Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: nikitagmc

Twitter response was mostly positive. We don't know the exact reason why they are supposedly upset.

Whatever the case may be, I am just hoping that this will make them sit up and come up with something good to push the film now.. if their product is good then they need not worry as there are almost 3 months now- they can still come up with good promos and marketing strategies.

Even IF response was positive. They can't expect it to have a response like teasers of D3/ETT. 

Yes, hopefully they will have a good marketing strategy in place to promote the film. I suppose trailer will come with PK now...I expected something else to have come out already. ๐Ÿ˜•
lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: chocolover89

Even IF response was positive. They can't expect it to have a response like teasers of D3/ETT. 

Exactly , feels like way too much of an overreaction for teaser views.. Like seriously, did they have some specific huge target in mind for the teaser of a movie having a two-film old actor?
The response online was in general positive..
Unless they are upset with YT comments like  "Booo , they copied James Bond "
Edited by lunza - 9 years ago
bonnefille thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I am not very sure if we can assume that the makers are "disheartened" by the response just because someone on Twitter says so. It could be one guy from the production who might have this opinion. YRF is not so dumb to be spreading word so early that they are not very happy with the response for the film's teaser. 
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
^ For the James Bond one...well they did copy him. So are they expecting people to jump and down and say loook yayyy they copied James Bond? ๐Ÿ˜†
Whatever...they should just release something new now. 
ChannaMereya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: KhanSinghTomar

then they shouldn't be worried about response either๐Ÿ˜‰

classes do watch youtube videos..my point is the teaser wasn't all that great, it was difficult to understand.
and when i say masses, i don't refer to single screen salman khan masses, i referred to broader general public..i am a neutral observer because i like DB movies and i belong to class. The response in youtube accurately reflects my disappointment 

Well i dont trust one random person telling they are disappointed to be gosspel truth๐Ÿ˜†
๐Ÿ˜† Sushant is 2 movies old  and  the product was liked by critics and  many more ppl it ofcourse is just a teaser and Many movies which do well not neccessarily have great response on teser  case in Point Queen  ,And even when teaser is great movie underperforms case is bang bang  , all that matters is movie at end
ChannaMereya thumbnail
bonnefille thumbnail
Recreating 1943 Kolkata in 'Byomkesh' a challenge, says filmmaker Dibakar Banerjee

Dibakar Banerjee's upcoming film 'Detective Byomkesh Bakshi' is set in 1940s Kolkata and the National-award winning filmmaker says it was a task for him to recreate the era of the city in the movie.

Set in 1943 Kolkata, 'Detective Byomkesh' stars Sushant Singh Rajput in the titular role besides Anand Tiwari and Bengali actress Swastika Mukherjee in other pivotal characters.

"'Byomkesh Bakshi' is one of the most challenging films of my career. It was a challenging task to recreate Kolkata (then Calcutta) because that was the time when Japan bombed Kolkata. We recreated the roads, trams and the famous China town of that era. All these were needed to portray the film in a really convincing way," Dibakar said.

To recreate the era of '40s, Dibakar had gone through series of research. "It was research work of two years. I have read many books set in that era to have a better understanding. I also spoke to people who still remember the city of that time. I researched through 1000 of photographs," he said.

As a kid, Dibakar never used to miss any episode of Basu Chatterjee's TV series 'Byomkesh Bakshi' and says since then he has been nurturing the dream to make a film on the fictitious detective character.

Dibakar, 45, who is behind critically acclaimed films like 'Shanghai', 'Love Sex aur Dhokha' among others, is looking forward to the release of the film.

"I always used to wait for the TV series when I was a 14-year-old kid. As a kid, I was very much intrigued by the fictitious Bengali detective and always wanted to give him a big screen adaptation. Now, as I am a filmmaker I am just fulfilling my childhood dream," Dibakar told reporters here on the sidelines of NFDC's Film Bazaar.

The film chronicles the early life of the famous sleuth created by writer Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay. 

Dibakar feels Sushant is apt for the film. "This film talks about the young days of Byomkesh who goes to college. I feel Sushant is such an actor who is standing onthe verge of stardom and super stardom. He doesn't talk much but he has a strong will power. These are few things which matches with Byomkesh's character," he said.

The filmmaker said though the film is set in the '40s, it will also address the issues of today's time.
bonnefille thumbnail

A sneak peek at Dibakar Banerjee's Detective Byomkesh Bakshy

The teaser of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy may not have broken the internet, but that hasn't dimmed producer-director Dibakar Banerjee's enthusiasm. Yesterday at Film Bazaar in Goa, Banerjee spoke about the Kolkata that he has imagined as the setting of his upcoming film. Banerjee was joined by his production designer Vandana Kataria, cinematographer Nikos Andritsakis, and associate creative producer, Vikas Chandra.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is Banerjee's adaptation of Saradindu Bandopadhyay's dhoti-wearing, quick-witted private eye who remains one of the most popular figures of Bengali literature. For many, the quintessential Byomkesh is the young Rajit Kapoor, who played the detective in a popular television series from the 1990s. Banerjee's Byomkesh is not cut from the same cloth. Set in 1943, just after the First Japanese Bombing Raid, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is a tribute to noir cinema. The mystery plays out against a dramatic political setting - Calcutta is in danger of being blitzed by the Japanese - and takes the audience into a shadowy, crime-stained Calcutta as imagined by Banerjee, Kataria and Andritsakis.

"His story is the dark underbelly of Calcutta of 1943 which in itself kind of moves between reality and fantasy," said Kataria, who along with Chandra has spent a long time researching the city's history in order to build Detective Byomkesh Bakshy's sets. "The story does that so the production design also does that. It very cleverly moves from real to fantasy, and back to real." Banerjee wouldn't give out any clues about the plot ofDetective Byomkesh Bakshy, but he did state quite emphatically that the film is not historical, despite all the research that has gone into its design. Instead, it's a fantastical vision of Calcutta as Banerjee imagined it as a teenager addicted to Bengali murder mysteries.

"I think inside me there is a 14 year old Bengali boy who is forever on holiday," said Banerjee, describing how his most persistent memories are of going to his aunt's house and sitting at a windowsill with a pulpy detective novel. "There would be murders, there would be a body count, there'd be car chases, there'd be those noir locations in Calcutta," he recalled. "All that that has had a grip on my imagination for a long time and I always had a love for pulp, not that it has shown in many of my films."

Pulp as Banerjee and his team imagine it may not be exactly how most people understand the terms. There are no lurid colours in Detective Byomkesh Bakshy and neither is there shrieking or any other over-the-top element. In fact, to keep the colours in the film muted, Banerjee, Kataria and Andritsakis decided to change the season in which the film was set. "Originally this film was set in summer," said Kataria. "But we decided to give it a winter twist because the common man of that time wears the homespun, the white, and in a noir film, we just did not want whites popping out. So we chose winter, so that everybody could have dark clothes on them." Detective Byomkesh Bakshy's final palette is cool spectrum of greys and browns, punctuated by splashes of stark white and rich jewel colours. The light lacks warmth, the shadows loom and smoke " whether it's winter haze or cigarette smoke " lazily rings around buildings and characters.

The original plan for Detective Byomkesh Bakshy was to shoot it entirely on location in Kolkata, but that proved to be too expensive. Ultimately, Banerjee shot the bulk of the film in a Mumbai set and settled for just a few scenes (mostly set in exterior locations) in Kolkata. "We found out that some of the structures that we wanted to shoot inside, in Calcutta, were 100 to 120 years old and it was not safe for us to shoot," said Banerjee.

"Then we found out that to find the old streets in Calcutta and shoot on them would mean blocking traffic, because it's period so we'd have to change the traffic and the set, and we would only be able to shoot on weekends. Boom! Again, that means our 70 day schedule becomes 120 days. So another chunk of Kolkata exteriors came to Mumbai." However, Banerjee did shoot a few scenes in Kolkata, as a result of which Kataria and her team ended up working with the city's municipal corporation to repaint buildings and spruce up certain stretches to match the elegance of Calcutta in the 1940s. Most of the film, however, was shot in Mumbai on an elaborate set. Whatever problems the lack of funds threw at the film, Banerjee and gang countered with meticulous planning.

Keeping this in mind, it's poetically fitting that Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is a tribute to noir films because this genre was initially created by filmmakers who had shoestring budgets and so filled their frames with shadows so that they wouldn't have to make a detailed set.

"I grew up on film noir," said Andritsakis, who was the cinematographer on LSD: Love, Sex Aur Dhokha and Shanghai. This time, however, the film looks far more vintage and stylised than Andritsakis's earlier work with Banerjee. "I really felt like a child with my toys on set because you can create so many things with hard lighting because it doesn't spread everywhere so you can really paint the image," said the cinematographer. Hard lighting refers to an old technique of using direct light that sharpens definition and was used extensively in noir films to lend ominous gloom to a setting. Straddling contemporary cool with the visual tropes of noir, Andritsakis played around with how he used light Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. For one scene, shot on location in Kolkata, he had a canopy of black cloth stretching from rooftop to rooftop. "We just did not want to have the sun so much," he recalled. "We laid black cloth above the buildings and that was like half a day's work. Like 30 people to put on the black sheets, but it immediately transformed the way the whole street looked."

Another trick that Andritsakis used was to use stretched pantyhose for a softening effect. "The contemporary cameras and lenses are very sharp," he said. "Normally, they use filters in front of the camera, to soften; really expensive, high-tech filters in front of the lens. We used to take women's stockings and stretch them behind the lens like they used to do back in the day when they didn't have filters."

Banerjee toying with the idea of adding a grainy texture to the film. "Nikos has an idea to bounce back our negative and then bounce back on digital and see," said Banerjee. "So genuinely, physically degrade the image a bit and then come back to the projection quality image so that what you're projecting has a bit of a grain and some of that imperfection that has, over the last 100 years, become the signature of the film look in our brains."

Illusion is a large part of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. After all, Banerjee, Kataria and Andritsakis have managed to make a set made up of a couple of avenues and seven streets seem like an entire city. Andritsakis figured out the direction in which the set should be built so that it catches light the best and then, the process of first building the set and then ageing it to look realistic followed. "Ageing is a huge process of all Dibakar Banerjee films," said Kataria. "This is my third and you can't give him clean walls or clean clothes. But the truth about Calcutta is that even in 1943, it was a 150, 200 year old city. So even in 1943, there are buildings there that are 100, 150 years old. So we've got to make them look like that."

From the still photographs that Banerjee shared, the final set looks beautifully weathered. It's a Calcutta crafted out of nostalgia, research and a very contemporary aesthetic that appreciates the elegance of distressed surfaces and crumbling grandeur. See it without sepia-tinted romanticism and you might notice that this is just a shade too pretty to be a real street, but Kataria has spared no effort in making her set as credible as possible. "I've put atta on walls and heat treated them to get papri out," she said. "I have put tissue paper and heated to get flakes out. I've just tried all kinds of things. I've got dust and blown dust on the set for two days. Thrown water on set to get the trickle-down. Got moss to develop slowly. Made drains, put dirt there, let the drains flow. There was a whole actual reality process that we brought into it. I think it shows and it helps, and it feels real."

Whether or not this is going to win over audiences, remains to be seen. Banerjee has already made a few Bengalis grumble with his decision to set the film in 1943 but not mention the famine that was raging through Bengal during that time. As far as Banerjee is concerned, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is a fantasy and its story has no place for the harsh reality of skeletal, starving bodies that lined the streets of historical Calcutta in the 1940s. "What you're doing is not recreating Calcutta of 1943," said Banerjee. "You're creating the illusion of Calcutta in 1943 for people who are living in 2015."

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi is expected to release in February 2015.

www.firstpost.com/bollywood/sneak-peek-dibakar-banerjees-detective-byomkesh-bakshy-shows-calcutta-made-nostalgia-1818697.html#

raj80 thumbnail
The film set in 1940's is making it more interesting...
ChannaMereya thumbnail
Credit Bonne

Why Sushant Singh Rajput Was Perfect For Byomkesh Bakshy

Filmmaker Dibakar Banerjee says that actor Sushant Singh Rajput was perfect for the lead role of his upcoming sleuth drama film Byomkesh Bakshy, because he was the most unlikely person for the role. The director explained, "A detective cannot be something that you'd expect. Because then it's not a very good detective. Byomkesh is very perceptive and he lets you talk and he himself doesn't talk and then figures out what you're trying to hide from him. And Sushant doesn't talk very much, he listen and absorbs."

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/why-sushant-singh-rajput-was-perfect-for-byomkesh-bakshy/346034

Also,