Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rimi10 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Oh no...I am not liking this delay. Then why did they release the teaser so early in the first place. 
Minion23 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Dibakar Banerjee is set to recreate history

Author(s): 

Dibakar Banerjee and Sushant Singh Rajput.

The director whose next release is on the cult character Detective Byomkesh Bakshy will be bringing back all the aspect of the 1943 as the film is set in the era.
Not only has the director made it a point to look into the nuance elements of the era which is reconstructing the infrastructure, bringing back the glamorous clothes, etc. Dibakar is keen to mark some of the historic events with his film.
While the release of the film has been pushed to April the first poster was set to be launched in January. But Dibakar was keen on launching the poster on 20th December to mark an forgotten remarkable date in the History of India.
On 20th December1943, Japan has done aerial bomb attack on Calcutta right on The Great Eastern Hotel. Japan was then on a aerial attach spree and found Calcutta at a disadvantage making it a easy target.
The film is set in the back drop of World War 2 and it captures the Calcutta of that time.
Dibakar wanted to brink back the history to everyone. He along with Sushant Singh Rajput would be launching the first poster of the Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! at the very location, The Great Easter Hotel on 20th December 2014.
Dibakar Banerjee shares, "In late 1942 early 1943  Calcutta was the last frontier of the british empire holding out against the Japanese invasion of Asia. . as jap bombs were falling on Calcutta dockyard and the great eastern hotel, history was being created and Calcutta stepped on to the world stage. it's right here, that Byomkesh's first adventure catapulted him from anonymity to dangerous fame. i cant imagine a more fitting place to launch the first look of Byomkesh than this hotel - which right on this day in 1943, would be full of chaos and mayhem as bombs fell on it, right here - seventy years ago - with Byomkesh probably on the hunt for a murdered not far away!
Edited by SushitaLover23 - 9 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
^Just when we were all prepared for no big news about the film till Jan end at least, we got this!! I guess it's best to #ExpectTheUnexpected from this team, lol!!
Excited about the first poster! Bring it on! :D
krackjack thumbnail
Even the teaser starts with the mention of this bomb attack no? Interesting. 
Dhaa-Ki-Tiki thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I had no clue about the bombing in Calcutta that too at the Great Eastern.Excited for the poster.
Minion23 thumbnail

The big bang: Detective Byomkesh Bakshi to unveil poster in Calcutta on Saturday

The Telegraph, Calcutta

Wednesday, 17 December 2014 10:09 AM

Kolkata: Dibakar Banerjee has not only pulled out all the stops to make Detective Byomkesh Bakshy historically accurate, the man behind films like Shanghai and Love Sex Aur Dhokha also wants to link his Byomkesh Bakshy retelling with landmark historical events in the city it is based in.

Dibakar and leading man Sushant Singh Rajput " who plays Sharadindu Bandopadhyay's super sleuth " will be in Calcutta on December 20 to launch the first-look poster of their April 2015 film at The Lalit Great Eastern, located in the city's central business district. 

Dibakar, who launched his film in Calcutta's Burdwan Rajbari in July 2013 and has shot extensively at various city landmarks like Lalbazar and Tiretta Bazar, has picked what used to stand tall as Great Eastern Hotel at the time of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. 

"In late 1942-early 1943, Calcutta was the last frontier of the British empire holding out against the Japanese invasion of Asia. As Japanese bombs were falling on the Calcutta dockyard and (near) Great Eastern Hotel, history was being created and Calcutta stepped on to the world stage. It's right here that Byomkesh's first adventure catapulted him from anonymity to dangerous fame. I can't imagine a more fitting place to launch the first look of Byomkesh than this hotel," was the word from Dibakar. 

"According to the military chronicles of 1942 that we found in the National Library before we opened the hotel, it is evident that Japanese bombers were all over Calcutta and people were nervous about the air raids. There is evidence to support that a bomb did fall on the road (Waterloo Street) in front of the hotel on the night of December 20, 1942 and the bomb created a small hole there. The hotel may have been the target of the bomb but there is no clear evidence of that or that it fell on the hotel," said Rakesh Mitra, general manager, The Lalit Great Eastern. "We have received a request to hold the unveiling of the film poster in the hotel and I have been researching this subject for the last three-four days," he added.

With World War II as the backdrop and Byomkesh as a young man in his 20s finding his feet as a detective, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy was initially scheduled to hit screens in February 2015. However, post-production issues and scheduling conflicts have pushed its release to April. The first poster was due out in January in Mumbai, but Dibakar's eye on historical events surrounding his film means that it will now happen in Calcutta this Saturday. 

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy stars Anand Tiwari as Ajit with Swastika Mukherjee making her Bolly debut in the role of Anguri. The film's first teaser, launched in October with the tagline, Expect the Unexpected', has already notched in excess of one million views on YouTube.

Sharpener thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
OMG CANT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE. I didnt even know Sushant Singh was a tv actor, he sure doesnt look the type ðŸ˜† He was so rustic and real in KaPoChe, I fantasized about him for days <3
VJ_Salgaonkar thumbnail
sory 4 being off topic but that was my among the best childhood show .. That title song/music is damnnn nostalgic 😭 .. ah

Ok..I m done..
raj80 thumbnail
eagerly waiting for this movie...I feel that the DBB team will make this franchise movies... Edited by raj80 - 9 years ago
Minion23 thumbnail

Dibakar Banerjee ropes in Kolkata artists for Byomkesh Bakshy

DC | Natasha Coutinho |  December 18, 2014, 22.12 pm IST
Dibakar Banerjee

Mumbai: Dibakar Banerjee is set to pay a tribute to a historical event with his upcoming film Detective Byomkesh Bakshy. We hear that the film will have its first poster launch in Kolkata, where it is set. To be more authentic, Dibakar got local artists from Kolkata to paint the posters.

Our source reveals, "The film is set in 1943. The first poster launch will take place in Kolkata on December 20. That day in the year 1943 Japan had launched an aerial bomb attack on the city in the The Great Eastern Hotel. Those were the days Japan went on a spree of aerial attacks and Kolkata (Calcutta at that time) was an easy target. The poster will subtly capture this event while also providing a glimpse of Sushant Singh Rajput who plays the title role. The posters have been hand-painted by Kolkata artists and echo the artistic style of that period."