Users

Frequent Posters

Minion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
User Actions
 Following
Faridoon Shahryar@iFaridoon

Selfie time with mercurial @itsSSR after an in depth conversation bout movies n his thoughts on life #TalkingFilms

Retweeted
Favorited
More
Faridoon Shahryar @iFaridoon  

It was wonderful chatting with @itsSSR esp coz he loves to read;intrsting views on life.He likes 2 solve Maths problems whn he's in stress.

19 retweets12 favorites
 Retweeted19
 Favorited12

Minion23 thumbnail

User Actions
  Follow 
RJ Urmin@RJUrmin

The Super performance and the Super Love !! Thank u soo much @itsSSR for all ur love :)

Byomkesh Bakshy, Fever 104 FM and Yash Raj Films
Retweeted
Favorited
More

User Actions
  Follow 
RJ Urmin@RJUrmin

The @byomkeshbakshy Fever !! With @itsSSR @Fever_104FM

Retweeted
Favorited
More

User Actions
  Follow 
RJ Urmin@RJUrmin

And here's @byomkeshbakshy @itsSSR .. What a super super time !! More pictures comin up..

Retweeted
Favorited
More

Edited by SushitaLover23 - 9 years ago
Minion23 thumbnail
User Actions
  Follow 
@RJAlleyah

Oops! @RJUrmin @itsSSR during radio intervew today!! @yrf @Fever_104FM

New Delhi, Delhi
Retweeted
Favorited
More
User Actions
  Follow 
@RJAlleyah

Pavitra Joineee!! @itsSSR @Fever_104FM @yrf

New Delhi, Delhi
Retweeted
Favorited
More
User Actions
  Follow 
@RJAlleyah

That Awww Moment !! @itsSSR Lots of love from the whole @Fever_104FM team .. @yrf

New Delhi, Delhi
Retweeted
Favorited
More
Minion23 thumbnail

Movies

Home > News > Meiyang Chang's role specially designed for DETECTIVE BYOMKE...

Meiyang Chang's role specially designed for DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY

March 20, 2015 4:10:34 PM IST
By Rachana Sheth, Glamsham Editorial
Send to Friend
Last seen in BADMAASH COMPANY, Meiyang Chang is now geating up for the highly anticipated film of the year DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY, directed by Dibakar Banerjee.

MEIYANG CHANG PHOTO GALLERY
MEIYANG CHANG PHOTO GALLERY 

While Sushant Singh Rajput plays the title role, Meiyang Chang plays the small yet significant role in DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY. "It's a small role and not the main character yet it takes the story to another level.  I am one of those characters which were never part of the original Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. It has been specifically designed for newer BYMOKESH BAKSHY," says Meiyang.

He further adds about his character, "I am playing a licensed drug dealer, who basically deals in opium, however authorized by government. My character is from Chinese Bengali heritage, a mixed race, which started to form around 40s and 50s."

Meiyang reveals that there are multiple plots running in the film.   

"The central story is about a gang from SHANGHAI, who are into smuggling of opium. Though I play a licensed dealer, my character is also an expert in illegal dealings of drugs in the film. I happened to meet Sushant's character, who is engaged in solving his first case and meets many people in the film," he discloses.   

"While one aspect is about a drug-peddler, there's a plot running simultaneously on Chinese gangsters involved in the film," he adds.

Meiyang also reveals that new DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY is little different from the original and also the novel. Its bit modified. "The old Byomkesh Bakshy played by Rajit Kapur was very simple. The newer one which is helmed by Dibakar is much complicated." 

Produced by YRF, the film also stars Anand Tiwari, Swastika Mukherjee and Divya Menon hits theatres on April 3rd, 2015.

Minion23 thumbnail

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!
Director : Dibakar Banerjee
Music : Madboy Mink and Sneha Khanwalkar
Lyrics : Madboy Mink
Starring : Sushant Singh Rajput, Anand Tiwari, Swastika Mukherjee, Divya Menon and Meiyang Chang

March 20, 2015 6:38:28 PM IST
By Rafat, Glamsham Editorial
Send to Friend

Yash Raj Film's and Dibakar Banerjee Productions, DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY is a mystery/thriller film based on a fictional detective of the same name set during the World War 2 , in Calcutta, now Kolkata. Music by Sneha Khanwalkar and Madboy Mink and others is expected to relive that tumultuous and intriguing era.

DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY VIDEOS
DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY VIDEOS 

Famous Indian band, Madboy Mink's 'Calcutta Kiss' is a take on their own super hit number, 'Taste Your Kiss' and it was done at the request of the director who loved it, and after hearing it, one must admit, he was spot on. Musician and singers, Imaad Shah and Saba Azad render the number with elan and finesse. The lovely jazz /swing rhythm springs up the retro / period theme of the detective film.

A host of famous artists like Gowri Jayakumar, Big Deal (famous rock/pop international band), Thomas Andrews, Trevor, Smokey The Ghost, Craz Professa come together for a rap number , 'Bach Ke Bakshy' (at times similar to Baba Sehgal and Yo Yo) which gets anthemic in its chorus. It throws light on the lead's character and his thrilling lifestyle.

CHECK OUT: DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY songs lyrics

A totally English number to start with, 'Byomkesh In Love' (by Blek) the song gets semi-classical afterwards. It's a nice fusion attempt and Rishi Bradoo, Anil Bradoo and Usri Banerjee render this very 'hatke' number.

Another league se hatke romantic number, 'Jaanam' (by Peter Cat Recording Company), sung by Suryakant Sawhney makes for an interesting hear with arrangements that bring about the essence of romance during that bygone era. 

'Chase In Chinatown' (by Mode AKA) is an instrumental piece that seems to be like an opening credits of a film of the 60s-70s in sync with the retro settings, with some disturbed background rockish un-deciphered vocals, rendered by Vyshnav Balasubramaniam, Sandeep Mahadevan and Manav Ullas. 

It's almost hard rock with electric guitar that sets pace for another English number, 'Life Is A Bitch' (by New Delhi band Joint Family) sung by Akshay De in hoarse broken rockish vocals that convey the disturbed state of mind of the protagonist with the intermittent 'my life sucks'.

CHECK OUT: DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY Wallpapers 

'Yang Guan Lives' (by IJA) is another rockish instrumental piece that would be used as a background score during the very dramatic and thrilling moments of the film. 

The audio of Yash Raj's DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY is too league se hatke for the comfort (in fact it's too radical) of ordinary cinema thronging 'junta' and even though the soundtrack is classy it does not leave a very lasting impression. Our pick, 'Calcutta Kiss' which is absolutely first rate. The music may translate well on screen and will be understood in the scheme of things after the release of the film on April 3.

Rating : 
3/ 5 stars
Minion23 thumbnail
Minion23 thumbnail

Originally posted by: majoni03

Byomkesh Bakshy @byomkeshbakshy 

@itsSSR visited @Fever_104FM Studios today in his DBB avatar. And inspired by him, the RJ's were spotted in dhotis. 

Minion23 thumbnail

I need chaos in my life

- Swastika mukherjee on channelling her dark side to play the deadly' Anguri Devi in detective Byomkesh Bakshy!

Her WhatsApp status reads: And thus I clothe my naked villainy and seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Well, devil she is as Anguri Devi in Dibakar Banerjee's April 3 release Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!. With "butterflies" in her stomach, Swastika Mukherjee settles down to chat with t2 about playing a "deadly, mystery woman", about her men and the way she wants to lead her life. All this while sipping on watermelon juice at The Bridge in The Park.

Are the butterflies multiplying every day as the release of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! comes closer?

I'm enormously excited. The fact that I have played such an important role in Dibakar Banerjee's film, produced by Yash Raj Films, is not really sinking in! And what should I say about Anguri Devi? It's the most difficult role I've ever played. I have been working for 12 years and I think I have never portrayed such an intense character with so many shades.

Tell us about the first shot on the sets of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!. How did it go?

See, I was working with complete strangers and I had to speak my dialogues in Hindi and look picture perfect. Just getting ready every day would take three hours. I had chopped off my hair and the curling used to happen every day. For the 20 days of my shoot, I slept with 50 rollers on my head! I used to take a shower with the rollers on. I used to open it just before the shot. The curls had to be of the same size. It was a very tedious process.

It's very different from a Bengali film set. So much comfort is given to the actors. And during the shot there's pin-drop silence, unlike in Bengali films where the director has to shout silence' even after saying action'! So you immediately get into that zone. On the first day, my shot was to sit on a sofa with some papers in my hand. And while I was seated waiting for Dibakar to say action, my hands and knees were trembling. I thought I would faint!

And just imagine, my very first scene was a heated argument with Sushant Singh Rajput (who plays Byomkesh). I gave some three-four takes and then said Kato'! Actually the button of my blouse came off. In the scene Sushant had his hands on my shoulders and he was insisting that Anguri give him some information and my blouse tore! Sushant is so sweet, he kept saying sorry. Dibakar isn't someone who will leave you till he has extracted the best. I have never been pushed so much. Then there are the seducing-Byomkesh scenes, which we did on the first day. Byomkesh is on his toes with Anguri because she is so unpredictable.

Are there lots of seduction scenes?

Yes, that's what Anguri is all about. She is a seductress. She is always trying to play one against the other. She is one hell of a woman. She is sad, sorry, miserable, strong, vulnerable... You won't know who she actually is.

Is she like you?

No. I think actors have one or two common factors that they connect with the character they play, nothing beyond that. I am not like Anguri. I've never needed to seduce a guy. Guys are not that difficult to handle. Anguri had a lot of things going on in her mind. I am very lazy. I don't want to work so much on men! But yes, she is a little like me in the way that she is emotional and wants to have a home of her own, so in that way I could relate to her.

Tell us how you landed the role...

I had got a call and was asked to go for an audition. I had never given an audition, ever, and was reluctant. But when I heard it was for Dibakar Banerjee's film, I got excited. I went dressed like Anguri and after 12 takes they asked me to take my make-up off. I was very nervous and told them that I would come back the day after. I went back and gave 16 takes. Then the wait started. After six months they asked me to block my dates for the next four months. Then I met Dibakar and we spoke at length about Anguri. I travelled to Bombay thrice before the shoot. I had trial sessions and look tests, I went to Manish Malhotra's studio. The team had researched for two years, so you can imagine the amount of references they had. I was bowled over by the amount of homework Manish had done for the costumes. Everything was period correct. From the snake and fox rings that Anguri would wear to every little detail. They created a signature style for her. Even the rings speak of the dangerous, wild woman that she is. She lives with a hypnotising aura. She is never normal.

You are an inhibition-free actress. That certainly must have worked in your favour since your role demanded the performer to be comfortable with showing skin or doing intimate scenes...

Yes. When Dibakar chose me he must have figured that out. Like Anguri, I am never calm! I am very volatile. (Laughs) It helped because if I were a very calm, settled woman, if everything was happy in my life, I don't think I would have been able to portray Anguri Devi. She's deadly. She's like a snake... There's a bathtub scene which was shot over 11 hours in one day, and I was sitting in the bathtub in my birthday suit! That was very difficult because after a few hours my skin started to itch.

Any other sequence that was as challenging?

There's a scene where Anguri is intoxicated during a conversation with Byomkesh and we shot that on the second day. I had requested Dibakar if we could do it some other day. But then I realised every scene is difficult. Dibakar would always say, Tumi toh? Tumi bolei parbe'!

What did you learn and unlearn as an actress while working in the film?

I don't believe an actor can learn and unlearn a lot while playing a character. When you are working in an unknown territory you are bound to have new experiences, you will have an emotional turmoil while playing a character like Anguri Devi. That's what we actually mean when we say we learnt.

Dibakar pushed me till I told him that I didn't know any other way to emote in a scene! I learnt that a dialogue could be spoken in 10 different ways. And I also realised that if I hadn't experienced so much in my personal life, I couldn't have played Anguri. Playing Anguri Devi helped me grow as a person. I feel that I am an actress first and everything else comes second. So even when I am having a horrible fight with someone, the actress in me takes an upper hand. It comes to my mind immediately that I have to use this in a film. For me being an actress is like a 24x7 job.

A lot of people in Tollywood think that Swastika Mukherjee is deadly!

(Laughs out loud) If you don't have deadly experiences, you don't grow as a human being and for me I have to grow as an actor. My performance will be such that people will remember. I am that desperate when I am in front of the camera. Like now I have to go to the court on and off and I remind myself that I am going to use it somewhere. I will not let any experience go without putting it on screen. I don't forget the good things or the worst, and I don't forgive either. But I don't think I am deadly. I am very soft! (Laughs)

There were talks of Yash Raj Films banning you from all kinds of publicity. Has that been resolved?

I don't know. For them the film is much more important than messing around with people's personal lives. I heard that I was being banned from the Tollywood industry! (Laughs) It's okay. The censor board is banning the usage of certain words, so we are on a banning spree.

The past year has been quite a roller-coaster for you, from your relationship with Suman Mukhopadhyay to getting involved in one controversy after another. What comes to your mind when you look back?

All the years have been a roller-coaster for me! I think things have been blown out of proportion. A lot of things shouldn't have happened. People could have been less vindictive. But if I have chosen to be like this, then so be it. Once you've agreed to a certain kind of life, then you know these will happen and people will talk. But my life is actually not so happening.

Does all this make you depressed?

No. I only have depression attacks when my pets (Sheru, Chintamoni and Bhoda) are unwell. And I have sleep issues for which I see a doctor. But for these? Nooo!

In your case, what do you think causes a relationship to end?

I am chaotic and I need chaos in my life. There can be one million reasons (for a break-up). Everybody goes through break-ups. Relationship is a very heavy word and comes with a lot of responsibilities. People take it very casually these days. It may be impossible for a man to deal with an inhibition-free woman in the personal space. I will not compromise with my work for any man. It's not about my career, it's about the fact that if I am portraying a certain character I will go to any length the director wants me to. If my partner is asking me not to do it because it's going to affect my personal life, then I am not someone who will agree to that.  

How would you define the status of your relationship with Suman?

It can be any kind. It can be a person with whom you share your time or just talk about insecurity, jealousy, fear... With Suman, I can talk rubbish and I know I will not be judged. I can hop from one man to a hundred! May be I don't want to settle down. I just want to spend some good time with him. And may be after a point we both won't want to spend time with each other. May be the interest point is over or we are bored of each other. Ask me whether I wanted it to work out or not. May be I wasn't serious. Over time you realise you cannot live with a particular man anymore. I have that option of spending time with a man for six months and then move on for whatever reasons, even if everything is picture perfect. Everyone has the option of moving on for whatever reasons. It's no big deal!

Anything you'd want to change about yourself?

To be sober in the next t2 party!

Minion23 thumbnail

Faridoon Shahryar @iFaridoon  

Watched #BachKeBakshy n was totally blown away by @itsSSR 's superlative dancing.Grt choreography by @LaurenGottlieb https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bjKQzuAaGOM ...

YouTube

User Actions
 Following
Faridoon Shahryar@iFaridoon

Candid pics 4m my interview with @itsSSR absorbing conversation...We started with a James Dean quote #TalkingFilms

Retweeted
Favorited
More

Bollywood Hungama @Bollyhungama  

.@itsSSR in a #BHExclusive with @iFaridoon poured his heart out on journey 4m being a background dancer 2 Stardom!!

Embedded image permalink
Embedded image permalink

Minion23 thumbnail

Lauren Gottlieb turns cabaret dancer for Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!

The International dancer, who made her way into Bollywood with Remo D'Souza's ABCD, Lauren Gottlieb will be seen in a sexy cabaret dancer's avatar.

The special song, "Calcutta Kiss" will be featured in Dibakar Banerjee's Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! Said to be an ode to cabaret dancers of 40s, in the dance number Lauren will be seen dancing with four masked guys. The masks are of film's main character, Byomkesh Bakshy.

Set in the year 1943, the film is about the first case the brilliant detective takes on. It is gearing for release on 3rd April and promises viewers to expect the unexpected.

The video of the song will release next week, but before that we bring you some stills from the song. Lauren will also be seen in ABCD 2 which is releasing in June!