Dibakar stated that the film does not have any songs, to which Rajit Kapur interrupted and asked if it at least had an item number. Dibakar laughed and said that it did not, but it does have a femme fatale character which is being played by Bengali actress Swastika Mukherjee.

nikitagmc thumbnail
^^So the tracks developed by Joint Family and other indie bands will be used in end credits or background cover only. Good. 
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Oooh yay, the trailer's gonna come in a few days! Can't wait. Finally something exciting. 
lentils thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I didn't know u guys had a thread going here. Here was an article I wrote recently.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi: The Indian Sherlock Holmes

Rate This

Sushant Singh Rajput and Dibakar Banerjee for Detective Byomkesh Bakshi (to be released 13 February, 2015)

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, a Dibakar Banarjee film produced by Aditya Chopra and starring Sushant Singh Rajput, is set to release on February 13, 2015. The film is based on the works of  Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay who wrote 30 some stories featuring the fictional detective Byomkesh Bakhshi. Byomkesh Bakshi is sometimes called the Indian Sherlock Holmes and not surprisingly as Bandyopadhyay was greatly influenced by the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Sherlock Holmes is one of the most popular fictional characters and it is fascinating because it has maintained its popularity for over 100 years. I am reading "the Canon," the major works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle featuring the famous detective, and they are wonderful.

Although the popularity of Sherlock Holmes never flattened at any point, there seems to be a re-emergence of its popularity. It has been remade countless of times in a variety of works in many countries. But I attribute this recent popularity to the Sherlock Holmes films and more specifically toBBC's Sherlock, which I wrote about recently. The BBC series and Benedict Cumberbatch's performance has been one of the most fascinating and influential things I have come across lately. The last I found myself so excited about something was a few years back when I saw Manichitrathazhu. There is even an American version of the Sherlock series called Elementary.

Robert Downey Jr. in Sherlock Holmes (2009)

BBC's series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman (2010-present)

CBS' Elementary starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu (2012-present)

Rajeev Khandelwal, dressed to look like BBC's Sherlock, in Samrat & Co (2014).

This worldwide re-emergence of love for our favorite detective has also found enthusiasts in Indian cinema. This year we had the release of Vidya Balan's Bobby Jasoos, which wasn't actually a crime thriller at all and Samrat & Costarring Rajeev Khandelwal, a sad attempt to copy BBC's Sherlock. There is another such film directed by Anurag Basu and expected to release in August 2015, Jagga Jasoos, starring Katrina Kaif and Ranbir Kapoor. I expect little from that film. But next up is perhaps the crime thriller with the most potential and also carrying the most risk, Dibakar Banarjee's Detective Byomkesh Bakshi. The film will be a period film, taking place in the 1940s, similar to the films starring Robert Downey Jr. It is not a modern version like BBC's Sherlock.

I have not read the original Byomkesh Bakshi stories. When I first heard of this film, my first response was "Oh no." I felt it was a bad move. It's such a risk to take on such a well known fictional character, especially when there are such amazing international productions out there on him already.

Rajit Kapoor in and as Byomkesh Bakshi, a TV series that ran in 1993 and 1997.

But this is not the first time that the Indian audience will see Byomkesh Bakshi on screen. There was a critically acclaimed television series called Byomkesh Bakshi that ran in 1993 and 1997 starring Rajit Kapur. Apparently, the series were quite good- intelligent, thrilling and humorous. There were also numerous films based on the character in the 60s and 70s. And more recently, an Anjan Dutt film in 2010. Surprisingly though, Bollywood has not produced much on the fictional detective. Most of the adaptations have come from Bengali regional cinema.

It would silly to think of this project as a copy of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. For Doyle himself was heavily influenced by Edgar Allen Poe's fictional character, Detective Dupin. When it comes to literature, and films, almost everything has been done before, somewhere, somehow. We are never getting something completely original. And that's fine as long as it is done intelligently, with class and value. My only concern is Sushant and whether he will be able to pull off this role. I believe he's a good actor, perhaps a bit too young for this role, but then again, that's what I thought about Benedict in Sherlock and I was completely wrong about that.

I think that Banarjee's film might turn out very good if he follows the same path as the much successful TV series. I plan on watching Detective Byomkesh Bakshi with an open mind. I try to do that with every film regardless. I think you will too. Hopefully, it won't disappoint.

Sherlock Holmes fans in Japan. Literature, music and films have no boundaries.

nikitagmc thumbnail
^^ Yes, I remember this article, someone had shared it. Good one! :) 
Minion23 thumbnail

Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose a part of Dibakar Byomkesh Bakshy?

Monday, 19 January 2015 - 6:20am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna 
    Shares

That Sushant Singh Rajput's upcoming film Detective Byomkesh is set in the 1940s with World War II as the background is known to all. A few days ago, there were reports about Hitler being the principle antagonist in the film. Now, we hear Dibakar Bannerjee's film may also bring alive Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on the big screen.

That Sushant Singh Rajput's upcoming filmDetective Byomkesh is set in the 1940s with World War II as the background is known to all. A few days ago, there were reports about Hitler being the principle antagonist in the film. Now, we hear Dibakar Bannerjee's film may also bring alive Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose on the big screen.

The Shanghai director has been championing the case of Subhash Chandra Bose' missing files. A lot has been speculated about the legendary freedom fighter's mysterious disappearance. And recently Banerjee too voiced his opinion on the same. He said at an event, "It is a very puzzling issue. Mystery is mystery but history cannot be mystery. History cannot be hidden and if my information tells me right, between the PMO and the external affairs ministry there are about 60 to 80 files on Netaji which are classified while they have declassified about ten." Why this sudden interest in the Netaji? Guess apart from Hitler, we'll get to see the freedom fighter in the film. After all, the film will take us back to '40s and that's when Netaji was campaigning for Indian Independence from Kolkata!

Minion23 thumbnail

Let's finish this unfinished business and complete this dialogue from the movie. But keep in mind that Byomkesh would like it to be witty. 

What's your take?

Embedded image permalink

nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: SushitaLover23

Let's finish this unfinished business and complete this dialogue from the movie. But keep in mind that Byomkesh would like it to be witty. 

What's your take?

Embedded image permalink

Seems like one of Byomkesh's famous dialogues from the book which will be there in the trailer too. 
Hope we come to know soon when the trailer will be out... Will be a day or two before Baby release I guess..
Edited by nikitagmc - 9 years ago
Palak_Paneer thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
 Most probably they may  release the trailer on 21 Jan .