Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Prasoon Joshi, Shabana trash Naseeruddin Shah's opinion on BMB

Posted: 10 years ago

Prasoon Joshi, Shabana trash Naseeruddin Shah's opinion on Bhaag Milkha Bhaag

6 hours ago | TellychakkarTeam

One of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of 2013 was Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (BMB).

The comprehensive breathtaking bio-pic on Olympian athlete Milkha Singh has found an unlikely dissenter in thespian Naseeruddin Shah who has for reasons best known to him, lashed out at BMB, calling it and Farhan Akhtar's performance, "fake".

The remark has raised the hackles of many notable individuals in the entertainment industry. One of Naseer's old co-stars said, "Naseer should focus on the quality of his own work. After doing Jackpot he is in no position to pass judgement on any film, let alone one that has deeply moved and inspired Indians and non-Indians across the world."

Farhan's step-mother Shabana Azmi who has worked extensively with Naseer in some of the most influential films of Indian cinema says Naseer's opinion on Farhan's performance and the film are not appreciated.

Says Shabana, "Farhan was outstanding in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. His performance gave me gooseflesh. He has raised the bar for what actors should demand from themselves while portraying real-life characters. Naseer is entitled to his opinion. But most Indians don't agree with him."

While Rakeysh Mehra and Farhan Akhtar desisted from comment, Prasoon Joshi who has written BMB spoke on the controversy.

Says Prasoon, "I respect Naseer Saab and he's entitled to his opinion. But I don't agree with his opinion on BMB. I've written the film. It has inspired and connected with people all across the world. It was not meant to be a documentary or a niche film."

Commenting on Naseer's opinion that Farhan Akhtar doesn't resemble Milkha, Prasoon says, "In my opinion Farhan has done a great job in terms of the character that I wrote. I had deliberately incorporated tones of fact and fiction. He has shined in his interpretation of the character. There are no false notes at all in his performance."

Pavan Malhotra who plays Milkha's coach also stands staunchly by the film. "You can't please everyone. I was and I am very happy to be part of BMB"

When we cross-checked with Naseer he admitted he was not impressed by BMB. "But the makers are convinced they've made a masterpiece. Look, spare me, will you? No one involved with that film gives a damn about my opinion. And I am not really keen to hurt their feelings."

Director Ajay Bahl agrees with Naseeruddin Shah.

Says Bahl, "I didn't like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag at all. I found the film too long. The script went all over the place and the direction was over-indulgent. However I think Farhan Akhtar did a splendid job of recreating Milkha Singh's persona. The film just didn't match his performance."

Well, different views from different people...let us know your thoughts on Bhaag Milkha Bhaag!!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

A_la_mode thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Anybody knows why Shah hates Farhan?! This is not the first time he has put him down!
ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

The film was forgettable! I can't even recall it, I only remember not liking it.

That said, why the brouhaha over Naseer's liking or not liking the film? It's his opinion, and if he found it fake, he found it fake. So because "most Indians liked it", Naseer is not allowed to say what he feels? What dross
Karenina thumbnail
The film was average. Nothing to write home about. Can understand Nasser's POV. Don't know why they're making such a big fuss. Indian filmmakers cannot seem to make great biopics and ROM is a very average filmmaker.
Johnny.Balraj thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Kareenafanatic

The film was average. Nothing to write home about. Can understand Nasser's POV. Don't know why they're making such a big fuss. Indian filmmakers cannot seem to make great biopics and ROM is a very average filmmaker.

Paang Singh Tomar???

Mrignaini thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
It doesn't take very long for Shabana's goose flesh to rise does it (ref. to her rapturous praise for Kareena in LOC) it seems. Farhan was impressive but praise from Shabana doesn't seem to help his cause much. The only thing going against the movie was its length.
grounder thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
The movie sucked big time ... I had to fast forward it and I still couldn't watch even half of it ... ewww at farhan ðŸ¤¢
The man is a delusional fool.

I don't care if he didn't like the film, what bothered me was him saying that the film wasn't realistic enough because Farhan looked too buff compared to what Milkha used to look.

Are you serious, crazy old man?

This is the movie business, everything is glorified. That's what showbiz is.
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Title of thread is misleading, both said Naseer has his own opinion, no way they trash it, just that they don't agree to it. Trashing would be calling something to Naseer.
Just coz Naseer did Jackpot, he lost the right to like/dislike films? Who the co-star is who said this?

BMB was way too long film, Milkha Singh is a Sardaar, you write thesis on Farhan's character n his performance, kindly add 1 single Punjabi word 2 it, & now don't tell me Milkha Singh never spoked punjabi in those times when this film was made?

Farhan did best he could, no one can deny his handwork to get in shape just like athlete, Critics are going ga-ga over this film, doesn't mean everyone MUST like this as masterpiece. This is a trend now, What CRITICS will like will count as Actual WOM of film, they trash, ppl trash, they like, ppl like it(Not Movie going Audience). Even if u dn't like a critically aclaimed film, u can't say u dislike it. 
chimchimcher-ee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Bossman

The man is a delusional fool.

I don't care if he didn't like the film, what bothered me was him saying that the film wasn't realistic enough because Farhan looked too buff compared to what Milkha used to look.

Are you serious, crazy old man?

This is the movie business, everything is glorified. That's what showbiz is.

+ this...

Milkha is mighty pleased by him and he imagines that this was his life, he imagined he looked like that. Doesn't he have photographs of himself from 1960s Olympics.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3856854