Minion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Sushant: No mystery in why he took on Detective Byomkesh Bakshi!'

Actor plays Indian sleuth in Dibaker Banerjee's film, out on Thursday

By Manjusha Radhakrishnan, Senior Reporter
March 30, 2015
Image Credit: 

Bollywood indie film director Dibaker Banerjee is well aware that a bankable Indian star who enjoys a rockstar status may shy away from working with him. He's demanding and doesn't care for nursing actors' fragile egos. He wants his leading actor to think, contribute ideas on how to play the character and be willingly consumed by the creative madness of it all.

Fortunately, he found his match in rising star Sushant Singh Rajput, who plays the title role in Detective Byomkesh Bakshi!, out in the UAE this Thursday.

"I didn't have a brief for him... We discovered detective Byomkesh together," said Banerjee in an interview with tabloid!

"Sushant lost 10-12kg for the role, he went through an orientation programme on how to be a Bengali. He walked the streets of Kolkota anonymously and spent time with a Bengali family. He observed how the men wore their dhotis and studied how they ate their fish and rice. He read many books and had many workshops. So he would rehearse in the day and make notes about his character in the night," said Banerjee. Such painstaking preparations are mostly unheard of in Bollywood, where many actors take pride in being spontaneous. 

Produced by Yash Raj Films and Dibaker Banerjee Productions, Detective Byomkesh Bakshi! is a whodunit based on the literary figure created by Bengali writer Sharadindu Bandhyopadhyay. They have purchased the rights of all the existing 31 novels, and the film, which is set in the 1940s war-torn Kolkota, follows the first adventure of Byomkesh, who is fresh out of college, and unwittingly takes on an evil genius who is out to destroy the world.

"Looking Bengali was the most fundamental and easiest thing for an actor to do. The tough part was to nail Byomkesh's body language and understand how an ordinary guy who's placed in a complex situation would react. It is important to change your pattern of thinking. It was complicated," said Rajput. The Patna-born actor, who made his debut in the universally-liked Kai Po Che! in 2013 and is now working with Oscar-nominated director Shekhar Kapoor in the futuristic water-wars saga Paani, describes his role as his career's "finest performance". He was last seen in the blockbuster PK, as the smitten Pakistani exchange student in Europe.

"Detective Byomkesh Bakshi! has changed my perspective towards how I approach my art. I have never been told to approach a character like this before. Dibaker was very organic in his thought process. He wanted me to think," said Rajput. Both believe that India can now cease looking to the West for an intriguing sleuth.

"Byomkesh was imagined, conceived and written years ago in India. So we don't need to look at Sherlock Holmes when we have our own detective in India. But the main challenge was when you take a detective figure from a book and transplant it in a film. Reading a detective book is a different experience when compared to watching one. The tough part was to change that literary experience to a cinematic experience. I want the people to enjoy the thrill that the detective is going through. I want the viewer to enjoy that chase between the criminal and the detective," said Banerjee. The director, who is the creator of delightful comedies such as Khosla Ka Ghosla and Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, has just a couple of requests for viewers: don't text or tweet while watching the film.

"This is one film where you need to be alert at all times. Be distracted and you miss a vital clue to the whole puzzle. Also, watch it with your detective brains switched on because every shot, every scene is a clue," said Banerjee. Detective Byomkesh Bakshi! is his labour of love. 

"The legwork for Detective Byomkesh was huge. It took around two years to construct that 1940s era. We wanted to construct that period through sets, costumes and sounds. The sounds in 1943 were different from the sounds of 2015. It was a cycle that involved costume detailing and massive pre-production work. But we didn't throw money at the problems, we threw planning at it," said Banerjee. 

At the time of our interview, the director had just wrapped up the sound mixing for the film. It was nearing midnight and he was still switched on.

For Rajput, it was a combination of factors that led him to accept the part on Detective Byomkesh Bakshi!. Apart from being hooked onto Indian detective serials such as Tehkikaat, Karam Chand and Rajit Kapoor's Private Eye since childhood, Rajput is convinced that there's a hole when it comes to sleuths in India.

"Byomkesh cuts a stylish figure... And I don't say yes' to a film based on whether it's commercially viable or not. Or what is expected of me. I react to the script and if it's fun I jump on board irrespective of the genre. I found this film very fascinating. Initially, there were many things I did not understand about the film, but what made me say yes' is that Dibaker was very sure about it," said Rajput, who won hearts in his role as a commitment-phobic guy in the comedy Shuddh Desi Romance

So the big question remains whether Rajput looks Bengali enough for the role?

"Agreed, it's easier to present a Sardar in a Hindi film to Indians because we see more of them in North India... But I am actually convinced that every Indian looks more or less alike. In my films, Abhay Deol, a Punjabi, has acted as a Tamil government official and in Khosla Ka Ghosla, Boman Irani who's a Parsi has acted as a Punjabi. If a Parsi can become a Khurrana and a Deol can become a Krishnan, then I am sure Sushant will pull this off." 

According to Rajput, their battle is half won if they can generate the what's next' thought in a viewer.

"We want the viewers to be hooked to our story from the start. And if we sustain that curiosity, we have won the battle." 

Don't miss it!

Detective Byomkesh Bakshi! releases in the UAE on Thursday.

Minion23 thumbnail

MARK BENNINGTON

And so it begins... Off to Bombay tomorrow for the world premiere of "DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY"- A YashRajFilms production, directed by the incomparable Dibakhar Banerjee. #DBB #YRF #DBP#bombay #bollywood #hindicinema #markandtaapsi#bollywoodgora #whiteguy

majoni03 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
on the sets of CID
Embedded image permalink
Embedded image permalink
majoni03 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Sushant Singh Rajput

"I'm still the same inquisitive guy, filled with excitement"

By Ankita R. Kanabar

(This interview has been published in the March 28, 2015 issue of Super Cinema)

Just as he walks through the corridors of Yash Raj Films, you sense something different. Maybe it's the walk. This man isn't really walking like himself. That's more like Detective Byomkesh Bakshy's' walk - brisk and confident. Dressed stylishly in a cream t-shirt with dhoti-pants, Sushant Singh Rajput further justifies that he is still in the Byomkesh' mode while he promotes the film. Though, the slightly long hair tied into a little pony is clearly for the Dhoni biopic that he's prepping for. Now you know this guy definitely is doing something right, despite being relatively new. One minute he is easygoing, and another, he is serious enough about his craft to get all animated to explain you things. That's probably what makes for a very interesting conversation with him. Excerpts:  

Photo credit : R. Burman
So, you are one of those actors who go the method way to the extent of even learning to eat like your character does...
Whenever you do any film, your goal is always to convince people that you're the character. For a film like Detective Byomkesh Bakshy', we were talking about a Bengali boy in the 1940s, so it needed to look that way. You have to get the basics correct. The only thing I was told was to not learn the language, rest everything from the art to the culture of Kolkata has been incorporated in the script. We took the liberty for the language because it's a Hindi film and we didn't want to dilute it by bringing in the Bengali accent. Apart from that, I working on everything else. From playing a detective to a cricketer or someone else, I have to prepare because I have to first convince myself that I can be that character. Only if I convince myself, will I be able to convince the audience.

This being a period film, was it more difficult to relate to the character, than say a Kai Po Che' or Shuddh Desi Romance'?
Of course it was very challenging, but I don't think that playing a guy of the last ten or fifteen years is easier than playing a hero from 1940s. Even if you essay a character that is of today, you have to change so many things, because he's a different person all together. For playing Byomkesh though, I had to do a lot. For instance, there was only radio or telegram at that time, no mobile phones, no internet, so one had to keep all these things in mind while acting. What happens is when you act, you prepare a lot to get to a point where you let go. You have to be very sure that when you let go, you think like the character. If we have to talk to someone, the first thing is to grab a phone. Now changing that feeling, requires time. You have to stay in that zone for so many days just so you're convinced. I wasn't using my phone for about four to five months. I wasn't reading newspapers, watching TV or using the internet.

Is that why you made a conscious decision to go into your shell and completely stay away from the media as well before you began shooting for Detective Byomkesh...'? If the script is different, if the world is different, if the character in your head is different than who you are, you have to do it. There's no other way. You have to live the character for a certain period of time before you start shooting for it. Like I mentioned earlier, the first step is to convince yourself that you are that character, and the only way to do that is to stay in that zone for a while before you actually start shooting. But, while it's challenging fit into the mould and later come out of it, that's the most exciting part. We're so used to living like our own self, that it's very tempting and exciting to change for a character, and then again come back to the neutral state when the film is over. That transformation is exciting.

Before Kai Po Che' released, you'd told me you were so inquisitive, you'd 
remain on the set even when your shot was done, to just learn the technical aspects. From then to now, how much has changed?
(smiles) It's not something I'm supposed to do, but it interests me, because you learn so much. Film-making involves a lot of things - the lighting, the lenses, cinematography and I'm very curious. During Detective Byomkesh..' Dibakar used to give me a track which isn't there in the film, but he'd ask me to listen to it so I get the flavor of the film or a particular scene right. Now I learnt to do that, so, that's just one change from Kai Po Che'. Another thing is, I've learnt a lot about the lighting. For instance, if there's a scene, and I'm talking to a co-actor, I would stand at a spot where the light would fall on my eye because sometimes just a visual says so much. So, just getting these little things right helps so much.

Photo credit: R. Burman
Is there also a difference between how you felt then, and now?
I think, I'm happier now, because of the sheer experience of working on different characters. Otherwise, I'm still the same inquisitive guy, filled with excitement. It's just that, because I'm surviving, and getting to work with different film-makers on different scripts, is why I'm happier now than when I started out.

And while films do make you very happy, what is it that gratifies your soul?
Here's the thing. When I'm giving a take, say it's a fourth or fifth take and I feel something, I can sense something. Sometimes, after the take I can sense that I did something which I'd never planned but it was good. There's a gap of two-three seconds and then the director says okay'. That moment is what excites me - to feel you've done something right and then get a validation for that. I always crave for validation from my director, because I know that he's intelligent enough and is one of reasons why you've said yes to the film.

Have you now been able to let go off the methods of the TV? In the sense that there it's more spontaneous, because you have to meet deadlines every day. Films you get time to prepare.
Yes, but I feel that a good actor on TV is a good actor. It's not like actors on TV aren't good, because you're given so many pages in a day, you have to learn the dialogues, act it out. More importantly, do it well, so you have those TRPs every week. Even the technicians are so skilled. It's difficult so, television teaches you a lot in that sense. On the other hand, for a film, you're only working on a character for six months and then move to another so that's very fascinating, and everything is more well-planned. So even though the process may be different, the acting part is similar. Very frequently we confuse being confident in front of the camera to spontaneity. We get confused. But the point is, because you're playing another character, your spontaneity is different from theirs; we are all different. Normally people think, he prepares a lot, so he isn't spontaneous. But, we prepare for so long to get to a point where the character can be spontaneous.

Since the last few years, there's been no dearth of newcomers in our films. Somehow, you've always come across as very secure in your space...
It's not like I'm secure. I've not met anyone in my life who's not insecure. Everyone is. But the only reason why I'm in a state of peace is because my excitement is ten times my insecurity.

Minion23 thumbnail
Sushant on DID Super Moms!!

http://www.fuzionproductions.com/sushant-singh-rajput-turned-detective-byomkesh-bakshy-greets-you-this-april/
Minion23 thumbnail
Byomkesh Bakshy @byomkeshbakshy  

Do you believe these characters are innocent? Or are they suspects? Mystery unveils in 3 days.

Embedded image permalink
Minion23 thumbnail
User Actions
 Following
Sushant S RajputVerified account@itsSSR

Hahaha..Fab evening with #geetakapur #terrence and our very own #HeroNo.1 ..!! @ZeeTV @byomkeshbakshy #DIDSuperMoms

Retweeted
Favorited
More
bonnefille thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Top 10 Posters From The Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Design Contest Are In. And They Are Awesome!

Amita Ghose

SW Staff Writer

Dibakar Banerjee's film Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is all set to release on Friday, April 3. Starring Bollywood's guy-to-look-out-for Sushant Singh Rajput in the lead, the promotional team for the film is going all out to make this one unique.

Team Byomkesh recently arranged a poster design competition, modelled after its graphic novel-styled official poster. The top ten entries they received from creative, yet active movie lovers are nothing short of extraordinary.

And guess what? We got our hands on all 10 of them.

The first poster, made by Arka Chakraborty, won the contest. 

Dibakar Banerjee shares the reason for picking Arka's design: "Because there is some air of mystery in it. You get to see the detective, detective's sidekick and the villain who is not revealed. Simple and minimalistic."

1. Expect the unexpected

Poster by Arka Chakraborty.

2. The classical mystery

Poster by Abhishek Choudhury.

3. Dark nights and Byomkesh

Poster by Ashraf Ghori

4. The patient observer

Poster by Ashwani Singh

5. Bhadralok in action

Poster by Jairam Ramachandran

6. The deceiving spy

Poster by Manoj Nath

7. Drama reloaded

Poster by Mukund Narayan

8. Private eye-ing

Poster by Shabaz Khan

9. The safeguard of truth

Poster by Souvik Mitra

10. Ready to startle all

Poster by Swarnava Bera

Which one do you think is the most interesting?

Edited by bonnefille - 9 years ago